Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
also the kedr is available level 1 and all smgs are unironically insanely fun to use and will shred scavs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Stux posted:

also the kedr is available level 1 and all smgs are unironically insanely fun to use and will shred scavs

true and fair, I was just thinking about the mp-5 kurz and how bad it is and forgot the humble kedr

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Stux posted:

This is the way

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Stux posted:

This.
SMGs are all pretty much garbage against PMCs with any armor, but when you’re starting out and you want to kill scavs for quests/loot/xp they do great.

I used to champion the SKS as the poor mans gun, but after a couple wipes I think the SMGs are better to start with.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
nikita make the pp-19 a trader purchase at level 1

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Bone stock SKS is what you use until level ten when the flea market becomes available and you can buy veprs with a kobra and minimal upgrades.

Also I generally struggle with the 1-10 period of the wipe as well, but it was made much easier with the 900 rounds of BP we got for free. I sort of snowballed off of it and got some gear that's pretty decent for early game. Still, I think I'm like level 16 right now and if I need to buy a gun I'm buying either the 762 or 366 vepr and using the either free (762 BP which I still have hundreds of rounds of) or buying 366 AP which is reasonably priced on the flea especially for a semi-auto.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Stux posted:

nikita make the pp-19 a trader purchase at level 1

This would make me so happy.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Another thing about SMGs, if you're in a group, and you've all got armor, then you're a lot less likely to TK somebody.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Ixtlilton posted:

I feel like I'm the only goon who hates buckshot though, you end up with 300 to arms and 200 to armor before you finally hit a headshot and even trying to leg scavs takes 4-5 shots for me from 10-ish meters, would rather use the stock sks than buckshot but ymmv.

Magnum buckshot or flechettes once they're available shred pretty nicely. I think the lesser buckshots underperform though and I avoid them.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Ixtlilton posted:

what gun should someone who's level 3 and has no inventory use, haki?

A vepr from their scav or a kedr, the kedr at least has good sights.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Mesadoram posted:

This would make me so happy.

It used to be, you could do pp19 and cobra from the start but they vandalized it.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Yeah I guess I exaggerated about the SKS stuff because I was salty. It's just that I REALLY hate bolt action and not crazy about sniping in general so using a gun I was told was more optimal wasn't fun and actually made me worse at the game. I didn't feel particularly able to defend myself carrying only a slow bolt sniper with 20 bullets in my inventory. I want to shoot people with an AR or SMG and not have to worry that 95% of all ammo types might as well be tissue paper.

Guess I'll just do solo scav runs and wait through their stupid cooldowns until I get a better handle on things instead of losing all my fun stuff 60 seconds after spawning over and over

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I updated the map descriptions a bit, and added maps with callouts for all of them except reserve, working on that one. I'll try to post a newbies guide to raid start tomorrow, to try and help some of you who are struggling with the "I died in less than a minute" experiences. Unfortunately, even when you do have a good feel for the maps and a good feel for shooting and spotting dudes, you can still have it end in less than a minute.

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Roman posted:

Yeah I guess I exaggerated about the SKS stuff because I was salty. It's just that I REALLY hate bolt action and not crazy about sniping in general so using a gun I was told was more optimal wasn't fun and actually made me worse at the game. I didn't feel particularly able to defend myself carrying only a slow bolt sniper with 20 bullets in my inventory. I want to shoot people with an AR or SMG and not have to worry that 95% of all ammo types might as well be tissue paper.

Guess I'll just do solo scav runs and wait through their stupid cooldowns until I get a better handle on things instead of losing all my fun stuff 60 seconds after spawning over and over

SKS is semi-auto action, I'm pretty sure

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
think going by context probably was annoyed with the sks slow top loading reload

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Stux posted:

think going by context probably was annoyed with the sks slow top loading reload

If only we had some flimsy pieces of machined metal...

