Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
that's a fact that is sure to fall on some deaf ears because there are still Americans out there who are surprised to learn that ireland has widespread electricity

:radcat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jel Shaker posted:

bitcoin alone uses the equivalent annual energy expenditure of ireland to run i recall, i’m sure alt coins are not much better

It's significantly more than that now I think.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Surprisingly Ireland uses more electricity per capita than the UK (but much less overall).

Each person in the Republic consumes on average 628W, whereas each person in the UK consumes 513W, but the UK government has been going around turning as many of them off as possible recently.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

gh0stpinballa posted:

what are the crimes

The actual charges are under American computer crime laws (which are, somehow, even more overly broad than the UK Computer MIsuse Act) and the Espionage Act. The things he's actually accused of are publishing confidential US government and military documents (I *think* they dropped the BoA charges but can't confirm with a quick Google) and assisting someone in accessing protected military networks (he helped Chelsea Manning to bypass the security on some of the files she leaked).

Like I say, nobody actually denies he did these things, or that they are a breach of US laws - the legal argument is over whether or not he should be extradited to face trial for those, and the moral argument is over whether he *should* be prosecuted for them.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I know he's probably the biggest melt at Novara but this thread seems pretty solid

https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1346078666237816833

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Jose posted:

lol i read an article the other day about a guy who pumped $1.4bn into bitcoin

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1346038379960537089?s=20
I'm no Bitcoin advocate but this chart is deeply misleading.... It "crashed" from 1BTC=33,500USD to 1BTC=28,500USD, and even now, since that tweet 2 hrs ago it is back up to over 31,000USD.

That's higher than any time before 2 Jan.... It's double the value it was any time before November 2020, and near enough triple its peak 2019 value.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Bitcoin is basically the tulip bubble of the 1600s except each tulip is a smokestack

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Surprisingly Ireland uses more electricity per capita than the UK (but much less overall).

Each person in the Republic consumes on average 628W, whereas each person in the UK consumes 513W, but the UK government has been going around turning as many of them off as possible recently.

That's a factor of population size and density, and rollout of other fuel sources for heating and cooking. Ireland never really had a gas infrastructure outside Dublin so gas cooking and heating is much less common there than it is here, so even if all other factors are equal they're going to use more electricity. Also densely-packed cities generally consume less electricity than towns and villages, and most cities in Ireland have had a massive boom of shittily-built modern housing in the last few years.

Ireland could be a massive exporter of electricity - they've got way more wind and tidal power potential than GB - but for some reason they've never really fully tapped that potential. NI has almost as much wind power as the Republic despite the massive disparity in size.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jel Shaker posted:

bitcoin alone uses the equivalent annual energy expenditure of ireland to run i recall, i’m sure alt coins are not much better

I thought it was Iceland, not Ireland.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Sturgeon is speaking in 30 minutes, supposedly Scotland is bringing a lockdown tonight with tougher restrictions that in March / April -

https://twitter.com/GlennBBC/status/1346077410488414208

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Jedit posted:

I thought it was Iceland, not Ireland.

yeah at one point, but it’s way worse now. there are stories of whole hydrodams in china and power plants in iran just running constantly to feed server farms, obviously with the intention to avoid currency controls and get USDs

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

NI has almost as much wind power as the Republic despite the massive disparity in size.

An example of what you can get if you keep shouting NO SURRENDER! & NEVER! at 140 decibels all the time... gods i hate the way we talk up here. :gonk:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol what

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1346088853355040768?s=20

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Cryptocurrencies are loving stupid but couldn't there be a way of running one where the mining actually processes data that's worth something for humanity? Like Folding @ Home or something.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

What weirdo was still on the Lib Dem train until now, but finally thought it was time to bite the bullet and support the Tories?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

Cryptocurrencies are loving stupid but couldn't there be a way of running one where the mining actually processes data that's worth something for humanity? Like Folding @ Home or something.
No, because you'd need to know the correct answer in advance for the mining program to 'solve' it, and which point the mass data processing becomes unnecessary.

It's not all useless, you could feasibly have a number of parties who don't necessarily trust one another, but can verify who each other are (states, hawala networks, etc.), and are limited by treaty or common cause at how much power they can throw at it, use it to run a ledger between one another or similar. You could do that with a dozen nintendos though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Im still voting Brexit party as I'm sure there must be some more things we could leave.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

gh0stpinballa posted:

julian assange has done more to expose the crimes of the american war machine than almost anybody and it's a good thing that he won't be extradited.

