Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really don’t have any issue with her characterization, the problem is that the writing has been mostly subpar and dull, and as a result she doesn’t have a real defining moment yet. There’s no Heaven Sent or Beast Below and it sucks, because every Doctor deserves that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Xelkelvos posted:

The biggest issue ends up being the legacy of Jodie's characterization under Chinball and how that's retained under another showrunner. Imagine her Doctor getting one last series, under a platonically good showrunner. What parts of her characterization would be considered worth keeping under their new, temporary tenure?

I think her natural enthusiasm/participation in new experiences is one of her better defining traits - she's very accepting of new (to her) cultures/traditions. I also like that when she's wrong about something and realizes it, she doesn't fight or question the new information but takes it onboard. They're good characteristics for the Doctor to have and make her a good role model, and I'd be keen to see that explored by a writer/showrunner who can use them to best effect.

What I would be happy to see go from her characterization is the passivity that is too often present in her stories, she needs to be more of a driving force for the show, and that's purely a writing issue and not anything to do with her performance.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Can't say it's too surprising, but man, Jodie deserved much better material than what she was given.

On the upside, it's always exciting when it's new Doctor time.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
She's also probably the nicest of the doctors.

Its strange you have a doctor with a bunch of enthusiasm and energy and grace and you'd think they would do some grand adventuring with that type of character but meh.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Jodie regenerates, there's a huge flash... and two people are standing there, one of whom is played by Jo Martin. The other Doctor is extremely confused. Jo Doctor: "Now listen carefully, because this is where it gets complicated..."

Cut to end card, "The Doctors will return in 2023." (Because of course we won't get the next series any sooner.)

Thirteen has plenty of character traits: enthusiasm, politeness/social awareness, generosity. I think she's very Five with touches of all the newer Doctors added in. I'm sorry we didn't get as many "steampunk engineer" scenes with her as her opening episode promised. She's pretty forward, too, in a Four mixed with Five kind of way: she'd stride up to a stranger and start up a conversation.

Chibnall isn't great with subtext, but the otherwise-baffling "I'm not good in social situations" moments hint at the possibility that Thirteen is still as awkward as Twelve but covering it up.

They probably can't get someone like Gwendoline Christie, but I'd really like another female Doctor, preferably one who can be physically intimidating and terrify the baddies.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’d honestly love it to be Jo Martin.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

She's also probably the nicest of the doctors.

Its strange you have a doctor with a bunch of enthusiasm and energy and grace and you'd think they would do some grand adventuring with that type of character but meh.

It's definitely a sort of Doctor who'd, rather than revisitng cool places across the universe and time stream with their companions, opts to take them to unexplored or undiscovered places and running at those unknown things enthusiastically.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I pick up my dust covered knife and fork and begin banging it on the table, as the words,"TILDA SWINTON!" again echo down the empty corridors of my "Who I want to be the new Doctor" mansion.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

How were the overall ratings for Jodie's run as the Doctor? I know the woman-hating chudsphere would have us believe they were in the shitter from the word go; but I have the feeling that they likely weren't spectacular, and as a result once Jodie leaves, the Beeb is going to default back to "white male 30s-40s" in order to try and win back viewers that quit watching after Matt Smith (or even Tennant) left.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sydney Bottocks posted:

How were the overall ratings for Jodie's run as the Doctor? I know the woman-hating chudsphere would have us believe they were in the shitter from the word go; but I have the feeling that they likely weren't spectacular, and as a result once Jodie leaves, the Beeb is going to default back to "white male 30s-40s" in order to try and win back viewers that quit watching after Matt Smith (or even Tennant) left.

https://guide.doctorwhonews.net/info.php

From all the series, since the start.

Though the New Years Eve figures aren't finalized yet.
It takes a week or so to collate the online views, so it may increase.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
From what I understand, Jodie's ratings are lower than they have been in the past, however the Sunday evening slot has lower expectations than the Saturday evening that the previous Doctors had, meaning that the comparative ratings are about the same. To be honest, the ratings are on par with Capaldi's final season and given the different schedule slot, it would mean that she did better than Capaldi's final season.

Of course this doesn't make any difference to the NMD idiots, so they'll claim that ratings have PLUMMETED since she took over, and the series is DOOMED.