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Stux posted:

yes

i'm doing scav runs on shoreline and am getting junk and learning the map even though I'm not fighting anyone. also it's nice that you can loot your scav of all his random gear afterwards. sometimes they have a few nice things, like the slug shotty with tac light I'll use on my main next time

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Also the big annoyance with the Kedr is for some reason they moved the 30 round mags to prapor level 3. Meanwhile you can just stroll down to Peacekeeper and buy 30 round MP5 mags no prob level 1.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Roman posted:

yes

i'm doing scav runs on shoreline and am getting junk and learning the map even though I'm not fighting anyone. also it's nice that you can loot your scav of all his random gear afterwards. sometimes they have a few nice things, like the slug shotty with tac light I'll use on my main next time

yeah shoreline is really nice for scav runs when youre learning, its a great combo of decent loot but both relatively large and with other players concentrated in an area you can avoid. gives you a chance to make some money and get your bearings in the game a bit more easily. scav runs are just great in general, always worth throwing them into a map off cooldown

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I hated 1-10 this wipe too. I lost everything and my survival ratio was under 10% and it took like 60 raids. Now I'm soon 15 and get lvl2 traders. Money has been rolling in quite well. I realized that a mag of 5.45 BS or Igolnik is only 30000rub with the mag, and a fistful of bolts sells for double that.

I use AK-74N with okp-7. It has a dovetail mount and is cheaper overall than the 25k bastion covers or whatever from flea. Also 5.45 ammo is cheap compared to 5.56

So I've been doing Pilgrim runs to the eastern Woods village with 50000rub in my butt pocket to avoid running back to outskirts.. and forgetting to add money to my butt. Thr eastern village has 3000rub car extract literally next to it.

There's sometimes one or two players there, and pscavs too. Sometimes no one. Lots of expensive mats all around, one run had 2 corrugated hoses in the backyard...

With Comtacs it is reasonably easy to avoid getting completely surprised. I started using headphones too after looting some and realizing "holy poo poo I can hear that dude moving from sooo far away".

Pilgrim costs under 1 fistful of bolts and you can fit so much poo poo into a pilgrim...

---

Customs sometimes is really hard. I lost 3 gas analyzers yesterday. Sometimes you get some really sweet loot. Hardest part is surviving the first 5-10mins, after that I quite rarely die anymore.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 4, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
with surviving the start of customs, its down to know where youve spawned quickly. there are players who will rush nearby spawn spots immediately and around big red theyre extremely close together so you need to move straight away, preferably away from the other players if youre not looking for a fight.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Started again this evening, running the veritable strat of “use whatever guns and ammoI have in my stash” technique. Really looking forward to getting the flea market unlocked again, need another few levels.

High point was hearing someone on the outskirts of interchange, whilst I was moving in, popping them in the face with the crappy TT pistol I had and getting a mid tier set and night vision goggles from a level 35 (which seems a pretty high level, wipe was recent right?!).

Low point was hearing someone coming up behind me on customs, preparing to ambush and forgetting to set my SMG to full auto, and dying to what should have been an easy kill. handful of customs runs so far have failed dismally to find scavs before players, probably just bad luck.

Quick question, has the price of bitcoins been upped, I swear when I used to play at the start of last year they were worth about 100k. Not the 450k that the therapist just gave me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Real Cool Catfish posted:

from a level 35 (which seems a pretty high level, wipe was recent right?!).

Wipe was a week and a half ago, Dec 24th.

There are already sweatlords who are level 50+ with the kappa container (awarded by what is basically an "endgame" quest).

Also NVGs aren't that hard to come by, Skier sells a decent pair at level 2 rep. The quad-scope/eye ones are Peacekeeper level 3 I think?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also the big annoyance with the Kedr is for some reason they moved the 30 round mags to prapor level 3. Meanwhile you can just stroll down to Peacekeeper and buy 30 round MP5 mags no prob level 1.

