Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Clearly our power needs should be met by constructing two enormous dams across the Irish Sea and running hydro power from the newly formed lake. Bonus score for making them dual-function as bridges.

Do the same thing across Gibraltar, too.

e: 24 is the number of hours per day in which Kier Starmer is a poo poo Labour leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
If parliament is being recalled on Wednesday, is that the earliest that this new lockdown can come into effect?

What, realistically, might "strict lockdown" include different from existing Tier 4 - i.e. is it in effect just extending Tier 4 to the whole of the country? Or might they remove some of the current exceptions? Or.... maybe schools?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Whoa there. When I said "did the research." I meant I watched videos and read articles about what they are like to use when compared to each other.
I didn't make any charts showing projected savings or loses as against long term use, or go into a price breakdown for energy per unit.
In that case I'd really go for the indoor air quality and safety aspects, there's been quite a bit of research done over the past decade (e.g. this) on how much a gas burner releases in terms of nitrogen oxide and dioxide and what effects that might have, where you both might see it as worth paying more to run it.

I just run the vent hood v:shobon:v

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So we've had a colour-based lockdown system (remember that?), two different word-based ones, and are now in a number-based one. Where does he go from here? Smells? "London was today placed in forgotten gym bag lockdown, with the rest of the south-east in slightly fishy and Cornwall remaining in underventilated cupboard".

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1346110314224340993

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

sebzilla posted:

Clearly our power needs should be met by constructing two enormous dams across the Irish Sea and running hydro power from the newly formed lake. Bonus score for making them dual-function as bridges.

e: 24 is the number of hours per day in which Kier Starmer is a poo poo Labour leader.

Since Bristol is gonna end up a lake due to global warming, you could just build a dam there now in the dry and wait for the water to arrive later. I have a hastily registered shell company that can send you a bid if you'd like.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

That is actually a proposed megaproject - the tidal movement in and out of the Irish Sea would be enough to power most of Europe.

As for Gibraltar, you're way late - Germans always have the most interesting ways of improving the amount of space available for people to live in.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

forkboy84 posted:

I have cheques that need to go in the bank, today was a bank holiday so tomorrow is the earliest I can go. Annoying.

Which bank? My bank allows me to deposit cheques by taking a photo of them with my phone via my bank's app

Truly we live in the future

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
What does a lockdown do that tier 4 isn't doing? Zooz?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

"benefits of 720p starts to become noticable" lmao ok

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Logistically very little, but it will hopefully get people to take it more seriously

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That is actually a proposed megaproject - the tidal movement in and out of the Irish Sea would be enough to power most of Europe.

As for Gibraltar, you're way late - Germans always have the most interesting ways of improving the amount of space available for people to live in.

doomed to failure because he wanted to join europe and africa properly and not just iwth a dam

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

There are rumours of a hippy commune in Scotland where some dropout engineers live by selling a small amount of power back to the grid from their DIY tidal rig.

Anyone know anything more about them?

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Schools, apparently. According to Peston who is presumably live-tweeting his phone call with the No. 10 comms director

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TheRat posted:

"benefits of 720p starts to become noticable" lmao ok

Charts a bit old but whatever. The real benefit of a big TV is it makes you feel like a Big Man I guess :shrug:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
gently caress sake, just pay everyone with a NI number a UBI for 2 months to stay in their loving house.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ewan posted:

If parliament is being recalled on Wednesday, is that the earliest that this new lockdown can come into effect?

What, realistically, might "strict lockdown" include different from existing Tier 4 - i.e. is it in effect just extending Tier 4 to the whole of the country? Or might they remove some of the current exceptions? Or.... maybe schools?

They can move the whole country into T4, without further parliamentary action but anything beyond that needs a vote, and I *think* that closing the schools would actually be within the DoE's remit without any vote needed. To me this suggests that they're going for a full March lockdown and/or - given that they've been cranking up the "it's you stupid proles that are the problem" rhetoric of late - that they're going to go further to the way France was in their first lockdown and require (self) documentation before leaving the house at all.

But seriously might as well just examine chicken entrails to try and guess what way they're going to go.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Thanks Mr Bob pesto. That saves me watching the idiot box of a ln evening

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Ewan posted:

I believe they can retroactively approve it - I'm fairly sure that's happened already once or twice - but it sounds like this is coming into affect on Wednesday (whether that's midnight tomorrow or at some arbitrary point on Wednesday is anyone's guess).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

doomed to failure because he wanted to join europe and africa properly and not just iwth a dam

I think he might have had some plans about dealing with that problem.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I bought an LG CX 55-inch 4K OLED TV over the summer - it's really fantastic, probably the best ever big tech purchase I've ever made. But the one downside is that I used one of those graphs to determine which was the best size for me, and now I really regret not getting a bigger screen. 55 inches felt like it was huge at first, but I got used to it very quickly. I definitely recommend going as large as you can.

