Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Really liking the Yukon maps and contracts that take multiple loads of goods to complete. Dislike that new super heavy trailer though cause it’s constantly stuck on the terrain. Taken to using the azov with a bed and the ramped trailer to make things easier. The super heavy trailer is jammed on the side of the road where I left it after removing the cargo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

My wife switched to PC from Xbox which means we can now use mods (I know it's coming to console as well, beside the point). Having not bothered looking into them before, are there any recommended mods that aren't just overpowered trucks or other things that make the game easier? Any QOL type stuff? I'm pretty sure at least some mods are multiplayer capable.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
There are some cool trucks but most are extremely overpowered garbage. There are a few good extra maps though with missions and everything

https://snowrunner.mod.io/ronniesonchak3
https://snowrunner.mod.io/gelik

https://snowrunner.mod.io/highrock-county
https://snowrunner.mod.io/canadian-runner-01-the-town

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Will this game help fill the Death Stranding-shaped hole in my heart for carrying dumb amounts of cargo across beautiful landscapes?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Pierson posted:

Will this game help fill the Death Stranding-shaped hole in my heart for carrying dumb amounts of cargo across beautiful landscapes?

Sort of, I found that both scratch a similar itch. Either way Snowrunner is a really good and fun game.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I enjoyed both, although I finally had enough of the story in Death Stranding and gave up. The terrain navigation mechanics I enjoyed in DS and they're sort of kind of similar in this but not really. Whether or not it's the same itch is gonna depend a lot on specifics. My suggestion would be to watch a let's play of it or something and see if it looks up your alley.

It is very fun and it ended up being one of my wife's favorite games and she usually only likes sneaky assassin games (Skyrim, Sniper Elite, Hitman) and Forza Horizon 4 for things that she'll play by herself. We do lots of co-op with this together as well and have a ton of fun cooperating and picking each other up when we tip over.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I highly enjoy the coop and if PC users are doin it and need a friend hit me up.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

On the mod note, is there a decent mod that increases heavy crane strength so that they're not completely useless for righting tipped trucks? I'm sick of trying to maneuver geometry to push a tipped truck back upright since the heavy crane can't even lift a scout truck.

Edit: I don't care if it's cheaty so long as it's not bugged and that it works in multiplayer if we both have it installed. I just want a heavy crane that can lift trucks at least a little bit to help right them rather than just be able to barely lift cargo.

ssb fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 18, 2020

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Pierson posted:

similar in that you start out not being able to carry too much, then you slowly pickup new equipment and learn the tricks of navigating the landscape. the challenges increase as you go along, so you start to understand what tool is best for each job. another similarity is the feeling of accomplishment after finally crossing the finish line of a long mission.''

the big difference is there's almost no narrative." michigan got flooded, have fun fixing it." it's a podcast game if you're one of those people

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

shortspecialbus posted:

On the mod note, is there a decent mod that increases heavy crane strength so that they're not completely useless for righting tipped trucks? I'm sick of trying to maneuver geometry to push a tipped truck back upright since the heavy crane can't even lift a scout truck.

Edit: I don't care if it's cheaty so long as it's not bugged and that it works in multiplayer if we both have it installed. I just want a heavy crane that can lift trucks at least a little bit to help right them rather than just be able to barely lift cargo.

It's based off your winch so use a heavier winch but i too would like that mod.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgnnrZfoZS0

Vibin to this whole album while playing. What do you guys listen to in game?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

A trucking playlist with a bazillion random songs that I found on Spotify and ported over to Tidal when I moved.

It's this thing: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0qIEtkMvy3zZHOUpRXue4A

Otherwise I listen to SiriusXM streaming stations.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
so i bought this game like 2 weeks ago and talked my buddy into getting it. is there anything that can be done to make coop work

i'm on PC i guess i should say

edit: the friends list doesn't work, i've forwarded the ports but i still get hit with messages telling me " checking permissions" and when i do join a session if i back out of it and try to rejoin or search for a game it starts telling me my NAT type is strict again and i have to relaunch the game to join.

TowerofOil fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 2, 2021

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

TowerofOil posted:

so i bought this game like 2 weeks ago and talked my buddy into getting it. is there anything that can be done to make coop work

edit: the friends list doesn't work, i've forwarded the ports but i still get hit with messages telling me " checking permissions" and when i do join a session if i back out of it and try to rejoin or search for a game it starts telling me my NAT type is strict again and i have to relaunch the game to join.