On the other hand, Kedr is not as easily stealable as the MP5, it's main competitor in the level 1 subguns and 9x18 is quite a bit cheaper than cheapest 9x19.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Apparently tokarev ammo has pretty good penetration in real life, they should make competitive (30+ pen) rounds for 9x18 and 7.62 short.

Also let me put a sight on the ppsh in some bubba way

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

Malefitz posted:

So do you just try to headshot other PMCs or how does that work out?
Or do you try to grab anything and rush out?

I try to click people in the face, it's super intense and a lot of fun. Doing factory for loot is a terrible idea unless you're an alpha chad going in hot with a group of buddies

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Did woods for the first time last night, to get the Jaeger camp, me and two friends. The raid timeline would be:

00:01
"Ok, based on the extraction locations I think we're in the South East, so let's head North West, towards that cell tower."

00:02
"Why do you both only have sub machine guns?"
"We thought, you know, it would be a CQB map, like a dense forest."

00:05
"I don't see the cell tower anywhere on this map? Ok I can see the lake up ahead, let's head to that."

00:07
"I don't understand, these are ponds; none of this is on the map?"
"How old is this map?"
"When did we come in, the evening right? It's getting dark."

37:00
"OK OK look I'll drink half of the grape juice and then I'll drop it for you and-"
"Guys where is the MRE I can't see it on the ground my vision is going-"
"It's so dark, just stay on the railroad it leads to Customs, we can see the towers"

40:00
"What the fuuuuck is a friendly scav??"

We followed the wall west(east? map has south "down"?) and managed to extract at UN roadblock. It was harrowing and stressful at the time but, as soon as we out, we realized that raid was everything we wanted from Tarkov.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Quick question, has the price of bitcoins been upped, I swear when I used to play at the start of last year they were worth about 100k. Not the 450k that the therapist just gave me.

It's tied to the IRL Bitcoin price

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Did woods for the first time last night, to get the Jaeger camp, me and two friends. The raid timeline would be:

new woods feels like a really expansive ARMA map. it feels really nice to play now, and I've had fewer "oh. guess a guy with a mosin was looking this way." moments, unless I'm actively looking for fights.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

New Woods is great but not gonna lie kinda dreading that last Tarkov Shooter task this time around.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

All this talk about what guns a new player should use....

As a new player the best guns to use are whatever your scav rat run brings you.

Especially if your PMC missions is to kill scavs, it doesn't matter how trash your ammo is. What matters is that you don't care about anything you're wearing.

Buying guns as a new player only to lose them can be really demotivating. Getting 'free' guns from a scav run only to lose them on your PMC run doesn't seem as annoying to me at least.

As a newbie scav your best bet is to avoid the popular scaving maps early on like Reserve and Factory - but once you get the hang of avoiding combat, Reserve and Factory can be incredibly profitable for a sneaky scav run and can set you up with enough guns for 3-4 PMC runs.

My personal approach to the early game is that if I'm fighting a PMC, I already hosed up.

Scav runs on Shoreline can be extremely easy and profitable, get a map of the hidden stashes and plot a course out that hits them, odds are pretty good that you won't see another soul if you avoid the resort (No reason to go to the resort as a scav imo, you don't have the keys and you're just going to run into people.)

Woods can also be a really good map to scav on, there are tons of loot locations and it's a large enough map that you may never see another player. The size is also a downside to the map in that you're going to spend a lot of time just running from loot location to loot location to exit.

Make a habit of using your scav runs as free loot runs every chance you get. If your scav run is ready and you're about to log for the night - don't - hit up factory as a scav. If you're quick you can loot a few bodies and run for the exit in under 5 minutes. It doesn't matter if you extract with crappy stuff or just end up shot 20 seconds in. It just takes 1 lucky factory scav run to walk out with 2 guns on your back and 2 more in your backpack and failure doesn't cost you anything.