And make your own double-entendre jokes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

Also you blow it up with jewish magitech in wolfenstein.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think he might have had some plans about dealing with that problem.

A solution, you say?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Ewan posted:

Nope, thanks to the stupid powers that Blair created via the Civil Contingencies Act Ministers have almost carte blanche powers to do what they like if it can be seen as for an emergency. Parliament is largely being used just to give it an impression we live in a democracy and also to pass the blame on to other parties.

If they want to create new offences though that will largely need to go through parliament, which could be highly likely if they want to make it illegal to leave your home for a none valid reason.

ukle fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 4, 2021

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

I have a 65 inch TV and I do not need to be 6 feet away to see the difference between 1080p and 4k. And I am pretty sure I can tell the difference between 1080p and 720p at 12 feet.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So we've had a colour-based lockdown system (remember that?), two different word-based ones, and are now in a number-based one. Where does he go from here? Smells? "London was today placed in forgotten gym bag lockdown, with the rest of the south-east in slightly fishy and Cornwall remaining in underventilated cupboard".

(I originally wanted to do sounds with the Day Today "can you sum it up in a sound" clip but the smells one was funnier to me, sue me)

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1346113547319865344

its coming back baby, threat level extra spicy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ewan posted:

I have a 65 inch TV and I do not need to be 6 feet away to see the difference between 1080p and 4k. And I am pretty sure I can tell the difference between 1080p and 720p at 12 feet.

The graph suggests you need to be about 4ft away

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ewan posted:

Yeah it's complete horseshit

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

I wonder if the exemptions will change. Meant to be viewing flats in London tomorrow (an exemption under Tier 4 at the moment).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It reminds me of a TV and radio engineering book from the 40s that was adamant that large screens (>12") were a waste of everyone's time for ordinary households because with present picture quality you'd have to sit outside to get a decent view.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

keep punching joe posted:

threat level extra spicy.

Staying in for a cheeky covids

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is different from tiers.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

It reminds me of a TV and radio engineering book from the 40s that was adamant that large screens (>12") were a waste of everyone's time for ordinary households because with present picture quality you'd have to sit outside to get a decent view.

Well yeah, back then they only had max 480i unless you bought the component cables

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

This is different from tiers.

No more tiers for keirs?

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
2025: the last few survivors shuffle listlessly around their local B&M, before going home to order a Domino's. Tier Level 8, Sub-Category Emergency Delta, Mood Colour Turquoise is declared by President Johnson.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

get them grocery delivery slots booked in now or you'll have to wait until valentine's day for your kilos of beef

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yeah this is the completely different "How hosed are we" scale, not the "Will you be able to get a haircut" lockdown scale.

(The fact it wasn't at 5 before Christmas proves how pointless the whole loving thing is)

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Yeah that chart is bs, at this point if you are buying a TV new just match the size of the TV as much as possible to the physical space, inches are cheap. Most of the time you are paying for smart features (avoid smart features where possible) and oled (of questionable brnefit for most users). The availability of 4k content has exploded in the last year as well, Disney+ and Apple TV seem to have the most.

4k Led with a 5.1 is much better than oled with TV speakers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I advise people to develop a minor vision defect, or as I like to call it "occular space anti-aliasing"

Also available is occular space colour correction, though that is less useful.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1346118315056504832

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

I guess it depends how big your rooms and layouts are.

I'm about 1.5m away from my 22" screen tv most of the time (though if I am using my laptop at my table instead of on my lap, I watch it reflected in a handily placed mirror as tv is behind me). (I should probably also point out that I almost never watch tv and just watch it. I'm almost always using my laptop to do spreadsheets, websites or shitpost at the same time. This is why I can watch the same episode of a show several times without noticing I already saw it because I just remember bits at random.)
My living room really isn't big enough or served with sufficient sockets in other parts of the room (and I have enough trailing extension cables already without adding even more into the mix) to sit further away without reversing into the (tiny) kitchen or hall (from which I wouldn't be able to see the tv anyway!)

I would struggle to see the whole picture on a 55" tv screen.

When I see pictures of living rooms from the 40s 50s, they were quite small really.

justcola posted:

get them grocery delivery slots booked in now or you'll have to wait until valentine's day for your kilos of beef

And my mother was taking the piss out of me for having 4 crates (approx 8 weeks worth) of food supplies in (resulting in lots of logistical manoeuvres around my flat so my living room is not stacked high with collapsible black crates and bottled water - a bit like those little puzzles with the missing square you have to move around.)
"Why do you need all that" she says "Apocalypse - brexit & covid" said I. (She has a 3 bedroom house and probably has substantially more supplies in than me but with lots of cupboards it doesn't look like it).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 4, 2021