As an aside, how come we've all taken to referring to her as Jodie, while the other Doctors usually get referred to by their last name?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Easier to type I would assume.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't disliked the last couple of seasons as much as some but it's hard to feel too excited about whoever is gonna be the Doctor after Whittaker when Chibbers hanging around means they're likely to end up as wasted as she was

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, that's one more Doctor for the 60th Anniversary.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm still extremely disappointed that Olivia Coleman is now too famous to be a Doctor.

I mean, it's wonderful for her but crappy for us.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I'm still extremely disappointed that Olivia Coleman is now too famous to be a Doctor.

I mean, it's wonderful for her but crappy for us.

But only as her Hot Fuzz character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well obviously.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Homora Gaykemi posted:

I haven't disliked the last couple of seasons as much as some but it's hard to feel too excited about whoever is gonna be the Doctor after Whittaker when Chibbers hanging around means they're likely to end up as wasted as she was

It's weird right? Her first season was good, the second season had some things going for it and the tremendous thud kinda drained momentum.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

happyhippy posted:

Easier to type I would assume.

Yeah, I always have to second guess if I'm spelling Whittaker right (like right now, I double checked just to be on the safe side). Ironically, even though Baker is an incredibly easy name to remember I always called him Tom even before Colin Baker came along, and I always refer to Eccleston as such rather than Chris even though that's another surname I always find myself doublechecking.

In conclusion, how I refer to various Doctors is a land of contrasts, and I am no closer to understanding why I do or don't call any of them by a specific name (or sometimes just number). I hope this helped!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaroff posted:

As an aside, how come we've all taken to referring to her as Jodie, while the other Doctors usually get referred to by their last name?

It's a case by case thing from what I've seen. Usually its whatever name makes the most sense.

Generally its Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, Tom, Peter Davidson, Colin, McCoy, McGan, Chris, Tennant, Matt, Capaldi

So a few get their first names used primarily, usually when their first names are distinctive enough or if their last names clash. Jodie is shorter and nicer than Whitker while still being punchy and unique

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also come on, the writers clearly have stuff like It Takes You Away in their arsenal, more of that! Hire Jamie Mathieson to write some more bonkers poo poo!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Everyone knows you refer to the Twelfth Doctor's actor as P-Cap.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Referring to them by number got a bit complicated after War, too. 9 is 10, 10 is 11, 10 is 12, 11 is 13, 12 is 14, 13 is 15 and possibly also 16+ given Jo’s mystery origin.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wouldn’t it be hilarious if 13th regenerated into a man and it turned out all this time that, no, the show going to pot had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with The Doctor’s gender and everything to do with the idiot running the show into the ground?

Wouldn’t that just be something? :confuoot:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I am the only person in this thread who thinks Rosa is a good episode.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mooseontheloose posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of people liked that one

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I liked the two historicals.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think it’s fine, I’m just a little uncomfortable with the idea of The Doctor having anything to do with influencing or affecting a pivotal moment in US Civil Rights. I also think the song playing over the last few Rosa Parks scenes is a bit cringey and unnecessary. You don’t need a flaccid “inspirational” song playing over something that’s already incredibly important and inspirational because the act speaks for itself. But that’s just my two cents, ymmv.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

That's one of the episodes that gets frequently praised!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think it’s fine, I’m just a little uncomfortable with the idea of The Doctor having anything to do with influencing or affecting a pivotal moment in US Civil Rights.

This is perfectly fair, but I do think that if the show was going to do it (and that’s a big if) they did the right thing by making it so the Doctor and fam didn’t originally cause it, they just had to intercede to prevent someone else from uncausing it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

The villain is kinda dumb.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

The villain is kinda dumb.

The villian was a rubber suit monster parading as someone who'd be an ongoing villian in better seasons.

They wasted him on just that one.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Mooseontheloose posted:

The first half-ish is pretty great and then it shits the bed with the utterly insipid plan of "make sure people get on the bus." How you look at the civil rights movement and decide that the climax of your story should consist of ensuring the correct number of people are riding on a bus is so baffling to the point that it ruins the rest of the episode. That's the kind of plot you'd have in a story aimed at like seven year olds when you want to teach them who Rosa Parks is but not what racism is.

Oh, and there's a non-racist asteroid in the future. Not as far in the future as the racist guy who was the villain, mind you.

