Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

The first one is VERY silly

e: and obv the last one is great bc it is very clearly and appropriately named after william howard taft

Applebees Appetizer posted:

A 1986 750 gixxer was my last cool motorcycle :(

IDK are you implying that there are motorcycles that are NOT cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

captainOrbital posted:

IDK are you implying that there are motorcycles that are NOT cool?

Should have said my coolest motorcycle. My actual last motorcycle was a CB-1 and that was pretty cool too :)

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
That speedster van is amazing and more variations on the concept need to exist.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I saw the new Ford Bronco on the street today somehow. It's quite a nice looking vehicle in person.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The Oldest Man posted:

I saw the new Ford Bronco on the street today somehow. It's quite a nice looking vehicle in person.

Weird, I saw one yesterday morning. Not sure what model, but it looked great.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The dealer by me has two bronco sports. They kinda look like the old freelander. Haven't seen a proper bronco yet.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I was able to sit in a Bronco Sport recently. It was much larger inside than I expected. I would almost consider one if i wasn't already in line for a full Bronco.

I also was able to see (but not sit in) a full Bronco. It had the Sasquatch package which made it huge. It's bigger than a stock Wrangler and you can tell just by looking at it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I already have a 4x4 truck I never really take off-road and a Subaru is off-road capable enough to get to any hiking or hunting area anyone would go to, yet god drat I kinda really want a Bronco

It's a useless and expensive dumb toy and Ford has absolutely nailed the styling to make it a super desirable object

They're gonna sell fuckin gangbusters

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Good, I'll wait 5 years, pick one up used and mod the gently caress out of it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BloodBag posted:

The dealer by me has two bronco sports. They kinda look like the old freelander. Haven't seen a proper bronco yet.
The new bronco sport is basically an old escape. Nice enough, but not as good as the real thing.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

C&D has an article saying Broncos aren't going on sale until the summer yet theyre on the street and in dealerships already?

Edit nvm, guess these are demos

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I'm not sure I buy a car manufactured during covid.

Managers working from home.

Assembly line worker's with low morale.
Inefficiencies from covid safety plans.

Everyone on the floor can't see poo poo, glasses fogging up from their masks.

Supply chain squeezed from every side even more than usual.

and so on

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

smooth jazz posted:

C&D has an article saying Broncos aren't going on sale until the summer yet theyre on the street and in dealerships already?

Edit nvm, guess these are demos

I drove by a dealer with a bronco sport outside of it today. I guess the real Broncos will show up later this year?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Bronco Sport is available now. Regular Bronco goes on sale in the summer but there are pre-prod models driving around* now for testing.

*Mostly in Detroit

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fiatchrysler-m-a-psa-approval-idUKKBN2990YD

Peugeot shareholders approve PSA-FCA merger; just waiting on Fiat's to do the same. That's a lot of brand overlap they've got going on there, though.

Also Vauxhall/Opel ending up in the same group as Chrysler is mildly amusing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Their goal, at least when PSA bought GME, was to do brand regionalization on the same platforms. Germans may not want to buy Peugeots or Citroens, but if you slap an Opel badge on the same car it will likely sell in Germany. Fiat's the only real new brand overlap they're inheriting, and Fiat is well on its way to being Italian-market only. I think it vaguely makes sense. They've been pretty successful so far, and I really only see upside for PSA on this one due to US exposure (other than the fact that you are inheriting a bunch of legacy Fiat / Chrsyler / FCA mess).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ah, one step closer to never actually being able to buy a new Citroen in America.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I was astounded to learn yesterday that the Grand Cherokee is 10 model years old and in its 11th year of production.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Ah, one step closer to never actually being able to buy a new Citroen in America.

Shame that the current line-up (apart from the minivans which are cool looking) is abysmal. That includes the DS brand which have a whopping 2 models in their line-up...

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Their goal, at least when PSA bought GME, was to do brand regionalization on the same platforms. Germans may not want to buy Peugeots or Citroens, but if you slap an Opel badge on the same car it will likely sell in Germany. Fiat's the only real new brand overlap they're inheriting, and Fiat is well on its way to being Italian-market only. I think it vaguely makes sense. They've been pretty successful so far, and I really only see upside for PSA on this one due to US exposure (other than the fact that you are inheriting a bunch of legacy Fiat / Chrsyler / FCA mess).

