Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Even doing this is way too honest

- Made <job> great again: $500

:hmmyes:

It's actually just invoiced as "billable work" and "non billable work."

It's ALWAYS billable.

Consultants are literally the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Josef bugman posted:

Okay?

Talking about police in the UK mate. They don't murder nearly as many people in the street, just a lot of people in police cells or unarmed Brazilians on the tube. So it clearly "isn't a serious problem". https://irr.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Dying_for_Justice_web.pdf#page=77 and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Jean_Charles_de_Menezes respectively there.

No, it is a serious problem in the UK. And?

quote:

It's not insane really mate. The police don't solve most crimes, and often don't exist to protect people but to act as enforcement for what currently exists.

Umm, yeah see, this is what I meant by above. Stand back because this might be a shock to you, but...the police in Finland actually solve most crimes. It was in fact a huge controversy when the rate dropped somewhat a while back. The article is in Finnish but I imagine translate is good enough.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-10919613

In fact if you look at the stats at the bottom, it is the property crimes where they are the worst at solving. That is because even a guy stealing beer from a shop is classified as such, and that is such a common occurrence in Finland we have a term for it. Violent crimes, not a single precinct hits less then half.

quote:

"Lots of people are racist, not just in the police" is not the slam dunk you seem to believe it is. "Finland has a problem with institutionalised racism but you cannot say that ACAB because it applies to all subsets of a security state". Like, this is bananas reasoning, can you see that?

I think it is bananas reasoning to claim Finnish police are institutionally racist when that claim starts with the assumption they don't solve most crimes and solely exist to protect property, much less without any actual evidence for their institutional racism.

quote:

Can everyone else see this? Am I being unreasonable here?

Appeals to authority won't save you.

quote:

Also if other people think that it is a systemic thing within the society and it is also present within the police, does that not mean that the police are systemically racist?

Finnish society is not perfect and has racists. It isn't reflected in the system that much, as opposed to racism in the private sector. Hell, the current leftist government is actually driving making anonymous recruiting an wider and more official process beyond the government entities that already employ it.

quote:

Because the people who did it trained the people who now operate there and were never held to account for torturing people into a confession. Sure CPD is worse. Doesn't mean the Icelandic police force is good does it?

Uh how much torturing do you think the Icelandic police force engages in today? I would like you to cite something other then a single case from an era where zero said people are working today.

quote:

I keep providing you evidence. You then say "that evidence that you showed me is not up to my standard". What would it take to prove to you that the police service you live with is part of a system of abuse that is usually aimed at the impoverished as opposed to the powerful? What sort of evidence would be good enough?

Probably some evidence you actually know anything you are talking about Finland or Iceland or whatever instead of ideological declarations and complete misunderstanding of things like the clearance rate of Finnish police.

quote:

Okay mate, if you say so.

I do. My standards honestly aren't all that strict. Institutional evidence for institutional claims.

Lemming posted:

I never said or implied that Finland was doing worse than America, that's something you made up. You're still doing very poorly on the "is there an exception to ACAB?" front, though! Those things aren't exactly mutually exclusive.

https://medium.com/@turpinrt/why-are-finnish-police-trusted-so-much-more-than-american-police-255b754f68c0

We're doing pretty great, nobody has provided any evidence to the contrary. You haven't even bothered to try, instead squeezing out this weak-rear end poo poo. What actual argument of mine have you responded to? Quotes, please.

quote:

And all I did was show you your own words, to reinforce my point that you're a hypocrite, which you objectively are

Then objectively prove it, honey.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 4, 2021

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

As someone who lives in a parliamentary system its baffling that the losers of the election gets to gently caress around for like 3 month and have essentially free reign to do what the gently caress they want for three months to screw over their opponent.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Stickman posted:

The Reuters analysis makes no effort to account for any confounding factors, and the only analyses in Brennan Center link that is less prone to confounding are the temporal analyses showing that elected judges give longer sentences and more often override life sentences in favor of the death penalty during election years.

I'm not saying your wrong about elected judges, but the evidence is not high quality and you should be ready to point out the specific evidence suggesting it can't be explained by other differences between sentencing in different states. The ideal evidence would be pre-post/time-series studies of areas that have changed their methods of selecting judges, but I haven't found any such studies in a quick search.

I mean I don't disagree, but given the context I'm not sure if "not high quality evidence" is the most relevant criticism or if the effort required to find high quality evidence is actually meaningful.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

I read the study. It doesn't concern only police officers, but border officials, customs officials, private security guards and salespeople.The police form only a small part of that. Finland has its problems with racism, it isn't particularly more presented in the police then in the rest of society.

Yeah it's the same here: cops aren't any more racist than your average person, they just have a gun and the ability to use it on people legally, that's the problem.

