Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/1346102781518761985

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I was supposed to have one out with them next year but they've totally blanked me. I don't think it'll make it out before 2022 :sigh:

This sucks rear end for my fiscal survival since it means I'll have nothing out next year! The book's been done for YEARS why won't you publish it

e: covid is to blame much more than tor dot com though

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 4, 2021

mewse
May 2, 2006

They put gideon the ninth in the stack but it was published sept 2019 :confused:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

General Battuta posted:

I was supposed to have one out with them next year but they've totally blanked me. I don't think it'll make it out before 2022 :sigh:

This sucks rear end for my fiscal survival since it means I'll have nothing out next year! The book's been done for YEARS why won't you publish it

Do you not have a "for food" job?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Not since 2014. I left Bungie pretty much catatonic with crunch-induced depression and it took me a few years to recover. My big income source aside from books is freelance for Bungie; since I have no proven job skills except writing for Destiny (it was my first job out of grad school) I’m more or less their indentured servant. If they decide they don’t like me any more I’m several kinds of hosed. Don’t work on video games kids.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
There should be a big glowing Don’t Read Donaldson Unless You Have A Rape Fetish in the op.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ShutteredIn posted:

There should be a big glowing Don’t Read Donaldson Unless You Have A Rape Fetish in the op.
What actually made me quit Thomas Covenant wasn't the rape scene, it was all the loving Proper Nouns.
Well, that and the world being really generic and boring. But there are just so many...

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

mewse posted:

They put gideon the ninth in the stack but it was published sept 2019 :confused:

I think they're counting the paperback as a sort of separate release.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

anilEhilated posted:

What actually made me quit Thomas Covenant wasn't the rape scene, it was all the loving Proper Nouns.
Well, that and the world being really generic and boring. But there are just so many...

But what about puissance, suzerainty and attar and other fun words you won’t ever encounter in the wild outside of Covenant? Doesn’t that make them worth reading?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Velius posted:

But what about puissance, suzerainty and attar and other fun words you won’t ever encounter in the wild outside of Covenant? Doesn’t that make them worth reading?

this does a real disservice to China Mieville, who wrote puissance/puissant as like every third word in Perdido Street/the sequels lol

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Huh. Tor seems like such a giant in sci-fi/fantasy that I'm surprised that's all they publish in a year.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Ccs posted:

Huh. Tor seems like such a giant in sci-fi/fantasy that I'm surprised that's all they publish in a year.

This isn’t Tor, it’s Tor.com. Separate but adjacent outfit.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

ShutteredIn posted:

Link the actual academic paper.

https://repository.arizona.edu/bits...3958?sequence=1

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

StrixNebulosa posted:

Good to know, I'll continue to avoid the author. Thanks!

...which makes me sad, I love big weird space opera with weird aliens and stuff. :sigh: At least I'll always have Glen Cook and CJ Cherryh.

You're gonna want to ignore the existence of Cook's Port of Shadows. Donaldson at least is working with unpleasant themes that merit some discussion (cf the paper linked above), but Port of Shadows is just skeevy throughout. It also isn't a very good Black Company story, so just skip it, you'll be happier. There are some related short stories in The Best of Glen Cook which are pretty good, so if you need a fresh infusion of the Company, go with those. It's also got some great Dread Empire fiction,

https://smile.amazon.com/Best-Glen-Cook/dp/1949102173

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 4, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

General Battuta posted:

I'll be buying Tyrant when it finally gets a physical UK release.

... can you hold out until May? :ohdear:

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

ToxicFrog posted:

I finally got my reading brain back after moving house left me with like a month of being unable to read anything more demanding than the lightest and fluffiest of romance manga, and ripped through the remaining ~200 pages of Tyrant Baru in two sittings.

You might like these essays on the Masquerade series now that you're up to date. The author digs into the historical, philosophical, sociological, and mathematical concepts underpinning the series in a way that I found very thoughtful and considered. It's cool.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

quote:

Few bodies of work have analyzed sexed violence with as much determination as
Donaldson’s; certainly, no other genre novelist has examined the perpetrator’s side of rape with
such rigor, nuance, or depth

:eyepop:

quote:

