Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Doubtless it's already been talked to death, but Luke did not look great. Was it deepfaked?

(did no one check on Bo Katan?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGag8Qllgnw

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

I was not expecting Games Workshop Peter Cushing.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rinkles posted:

Doubtless it's already been talked to death, but Luke did not look great. Was it deepfaked?

(did no one check on Bo Katan?)

It was a CGI face, yes. Hamill did the voice. I wish it had been better, or that they'd just gotten Sebastian Stan, but it wasn't so bad as to drag me out of the scene.

Bo Katan is standing in the final shots as Luke leaves with Grogu and when Gideon was shooting her you could hear the beskar ricochet noise so probably she's okay.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

galagazombie posted:

Theres also the question of just how big the Rebellion was in relation to people personally knowing Luke. In ANH it seems like it's just a few hundred people in the woods but by RotJ they can field a massive War Fleet that can slug it out with the best of them. So maybe everyone at Yavin knows Luke and how he destroyed the Death Star with his magic powers, but if you joined up just before Endor there's way too many of you for everyone to know everyone/everything.

it seems like the yavin base only has the rebel leadership and a small force protecting them, most of the rebels seem diffused out into cells and spaceborne fleets in order to spread out and not have any large targets

also i think the mon calamari join the rebel alliance in between esb and rotj so thats a massive chunk

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oh god, Peter Cushing would play Star Wars: Armada in-character as Tarkin if he were alive today, wouldn’t he? :3:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh god, Peter Cushing would play Star Wars: Armada in-character as Tarkin if he were alive today, wouldn’t he? :3:

I would watch the poo poo out of 107 year old Peter Cushing doing that.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Gonz posted:

I was not expecting Games Workshop Peter Cushing.

It's not that much further than model trains or ships in a bottle

George RR Martin was on a warhammer podcast talking about napoleonics he's into

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Kanine posted:

also i think the mon calamari join the rebel alliance in between esb and rotj so thats a massive chunk

Tantive IV launches from a Mon Cal starship under Admiral Raddus in the Battle of Scarif

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The original trilogy is really good at subtly conveying that the Rebellion gets progressively more organised and powerful between films. You don't need more detail and nobody needs to explain it because it isn't relevant to the story of our heroes - you just see that in the first film the rebels are a few hundred people operating out of a single base, in the second film it's clearly a few thousand and they've got some heavy equipment they didn't have before, and in the third film they have a warfleet and while the Empire is still stronger they are seriously talking about fighting conventionally.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Alchenar posted:

The original trilogy is really good at subtly conveying that the Rebellion gets progressively more organised and powerful between films. You don't need more detail and nobody needs to explain it because it isn't relevant to the story of our heroes - you just see that in the first film the rebels are a few hundred people operating out of a single base, in the second film it's clearly a few thousand and they've got some heavy equipment they didn't have before, and in the third film they have a warfleet and while the Empire is still stronger they are seriously talking about fighting conventionally.

For someone who planned this out his whole life it's amazing how monumentally stupid blowing up Alderaan is for the Emperor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

socialsecurity posted:

For someone who planned this out his whole life it's amazing how monumentally stupid blowing up Alderaan is for the Emperor.

Thing is, as far as he's concerned by the time the Death Star is complete he's already won, and it's just mopping up. Any planet that even thinks of rebelling, boom.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is, as far as he's concerned by the time the Death Star is complete he's already won, and it's just mopping up. Any planet that even thinks of rebelling, boom.

Yeah this is another example of how Star Wars manages to do a huge amount of really economical world building. The first scene in the Death Star with the Imperial Officers tells us everything we need to know.

We learn that the Empire is unstable and getting more unstable - the Rebellion is gaining support in the Senate so there's a power structure in this world that exists independent of the Emperor and it matters because they're worried about it. The Emperor abolishing the Senate is received as a shocking development and the scene sets the stakes for the film: the Death Star is the thing that Tarkin and the rest of the Imperials are relying on as the thing that will stop an all out civil war. The destruction of the Death Star naturally explains not just why the rebellion survives the end of ANH but is stronger every time we come back to see it.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Is it ever stated that the Emperor ever gave his approval for firing on Alderaan. It always seemed like a Tarkin only thing.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
In Star Wars the Emperor is a pretty distant figure. Tarkin seems to have authority to do what he wants with his battle station in order to support the military governors discussed in the conference room.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I'm sure the Emperor at some point said to Tarkin that the galaxy needs to be shown the power of the Death Star in some spectacular fashion, after all it was the Emperor's favourite toy, so Tarkin just thought Alderaan checked the box as well as letting him be a dick to Leia.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

VinylonUnderground posted:

In Star Wars the Emperor is a pretty distant figure. Tarkin seems to have authority to do what he wants with his battle station in order to support the military governors discussed in the conference room.