When you're feeling ready to move up in the rat scav world, try doing reserve regularly, avoid the players and take down raiders, loot one or two and sneak off to extract. You won't succeed every time, but the times that you do will be worth it. Plus your scav runs at reserve and factory will prepare you for these rather PMC hostile maps.

I absolutely suck at the pvp in this game, but my scav runs keep my bank account full enough for it to not matter at all.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 4, 2021

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Woods really, really feels to me like what a Tarkov map should be like. I'm looking forward to Streets.

Put together this short clip to illustrate the "compensating for full auto" mechanics for newer players. This is with a slightly modded AK-104 with a silencer, buttpad'ed standard stock, and no foregrip. I try to compensate a bit for the recoil in the bursts and the full auto as well by moving my mouse down. With this gun, you can really tell how much bursts are penalized by the mechanics.

https://streamable.com/6cx3ow

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

This game is going to be fun as hell on Streets but I really want to see this game support 40-player games first.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Gabriel S. posted:

This game is going to be fun as hell on Streets but I really want to see this game support 40-player games first.

As a filthy rat, the last thing I want from Tarkov is even more PMCs on a map...the reduction in scav spawns this wipe is really annoying though...

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

FileNotFound posted:

...the reduction in scav spawns this wipe is really annoying though...

the speculation on the subreddit is that scavs don't spawn at map start anymore for performance reasons. people have been doing their intro quests by hiding in a bush for 20 minutes before going to scav spawns :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/kpihq6/maps_feel_scavempty_right_now/

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 4, 2021

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

the speculation on the subreddit is that scavs don't spawn at map start anymore for performance reasons. people have been doing their intro quests by hiding in a bush for 20 minutes before going to scav spawns :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/kpihq6/maps_feel_scavempty_right_now/

Yup my experience has been that you don't really find a lot of scavs till the players scav wave which also spawns in a bunch of AI scavs.

This really sucks for newbies especially on customs as what basically happens is that as soon as you spawn, odds are if a group spawned close to you, they are rushing towards your spawn to kill you. The kill 5 scavs quest that used to get done in 1 raid as part of doing all the other customs crap becomes a chore which requires multiple customs runs.

A few days back I brought a brand new player to customs, he literally made it 6ft from spawn before getting headshot. (I made it half way across the map before the same guy blew my brains out - and I never saw him or where he was sniping from.)

Scavs aren't just good for killing, they also serve as alerting you to the presence of players and serve as roadbumps for the groups who are on the map to hunt other PMCs.

The other issue is that for trash rats like myself and newbies not having plenty of scavs to pop for easy xp slows their progression down quite a bit. I do hope that the change is just due to server performance and will go back to the 'old' spawn rate eventually as while I enjoy PvP in tarkov in a group, solo I generally want no part of it - because yes I'm trash.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I started playing last week and had no idea the game used to have a more robust cushion of AI scavs, that, uh, sounds nice.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

FileNotFound posted:

Scavs aren't just good for killing, they also serve as alerting you to the presence of players and serve as roadbumps for the groups who are on the map to hunt other PMCs.

Yeah the current scav situation sucks. It's taking me forever to get 15 kills in customs, I've killed more players than scavs on customs so far. The map feels weirdly empty because of the lack of scavs.

Oh well guess it's time to hide in a bush and wait 20 minutes. Bush hiding simulator 2021.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

mysteryberto posted:

Oh well guess it's time to hide in a bush and wait 20 minutes. Bush hiding simulator 2021.

That's pretty much how I got my customs kills, spawned, ran for a bush by the river. Went to walk to dogs, came back with 15 minutes left, headed for extract and killed scavs alone the way, didn't see a single PMC...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

A bunch of the popular streamers complained that it was too difficult with the old SCAV spawn system especially on maps like Reserve because it interrupted their loot runs! Essentially spawning in at the start of the game and just beelining PMC Spawns trying to get a lucky kill.

Personally, I don't think SCAVs should spawn at the very start of a game but no more than 4-8 minutes depending on the map.