Republicans and thin blue line people and Trumpers aren't some inscrutably magically evil and racist subspecies of human found nowhere else but America. They're people who are marinated in a sea of right-wing propaganda that tells them their values and way of life are under attack, that bad other people are coming to take everything they have, and that while yes some cops are racist or commit crimes, those are an anomaly, and angry malcontents are just using those examples to attack and destroy the good institution of policing that is after all the only thing standing between us and chaos.

Since you're looking at it from the outside, you easily identify that propaganda for the bullshit that it is, yet when it comes to your own country you make the exact same arguments: "police aren't bad, just because they're racist, because you see everyone is racist so it's not a problem"

E: parallels here to how you rejected Bush's wars of regime change because you weren't subjected to the war propaganda campaign, but you support the cruel and murderous sanctions regime of Bush the Elder because your country was subjected to the huge propaganda effort for that atrocity. And for doing the same to Cuba and Venezuela, etc

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 4, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I hadn't seen this detail before, but not only is Trump giving Devin Nunes the Medal of Freedom this week, he's giving it to loving Gym Jordan next week. Jesus Christ.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Time for congress to retire that medal. Ugh.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah it's the same here: cops aren't any more racist than your average person, they just have a gun and the ability to use it on people legally, that's the problem.

I dunno, the cops have a very long and healthy relationship with the KKK and other white power movements. it's no coincidence that the violent right-wing racist groups come out to support the police, and it's no coincidence that the cops handle those movements with kid gloves as opposed to the absolute brutality they treat everyone else.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

TulliusCicero posted:

Instead he decides to be a spiteful dipshit

Yeah, but this IS Trump. He's been a spitefull dipshit all his life, to the point he even ruined some woman's life because she didn't introduce him to her friend. Trump is that guy that in the olden days would have been run out of town by the populace or likely died for pissing off the wrong people. Unfortunately now half the population of the country sees him as an example of what to aspire to be.

Angry_Ed posted:

I forget what it's called but there's that rule about how anything with the name "Freedom" or "Liberty" in its name is actually against those things and as usual this rule remains correct.

Same as any handle with an american flag of some sort is a chud/Nazi

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

VitalSigns posted:

The average person is far more racist in America, then. Not surprising with 40% being open white supremacists.

EDIT: also I would say that violent racists/corrupt individuals would seemingly naturally gravitate to any of the like 1000+ American police forces and because your standards are non-existent, more easily able to get in

EDIT 2: While the average police officer in Finland, thanks to it being a literal 180 three-year Bachelor's degree where the physical requirements, psych evaluations and tests in general are actually pretty difficult...making it less likely (though if course not impossible) for violent racists to get in. So an argument can be made that they would be less racist then the average person, that correlating with education almost universally (no I am not claiming there are no educated racists)

Just food for thought.

quote:

Republicans and thin blue line people and Trumpers aren't some inscrutably magically evil and racist subspecies of human found nowhere else but America. They're people who are marinated in a sea of right-wing propaganda that tells them their values and way of life are under attack, that bad other people are coming to take everything they have, and that while yes some cops are racist or commit crimes, those are an anomaly, and angry malcontents are just using those examples to attack and destroy the good institution of policing that is after all the only thing standing between us and chaos.

There's nothing special about Trump supporters. There's something pretty special about American teary-eyed decorum for them, though. Again, fabricating a point I am supposedly making, out of thin air.

quote:

Since you're looking at it from the outside, you easily identify that propaganda for the bullshit that it is, yet when it comes to your own country you make the exact same arguments: "police aren't bad, just because they're racist, because you see everyone is racist so it's not a problem"

According to widespread evidence that I don't even have to show to you, the American police are institutionally racist. Zero evidence has been provided by you or anyone else as to Finnish police being that.

You have been seemingly traumatized by the horrible police in your country. There is nothing but emotion behind your claims. I could paint a horrible picture out of every single public individual, organization or system if all it took was just an news case or two. That is not how evidence works. And that is not the evidence behind the institutional racism of the police in the United States.

That is however all the evidence you or anyone else can peddle me, about a country I know none of you are familiar with. Unfair? Sure. Doesn't mean I'm going to let you get away with bullshit even if it is based on poo poo all.

quote:

E: parallels here to how you rejected Bush's wars of regime change because you weren't subjected to the war propaganda campaign, but you support the cruel and murderous sanctions regime of Bush the Elder because your country was subjected to the huge propaganda effort for that atrocity. And for doing the same to Cuba and Venezuela, etc

Again, fabrication. Quote me or shut up.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 4, 2021

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

BigglesSWE posted:

Leave it to Trump to be so utterly stupid that he’ll raise the serious question of impeachment among lawmakers 3 weeks before his presidency ends.

At this point, he just wants to poo poo down the office for posterity, right?