He's literally just come back from talking to the Emperor so I read it as he's probably said "I've got a rebel senator captured, I'm going to go blow up her home planet as a message' and the Emperor has okayed it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
When Star Wars was written the emperor was still a puppet of military-industrial interests. He only becomes a dark wizard who planned everything all along in ESB.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Alchenar posted:

Yeah this is another example of how Star Wars manages to do a huge amount of really economical world building. The first scene in the Death Star with the Imperial Officers tells us everything we need to know.

We learn that the Empire is unstable and getting more unstable - the Rebellion is gaining support in the Senate so there's a power structure in this world that exists independent of the Emperor and it matters because they're worried about it. The Emperor abolishing the Senate is received as a shocking development and the scene sets the stakes for the film: the Death Star is the thing that Tarkin and the rest of the Imperials are relying on as the thing that will stop an all out civil war. The destruction of the Death Star naturally explains not just why the rebellion survives the end of ANH but is stronger every time we come back to see it.

That's probably down to Marcia Lucas. Figure any time in the Original trilogy when you're able to figure something on your own without fan-wanking or having it told to you 500 times, that's her.

So, yeah, on the list of alternate dimensions I want to visit or move to, the one where Marcia Lucas stays with George, keeps him focused and becomes a successful director in her own right is definitely up there next to Fat, Unshaven Guys are Rare and Attractive Dimension and Donald Trump Got Sent to Vietnam, Defected to the NVA and Got Shot for Treason When He Was Traded Back to the US Because the NVA Couldn't Stand Him Either Dimension.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Given how George has devoted the remakes to destroying her works, I feel like the alternative universe where they stay together would be much much better for us but much much worse for her.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Her biggest changes are still in the film and she wanted the (original) Jabba scene included as well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Were the dark troopers "gen 3" as a wink at/acknowledgement of dark forces?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Rinkles posted:

absolutely

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rinkles posted:

The behind the scenes feature on this season explicitly states how they wanted to get them looking like they did “in the video game” and then shows footage of Dark Forces. So yes.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Really happy with how this turned out.

“My ally is the Force”

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I'm still kind of mad that the base in Rogue One wasn't Dantooine. :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nanigans posted:

“My ally is the Force”

And a powerful ally it is.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

nine-gear crow posted:

And a powerful ally it is.

:hfive:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Nanigans posted:

“My ally is the Force”

Now try it with fried chicken explosions

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

VinylonUnderground posted:

Given how George has devoted the remakes to destroying her works, I feel like the alternative universe where they stay together would be much much better for us but much much worse for her.

Figure in that alternate universe she stays with George because his various negative qualities are greatly reduced so it's good for everyone. In our reality she didn't stay with him because he didn't deserve it.

Now, think about how different cooler the Prequel and Sequel trilogies might have been with her greatly involved. And then weep for that lack.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Edit lol wrong thread

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 4, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Well,so I got Disney plus as a gift for my nephew, and oh dear god...my family is now addicted to The Mandalorian. They all binged both seasons in nearly two days (two episodes to go, only because it was late and my nephew had to go to bed).

He is loving the hell out of the show.

They also have all the seasons of Clone Wars , so I guess I'm gonna get ready to binge. (I'm also excited to see they have some cartoons I used to watch back in middle school -probably none aged good- but just for nostalgia.).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmfao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hcW1etLpz8

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I want you to take a look at something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_YdBCAL9f8

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Lol, kinkade still hustling’ from beyond the grave.

https://twitter.com/sexyfacts4u/status/1346172576612102146?s=21

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Holy poo poo they sell a version that’s $4700, you can buy actual original well painted artwork for way less than that, that’s insane.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
The sequence of the Force Theme and then Mando taking off his helmet with babyoda 😢

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

crimedog posted:

The sequence of the Force Theme and then Mando taking off his helmet with babyoda 😢

The part where Mando's theme comes in at the end of that song right before the door shuts is just the best.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Hm, its not oversaturated and glowing enough to be a real kinkade, but the depth and lighting are just as bad, 8/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

the watermark makes it look like it's drooling