In the end, this article has argued that Donaldson’s body of work, even as early as Lord
Foul’s Bane, has attempted an ambitious, nuanced, and yet unrecognized engagement with
feminist thinking on sexed violence. If most academic critics have failed to realize this, then the
reason might partly stem, as I have suggested, from the postmodern turn in feminist thinking, not
to mention larger theoretical trends in academia. As a humanist and existentialist in an era grown
increasingly wary of atomic individualism and autonomous subjects, Donaldson offers a—for
some—problematic, non-discursive approach to sexed violence. Still, no other writer in
speculative fiction (or outside the field, for that matter) has ever attempted such a sustained and
career-long phenomenological account of male sexual violence. While Donaldson does try to
tackle the survivor side of rape with sympathy, creating Morn Hyland as a partially successful
rewrite of Lena, his greater literary strength nevertheless seems to rest on the representation of
men who violate and abuse. Appropriately enough given Donaldson’s religious background, we
might consider his core literary mission a parallel to Christ’s dictum to have come to call, not the
saved, but the sinners. At the same time, Donaldson shows a deep feminist commitment to
gender equality, especially when it comes to moral choice

Ultimately, however, even if contemporary trends in postmodern theorizing seem to hold
little place for Donaldson, that disregard might actually cement Donaldson’s contemporary
importance. Since power in Donaldson functions as an existential category rather than a socio-
political one, his fiction presumes an ontological priority for the individual subject over and
against discursive and sociological influences. When it comes to sexed violence, then, this means
that a Donaldsonian ethics of intersubjective relatedness—treating one another as subjects, not
objects—can apply to situations outside the scope of other theory-driven solutions. It applies in
dreams; it applies to illegals on the fringes of unregulated human and Amnion space. Depending
on how well Donaldson’s fiction is seen as motivating these intuitions, the first Chronicles as
well as the Gap sequence might constitute some of speculative fiction’s most groundbreaking
work in the literary analysis of sexed violence

I don't even know where to begin with this paper. Like, despite the academic language it stills pings my radar as "man tries to defend his favorite novelist and spin problematic elements as worthwhile" and I don't know if I can be unbiased enough to pull that apart.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

tiniestacorn posted:

You might like these essays on the Masquerade series now that you're up to date. The author digs into the historical, philosophical, sociological, and mathematical concepts underpinning the series in a way that I found very thoughtful and considered. It's cool.

Oh, those are tasty! Thank you.

Also, TIL (or re-learned?) that Battuta isn't cishet. Cool.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Jedit posted:

I'll be buying Tyrant when it finally gets a physical UK release.

... can you hold out until May? :ohdear:

Take all the time you need, I haven't earned out the entire four-book deal (rip) so I won't be getting royalties either way.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Take all the time you need, I haven't earned out the entire four-book deal (rip) so I won't be getting royalties either way.

Do you have a patreon or something, or other works that you do get royalties on?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Yeah, I was gonna say if you did a patreon and did some short stories or stuff from it occasionally I would join.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008QXVDJ0/

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DN8BQMD/

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

StrixNebulosa posted:

:eyepop:

I don't even know where to begin with this paper. Like, despite the academic language it stills pings my radar as "man tries to defend his favorite novelist and spin problematic elements as worthwhile" and I don't know if I can be unbiased enough to pull that apart.

You'd almost think it was tongue in cheek in praising him for his career long efforts in covering rape, no not from that side like everyone else

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dilber posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say if you did a patreon and did some short stories or stuff from it occasionally I would join.

Yeah, a bunch of GB's short stories are available online, but at this point I think I've read all of them and I would definitely pay a subscription for more, or even the possibility of more, because they are the good poo poo.

E: checking my journal, I've read 15, and of those there was one I was "meh" on and all the others I liked to various degrees; a few were "sobbing into my e-reader, but in a good way" reads, like Never Dreaming (In Four Burns) and Kumara.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

pradmer posted:

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008QXVDJ0/

This is a good one.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

eke out posted:

this does a real disservice to China Mieville, who wrote puissance/puissant as like every third word in Perdido Street/the sequels lol

A palimpsest of puissance. A chitinous susurration of etoliated horripilations. Communism.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

General Battuta posted:

Is the industry just set up so most fantasy authors don’t earn out their deals? It seems like Baru was pretty successful relative to the vast majority of books.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

In theory you never want to earn out an advance, because it means you could've earned more money by asking for a bigger advance.

In practice, I don't know, but I think most books don't earn out. This is actually good for authors, though. If publishing only bought books that would earn out there would be far fewer published writers. As it is, big authors can bankroll a variety of small ones, and who knows who'll blow up.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

I really am at an impasse of what I want to read next. Did a full Sanderson reread and read RoW, read Orcanomics, the Goblin Prince, all of the Baru books. I feel like I want to read a big drat space opera next, but the latest Expanse book isn’t out. I have read some of the Terms of Enlistment series but I can’t remember which one I left off so that’s a bummer.