I've harped on this before, but the episode that's basically a blowie to Amazon is far better constructed and more coherent than the one about Rosa Parks. That's a problem.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man that Space Amazon episode... watching it live I was really enjoying it and then it ended and it took like 2 seconds before I went,"Wait... so it actually DID just murder that completely innocent girl and nothing happens about that/there was no twist where it only pretended?" and then I thought 2 seconds more and realized that the terrorist completely achieved his goals and then I realized the moral of the story was both,"Trust the giant corporation and it's algorithm-run management" and "You can achieve your goals through terrorism" and what the gently caress how the gently caress did that episode get made? :psyduck:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Man that Space Amazon episode... watching it live I was really enjoying it and then it ended and it took like 2 seconds before I went,"Wait... so it actually DID just murder that completely innocent girl and nothing happens about that/there was no twist where it only pretended?" and then I thought 2 seconds more and realized that the terrorist completely achieved his goals and then I realized the moral of the story was both,"Trust the giant corporation and it's algorithm-run management" and "You can achieve your goals through terrorism" and what the gently caress how the gently caress did that episode get made? :psyduck:

Liberalism.

Pure strain liberalism.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mooseontheloose posted:

My boyfriend and I were just discussing Rosa the other day. He’s black, so I defer to his opinion. We agreed that the writing felt incredibly brittle, like it was well aware the subject matter was murky waters, especially for Doctor Who, but the writers were absolutely walking on eggshells the entire time in order to not cause any offence. As such, the story itself has zero life. There’s no drama, no stakes, plus the subject matter forces the Doctor into taking a very secondary role so was not to remove agency from the protesters and Rosa Parks.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

I still think that Kerblam had a good message that it had no loving clue how to hit home. If you squint you can see its intention as being against enormous corporations and automation, and empathizing with the terrorist without condoning his methods, they just picked... not the worst way to articulate it all, but not far above it.

Perhaps the worst part is that overall, it's just not a very good episode. It's not even garbage-tier awful like Forest of the Night where it was both wrong AND terrible and capable of being dissected mercilessly, it's just overall kinda mediocre to the point that it's not worth defending or finding alternative angles.

In other news, just finished the New Years' special, thought it was pretty good for a Dalek episode! Honestly, I think it's remarkable that they tried to take a 'topical about current events' angle in 2020, the year that basically obliterated anyone's expectations of a 'normal', and yet the wrongest note they played was the Harry Potter quote.

Observation I'll steal from Twitter: I love that there ended up being an in-universe reason that the new Dalek design looked like a slightly janky initial design under a slightly-cheap 'tactical military' coat of paint. Honestly, any other take on the design would've been wrong for what they're supposed to be in this episode.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

My boyfriend and I were just discussing Rosa the other day. He’s black, so I defer to his opinion. We agreed that the writing felt incredibly brittle, like it was well aware the subject matter was murky waters, especially for Doctor Who, but the writers were absolutely walking on eggshells the entire time in order to not cause any offence. As such, the story itself has zero life. There’s no drama, no stakes, plus the subject matter forces the Doctor into taking a very secondary role so was not to remove agency from the protesters and Rosa Parks.

My whole thing about what that makes that episode good (if a bet heavy handed) is that Graham saying he doesn't want to do this anymore, he doesn't want to be causing the pain that's going on but its clearly a metaphor for those who sit on the sidelines and let this stuff happen to oppressed people. And given what is/was happening in the United States hit close to home that there are people who feel because they aren't actively racist they are helping.

But I guess I was wrong, I just remember the thread reaction of people saying it was a meh episode.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Cleretic posted:

I still think that Kerblam had a good message that it had no loving clue how to hit home. If you squint you can see its intention as being against enormous corporations and automation, and empathizing with the terrorist without condoning his methods, they just picked... not the worst way to articulate it all, but not far above it.

Kerblam is for my money the most thematically coherent story of the Chibnall era. mehall hit it on the nose, it's mealy mouthed liberalism. Specific cases of exploitation are bad, but not an indictment of the system. However, taking action to change things is also bad. Somehow the technocrats will figure out a solution, ideally involving a committee or study.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Rochallor posted:

Kerblam is for my money the most thematically coherent story of the Chibnall era. mehall hit it on the nose, it's mealy mouthed liberalism. Specific cases of exploitation are bad, but not an indictment of the system. However, taking action to change things is also bad. Somehow the technocrats will figure out a solution, ideally involving a committee or study.

Hard to reconcile the Doctor in that story as being the same Doctor (several regenerations removed, granted) that helped overthrow The Company in "The Sun Makers".