Beside the US brands, FCA has quite a bit of historical names to create virtual segmentation be it innocenti, autobianchi, lancia, alfa romeo and abarth. PSA has no luxury or high end brands while FCA has in spades(even if they were discontinued or scaled down).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SlowBloke posted:

Beside the US brands, FCA has quite a bit of historical names to create virtual segmentation be it innocenti, autobianchi, lancia, alfa romeo and abarth. PSA has no luxury or high end brands while FCA has in spades(even if they were discontinued or scaled down).

also a good point, especially since PSA took the decision to move Citroen downmarket, although they are trying with the DS spinoff

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I'm not holding my breath that the North American market will see any of the European brands sold here. They'll borrow existing domestic brands like Dodge or Chrysler. If they don't do that they might revive Plymouth. The market is already way too saturated with entrenched competition the euro brands can't touch. Why would ANYONE want a mainstream French brand like Citreon when you got VW for semi-premium near luxury European cars and Toyota, Honda, Kia and Hyundai for the rest all of which have more predictable reliability and maintenance. KIA is already making waves in Europe and pulling marketshare from the more mainstream euro brands like Opel, Citreon, Renault etc. At the end of the day the vast majority of buyers want cheap, reliable point A to point B transportation. The recent SUV craze notwithstanding that formula hasn't changed.

Speaking of Hondas, why does Car and Driver continuously keep flogging the Honda Accord as the ultimate midsize sedan? I don't see it at all. The Camry or Kia K5 seem like the better buy.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

Speaking of Hondas, why does Car and Driver continuously keep flogging the Honda Accord as the ultimate midsize sedan? I don't see it at all. The Camry or Kia K5 seem like the better buy.

Probably due to being offered with a manual and having the biggest trunk. But really, it's just a matter of what you can get the best deal on in your area between all those.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Goober Peas posted:

I was astounded to learn yesterday that the Grand Cherokee is 10 model years old and in its 11th year of production.

This should surprise nobody at this point. Chrysler's MO is trot out ancient platforms and throw stupidly big engines and hope nobody notices that their cars are heavier, less efficient and drive as badly as a 20 year old car. It's at the very least moved them up the reliability rankings because after almost 2 decades, even Chrysler can shake out the issues.

Edit: Except trucks, that poo poo gets updated

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The actual development for the GC/W166 Mercedes ML started in like 2006 since it was a DaimlerChrysler project, it was supposed to be released in like 08 or 09 but didn't come out until 2011 because of you know.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

kronix posted:

This should surprise nobody at this point. Chrysler's MO is trot out ancient platforms and throw stupidly big engines and hope nobody notices that their cars are heavier, less efficient and drive as badly as a 20 year old car. It's at the very least moved them up the reliability rankings because after almost 2 decades, even Chrysler can shake out the issues.

Haha, hellcat motor go brrrrrrrrrr

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Kraftwerk posted:

Hondas have a certain specific feel about them that has to do with the way the steering, throttle response, auto transmission shift timing, and brake pedal feel is tuned. I wouldn't be able to put it into words but it is undeniably "Honda" and it is why segment-for-segment I will always prefer Honda's offerings over other asian imports. It's not even nostalgia, I didn't own a Honda until a few years ago, then bought a Ford afterwords, but having worked as a Valet driver I got a good feel for how each manufacturer drives across their lineup and always preferred Honda in the mass market import segment.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Is there a factory chrome delete option yet for that hideous front clip? I wish they would redesign it yesterday. And that's a 2021.

Still better than most BMWs.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Gangringo posted:

Hondas have a certain specific feel about them that has to do with the way the steering, throttle response, auto transmission shift timing, and brake pedal feel is tuned. I wouldn't be able to put it into words but it is undeniably "Honda" and it is why segment-for-segment I will always prefer Honda's offerings over other asian imports. It's not even nostalgia, I didn't own a Honda until a few years ago, then bought a Ford afterwords, but having worked as a Valet driver I got a good feel for how each manufacturer drives across their lineup and always preferred Honda in the mass market import segment.

I've never owned a Honda but a buddy of mine had a pedestrian little 5sp 2001 Civic coupe years ago and I loved driving it. Same with another buddy's sister - she had a 94 Prelude 5sp and it was so loving fun to drive.

Closest I've come in a Toyota was my AW11. But even regular Hondas seem to just be way more fun to drive.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Inner Light posted:

Is there a factory chrome delete option yet for that hideous front clip? I wish they would redesign it yesterday. And that's a 2021.

I would assume it's relatively easy to pull that trim piece off and either paint it or wrap it

But you know how assumptions go

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Inner Light posted:

You can get it in "black chrome" depending on color/options package which makes it stand out less but no delete AFAIK

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
The Toyota Mirai article on Autoblog whatever but it's a hydrogen car and this is the perfect lead photo.

Sorry sarah connor

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't know if Ford is having issues moving cars right now or not, but I just got a 2K private cash offer from them, and I hadn't received one in a couple years from them. Too bad I'm not interested in the new Explorer at all. So glad we had a 2020 rental for a week.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Inner Light posted:

There's a factory bronze option that's what you wanted right

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Inner Light posted:

It would be easy enough to have black vinyl applied to it. Or just have the drat thing painted, either way not a big deal.