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1345902964075069440?s=21

LoL

Sounds like a speech Commandant Eric Lassard would give

FlamingLiberal posted:

I hadn't seen this detail before, but not only is Trump giving Devin Nunes the Medal of Freedom this week, he's giving it to loving Gym Jordan next week. Jesus Christ.

Lol, that medal has become what the Nobel is to Conservatives. Good job president fuckstick

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 4, 2021

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

President trump is taking a brief trip to the surface of the sun and will be back in time for dinner. All hail great leader and sun god president trump.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

DarkCrawler posted:

The average person is far more racist in America, then. Not surprising with 40% being open white supremacists.

I mostly ignore your posts, but this is a hell of a claim. Please show your source on this..... on a quick search, the only thing I could find as of a few years ago was ~9%: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/28-approve-trumps-response-charlottesville-poll/story?id=49334079

Kalit fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 4, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kalit posted:

I mostly ignore your posts, but please show your source on this..... on a quick search, the only thing I could find as of a few years ago was ~9%: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/28-approve-trumps-response-charlottesville-poll/story?id=49334079

I think the gist is every open Trump supporter is a white supremacist by virtue of being a Trump supporter. I don't disagree.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think the gist is every open Trump supporter is a white supremacist by virtue of being a Trump supporter. I don't disagree.

Yeah that was my takeway: Trump's been pretty open about his racism, so if you openly voted for him, even if you somehow missed all the racism, you are supporting a racist cause.

Something something if one guy is a Nazi and he's at a table with 10 other people, it's likely the table now has 11 Nazis.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Ahhh, okay. Thank you for the explanation. I mean, I disagree because it's simplifying things as much as saying 98.3% of people openly support rape but :shrug:

Kalit fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 4, 2021

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I'm willing to bet that the staff at the White House are just clearing out the cabinets and desks while Trump thinks he's staying there. His schedule for the next two weeks is going to be just sitting around giving medals to assholes and pardons. Oh that and rallies. I seriously hope they fly him somewhere and leave him to go pick up President Biden.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So each president has been paid for speeches etc post presidency. Will trump be joining them? I really don't see him talking to walslstreet bankers for $400,000

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I'm willing to bet that the staff at the White House are just clearing out the cabinets and desks while Trump thinks he's staying there. His schedule for the next two weeks is going to be just sitting around giving medals to assholes and pardons. Oh that and rallies. I seriously hope they fly him somewhere and leave him to go pick up President Biden.

apperently that is whats happening. the staffers are cleaning poo poo and trying to get out while Melanie loots the place. the rumors and poo poo i hear is trumps gonna try to do his own inauguration or some dumb rear end rally the same day and time as bidens.

namelesstwo
May 7, 2007
the uber joker
What’s the endgame here for the gop?

When Biden is sworn in what happens?

Trump continues to say he is president?

I just realized what would happen, the gop bootlickers in the house will have congressional meetings at mar a lago, book it!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah that was my takeway: Trump's been pretty open about his racism, so if you openly voted for him, even if you somehow missed all the racism, you are supporting a racist cause.

Something something if one guy is a Nazi and he's at a table with 10 other people, it's likely the table now has 11 Nazis.

Or — if you're legitimately not a racist, then racists bug you too much for you to want to associate with them. It's sort of an overriding concern. That's kind of what being not a racist is

A non-racist or non-fascist won't "hold his nose" to vote for Trump because if it really bothered him to be lumped in with racists and fascists, he would have made a big loving deal about it and objected to Trump's presence from day 1.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/gregorybrothers/status/1345822710304268288?s=19

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

So each president has been paid for speeches etc post presidency. Will trump be joining them? I really don't see him talking to walslstreet bankers for $400,000

there will be paid rallys or some poo poo, where he will charge morons big fees to watch him belovate and jerk off for a couple hours while they clap.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

namelesstwo posted:

I just realized what would happen, the gop bootlickers in the house will have congressional meetings at mar a lago, book it!

They are not thinking that far ahead, they have a tiger by the tail

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I dunno, the cops have a very long and healthy relationship with the KKK and other white power movements. it's no coincidence that the violent right-wing racist groups come out to support the police, and it's no coincidence that the cops handle those movements with kid gloves as opposed to the absolute brutality they treat everyone else.

The President told white supremacists to stand by live on television and got 70 million votes

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Bellmaker posted:

In case you were still unsure if this rear end in a top hat was being set up or not:

https://twitter.com/ZackDavisson/status/1344811166984413185

Like how do you do some kind of sanity screening on the people administering this stuff to prevent others from following their example?

