Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

My big things for the year are:

• I really want to take these old douglas fir barn beams I've got and turn them into some kind of coffee table. I've had ideas kicking around in my head for a few years now, it's about time to actually act on them.
  • I made a shelf by our backdoor, like, a month after we moved in (June 2010) and it looks likes poo poo. Want to replace that and have little drawers under it.
  • Finish the bathroom sink cabinet that has been in progress for approx 14 months
  • New drawers for the built-in cabinet in the kitchen. 1 is done, 3 left.
  • Get better at sharpening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I have to build 4 of these:

Are there any good phone/pc apps out there that help to make drawings like this?

I have zero aptitude for drawing and have been looking for software to help visualize/plan projects for a while now. Like I was thinking of something where you can put in the dimensions for each component and drag then around, not sure if anything like that exists?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Last time I was able to do anything "woodworking" as opposed to "construction", I was starting to shoot B-roll for a "I have not swung a hammer since high school [though I swung a lot of hammers in high school], let's bootstrap a home shop and do some fun stuff" video series. That was...late 2019, I mentioned it around here when I was flogging some very basic plans for a workbench. Then COVID started, and I figured maybe playing with power tools wasn't the best idea, and then we bought a new house. So I've been swinging a hammer sometimes but it has not exactly been Fine Woodworking.

Downside: early stuff, like my questionable attempt at a workbench, could not make it out of the basement of the old house.

Less downside: it sucked and I'm still learning, no big loss.

Upside: house renovations made it permissible to buy some nicer stuff a little ahead of schedule; me having a decent saw on-site has been helpful for the contractors (who are mostly business associates working for us on the cheap, so not having to lug their stationary tools and just using mine has made things easier for them). I love that Metabo HPT tablesaw and that little compound miter saw that was linked above/talked about earlier. Absolutely love 'em.

More upside: new house's entire basement is mine; half is my recording studio, and half (the garage half) is going to be the wood shop. I have a hard time seeing 23' x 12' not being enough space for one novice-to-intermediate for a very long time, and since it's gutted right now I can make it nice. Two 240V circuits (neither occupied at the moment but the year is young, and even if I don't end up needing 240V tools anytime soon I'm considering an electric car for my next vehicle), five 120V 20A circuits (two for tools with scram switches, the rest for stuff like dust collection, air filtering, and climate control), and I've got time and space to lay down a self-leveling epoxy floor to hopefully get it more or less flat and more or less level (though I'll take the latter if I can't have both, my contractors are pretty sure we'll be OK).

The oil shed was used for wood storage by a previous owner, as it's already got wood racks; it isn't temperature controlled but can easily be humidity controlled at least, and I can steal a little bit of it as an "indoor outdoor" space to stick the dust collector so I don't have to go whole-hog on buying a massive cylinder, etc. for the metric standard Harbor Freight 2HP dust collector. (yet.)

It'll also be adjoining the studio, so cameras/audio/etc are easy to rig and to run cables from (and the inevitable purpose-built studio furniture to carry in). I have half a mind to livestream the projects I'll be doing in the shop, which for the foreseeable future will be "making shop furniture until my hands fall off". I think my first stop is an assembly table that I can put on casters and have double for an outfeed table for the more-or-less statically positioned tablesaw. Then start filling in the rest of the space. The foundation of the house is a bit weird on the outside, so one wall has this funky outcropping that I'm gonna have to probably build a counter over, but I'm hoping to do something clever so I can use the rest of that wall as a single long runway for the miter saw, my near-future router table, and so on.

I have only the dimmest idea of what I'm doing, as I've never built my own shop and just used my dad's/my school's, but hey. It'll be fun? Question mark?

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 3, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bouillon Rube posted:

Are there any good phone/pc apps out there that help to make drawings like this?

I have zero aptitude for drawing and have been looking for software to help visualize/plan projects for a while now. Like I was thinking of something where you can put in the dimensions for each component and drag then around, not sure if anything like that exists?

