Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

not after 9/11 either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
The Mac update is out that fixes all the crashes.

Also, I finally got the boots. The FT-500 Ceramics thought is probably the first one I’ve had that I’m probably going to erase along with volumetric poo poo. compressor when I’ve used it to raise endurance a bit.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Pulcinella posted:

The Mac update is out that fixes all the crashes.

Also, I finally got the boots. The FT-500 Ceramics thought is probably the first one I’ve had that I’m probably going to erase along with volumetric poo poo. compressor when I’ve used it to raise endurance a bit.

It is a good idea to keep that thought in mind

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

i am a moron posted:

In my experience, no. And PS:T and Disco don't have similar vibes to me. They have similar playstyles, and it took someone telling me how to play PS:T "right" after bouncing off of it for literally a decade to get into it.

And how is that? PS:T is one of my favorite games, but I played it a long time ago and never consulted any guide, so I probably played wrong?

I do remember is the combat system was very crappy and annoying but also very rarely the battles posed any difficulty,

edit: quoted the wrong post

edit 2: the only similarities I see between DE and PS:T is that they are both heavy on text and very well written

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 3, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
You gotta min/max on INT and WIS (I think) or all the best stuff is gated off. I kept trying to do fighty builds and it’s really not any fun. I was also like... 12? I think the first time I played and would reinstall now and again and bounce off. Wasn’t til years later that I played it through and beat it.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

whydirt posted:

PS:T is a very pre-9/11 game. I have fond memories of it, but I’m have no desire to revisit it.

A second Planescape has hit the second towerscape.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Eason the Fifth posted:

What does that mean

it's very 90s fantasy, very postmodern and idealist. lotta "what you believe is real for you." it's set at the end of history, all that's left is Figuring Yourself Out.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Doc Hawkins posted:

it's very 90s fantasy, very postmodern and idealist. lotta "what you believe is real for you." it's set at the end of history, all that's left is Figuring Yourself Out.

Yeah this. Basically that the biggest problem in the multiverse is a (white cis male) dude’s existential angst.

I still think it’s a good game, but i think DE will age better than PS:T has for both gameplay and story reasons.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

tfw people start talking like Measurehead irl

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

frajaq posted:

Incredible

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

frajaq posted:

I want to fondle and make out with this image in a tastefully erotic fashion

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Soysaucebeast posted:

Anyone have any tips or tricks or anything for Planescape?
http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Planescape:_Torment

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Doc Hawkins posted:

Interesting. I've felt the same way about certain movies as well, like Fight Club and American Beauty.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In a very US-centric sense Disco Elysium is kinda the culmination of the post-Obama mid-Trump cynicism of the 2010s. Its happiest moment involves a freakin' giant insect that doesn't even exist in its own fictional world. I love this drat game but two presidents later maybe history will look back on this as exhaustingly depressing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I don't know how someone can find Disco depressing, personally.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Lmao didn't think I would ever see the word "Sulla" on these forums (it's a slur for Muslims).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vegetable posted:

In a very US-centric sense Disco Elysium is kinda the culmination of the post-Obama mid-Trump cynicism of the 2010s. Its happiest moment involves a freakin' giant insect that doesn't even exist in its own fictional world. I love this drat game but two presidents later maybe history will look back on this as exhaustingly depressing.

The point is it did exist. Prior to Harry's investigation 00.00% of Insulindian Phasmids had been discovered, but at the end of the story the impossible happened. What could this mean?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Night10194 posted:

I think of it as more melancholy than anything. It feels both sad and beautiful at the same time, and there's a bit of focus on the regrets of the past. Certain actions and endings can imbue a little hope on all that, but for the most part it just feels like everything is slowly falling apart and everyone has accepted it. I can definitely see how someone wouldn't see the beauty and hope in that though, and would just think of it as sad and depressing.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

multijoe posted:

The point is it did exist. Prior to Harry's investigation 00.00% of Insulindian Phasmids had been discovered, but at the end of the story the impossible happened. What could this mean?

Night10194 posted:

let us be realists
for we must demand the impossible

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Doc Hawkins posted:

I agree with the reading (which is awesome, especially since 'what you believe is real' is a literal thing in the setting of the game), but for some reason I reflexively bounce off using 9/11 as a line that divides art and entertainment. I think it works as shorthand, but I also think a paradigm shift in philosophy or art is a matter of influence and accretion that takes years or even decades. (Then again, this isn't my field, and I don't know anything about how eras like modernism/post-modernism are dated. But this is a cool thing to learn about if anyone wants to keep talking about it. Not being sarcastic here.)

whydirt posted:

Yeah this. Basically that the biggest problem in the multiverse is a (white cis male) dude's existential angst.

