Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Weird - the Spring Lantern Festival is gone from the Canadian Lego site - still see it on the US one. It even shows back up on my wishlist when I go to the US page. It also recently was listing a Jan 1st release on the Canadian site, but still says Jan 10th on US. Wonder if they just hid it because of that display error or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Absolutely wish I could have seen this episode Carbs, those are some adorable little builds

I'm gonna have to start setting Friday nights aside haha

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Brawnfire posted:

Absolutely wish I could have seen this episode Carbs, those are some adorable little builds

I'm gonna have to start setting Friday nights aside haha

Just do what I do and live where it's a Saturday lunch watch. Easy

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The big tiles like on the top of the NES are so bad. Big mold marks and no shine. I wonder if you could polish them?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

smackfu posted:

The big tiles like on the top of the NES are so bad. Big mold marks and no shine. I wonder if you could polish them?

I searched a bit looking for a technique but pretty much everything out there is focused on fixing scratches on transparent pieces. Acetone or clear nail polish may be things to try but it's going to be trial and error so buy some duplicates off bricklink.

It's probably a more effective use of time to buy a bunch of 2x6 tiles. The extra lines are not ideal, but there's already so many brick seams that kind of a silly complaint.

edit - checked bricklink and man 2x6's are a lot less common than I thought. There's enough for sale but not an unlimited amount, and they cost 60 cents a piece. 18 in grey and 24 in brown would be $25 just in parts. :v:

xzzy fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 2, 2021

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
They are bad. I heard they changed them on the batmobile to 2x6 tiles instead.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They are bad but they fit the TV, I think. After all, the top of the TV is not the thing that draws the eye. If anything, the dull look of the top helps to bring focus to the front where all the action is.

As for why the dull tiles, I suspect that shiny normal tiles of that size would be very easily broken.

minema
May 31, 2011
I got Assembly Square and the bookshop modular as a treat for a difficult year! Halfway into the bookshop and loving it so far. I love the look of modular buildings and they are going to fit perfectly in my new study. I still have the Hogwarts Great Hall and Newts Suitcase which I don't love any more and it doesn't really seem worth the hassle of reselling so I was going to try building additional modular buildings with the parts. Any advice on how to make them look like they fit, od any inspiration from similar things other people have made?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I wonder if there are going to be any more skyline Architecture sets. I think they should do Moscow and Chicago but I’m curious to see if they come up with anything else.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Scipiotik posted:

They are bad. I heard they changed them on the batmobile to 2x6 tiles instead.
This article claims you can request replacements.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finished the newest Slave 1. the build is nearly identical to the UCS version only paired down. Obviously not quite as cool as the UCS which is just drat near perfect looking and perfectly scaled to a minifig, but still really captures the look and details. From the front at least. The back end of the UCS is gorgeous and on the smaller one it's hideous looking.

it's still 10 times better than any of the other system scale ones.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I wonder if there are going to be any more skyline Architecture sets. I think they should do Moscow and Chicago but I’m curious to see if they come up with anything else.

They've already done Chicago.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Someone I follow on Instagram does fictional skylines:

https://instagram.com/benbuildslego

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sometimes, you need something functional and the Lego table calls out to you.

Kickstand on the boy’s iPad case broke, so I made a temporary solution. Surprisingly functional!

A simple thing, of course. The vents help with cooling.

The little hooks are low enough profile they don’t block the screen at all but do a very good job holding it in place.

And as sort of a happy accident, the brace sits perfectly flat against the iPad, almost looks intentional!

Also holds a sideways phone just perfect. Anyhow, just thought I’d share, don’t know that I’ve ever tried using Lego as a building material for a “real world” functional thing before. :shobon:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Bad Munki posted:

Sometimes, you need something functional and the Lego table calls out to you.

Kickstand on the boy’s iPad case broke, so I made a temporary solution. Surprisingly functional!

A simple thing, of course. The vents help with cooling.

The little hooks are low enough profile they don’t block the screen at all but do a very good job holding it in place.

And as sort of a happy accident, the brace sits perfectly flat against the iPad, almost looks intentional!

Also holds a sideways phone just perfect. Anyhow, just thought I’d share, don’t know that I’ve ever tried using Lego as a building material for a “real world” functional thing before. :shobon:

Cool!

I built a positioning collar out of LEGO to get my old phone to charge wirelessly on its dock.

It needed to be exactly 1 brick higher than the bottom of the dock to work.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Whelp, I have to go back to work tomorrow (not really as I've got oodles of vacation, but I'm making myself go back). I'm very pleased with my Lego experience while I've had time off. I was able to get my CMF fully inventoried, list everything I had still sealed for sale, make quite a few sales, and get my three favorite themes displayed properly in my display case. Three favorite themes being Islanders, Aquanauts, and Aquasharks. I took some photos and might share some here, but with work looming I'm in no rush to do the legwork to get my photos uploaded. While I have every set for Aquanauts/sharks I am missing three sets for the Islanders but I don't think I'll grab them any time soon.