I use Fusion360, which is a fairly full-on CAD app, but accessible as CAD programs go..having said that, it's not that simple to just jump into.

Sketchup is another free, simpler option and I did a fair amount of that in the beginning and OnShape is a browser based CAD program, which is supposedly also fairly easy to use.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bouillon Rube posted:

I learnt to use Sketchup in a few hours by following this tutorial video. It moves quite quickly but pausing and doing the thing, then going back and playing again worked well for me. It helps if you've had some experience of 3D modelling programs in the past since it uses a very similar Axis system to 3DS Max but you can come to it completely new. Its probably the best 'tutorial' on this I've seen since not only does he explain the mechanics of how to do things, but he constantly refers to the keyboard shortcuts as he's going through it so it really beds in the workflow to your brain. Speeds everything up immensely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlnE7fgVx6k

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

My old boss did it and it was great. I did it with my yard tools and it’s great, but my shop tools are scattered between 3 sets of shelves and a mechanics tool chest and it’s bad and ISWEARTOGOD I’m really gonna build myself a proper tool cabinet this year.

What’s everyone’s project/woodworking plans/goals for the year? Aside from a tool cabinet, I need to finish the chairs for my chair thread and and I want to mess around with hammer veneering and get better at turning.

The plan is to finish the built in bookshelves/secret door and after that I have a new office desk I want to make. I seem to be picking up work here and there for Friends of friends at the moment so we'll see what comes up over the year.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

NomNomNom posted:

How do we feel about free format tool walls?

I don't subscribe to the rigors of French cleats or pegboard.

I just started the same project this weekend

I need to pick up some more dowels and make holders for the screwdrivers etc. I'm happy with how it's coming along so far though, far better than my previous system (tools scattered between the bench, a couple tool bags, and random places around the house)

Toebone fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 3, 2021

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I just am using some magnetic strips for now.

This is mostly just the stuff I use inside at my guitar repair bench the outside shop is still a work in progress and is like thunderdome right now.
Please excuse the cheap chisels they look like poo poo but they get the job done.

I have a few hand planes I'm working on getting back into shape.

As for other projects this year I have a pretty interesting old night stand that I'm using on one side of our bed I have the drawers for its twin but no cabinet. I thought it might be a good mind/skill exercise to see if I can build one to match and fit the existing drawers into it and refinish them both to match the head board.

Not fine woodworking but I have some HiFi speakers the I need to make frames for to hold some grill cloth.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Kaizen foam\shadow foam is my current storage dream, but I refuse to pay for it and put in the work until I've built my under-bench storage drawers, which I plan to do soon.

As far as projects, I want to do that of course. I've ordered benchcrafted's moxon vice kit and I'm looking forward to building a benchtop addon that can also be moved inside to do a little carving. The extra height on my roubo will be very welcomed.

I'd like to do a furniture grade project for someone besides my wife and myself this year. I did a murphy bed for my sister in law last year, but it was really just a plywood kit with some trim work. I also have this problem where I really want to build a wall cabinet, but we don't really need a wall cabinet and it doesn't really go with the rest of the house :(

re: 3d modeling. I don't do it a lot, and I always used sketchup. I felt like every time it was time to model something again, I had to find out how to get the desktop version by googling around and general annoyances like that. Took a weekend to try fusion 360 and going back to sketchup would be very painful now.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Uthor posted:

Looks cool, not for me? I appreciate the Adam Savage first order retrieval system, but I like my drawers. They work well with my brain.

Agreed on Adam's retrieval system, but I have to balance it. I need my shop much 'cleaner' than his and cleanable... I think his shop would look dramatically different if he had to deal with the dust of a full woodworker.

I'm a big fan of 'kits.' My sister in law works for the container store, so my house is stuffed with clear storage boxes, mostly the 'shoebox' size. Anything that I don't use weekly gets kitted. Examples would be staple gun and all accessories\staples. Electric Smoker box - grill grates\manual\meat injector, etc. pocket hole jig\dowel jig + respective dowels and screws. When time to use it, I pull that kit to the area I need it. When I need to find something, I think of it in that way... Pipe bender? That's in the plumbing kit. Get's used one a year at most. Top shelf, large unorganized box. Dowels? Small organized box in a drawer in the lathe cabinet. Combo square? Used daily, top dedicated drawer under the workbench with all my layout tools - not boxed in a kit.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I want to finish up the slab coffee table I started like a year ago, which is still waiting for me to figure out an approach for the legs that I can handle.