Great, so now we have the psycho cult from Contact to deal with along with the Qberts.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

namelesstwo posted:

who knows and there isnt really one. its mostly just feeding trumps ego and hoping he fucks off or something after the election. my honest guess is he says/tries to do way way worse poo poo after the 6th and than gets mad when none of it works. i think either he will be quietly escorted out or go to florida and have some big rally and have an special "inauguration" or some poo poo while bidens doing his. i dont think the GOP will implode but i wouldnt be shocked if the more insane part fully buys into trumps bullshit and eggs him on, like they are doing now.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 4, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

The President told white supremacists to stand by live on television and got 70 million votes

Police Unions openly pitched their support for Trump. That says all you need to know about their feelings about White Supremacy and Right Wing feelings.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Trump suing Secretary of State Raffensperger over recorded call, Ga. RNC chairman says

quote:

ATLANTA — A recorded one-hour discussion between President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger will now be heading to the courts, according to Georgia's Republican Party chairman.

Hours after the Washington Post broke the story of a call where Trump is heard pressuring the state election head to "recalculate" the votes, Republican Party chair David Shafer said the president plans to sue.

"President @realDonaldTrump has filed two lawsuits - federal and state - against @GaSecofState," Shafer tweeted. "The telephone conference call @GaSecofState secretly recorded was a 'confidential settlement discussion' of that litigation, which is still pending."

Shafer, earlier in the afternoon, called the recording "mind boggling" and suggested that it was done by Raffensperger and his lawyers.

The hits keep coming

e: Oh, also according to a military memo or some such, the inauguration parade is cancelled

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

James Garfield posted:

I cannot emphasize enough how easy it was to find this. This isn't a controversial issue, the arguments in favor of elected judges aren't that they are less tough on crime.

I think some of the recent trends with DA elections may change this somewhat in some areas.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Trump suing Secretary of State Raffensperger over recorded call, Ga. RNC chairman says

The hits keep coming

e: Oh, also according to a military memo or some such, the inauguration parade is cancelled

There's the classic Trump we know - suing people that exposed him as a corrupt idiot.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

You desperately grasp into post history because once again you decided to go into a subject you know jack and poo poo about, have provided no evidence to support your conclusions and keep claiming things that are not simply true. Get mad when this is pointed out to you? Tough.

DarkCrawler posted:

Again, fabrication. Quote me or shut up.

So is looking at your old posts off limits or not, I can't tell lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1345930857182322694

cotton decided he doesnt want to go down with the fuhrer and wants to run again.

https://twitter.com/guypbenson/status/1345814841282486272

https://twitter.com/guypbenson/status/1345814846282092545

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1345930857182322694

cotton decided he doesnt want to go down with the fuhrer and wants to run again.

It's going to be really interesting to see how that works in primaries against more devout Trump loyalists

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

...OK, I'm not sure what this supposed to mean other than "White supremacists love cops, and cops love white supremacists". Perhaps we are speaking past each other?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Cpt_Obvious posted:

To be clear: high level judge appointment is almost universal for blue states.

To be clear, that is because blue states tend to choose policies that are less hosed up than red states.

And having politician/judges is hosed up

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
So I guess the playbook for the GOP going forward will be to drum up the “stolen election” talking points all the way to 2024, and trust the media circus around it to just overwhelm any and all contrary evidence of that?

Doesn’t really matter what happens now, only what people won’t remember of the now. See also: Bush Jr. is such a loveable goof!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

...OK, I'm not sure what this supposed to mean other than "White supremacists love cops, and cops love white supremacists". Perhaps we are speaking past each other?

I'm just saying I don't think cops are especially racist compared to the rest of the population, they just have the legal ability and institutional power to act on it.

To be clear, when I say that I don't think police are worse than other Americans, I'm not saying police are okay, I'm saying normal Americans are just that bad. Yeah police treat white supremacists with kid gloves, 70 million Americans just made it clear that they not only want that but think it would be good if white supremacist paramilitaries installed Trump as president.

I'm not really disagreeing with you on anything fundamental I don't think.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lemming posted:

It's going to be really interesting to see how that works in primaries against more devout Trump loyalists
To be honest I think it probably costs him his 2024 aspirations

Any of the non-Trump candidates planning to run in four years have to walk a tightrope between being a serious candidate and also kowtowing to the Trump base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

I'm just saying I don't think cops are especially racist compared to the rest of the population, they just have the legal ability and institutional power to act on it.

To be clear, when I say that I don't think police are worse than other Americans, I'm not saying police are okay, I'm saying normal Americans are just that bad. Yeah police treat white supremacists with kid gloves, 70 million Americans just made it clear that they not only want that but think it would be good if white supremacist paramilitaries installed Trump as president.

I'm not really disagreeing with you on anything fundamental I don't think.

I mean, this literally happened today:

https://twitter.com/Lexi_Caly/status/1345716483024949248

We live in a racist society, sure. But cops are a special kind of racist.