Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The movies are bad because they aren’t movies. They are very clearly segmented into four parts for four episodes, but then they also have too much overarching plot to work as separate episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Going back to The Simpsons here's a video about the layout, including the rumpus room and where exactly are the basement and garage doors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKQ6CmIDV1g

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The movies are bad because they aren’t movies. They are very clearly segmented into four parts for four episodes, but then they also have too much overarching plot to work as separate episodes.

I dunno I saw them as DVDs and I can't stand how disjointed they are when broken up into pieces for TV.

To me, the only really bad one is the 3rd one (D&D one). The rest are middling.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

Hakkesshu posted:

You people are nuts, revival Futurama was not that bad, ok yeah the movies kinda sucked and it was the wrong format, but the show never completely lost its way like Simpsons did and there are several really good episodes that make the whole thing worth it, including the actual finale.

Revival Futurama wasn't great, but the original run was really hit or miss and had plenty of bad and forgettable episodes. The good to bad episode ratio just goes way down in the revival

Honestly, a lot of seasons 1-4 episodes seem like they were made by people too incompetent to even get a job working on zombie Simpsons.

Stingwing fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 4, 2021

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The original run of Futurama definitely relies on more pop culture references than early Simpsons did. Revival Futurama just ramped it up.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah even original series Futurama had some boomer jokes. Like Hermes cracking on his son for buying Amazon stock.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tonight's episode of the Simpsons is about Comic Book Guy and his pretty Japanese wife they gave him a few seasons ago having a baby. I'd rather watch the Yo Gabba episode of post-revival Futurama.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

- Simpsons plots that feature some real-life celebrity instead of their well-established in-universe analog

- Simpsons plots that focus on some painfully too-in-depth facet of a once-beloved one-off joke character

*two buttons guy meme*

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember seeing a new episode like four or five years ago. Did you know Moleman was the beloved mayor of Springfield when Marge and Homer were kids? Now you do, gently caress you!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stingwing posted:

Honestly, a lot of seasons 1-4 episodes seem like they were made by people too incompetent to even get a job working on zombie Simpsons.

Nope

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember seeing a new episode like four or five years ago. Did you know Moleman was the beloved mayor of Springfield when Marge and Homer were kids? Now you do, gently caress you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG8d0x1WcAc

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

No, that's too young....

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattselman/status/1345916009924857856?s=21

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
"Cretaceous Gardens."
Eeeey yooo, I'mma Simpson writa ovah hea'h!

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

n&ns

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
The joke's in every corner

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
As someone who was a big Futurama fan, I'm realizing the only joke I can remember is that the stores still don't take Discover.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Primitive robots" working on the assembly line

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

gently caress you!

same to you buddy!

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

PerniciousKnid posted:

As someone who was a big Futurama fan, I'm realizing the only joke I can remember is that the stores still don't take Discover.

Whalers on the moon

Because the song gets stuck in my head.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Stingwing posted:

a lot of funny-seasons Simpsons writers jumped ship to Futurama bc it was obvious that the Simpsons was close to getting canceled

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
When somebody does something stupid I'll think, "THAT'S THE GREATEST THING I EVER SAW!" And I get a lot of the opera from the (first) season finale stuck in my head from time to time.

Actually, I remember a lot of Robot Devil lines. Did post-revival gently caress him up?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Funniest Futurama joke is this

Data Graham posted:

"Primitive robots" working on the assembly line

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I wonder if there'll ever be another prime-time show that does "nerd humor" — by which I mean like actual math/science jokes — as well as Futurama did. Seems like a market that might have dried up and/or turned to anime and 80s nostalgia rather than STEM one-liners like "No fair! You changed the outcome by observing it!"

Or the random number generator in the execution chamber

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Data Graham posted:

I wonder if there'll ever be another prime-time show that does "nerd humor" — by which I mean like actual math/science jokes — as well as Futurama did. Seems like a market that might have dried up and/or turned to anime and 80s nostalgia rather than STEM one-liners like "No fair! You changed the outcome by observing it!"

Or the random number generator in the execution chamber

Um, Big Bang Theory??

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Hakkesshu posted:

Um, Big Bang Theory??

no no that's laughing at the nerds - not laughing with the nerds.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Data Graham posted:

"No fair! You changed the outcome by observing it!"

I vaguely remember David X Cohen saying he had to fight to get that joke in.

dude has a physics bachelor's from Harvard and a CS master's from UC Berkeley

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Mantis42 posted:

Tonight's episode of the Simpsons is about Comic Book Guy and his pretty Japanese wife they gave him a few seasons ago having a baby. I'd rather watch the Yo Gabba episode of post-revival Futurama.

They really are that completely creatively bankrupt.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

I made the exact same parody title when I was like 10?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

a lot of funny-seasons Simpsons writers jumped ship to Futurama bc it was obvious that the Simpsons was close to getting canceled
and then the funny Futurama writers moved to American Dad! after their own cancellation

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It always seems to come down to the writers, both their quality and their level of effort, doesn't it?

Post-revival Futurama, there might have been some GOOD episodes, but I don't remember any of them (even the GOOD ones) being very funny.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I liked the brain swap episode where they used a mathematical proof to show everyone could get back to their original minds without repeating any body parings

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PerniciousKnid posted:

"The hat goes on the head! It's all so obvious now!" in the episode where Gunter the monkey wears a hat that makes him a genius is one of my favorites.

Slotducks posted:

I don't associate Big Bang Theory with laughter of any variety.

Empty Sandwich posted:

I vaguely remember David X Cohen saying he had to fight to get that joke in.

dude has a physics bachelor's from Harvard and a CS master's from UC Berkeley

That actually kind of surprises me -- I was under the impression that the Futurama writers' room was filled to the brim with geeks of his nature and that they would have loved a joke like that.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

emgeejay posted:

and then the funny Futurama writers moved to American Dad! after their own cancellation

oh no

YeahTubaMike posted:

That actually kind of surprises me -- I was under the impression that the Futurama writers' room was filled to the brim with geeks of his nature and that they would have loved a joke like that.

I think it was a network objection or something, or just a feeling that it was too obscure (which seems odd, since I never took a serious science class after high school and I got it)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Slotducks posted:

My dad loving loves BBT, and claims that the only reason I don't like it is because I don't understand the science jokes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

My dad loving loves BBT, and claims that the only reason I don't like it is because I don't understand the science jokes.

I've sat through a shitload of BBT at my parents' home.

The jokes are never about the science they're talking about. The jokes are always "what kind of loving nerdo would care about this thing or know what this long word means?"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I just learned that Cherry Chevapravatdumrong, who's a writer/exec producer on Family Guy, has a psych bachelor's from Yale and a JD from NYU Law.

on the other hand, I also learned that Loren Bouchard dropped out of high school, so

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

I've sat through a shitload of BBT at my parents' home.

The jokes are never about the science they're talking about. The jokes are always "what kind of loving nerdo would care about this thing or know what this long word means?"

Whoever called it "nerdface" was 100% correct

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1345921941283229696?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS3MGriZcs

BBT is one of the shows that feels extra weird without a laugh track