I'd like to try to make a fancy front door but I suspect that's beyond my skills currently.

As good an excuse to buy a Domino as you'll ever have, m8.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bobua posted:

I'm a big fan of 'kits.'

I guess I work that way, too. I had a single toolbox when I was apartment hopping. I eventually outgrew it and moved all my electronics tools into a fishing tackle box (it has its pros and cons). I keep all my glue/tape/staples in a 3 drawer desk organizer. I've been buying small woodworking tools and don't have a place for them other than a cabinet in the utility room, so I'm thinking about making some storage boxes for them (router box with bit storage, sander box with paper storage, etc).

I'm currently renting a house, so I have a ton more space and a bigger tool chest, but I'm also not going to make any big, permanent storage modifications.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Leperflesh posted:

Most videos etc. on fettling and tuning and flattening a plane will tell you A) that you need to do it and B) that a bit of a dip behind the mouth is OK.

I'll tell you that a plane does not, in fact, need to be as flat as people insist, and that for 99.9% of the work you'll do.

Also

I'm interested in your research, because
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAOUxnni3c8

what I've seen is nah. I'm with this guy. The geometry of the cutting edge matters most. If the sole of the plane is more or less flat and free of corrosion, it will function very very well.

e. I think it's fine to re-test as you suggested, of course. What I'm saying is that for most people and most planes, they'll find no difference. Some planes may have unusual geometry, frog mechanism, or maybe really cheap planes with plate steel rather than cast iron soles flex more. It's not hard to check. I just don't want to tell someone who has already flattened a plane unassembled that they've done it wrong, and doing it unassembled may be more comfortable especially for big heavy planes, so yeah not a big deal.

That video I linked does make a good point that I rarely see mentioned, though, which is that the plane iron should not be in contact with the machined back edge of the throat, and that's what causes cracks behind the throat. Great tip.

I don't actually disagree with anything you said, but Paul Sellers contradicts some of what the plane restoration dude claims (the rest of the research is very, very boring papers on metallurgy). Who's actually right? Probably doesn't matter, because like you said, blade geometry reigns supreme.

My own planned projects this year include an earring hanger, a wooden necktie, a bandsawn elephant, new handsaw handle, and finally getting a workbench with some weight made, because I'm tired of scooting the one I have around the garage every time I go to plane something. But first, finishing baby's first cutting board:

Next time I get the bright idea to do something like this, I'm buying a CNC machine.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 3, 2021

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Bouillon Rube posted:

TinkerCad is about as simple as it can get for mocking stuff up in 3D and is basically what you've described. It's designed for 3d printing and laser cutting so for big poo poo you have to pretend inches are millimeters but it works well enough.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

In the market for a table saw.. I've owned the delta and enjoyed it but the reviews of "motor burned out and it was 300 to replace" is a little scary to me. I think I'm down to the delta and the dewalt.. Thoughts?

The dewalt: It's fence has me wondering about it's ability to be accurate when cutting. : This is sometimes in stock maybe?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-15-Amp-Corded-10-in-Job-Site-Table-Saw-with-Rolling-Stand-DWE7491RS/204512007

The Delta: Less compact, fence is pretty nice from my experience.. in stock places, motor is questionable but overall the saw is p nice
https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-Contractor-Saws-10-in-Carbide-Tipped-Blade-15-Amp-Table-Saw/1001385562