LeeMajors posted:

But even regular Hondas seem to just be way more fun to drive.

When I was test driving new cars the 5 speed Civic was WAY more fun than the 5 speed Corolla.

The Corolla had no torque whatsoever and the steering felt numb. The base K series in the Civic was much better and the steering and overall handling just felt better with more of a sporty feel, the Corolla is just an appliance no matter what trim you get. And this was the base Civic compared to the Corolla XS which is the highest trim I think, and the base Civic blew it away and was like 5 grand cheaper.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LeeMajors posted:

I've never owned a Honda but a buddy of mine had a pedestrian little 5sp 2001 Civic coupe years ago and I loved driving it. Same with another buddy's sister - she had a 94 Prelude 5sp and it was so loving fun to drive.

Closest I've come in a Toyota was my AW11. But even regular Hondas seem to just be way more fun to drive.

Got my first Honda a few days ago, a 2004 FIt/Jazz. The steering and shifting is pretty nice (but not as nice as in the Miata), but unfortunately the engine is the anemic 1.3 and rev hang is quite annoying. Still, not bad for a tiny econobox and probably way better than others in that segment at the time.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Kraftwerk posted:

I’ve owned a Rav 4 and loaded Toyota Camry and my father 2 Honda Accords and let me tell you by far and away the Accord is the better car. Even to the point after all the premium cars I’ve driven, like Germans, Jags, and Range Rover I will say it is the best car and the one I’d take. The Toyotas were at the bottom, poor power, terrible to drive, and their reputation is not good for the quality problems I had with them. The Accords on the other hand has 0 problems with regular maintenance and one went 180,000 miles, had good features, good cabin, good mile range, etc.

It’s not close. I feel insulted Toyota has a reputation compared and Honda is far and above them after experiencing both.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
In the US at least Honda just seems so much more focused on making good cars and CUV's which are basically lifted cars. No v8's, no body on frame, no full size suv's or trucks (lol ridgeline). They have a 30+ year history of making some of the best 4 cylinder engines in the world and the Accord has generally been a car they've given a poo poo about. Toyota has had its powertrain moments but they're less consistent and I still haven't forgiven them for so blatantly cost cutting and coasting on their brand with the Camry in the 2010's.

I have owned two Accords in the last 10 years and an H22A Prelude way back. All great cars with some personality and very well built. We have a Pilot right now, it is the least Hondalike Honda I've had but even it has a very noticeable VTEC cutover at something stupid like 5500rpm and the J series V6 is a really sweet engine in general. The AWD system is superior to anything else in its class as well.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Gatts posted:

I’ve owned a Rav 4 and loaded Toyota Camry and my father 2 Honda Accords and let me tell you by far and away the Accord is the better car. Even to the point after all the premium cars I’ve driven, like Germans, Jags, and Range Rover I will say it is the best car and the one I’d take. The Toyotas were at the bottom, poor power, terrible to drive, and their reputation is not good for the quality problems I had with them. The Accords on the other hand has 0 problems with regular maintenance and one went 180,000 miles, had good features, good cabin, good mile range, etc.

It’s not close. I feel insulted Toyota has a reputation compared and Honda is far and above them after experiencing both.

The Toyota reputation was built on literally loving bombproof cars in the 90s.

The Camry is a heartbreaker though. My folks had an early 90s Camry wagon that ran for like 500k and literally all the electronics still worked. Even the American-made ones in the late 90s were excellent.

I had a rental earlier this year and I kinda hated it? It was cheap, slow, entirely made of plastic and had like 12k on it but was a rattle-trap.

The trucks and 4Runners and Priuses are still bombproof, but that one hit home. A Camry should be a no-nonsense car that runs forever. Period. That still seems to be true of the Corolla at least.

If I wasn't such a Toyota truck homer with a really good local garage I probably would've given Honda a try by now--although lots of friends with Hondas have had AT and AC problems.

I've been really happy with my 4Runners and my current Tacoma. Good cars overall but man, 80s/90s Toyota was another animal.

One day I'll give in to KakerMix's influence and just import a diesel Prado 4door and drive it until I die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

If the fat 8th-gen Accord couldn't kick the Accord off the C&D 10Best list, nothing will.

kronix posted:

Edit: Except trucks, that poo poo gets updated

The Alpha-platform Camaro is the critically acclaimed, more athletic, and modern car you're talking about. Its sales are in the gutter.

The Charger and Challenger look good, go fast, and FCA have done enough to keep them relevant with the right updates. Those cars being stuck in time can be a good thing too: the Charger is the last sedan with a V8 you can buy for under $70,000. I wouldn't buy one, but I am glad that they exist.