Steady on. The actual Whistleblowers (such as Chelsea Manning or Snowden) did more to expose. All Assange did was arrange the publishing of them and take credit for it.
Like, Assange didn't smuggle out any files at great personal risk or anything.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's a factor of population size and density, and rollout of other fuel sources for heating and cooking. Ireland never really had a gas infrastructure outside Dublin so gas cooking and heating is much less common there than it is here, so even if all other factors are equal they're going to use more electricity. Also densely-packed cities generally consume less electricity than towns and villages, and most cities in Ireland have had a massive boom of shittily-built modern housing in the last few years.

Ireland could be a massive exporter of electricity - they've got way more wind and tidal power potential than GB - but for some reason they've never really fully tapped that potential. NI has almost as much wind power as the Republic despite the massive disparity in size.

1) Yes the lack of wind/tidal power is tied into NIMBY (or coast in this case.)
I really wish they would do more to develop green power like this.

2) The lack of gas cookers is a major thing in my house. We couldn't get a gas cooker and went with an electric one.
Since the wife and I are considering building our own place she again has gone back to beating the drum for getting a gas cooker "as they are better for cooking things."
I disagree and want an induction hob for the inside.
I would compromise by agreeing to install a Gas BBQ in the back garden with a roof overhead and use that for most of the big cooking.
I think the big thing that will swing it will be if the various architects/builders say (as I suspect they will) that you just can't get gas installed in new builds.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Has anywhere ever successfully harnessed tidal at scale?

Quick google says Korea has a big tidal plant (254MW) but I have no frame of reference for how much energy that is.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

at great personal risk or anything.

:thunk:

The Question IRL posted:

1) Yes the lack of wind/tidal power is tied into NIMBY (or coast in this case.)
I really wish they would do more to develop green power like this.

Wind power is awful. It ultrafucks untouched nature, kills birds, makes an incredibly maddening humming noise for miles and miles around, disrupts tv and radio signals and can't be recycled at all so you end up with wind-turbine mass-graves because the only thing you can do is dig a big hole to dump in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Electric hobs are poo poo but there's induction that's as good as gas now, and the levels of indoor nitrogen oxides from gas hobs are now a subject of concern, so I'd be looking to switch my gas to an induction one if they didn't keep putting gas prices down and electric prices up every few months, as if they're dumping stock in future anticipation.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The Question IRL posted:

2) The lack of gas cookers is a major thing in my house. We couldn't get a gas cooker and went with an electric one.
Since the wife and I are considering building our own place she again has gone back to beating the drum for getting a gas cooker "as they are better for cooking things."
I would compromise by agreeing to install a Gas BBQ in the back garden with a roof overhead and use that for most of the big cooking.
I think the big thing that will swing it will be if the various architects/builders say (as I suspect they will) that you just can't get gas installed in new builds.

Tell her that Forums Goon Bobstar is a total induction convert after years of cooking with gas.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Electric hobs are poo poo but there's induction that's as good as gas now

What do you mean now? Induction has been a thing for absolute ages

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Twenty Points

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lib Dem surge

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

jiggerypokery posted:

Has anywhere ever successfully harnessed tidal at scale?

Quick google says Korea has a big tidal plant (254MW) but I have no frame of reference for how much energy that is.

The UK uses about 60,000 MW a year.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TheRat posted:

What do you mean now? Induction has been a thing for absolute ages
Yeah but the old induction ones were either lovely granular control or cost a lot compared to other hobs, now it's just running them that costs 7x as much.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

lol the Tories hosed up so badly that they had to make up a new English Virus strain to explain it and got Christmas cancelled but it's all memory holed a week later. Good of Keir not to say anything that could have made people pay attention to that.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

TheRat posted:

:thunk:

Wind power is awful. It ultrafucks untouched nature, kills birds, makes an incredibly maddening humming noise for miles and miles around, disrupts tv and radio signals and can't be recycled at all so you end up with wind-turbine mass-graves because the only thing you can do is dig a big hole to dump in.