Unfortunately, Lego will slow down a lot with me going back to work. But now that my major roadblocks are no longer in place I do hope I can maintain some level of progress. The big goal is to get the rest of the sets that are targeted for sale listed by end of month. Should be fully doable, but life has a habit of getting in the way.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Any recommendations for getting into motorized technic? I used to have mindstorms as a kid and really just want to mess about with motors and gears and stuff again as an adult.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, in the next Lego Ideas batch to consider is a Roman coliseum and a police station modular.

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/356335d0-84d1-44ab-855d-68896e332159

(Nice url Lego.)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

smackfu posted:

Heh, in the next Lego Ideas batch to consider is a Roman coliseum and a police station modular.

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/356335d0-84d1-44ab-855d-68896e332159

(Nice url Lego.)

The GMC trucks are very nice, and I love the Addams Family mansion although it might come to close to the Haunted House for Lego.

How the hell did that TX Master games thing get 10,000 votes? Am I missing something about it?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

I like the garbage truck. Otherwise to me this ideas quarter is a bust.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there a market for fancier versions of standard City vehicles? Some garbage / recycling truck variant is always part of the lineup.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Funny that two sets called Avatar made it in the same round.

Some neat stuff, a few I might get but nothing really wows me.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

How the hell did that TX Master games thing get 10,000 votes? Am I missing something about it?

Bots.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
god that Venice set is gorgeous :allears:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Scipiotik posted:

I like the garbage truck. Otherwise to me this ideas quarter is a bust.

There’s already a very similar garbage truck set, which is a great build and has all the kung fu chop action.

Gravity falls or bag end would be nice, but I doubt they’d make it past licensing. I would love that classic castle set, especially with a makeover treatment. Lighthouse with some updates would also be pretty cool. I’d also love the longship and Viking Village if either of those come to fruition. Vikings would be a good general theme for lego that they’ve never done before.

Funnily enough, I already have that car wash/music shop set

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I love Red Dwarf so I'd buy that Starbug set in an instant, but I doubt it passes the licensing test. Wallace and Gromit too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lego movie came with a pretty cool garbage truck too. That you could convert into a horrible toothed monster!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like Red Dwarf but I can't help but find spheres made of LEGO bricks fairly ugly

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

I like Red Dwarf but I can't help but find spheres made of LEGO bricks fairly ugly

The legs they put on it are worse if you ask me, zero effort went into them. Another bad build that got a billion votes just because it hit people's nostalgia buttons.

The stud-stuffed spheres tend to look better in person, there's just something about product lighting that makes them look like rear end. Not enough fill maybe, the studs have way too much contrast so it looks like butt. SNOT would look better but at that scale it tends to create a lot of seams so I'm not sure what the better approach would be.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Mystery shack and Viking look great.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

There’s already a very similar garbage truck set, which is a great build and has all the kung fu chop action.

Gravity falls or bag end would be nice, but I doubt they’d make it past licensing. I would love that classic castle set, especially with a makeover treatment. Lighthouse with some updates would also be pretty cool. I’d also love the longship and Viking Village if either of those come to fruition. Vikings would be a good general theme for lego that they’ve never done before.

Funnily enough, I already have that car wash/music shop set

Is there being no lego vikings theme a joke? https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Vikings

That is a good garbage truck, but my Toddler is obsessed with those robot garbage trucks so if I could get one he'd go nuts. Also a quick search says it's hard to find now and very expensive.

I should say the viking sets are nice, I just don't think I'd get them.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I wanted to buy the bouquet, something else and get the free vintage car on lego.com this month. It doesn't appear to be on their site anymore - did they run out? Is that normal for these gifts? How long until the bouquet comes back in stock?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Fritzler posted:

I wanted to buy the bouquet, something else and get the free vintage car on lego.com this month. It doesn't appear to be on their site anymore - did they run out? Is that normal for these gifts? How long until the bouquet comes back in stock?

When gifts with purchases are gone they're gone, it's normal. If you really want one in the future be ready to order whatever as soon as they go live. As to stock, no idea. Everything is out of stock everywhere.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I'll have to wait and see once I get it but I might part with that free car. I would have preferred the free ice rink from last month as that'd look better in our holiday display. The car makes sense outside the modular diner, which I still can't find and already comes with a car anyway.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What is this vintage car people are talking about? I don't see it anywhere on the offers page.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

What is this vintage car people are talking about? I don't see it anywhere on the offers page.

It's this
It was 85$+ GWP for this month, but I'm guessing they all got snapped up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oh was that the ideas set they redid?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Yes, it was the ideas contest winner.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

If you live near a LEGO store, check there for the various GWP sets. I was just at a local store today to buy a bunch of sets, and they had a lot of vintage car and a previous ice skating GWP sets. I got one of each.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Orvin posted:

If you live near a LEGO store, check there for the various GWP sets. I was just at a local store today to buy a bunch of sets, and they had a lot of vintage car and a previous ice skating GWP sets. I got one of each.

I sure do envy all the people allowed to just go in stores during this pandemic. There's a lego store in a mall 15 minutes from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Going to a mall right now is pretty lol. When I do my walks in a nearby park just to see something not the walls of my house half the people I pass aren't masked up. Risking that in a mall? Oh hell no.