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The Dewalt fence is good and accurate and has plenty of power. It's a really good saw, and probably the best in the compact table saw realm. That said, it's still a painted aluminum top and a very short (front to back) table which makes crosscuts more difficult, gives less support for long rips, etc.
The Delta is definitely better if you don't need the portability as it's a cast iron top and a t-style fence. That's the newer design and I don't have any experience with it, but it looks like all good improvements vs the older one.
The next jump from the Delta would probably be the Ridgid R4520. After that, you're into cabinet style hybrid saws >$1k and/or used cabinet saws (which is a great option depending on the used tools market around you)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Parallel question - if I'm thinking abou taking the leap into getting a few cordless tools, which brands should I look into?

e. I guess avoid is likely the better question.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Parallel question - if I'm thinking abou taking the leap into getting a few cordless tools, which brands should I look into?

e. I guess avoid is likely the better question.

If you're a homeowner and not a pro.. I'd say the Ryobi has the best bang for the buck poo poo has been very good to me. Usually you can get kits on sale which will include a lovely light or some bullshit but usually a good value.
I've amassed 8 batteries and a ton of tools they haven't' let me down. Don't underestimate the value of 2 drills. It's nice to have the ability to drill a hole and then drive a screw without changing bits.
Keep in mind things like battery powered saws are going to have limited use, a battery skill saw is going to have some limitations and really are meant for occasional use.. if you're putting up a fence get a plug in one. If you need to rip one sheet of plywood occasionally you're probably good with battery.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

The Dewalt fence is good and accurate and has plenty of power. It's a really good saw, and probably the best in the compact table saw realm. That said, it's still a painted aluminum top and a very short (front to back) table which makes crosscuts more difficult, gives less support for long rips, etc.
The Delta is definitely better if you don't need the portability as it's a cast iron top and a t-style fence. That's the newer design and I don't have any experience with it, but it looks like all good improvements vs the older one.
The next jump from the Delta would probably be the Ridgid R4520. After that, you're into cabinet style hybrid saws >$1k and/or used cabinet saws (which is a great option depending on the used tools market around you)

I mean I owned the delta then it somehow got lost / left my garage during my divorce.. really weird. I enjoyed the table and while I'd like to take up as little room as posssible it's not like it's unbearably large and can't get moved into a corner. I don't want a cabinet saw. the delta and the dwelt really seem like my options for not a small back of truck saw. I think maybe the delta and then maybe tack on whatever protection plan lowes is offering.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

If the space/portability isn't a concern, I don't see any reason not to go with the delta.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

tater_salad posted:

If you're a homeowner and not a pro.. I'd say the Ryobi has the best bang for the buck poo poo has been very good to me. Usually you can get kits on sale which will include a lovely light or some bullshit but usually a good value.
I've amassed 8 batteries and a ton of tools they haven't' let me down. Don't underestimate the value of 2 drills. It's nice to have the ability to drill a hole and then drive a screw without changing bits.
Keep in mind things like battery powered saws are going to have limited use, a battery skill saw is going to have some limitations and really are meant for occasional use.. if you're putting up a fence get a plug in one. If you need to rip one sheet of plywood occasionally you're probably good with battery.

Yeah I'm a homeowner/hobbyist, but I get pissed off at poo poo that breaks. Mind I've owned a Ryobi corded orbital palm sander for about a month now and I've been pretty happy with it so far. The main things I'm eyeing up are the cordless drill/driver (especially the driver, actually) combos and not so much saws, though a cordless sawzall might have some uses in my life. I just looked Ryobi up on Wikipedia and apparently they make the Milwaukee tools too - are the batteries cross-compatible or are they loving dicks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
With cordless tools, you have two big questions you need to answer:
  • What kind of tools do you foresee needing in the future? Some brands have more tools than others, so it's worth double-checking that you aren't locking yourself into needing to buy two different battery systems in the future.
  • What color do you like?

Seriously, there's minor quality differences and minor price differences, but I've never heard anyone say that a particular major brand is not worth buying. If you have extra money to throw around, buy Festool and enjoy a nicer fit and finish (or, to a much less extreme extent, Makita). Otherwise they're pretty interchangeable with minor differences on specific tools.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

• What kind of tools do you foresee needing in the future? Some brands have more tools than others, so it's worth double-checking that you aren't locking yourself into needing to buy two different battery systems in the future.