I'm currently on Gran Canara which is roughly 50% wind turbine. I can assure you you cannot hear a thing. I don't know about analogue TV/radio signals because I'm under 300 years old.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah but the old induction ones were either lovely granular control or cost a lot compared to other hobs, now it's just running them that costs 7x as much.

I had a induction hob 15 years ago that didnt cost much and beat the everliving gently caress out of any other option I've ever tried in terms of power, reliability and safety. But maybe it's different in Norway?

jiggerypokery posted:

I'm currently on Gran Canara which is roughly 50% wind turbine. I can assure you you cannot hear a thing. I don't know about analogue TV/radio signals because I'm under 300 years old.

I suggest you check out the Norwegian countryside then, because there's currently a bunch of scandals surrounding them causing way more than the promised sound ceiling and driving people completely mad. And one operator in my area recently got told to shut it all off until they could make sure it didnt kill the TV signal.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Induction is technically great and a doddle to cook with but it just isn’t as much fun as gas. I don’t feel at all like Gordon Ramsay when I use induction.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jakabite posted:

Induction is technically great and a doddle to cook with but it just isn’t as much fun as gas. I don’t feel at all like Gordon Ramsay when I use induction.

Get a blowtorch for your kitchen

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Guavanaut posted:

Electric hobs are poo poo but there's induction that's as good as gas now, and the levels of indoor nitrogen oxides from gas hobs are now a subject of concern, so I'd be looking to switch my gas to an induction one if they didn't keep putting gas prices down and electric prices up every few months, as if they're dumping stock in future anticipation.
Modern electric ones are alright (the ones that look similar to induction hobs; i.e. a big flat black surface). They don't suffer from the same massive "lag" that you get with the older style ones that were basically just a lovely, exposed heating element.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Steady on. The actual Whistleblowers (such as Chelsea Manning or Snowden) did more to expose. All Assange did was arrange the publishing of them and take credit for it.
Like, Assange didn't smuggle out any files at great personal risk or anything.

He acts as the public lightning rod by openly publishing them and thereby puts himself at risk.

In a best case scenario, the original whistleblowers would have remained unknown.

By all accounts Assange is a bit of a narcissist (which might explain why he feels comfortable at centre stage) and seems to have burned bridges with most former colleagues, but he did knowingly make himself a target.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

LPG cookers are a thing, but - as much as I love a gas hob - I don't know if I could be arsed going through the extra hassle of swapping out bottles (or the expense of getting someone else to do it) - I suspect if you priced it up an induction hob would probably work out cheaper, and be better in almost every way (the only advantages of gas over induction being cheaper initial outlay and cookware and being able to light a fag off it).

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Ewan posted:

Modern electric ones are alright (the ones that look similar to induction hobs; i.e. a big flat black surface). They don't suffer from the same massive "lag" that you get with the older style ones that were basically just a lovely, exposed heating element.

You're still heating the element which heats the stovetop which heats the pan which heats the food.

Slower to heat, slower to cool, less control, 100% more risk of accidentally burning something by putting it on top of a hob which is "off" but still hot as gently caress.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Jose posted:

Get a blowtorch for your kitchen

This, along with cooking with vastly more butter than I really need, will have to compensate.

My previously apolitical family are starting to get very mad with the government. Just absolute bafflement to the point my stepmum feels like she just doesn’t get it and must be missing something. I keep telling her she isn’t, they’re just stupid selfish lazy arseholes. Any time Starmer is brought up we all just laugh.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

when was it announced the brexit deal was going to be signed because i guess thats responsible for the massive tory bump

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I've done the research about Electric v Gas v Induction.
The problem is the wife has these romantic notions of using gas cookers in her mums home and how much better it is than our electric hob.
(And she is right. The gas cooker is better than what we have now. But I don't think it is as good as a new Induction hob.)
And no amount of articles or videos will change her mind. The only thing likely to change her mind will be real world evidence.

This came up over Christmas where I bought rear Wireless LG speakers to add onto my Soundbar to turn it into a 5.1.2 sound system.

Before I got it, she complained that it was a waste of money and would do nothing.

Five minutes into watching Midnight Sky on Netflix with the new sound system she admits that she was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/colinrtalbot/status/1346093451633426434?s=20

I would like to inject this into the thread then watch the rumour mill go absolutely ablaze