Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Edit: superfluous, boring.

Don't sign your posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

jackofarcades posted:

These seem like they're just sarcasm, right? There's one from this year talking about how "black people are the real Jews." This is from when we had a big dustup about Nick Cannon and a few black athletes parroting some Louis Farrakhan stuff.

"The far left" and "the far right" tweet makes it clear he's saying both sides have an antisemitism problem, but the left tries to hide it.

Like, gently caress this guy and the thread was dumb and whatever, but the tweet searching stuff is almost always dumb poo poo taken out of context.

Which context is it okay to throw the N Word around? How many ironic "The Jews" jokes until it's obvious that it was never ironic?

Zesty has a new favorite as of 13:37 on Jan 4, 2021

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

jackofarcades posted:

These seem like they're just sarcasm, right? There's one from this year talking about how "black people are the real Jews." This is from when we had a big dustup about Nick Cannon and a few black athletes parroting some Louis Farrakhan stuff.

"The far left" and "the far right" tweet makes it clear he's saying both sides have an antisemitism problem, but the left tries to hide it.

Like, gently caress this guy and the thread was dumb and whatever, but the tweet searching stuff is almost always dumb poo poo taken out of context.

Dude, he said the gamer word, there's no coming back from that and no justification

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

ghost emoji posted:

I think that's a result of confirmation bias - you only see bad apologies go around. Successful, genuine apologies don't get a lot of responses or quote-tweets because they're not enraging, and Twitter's algorithm rewards controversial posts.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Zesty posted:

Which context is it okay to throw the N Word around? How many ironic "The Jews" jokes until it's obvious that it was never ironic?

I mean we have a whole forum that disagrees with that and fights to the death for it

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

iwentdoodie posted:

I mean we have a whole forum that disagrees with that and fights to the death for it

Not exactly a gold standard.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Zesty posted:

I haven't seen the N Word thing since the account was deleted and not everything was screenshot. I was just going off the screenshots that are still around. There's probably stuff I haven't seen that could be really bad.

I can understand not giving the guy the benefit of the doubt, it's just those tweets perfectly fit a section of like liberal comedy twitter that I understood them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Skwirl posted:

For some reason being treated really lovely by the British makes some Irish people think it's okay for them to use the n word, like it's the same as when African Americans use it. Reginald D Hunter, an African American comedian who lives in the UK sometimes talks about it.
Hi I'm Irish and what the gently caress no we don't? That's not a being irish thing it's a being a loving idiot thing.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

in context it seemed obvious that he was trying to say that antisemitism is bad, but, he was also fond of the phrase "as a student of Hitler" which makes me wonder if Hitler taught him how to open a can of beans

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

jackofarcades posted:

I haven't seen the N Word thing since the account was deleted and not everything was screenshot. I was just going off the screenshots that are still around. There's probably stuff I haven't seen that could be really bad.

I can understand not giving the guy the benefit of the doubt, it's just those tweets perfectly fit a section of like liberal comedy twitter that I understood them.

Given that the guy deleted his entire Twitter account it seems likely he knows exactly how bad it all looks for him.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
i'm glad all my old heinous posts on social media were made on 4chan, where they remain anonymous and also most likely lost to the ether
tho even as an anonymous channer saying the n word made me too uncomfortable to post it even ironically so not sure why this dude thought it was cool

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Gort posted:

Given that the guy deleted his entire Twitter account it seems likely he knows exactly how bad it all looks for him.

it basically feels like everyone who is anyone should regularly delete their old tweets

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

jackofarcades posted:

it basically feels like everyone who is anyone should regularly delete their old tweets

Everyone who is anyone shouldn't make bigoted or otherwise tasteless "jokes", or throw around the N-word.

It's not a case of older posts becoming not okay over time. They were not okay when they were posted.

Zesty has a new favorite as of 14:46 on Jan 4, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Cartman humor" has a lot to answer for

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Baron von Eevl posted:

Isn't urea extracted from urine though? Like it would be more "reconstituted pee" rather than "synthetic pee."

I can't believe this is the second time I've seen someone suggest making pee out of urea crystals on these forums.

Sounds like we got a shill for Big Piss here.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Data Graham posted:

"Cartman humor" has a lot to answer for

QFT

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Zesty posted:

Everyone who is anyone shouldn't make bigoted or otherwise tasteless "jokes", or throw around the N-word.

It's not a case of older posts becoming not okay over time. They were not okay when they were posted.

it would have been tolerable if he were a teen and stupid when he posted those, but he was in his 40s so gently caress him

I think the best example is Megan Amram, posted racist poo poo as a teenager and is now cool and good

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There’s also something to be said for being genuinely remorseful. But that ship has sailed here. He defended it all to death before deleting.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yo I love Megan Amram.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Victory Position posted:

Drew Carey? How do you drop that name in when he's already hosting The Price is Right?