Seriously, there's minor quality differences and minor price differences, but I've never heard anyone say that a particular major brand is not worth buying. If you have extra money to throw around, buy Festool and enjoy a nicer fit and finish (or, to a much less extreme extent, Makita). Otherwise they're pretty interchangeable with minor differences on specific tools.

Great! That's the kind of info I needed.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Well stay away from Harbor freight tools but doing 1 for 1 you're not going to see a lot of difference but most of the Milwakee kits seem to be brushless which is going to add to the pricepoint vs the basic kit from Ryobi. Milwakee seems to be what every tradesman (the few that have) that comes into my house carries if that helps.

more falafel please posted:

If the space/portability isn't a concern, I don't see any reason not to go with the delta.

Welp I guess that's what I'll be going for. Especially since surprisingly stores actually have it in stock currently, it's a difficult saw to get hands on. The first time I bought it I had to stalk the store and got one as they were rolling off the truck.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Hypnolobster posted:

The Dewalt fence is good and accurate and has plenty of power. It's a really good saw, and probably the best in the compact table saw realm.

Obligatory stanposting for the Metabo HPT CJ10RS, which has a similar fence and is often a lot cheaper. I've used a friend's DW745 and it's really good too, but I'd go for whichever one you could find cheaper.

CommonShore posted:

I just looked Ryobi up on Wikipedia and apparently they make the Milwaukee tools too - are the batteries cross-compatible or are they loving dicks.

They are absolutely loving dicks. Every brand line has its own batteries, more or less, with a couple really edge-case exceptions (like the MAC tools sold by Snap-On are literally rebadged DeWalts and use the DeWalt batteries just fine). Even when they're roughly equivalent lines from the same source, like nu!Craftsman and Porter Cable...new batteries.

It used to be that some manufacturers are really out of line for battery pricing, but over the last few years it seems like pretty much everybody (except, weirdly, Ridgid?) has collapsed to about the same price points, aside from sales. You can expect to get 2x 4Ah or 5Ah batteries for about $150, sometimes with and sometimes without a charger but once you've got a charger or two I find the rest end up just in a box somewhere. Important to note that "aside from sales" is doing some work--Ryobi right now has 2x 4Ah batteries for $80 and I've bought 5Ah DeWalt batteries for $55 apiece at my local Ace Hardware on sale.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 4, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
They make battery adapters though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

AFashionableHat posted:

Obligatory stanposting for the Metabo HPT CJ10RS, which has a similar fence and is often a lot cheaper. I've used a friend's DW745 and it's really good too, but I'd go for whichever one you could find cheaper.

Can't find that exact model, I am seeing a C10RJS, which is $30 less than the dewalt.
Basically it seems like it comes down to do I want a foldy saw or a biggy saw. I think I'll measure the hole I think I can stick it in my grage and go from there.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

tater_salad posted:

In the market for a table saw.. I've owned the delta and enjoyed it but the reviews of "motor burned out and it was 300 to replace" is a little scary to me.

There is a guy on the Facebook delta saw group that sells kits for about $100 which include upgraded components of whichever ones typically burn out. The idea is you replace them proactively before anything happens and then the saw starts up faster/stronger and is more reliable because the components aren’t minimum quality trash.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Once you get to Ryobi/Kobalt/Metabo/PorterCable tier and above, its important to keep in mind that the gap between brushless and not brushless is larger than the gap between tiers.

E.g. I'd prefer brushless ryobi over brushed Milwaukee (or I'd at least consider them equal for hobbyist/homeowner purposes)

The point about how complete a line is, is a good one. I'm all in on Milwaukee brushless but if I had to start over I'd go with Makita because their line is more complete and the Milwaukee advantages over Makita are almost completely meaningless in my context.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And for what it’s worth, Makita is one of the last few self-owned brands out there. Provided that hasn’t changed since I last looked.

