Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Doing my second playthrough and I fell for the Deepnest trap lmao, what a rude thing to put in your game.

E: ah gently caress I forgot that you get locked into City of Tears if you go in through the front door and now I can feel myself slipping back into the route I did my first time through the game, the one thing I said I wouldn't do this time.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Just beeline to the stag station and go somewhere else.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I got the surprisingly rare 100%-in-under-20-hours achievement. :toot: Those Switch playthroughs came in handy, I guess.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

I hope that Hornet's greater mobility in Silksong doesn't make off-screen/suddenly-appearing enemies a problem.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Doing my second playthrough and I fell for the Deepnest trap lmao, what a rude thing to put in your game.

E: ah gently caress I forgot that you get locked into City of Tears if you go in through the front door and now I can feel myself slipping back into the route I did my first time through the game, the one thing I said I wouldn't do this time.

If you're specifically going for a different route then you might have rolled with Deepnest. My favorite route through the game is Mantis Claw -> Tram Pass -> Kingdom's Edge -> first enter city via King's Station

dividertabs fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 9, 2021

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
yessssss, soul tyrant down! rematch against the very first boss now! I got a good unexpected laugh about the old moth tribe venerating the old, bright light so much

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Hollow knight multiworld is a thing now, if you ever wanted to play this with a friend and send each other items.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: cool

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Hhhrrrrmmmm trial of the fool time. I know I am this fool, just a matter of psyching myself up
I remember a big sleeping thing in the fungal core I believe it was? Can I interact with it now that my nail woke up?

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 13, 2021

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Yeah you can dream nail the giant shroom.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only thing I have left to do in this game is beat NKG. I have all the unbreakble charms,what were your winning set ups?

I’ve beaten Sekiro and Platinumed Bloodborne, I am quite sure I can do it, but I like to go in prepared. This is on my 104% completion file from last year before COVID.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Bust Rodd posted:

The only thing I have left to do in this game is beat NKG. I have all the unbreakble charms,what were your winning set ups?

I’ve beaten Sekiro and Platinumed Bloodborne, I am quite sure I can do it, but I like to go in prepared. This is on my 104% completion file from last year before COVID.

Unbreakable strength makes it shorter, sharp shadow will give you bigger dodge windows, but really it's just about knowing his moves so you know where to dodge and reacting fast enough to do it. He doesn't have multiple things going off independently that you have to anticipate and work around in advance - he's just fast and hits harder than most.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Assuming this is the main game where you need the Grimmchild, I kept it pretty vanilla with Unbreakable Strength, Stalwart Shell, and Quick Slash. You wind up with one notch leftover which I honestly forget what I put in.

NKG is a boss with basically no time to heal except between phases so I found better success in just going all in on offense but still leaning on Stalwart Shell to avoid getting put on tilt.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

It sounds like you have a whole lot more to do in this game.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I remember healing against Grimm II using the charm that turns you into a slug. It’s tricky to find good times for it but it’s not impossible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

nrook posted:

I remember healing against Grimm II using the charm that turns you into a slug. It’s tricky to find good times for it but it’s not impossible.

Its definitely possible but pretty hard to time right.

Bust Rodd posted:

Same. I'm using Joni's and Strength; overall it just seems like git gud. Just... a little too fast. I know all these patterns though so I just have to execute.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If you're quick you can do a lot of healing with Shape of Unn (the mobile healing charm) during his fire pillar attacks. I used Shape when you fight him in the DLC since you're down two Charm slots but by the time I got to Godhome I had learned to beat him without it. I think I rolled Unbreakable Strength + Mark of Pride + Shaman Stone + the two-slot "get more soul per hit" charm whose name escapes me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Arrhythmia posted:

It sounds like you have a whole lot more to do in this game.

I mean technically I could attempt Godhome stuff but that doesn’t seem fun. I’ve cleared white palace and palace of pain, I just need NKG and radiance and that’s everything but Godhome, isn’t it?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bust Rodd posted:

I mean technically I could attempt Godhome stuff but that doesn’t seem fun. I’ve cleared white palace and palace of pain, I just need NKG and radiance and that’s everything but Godhome, isn’t it?

Have you done White Defender or Failed Champion? They're balls hard. That's more I haven't actually beat, I keep forgetting about all the stuff in this game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
White Defender is hard? It's just dung defender, but more of. He's such a fun and easy punching bag. Hardest part is finding him, which is basically nethack-levels of impossible without being spoilered.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The rematches of White Defender can get pretty crazy, since it doubles mask damage each time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Most of the charms that improve healing are trap choices imo. If you instead take charms that make you more effective during a fight, then you won't need to heal as often.

Shape of Unn is an exception, because it gives you another damage avoidance tool

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Most of the charms that improve healing are trap choices imo. If you instead take charms that make you more effective during a fight, then you won't need to heal as often.

Shape of Unn is an exception, because it gives you another damage avoidance tool

Definitely agreed for higher level play, but they have a place in the earlier part of the game where you are expending your main resource (life) to explore further.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah definitely keep a different charm set for exploring than for boss fights

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm going to hunt down and stone cold murder whomever came up with this sawblade section

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hazardousmouse posted:

I'm going to hunt down and stone cold murder whomever came up with this sawblade section

Some of them are pretty tough. Definitely don't skip on the fact that you can pogo jump off sawblades, which even allows you to skip some sections if you're really crafty.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Some of them are pretty tough. Definitely don't skip on the fact that you can pogo jump off sawblades, which even allows you to skip some sections if you're really crafty.

I straight up can't figure out how to get past one section. Time for a chill out break.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

hazardousmouse posted:

Google up a white palace guide on YouTube. There’s good ones out there that aren’t speed run trick jumps the whole time.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The White Palace rules imo.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Hell yea, the white palace and path of pain are both the perfect amount of hard/satisfying.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The dichotomy of this lovely pleasant harp/piano music and BZZZZZZZZZZ is :discourse:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

The dichotomy of this lovely pleasant harp/piano music and BZZZZZZZZZZ is :discourse:

I couldn't stop laughing at the palace video I watched to figure out WTF because something about the person's sound mixing made the knight's feet slapping sound like duck feet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svzFprpFedw

https://i.imgur.com/36zsqKT.mp4

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 16, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Quick heals are incredibly powerful. When you're already super limited in terms of your healing opportunity, they give you way more freedom to either heal and still move or commit and go for a second heal in the same window.

Gonna be honest I can't remember if I ended up actually using it in my pantheon of hallownest runs, but I would still never call it a trap.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Quick focus and shape of unn gives you basically unlimited healing windows as long as you have Soul to focus.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

It's a lot less stressful if you equip the hiveblood charm.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

LLCoolJD posted:

It's a lot less stressful if you equip the hiveblood charm.

No, hiveblood is stupid. Use grubsong, soul catcher, deep focus and a nail extending charm.

Why would you wait forever after failing instead of instantly healing two masks for the price of one everytime you take damage?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

So you can check Twitter while you play. :v:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Seconding the 'skip hiveblood' advice. It slows the platforming down far too much, and pulls you out of the groove/tilts you during hard segments.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
When I play through hollow knight again, I'm gonna search for a "skip white palace" mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Not a bad idea but I don't even remember what the white palace is needed to unlock, just Radiance? Is it possible to just do Godhome instead? Or is it necessary to do white palace in order to get shade cloak?