I still think it's a good game, but i think DE will age better than PS:T has for both gameplay and story reasons.

lol, not to be pat, but I'd argue the description of a white cis dude's existential crisis being the biggest problem in the world is a pretty fair description of DE, too. I've only played through the game once, but how he solves that crisis determines whether or not the Pale consumes Revachol, IIRC?

ToxicAcne posted:

Interesting. I've felt the same way about certain movies as well, like Fight Club and American Beauty.

I know what you mean, but I think of these movies (along with Office Space) as being part of a late-90's zeitgeist that persisted past 9/11 and into the mid/late 00s. It took the Great Recession to remind people that boring and secure office jobs with benefits are actually good compared to the opposite.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 3, 2021

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I think there's a few other things wrapped in the notion of "pre-9/11" and "post-9/11" art -- and I'd also argue that a lot of people still live in & create art in a pre-9/11 mindset. And of course there's games/films/shows/books made before 2001 that qualify as "post-9/11 art." The key thing is globalization, both as a theme within fiction and as a real-world economic force.

Before 9/11 it's much easier to make a film or a show and sprinkle vague impressions of international conflicts into it: let's say a movie protagonist gets on a plane which is taken over by some terrorist. In the 90s, the audience isn't curious or worried about where that terrorist is from, it's just this vague idea of "somebody is angry out there, there's violent people for some reason" and the notion doesn't have to get explored any further. Creative executive figures care about how well this movie will do in the international market but primarily they're making films for white middle class suburban families in the USA / secondarily, other developed Westernized countries. The end-of-history mindset that Doc Hawkins mentioned earlier is an ideology that ignores or whitewashes the causes for violence or poverty seen outside the target market -- here in the developed world, we've evolved past these primitive conflicts, we like to have nice picket fences and nuclear families but THEY want to build their fences out of old rocket launchers and commit fratricide over the ownership of chickens.

9/11 forced people to take a stand on their beliefs about globalization: as an event it said, "Western financial institutions are the cause of violence & poverty in the post-colonial world," and the consequence is that the art we make has to agree/disagree/otherwise engage with that statement. Now you can't make a vague reference to a terrorist in fiction without prompting the audience to ask, "what kind of terrorist?" Now you can't make a film about dumb foreigners coming to the USA and misunderstanding everything about contemporary caplitalist culture without a political undercurrent or agenda.

The other thing is that 9/11 occurred in the midst of a global consumer market shift. Things aren't just made for target audiences in the USA anymore. Look at how, just recently, another Eastern European gaming company opted not to sell a videogame in the US (or wherever) because it might negatively affect their Chinese market access. This kind of political-economic maneuvering has always been around, but more for poo poo like strategic national resources and less for consumer goods (though there's some great historical case studies like tea or silk).

Disco Elysium is a post-9/11 fiction because Revachol is Frankenstein's Globalized Monster -- a fictional city where the losers of the cold war have been stapled onto the page next to the World Trade Center; a central hub of global trade that sends out violent "peacekeeping" forces to maintain market superiority but also a dirty backwater that receives the same violence. In 2002 I would never have imagined someone creating a story where the terrorists and the capitalists were living in each others' pockets like this, making the human relationships between people of different ideologies and the socioeconomic forces in the world equally believable. But that's what Revachol does, for sure. It's probably the most explicitly "post-9/11" piece of art in the medium of video games, in no small part because it signals that its own 9/11 is still coming.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
That's a fantastic answer, thanks for writing all that up. It also seems fair to state (probably obviously) that the democratization of the internet during the same era was a massive compounding factor?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Soysaucebeast posted:

I think of it as more melancholy than anything. It feels both sad and beautiful at the same time, and there's a bit of focus on the regrets of the past. Certain actions and endings can imbue a little hope on all that, but for the most part it just feels like everything is slowly falling apart and everyone has accepted it. I can definitely see how someone wouldn't see the beauty and hope in that though, and would just think of it as sad and depressing.
Yeah, I think a lot depends on mindset you go into it with. You're thrown into a world that is still grappling with the traumas of its past and inequities of its present, but the narrative does an incredible job of demonstrating the good (and the bad) one person can do on the margins.

When given the option to paint the wall, I went with the boring, sappy, and hopelessly vague option of "SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL IS GOING TO HAPPEN" because my Harry had just spent days fighting to make the world a better place and my head canon says he and those he's affected don't stop there. Something beautiful is going to happen if I have anything to say about it, drat it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I painted WHAT SHADOW LIES THERE, BENEATH THE BRIGHT GLEAM for reasons I can't quite recall

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Eason the Fifth posted:

That's a fantastic answer, thanks for writing all that up. It also seems fair to state (probably obviously) that the democratization of the internet during the same era was a massive compounding factor?