When buying corded tools, I’ve developed a strong preference for Makita. drat they’re solid.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Yeah I'm a homeowner/hobbyist, but I get pissed off at poo poo that breaks. Mind I've owned a Ryobi corded orbital palm sander for about a month now and I've been pretty happy with it so far. The main things I'm eyeing up are the cordless drill/driver (especially the driver, actually) combos and not so much saws, though a cordless sawzall might have some uses in my life. I just looked Ryobi up on Wikipedia and apparently they make the Milwaukee tools too - are the batteries cross-compatible or are they loving dicks.

I've had some Ryobi cordless stuff for over 10 years and it works fine, I was using one last night.

As AFashionableHat mentioned you can get good deals on the combo packs if you wait for sales. I got a new drill/impact driver kit, with charger and two tiny 1.5 ah batteries for something like $90, but then they gave me two 2 ah batteries for free. If you can wait I'm sure something similar will appear.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Bad Munki posted:

And for what it’s worth, Makita is one of the last few self-owned brands out there. Provided that hasn’t changed since I last looked.

When buying corded tools, I’ve developed a strong preference for Makita. drat they’re solid.

It hasn't. The self-owned cordless tool brands are basically: Makita, and Hilti.

One might also make the argument for Festool, but they are a subsidiary of Festo which makes industrial automation equipment so power tools aren't their sole business.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GEMorris posted:

Once you get to Ryobi/Kobalt/Metabo/PorterCable tier and above, its important to keep in mind that the gap between brushless and not brushless is larger than the gap between tiers.

E.g. I'd prefer brushless ryobi over brushed Milwaukee (or I'd at least consider them equal for hobbyist/homeowner purposes)

The point about how complete a line is, is a good one. I'm all in on Milwaukee brushless but if I had to start over I'd go with Makita because their line is more complete and the Milwaukee advantages over Makita are almost completely meaningless in my context.

What are the Milwaukee advantages over Makita

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

CommonShore posted:

Maybe you like red more than teal?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

CommonShore posted:

Different markets really, Milwaukee is more for the tradesman style work where Makita has focused more on the in shop style like metal/wood working.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My bosch 12v poo poo the bed and I could use a drill with a little more balls.

Recommended 14-18v drills?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
From my understanding Milwaukee's main advantage over makita is in battery tech. Makita was one of the first to the market with 18v Lithium Ion batteries and from what I've read their controllers are less sophisticated at managing heat and power usage. How much of a difference it makes is a pretty big unknown especially for my hobbyist use case. That MFT I posted a page back involved draining three 4.0ah milwaukee batteries in relatively constant use, in a brushless router, and nothing even got warm through the whole process.

It is REALLY hard to compare Milwaukee/Makita/DeWalt except at the very top end of their tool ranges as there is substantial differences between the bottom and top of those brands (especially DeWalt).

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 4, 2021

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Wasabi the J posted:

My bosch 12v poo poo the bed and I could use a drill with a little more balls.

Recommended 14-18v drills?

The best brushless combo kit on the best deal you can find made by Makita/Milwaukee/Dewalt.

If you don't have the budget for that then Brushless Ryobi.

Accessory tools are never cheaper than the big combo kits, so if you have the cash I'd go that direction (speaking from the pain of buying a drill driver kit and then all of the accessory tools individually)

I'd still bias toward Makita for a woodworker because Cordless Track Saw That Uses Festool Profile Rails

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 4, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Right now you have me waffling between Ryobi and Makita as a guy who does mostly at-home workshoppy stuff and hates megacorps. I'll keep an eye out for sales/deals on either I guess.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I mostly have Ryobi stuff and it's been fine for my at-home needs. Home Depot has sales around now that include a free tool or bundle a bunch together with a battery or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Toebone posted:

I mostly have Ryobi stuff and it's been fine for my at-home needs. Home Depot has sales around now that include a free tool or bundle a bunch together with a battery or two.

I don't disbelieve that the Ryobi stuff is good enough - the dilemma now is between getting the less expensive stuff from Home Depot or paying more to get a quality bump and support an independent manufacturer.