Also Pat Sajak (who is astonishingly high on the list) and Steve Harvey. I struggle to see why anyone would put money on them being suitable hosts apart from the fact they already host other game shows. At least Tom Bergeron used to host an actual quiz show.

Part of me was actually holding out for Andy Richter just because of that one time he was a celebrity contestant and cleaned house.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

alexandriao posted:

A guy I knew left someone because she made weird noises while chewing.

idk what else to say here. People break up over weird and trivial poo poo apparently.

Saw my partner of over a decade eat fried chicken with a fork and knife last week and now I have to figure out dating apps.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

jackofarcades posted:

To quote Lindsay Ellis on this guy: this wasn’t some off color edgy tweet or two a decade ago, this was a pattern of behavior throughout his entire tenure on Twitter.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

Sounds like we got a shill for Big Piss here.
Oh no, I'm rumbled, I just hope my pissbux come in soon.
:piss:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

jackofarcades posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Original tweet

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah that dude doesn't actually consider himself an antisemite I'm sure, but he's obsessed with this Cartman-style bad humour.

https://twitter.com/JizzJohnsonJr/status/1345944069269303297

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I’m ashamed of all the horrible edgy things I said back as a college libertarian in the early 2000s. Glad Twitter didn’t exist, but if did make horrible tweets I certainly wouldn’t double down on them. Ironic hate speech is still hate speech and I’m glad I got better. It’s also different coming from someone not old enough to drink vs a dude in his 40s.

It’s also super jarring watching media from that time and hearing people casually drop the f and r words. But that’s more for the media that hasn’t aged well thread than this one

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I believe in the not too distant future we will judge politicians, job applicants, and others by not just tweets or facebook posts, but internet browsing and search history.

It will he a dark time for so many.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Bismuth posted:

I know the other guys are more high profile but theres a girl getting really dragged in the artist community because she has a fetishized nazi OC based on a REAL nazi that turned out was also her "sona/alter ego" and she was saying she wasnt supporting the "ideology" but when people went digging it turned out she was following some legit nazi types as well as CP artists. I feel like she could have been a Main Character if it wasnt for the higher profile ones all rolling out the last couple days

Heres her terribly worded apology and below someone's much better rebuttal https://twitter.com/sarahpdraws/status/1345589273622360066

Actually lost my loving mind at this because she's got the same name as an artist I really love, and I'm relieved it's not the same person.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ambitious Spider posted:

I’m ashamed of all the horrible edgy things I said back as a college libertarian in the early 2000s. Glad Twitter didn’t exist, but if did make horrible tweets I certainly wouldn’t double down on them. Ironic hate speech is still hate speech and I’m glad I got better. It’s also different coming from someone not old enough to drink vs a dude in his 40s.

It’s also super jarring watching media from that time and hearing people casually drop the f and r words. But that’s more for the media that hasn’t aged well thread than this one

I feel like if South Park hadn't been trying to out-edgy the likes of Beavis & Butt-head (which itself was one-upping the Simpsons which became a runaway success by being a dark mirror to saccharine 80s sitcoms), they wouldn't have gone so hard on the :airquote: ironic slurs.

What I'm saying is the Simpsons really did ruin America just like GHWB said

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t know why so many people seem to defend anti Jewish sentiment as long as you veil it in some irony.

No one would put up with that poo poo constantly happening in real life but online it’s fine

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

dialhforhero posted:

I believe in the not too distant future we will judge politicians, job applicants, and others by not just tweets or facebook posts, but internet browsing and search history.

It will he a dark time for so many.

Luckily for me bimbofication will be looked upon positively by that future society of ours

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

It’ll be like that movie Gattaca except instead of perfect genes people will be borrowing the identities of people with spotless social media histories.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

alexandriao posted:

idk what else to say here. People break up over weird and trivial poo poo apparently.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of that Seinfeld episode?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

alexandriao posted:

PIV is not the only sex.

https://twitter.com/JesseKellyDC/status/1345791579945132036

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/cons_owned/status/1346120200941432833

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I know it's old news at this point, but it's very funny that bean dad made the BBC

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55515243

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

jackofarcades posted:

What is the correct context to use "Jews" as a punchline? What is the point that you're trying to make here because I'm going to say that you really, really did not think it through.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

bean dad go on cum town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

GrandpaPants posted:

What is the correct context to use "Jews" as a punchline? What is the point that you're trying to make here because I'm going to say that you really, really did not think it through.

I think it’s fair to say “offensive things can be funny”. Problem is, most people who try to put that into practice aren’t funny.