I would think so, yeah.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Cugel the Clever posted:

When given the option to paint the wall, I went with the boring, sappy, and hopelessly vague option of "SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL IS GOING TO HAPPEN" because my Harry had just spent days fighting to make the world a better place and my head canon says he and those he's affected don't stop there. Something beautiful is going to happen if I have anything to say about it, drat it.

Somehow I always interpreted this art option as more ominous instead, inspired by Apocalypse Cop :v:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Singing "Container, container, I'll paint you nice and red. Container, container, you now belong to Evrart." every day until March 2021

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Something I love is that for most containership carriers you can tell whose container is whose by it’s color. Hapag LLoyd is orange, CMA CGM is a blue, ONE is pink, etc.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Roctavian posted:

But that's what Revachol does, for sure. It's probably the most explicitly "post-9/11" piece of art in the medium of video games, in no small part because it signals that its own 9/11 is still coming.

Not to mention its own form of climate change that may or may not be man made in the form of the Pale expanding, threatening both global trade, stability and survival.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 4, 2021

Nazis Made Crysis
Dec 12, 2006

Chasing Pancho Villa on a Harley in the name of freedom.
i picked this game up and am feeling overwhelmed in the options! is my predilection towards talking going to cost me down the road as i eat up my time?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Nazis Made Crysis posted:

i picked this game up and am feeling overwhelmed in the options! is my predilection towards talking going to cost me down the road as i eat up my time?

Predilection towards talking? Bro, it's a text based game. It's all talking.

Nazis Made Crysis
Dec 12, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Predilection towards talking? Bro, it's a text based game. It's all talking.

I mean more towards how quickly I should be wrapping be conversations up, I noticed how I'm burning through daylight chatting bystanders up and figured this might affect me down the road

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Nazis Made Crysis posted:

I mean more towards how quickly I should be wrapping be conversations up, I noticed how I'm burning through daylight chatting bystanders up and figured this might affect me down the road

There isn't really a time limit in the game. Things do change as the days pass by, so if, for example, you spend all day on Day 1 chatting to randos and don't manage to deal with the body, some people are gonna comment on that. But nothing will break and it'll just be a slightly different playthrough.

The only real way you can seriously gently caress up is if you don't pay your hotel bill on day 2 and spend all your money on other crap. That can potentially soft-lock the game, so pay your bill once you have the money. Aside from that just enjoy the chatting, and just in case you haven't noticed, time doesn't actually advance while you are reading, only when you actually advance dialogue, so you definitely don't need to rush through reading the text that's displayed.

Nazis Made Crysis
Dec 12, 2006

Reveilled posted:

There isn't really a time limit in the game. Things do change as the days pass by, so if, for example, you spend all day on Day 1 chatting to randos and don't manage to deal with the body, some people are gonna comment on that. But nothing will break and it'll just be a slightly different playthrough.

The only real way you can seriously gently caress up is if you don't pay your hotel bill on day 2 and spend all your money on other crap. That can potentially soft-lock the game, so pay your bill once you have the money. Aside from that just enjoy the chatting, and just in case you haven't noticed, time doesn't actually advance while you are reading, only when you actually advance dialogue, so you definitely don't need to rush through reading the text that's displayed.

Awesome, thank you! Just wanted to make sure I didn't lock myself out of the bulk of the game due to my own poor time-management

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Also on Day 1, you want to talk to Garte ABOUT your sleeping options earlier rather than later. I thiiink Kim prompts you but popping back around 8pm gives you a good amount of time to do something about it, IIRC.

More just for a pleasant/smooth experience than actually pro-strats or anything.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There are no hard time limits at all, and if you think you've run into an insurmountable check you can come back to it later.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Getting over FOMO with thought options and rolling with it, plus that perceived loss of time (dealing with the body can take up most if not all of day one) stopped me from playing the game through when I first got it. Feels good once you know you have time to breathe.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I'm pretty sure I didn't start to address the body until day 2, and I didn't get rid of it until the 3rd day. I agree with you about getting over FOMO to really engage with this game, but the perceived time crunch is less of a problem than the desire to see your skill choices be fully relevant to the story (e.g. if I'm playing a full Shivers oriented harry, I'll be inclined to reload big Shivers checks if I fail any of them). Even in a game this good at story I think you still have to purge yourself of those impulses, mostly (reload when you want it's ok).

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

on my first playthrough I didn't get the body down until late day 2 and it sat there overnight. I haven't done it, but I've read it's possible to complete the game without ever actually getting the body down, which sounds plausible to me. Titus and company show up regardless and it's through them that the plot progresses, so with the stats and appropriate modifiers you could get by their checks without the bonuses from examining the body. is it possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
How necessary is sound in this game? Because of life I usually play games with the sound off. Would that work here? Since it is isometric, I'm assuming pausing is also easy, is that correct?