If you like Aliens, politics and large scale space opera you might like Walter Jon Williams' Praxis (dread empires) novels. There was a new one out a month or so back, bringing it up to seven books.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dread_Empire%27s_Fall

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

General Battuta posted:

In theory you never want to earn out an advance, because it means you could've earned more money by asking for a bigger advance.

In practice, I don't know, but I think most books don't earn out. This is actually good for authors, though. If publishing only bought books that would earn out there would be far fewer published writers. As it is, big authors can bankroll a variety of small ones, and who knows who'll blow up.

Ah that makes sense — I wasn’t thinking about it as the interaction between # of sales and size of advance.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PawParole posted:

Speaking of Isekai and portals, has anyone read a good book about travel between parallel worlds recently? I just finished Robert Charles Wilson’s Last Year, and while I didn’t particularly care for the time period it was set in, the idea of a post-global warming future America interacting with one in the 1800’s was pretty interesting.

While I wasn't super thrilled with how it ended I mostly enjoyed the Long Earth series by Stephen Baxter and Terry Pratchett. It takes place in the near future where one day a device schematic appears on the internet that can be constructed out of basic household items. When completed the device lets you travel, one step at a time, to alternate universes. The twist is that as far as they can tell there are no humans on any alternate Earths. The first book (The Long Earth) follows a young man who is hired to be a guide by an AI who wants to see how far they can go into the depths of the alternate realities.

The series as a whole goes into the ideas of how society would change with what are basically unlimited resources and room to expand without every actually having to leave Earth.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

General Battuta posted:

The next one is actually going pretty well!

How many times do characters inappropriately exoticise the One White Dude? Is it possible for them to do it more?

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 5, 2021

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I finally finished The Years Best Science Fiction Volume 1 edited by Jonathan Strahan.

This is very much positioned to be a replacement for the Gardner Dozois anthology, complete with the summary of the year in science fiction introduction and the recommended reading list in the back.

Strahan's past collections have consistently been good and this one is no exception, but boy howdy this is not a fun book -- either Strahan or SF authors in general are just not happy people right now. It's mostly stories about catastrophic disaster and biosphere collapse and the rich hunting the poor for sport and the poor systematically murdering all the rich and so on. Not much in the way of optimism or whimsy in this collection.

The stand out for me was The Work of Wolves by Tegan Moore, a story of the inner monologue of an Enhanced Intelligence search and rescue dog.

Also great: The Painter of Trees - Suzanne Palmer, Sturdy Lanterns and Ladders - Malkan Older, It's 2059 and the Rick Kids Are Still Winning - Ted Chiang, The Robots of Eden - Anil Menon, Now Wait for This Week - Alice Sola Kim, Cyclopterus - Peter Watts, Emergency Skin - NK Jemisin, At the Fall - Alec Nevala-Lee, Green Glass: A Love Story - E. Lily Yu, and This is Not the Way Home - Greg Egan.

And all the rest were decent to good stories.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Dispossessed by Ursula K Le Guin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC11GA/

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

pradmer posted:

The Dispossessed by Ursula K Le Guin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC11GA/

quote:

Review
“This novel, by a celebrated Hungarian poet, depicts the world of his childhood…The narrator, a young boy whose family is shunned-it was once wealthy and is suspected of being Jewish-endures beatings, hunger, and taunts with the fatalism of someone who has never known anything else.” (New Yorker) --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

I'm not familiar, did Ursula K Le Guin used to publish under male pseudonyms?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Sibling of TB posted:

I'm not familiar, did Ursula K Le Guin used to publish under male pseudonyms?

Lol nope, that's a hell of a review to misplace

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

There is a novel that applies to, also named the Dispossessed. Definitely an unfortunate misplacement.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/marthawells1/status/1345008789527941121
Martha Wells talking about pirated versions of her books being for sale on Amazon kindle store.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

the Traitor Baru Cormorant was among a big pile of books I got for my mom (who does not read fantasy novels normally) for christmas

after sampling the early chapters of each book, TTBC was the one she picked out to finish first

three of the other novels were by people with pulitzers

what I'm saying is, good job Battuta, you scalawag

now we just have to see if her affection for the work survives the ending :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

https://twitter.com/marthawells1/status/1345008789527941121
Martha Wells talking about pirated versions of her books being for sale on Amazon kindle store.

by all accounts this happens a lot to self-pub authors on Amazon, though it looks like she might have been able to make enough noise about it that Amazon acted on the reports. At least for me, the only one I see on Amazon is the one she links in the Twitter thread.