I'm on PS4, so I can't help too much. Have you tried the official Focus forums? The technical issues subforum (yes, an entire subforum for poo poo that don't work) is good for common problems.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

biggest help for me getting started was selling the starting trucks ASAP and getting the Paystar. The Paystar is a great starter truck that handles the michigan mud much better than those other 2 trucks. From there, just do jobs to get comfortable with the game and mechanics. Alaska is pretty tough without mud tires, russia too, but both of their starter maps have trucks that u can find and get for free which helps a ton in the early game. Dont be afraid to enable coop either. Its fun havin strangers tow u outta the mud

Sorry to quote such an old post but THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! The Paystar is some sort of amazing magical never get stuck truck between the AWD and locking differential (and the all terrain tires I was able to add). I can finally get to and from the warehouse with cargo! The game feels like it just busted wide open.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Have they fixed the bug with the last couple of missions in the new maps yet? The cabins weren’t registering last time I tried and I vowed not to play again until it was fixed lol

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar

madeintaipei posted:

I'm on PS4, so I can't help too much. Have you tried the official Focus forums? The technical issues subforum (yes, an entire subforum for poo poo that don't work) is good for common problems.

so it seems the problems with coop have been known since like mid December and they're working on it. as far as I can tell there is no fix or work around

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Any mods that stand out as must-have since the game has been out for a bit? I'm mostly seeing vehicles which may or may not be cheaty or half-baked and it's hard to figure out what's good.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

TowerofOil posted:

Stupid question but you're not behind the same router as your friend, are you? Like on a VPN or in the same house/shared network together? The game doesn't work co-op on the same network. When my wife and I play on PC, one of us has to hop on a VPN and then co-op works. Beyond that, we didn't have to forward any ports on either xbox or PC. We do invite from the friends list, be it Epic or Xbox depending which platform we're using.

McCracAttack posted:

Sorry to quote such an old post but THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! The Paystar is some sort of amazing magical never get stuck truck between the AWD and locking differential (and the all terrain tires I was able to add). I can finally get to and from the warehouse with cargo! The game feels like it just busted wide open.

The paystar is an early game savior in the USA with its primary flaw being it's rather tippy. The early-game Russian trucks and the later-game US trucks outclass it pretty significantly, but it's ultra useful early in the game either way.

namlosh posted:

Have they fixed the bug with the last couple of missions in the new maps yet? The cabins weren’t registering last time I tried and I vowed not to play again until it was fixed lol

My wife and I haven't been running into them on PC.

skooma512 posted:

Any mods that stand out as must-have since the game has been out for a bit? I'm mostly seeing vehicles which may or may not be cheaty or half-baked and it's hard to figure out what's good.

We're just starting with mods and are using the following:

- A trailer pack of some sort, it's high rated. Not the all-terrain one. It just adds some variety in trailers.

- the Ford F150 Raptor. It's pretty overpowered, but it's fun to drive, can haul normal and scout trailers, and has tons of customization. It's very OP so I would avoid it, or at least avoid abusing it, unless you've already played through the campaign at least once and understand that it's overpowered.

- the ix 8800 tow truck thingy. We only use this to do vehicle recovery because the stock heavy cranes are too lovely to do anything useful, this one is a bit better. That said, this is also comically overpowered if you let it be, so it's ripe for abuse. We just have it with pretty normal gear except for a strong crane to help with vehicle recovery and it works fine for us in that role.

We haven't tried any of the mod maps or anything, and most other vehicles look like they're just overpowered in general without the limited-use of vehicle recovery or a goofy fast scout truck.

I don't know if I'd call any of thse "must-have" except maybe the trailer pack solely for variety.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Are most of you guys playing this with a controller or a wheel?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

fadam posted:

Mouse and Keyboard.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

fadam posted:

Controller, I'm not digging out the wheel and setting it up when there's no TrackIR support lol.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's kind of built in to control more like an RC car with an Xbox controller than a real truck. Wheel support in the series has always been wonky, how fast the wheels turn is like a hidden truck stat. I don't think there's any good force feedback integration to match your wheel deflection to the game limited turn rate so you're forever hunting custom wheel settings to make it feel like you're driving a truck and not playing Super Off-road.

But it's really good feeling on a controller out of the box, as a direct converse to ATS/ETS where the wheels work directly out of the box and the controllers take a lot of tweak to feel right.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Cool, ty.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Controller. Using the right stick as a pretend gear shifter is fun.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

This might be a daft question but is anyone else having issues with a stat of 6/8 vehicles discovered in Michigan despite completing the necessary "fix 'em up, bring em back" missions and finding the ones out in the wild? Checked MapRunner, YouTube etc and feeling a little peeved as I wanted to tick that off before I start tackling Taymyr.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005

gregbest90 posted:

This might be a daft question but is anyone else having issues with a stat of 6/8 vehicles discovered in Michigan despite completing the necessary "fix 'em up, bring em back" missions and finding the ones out in the wild? Checked MapRunner, YouTube etc and feeling a little peeved as I wanted to tick that off before I start tackling Taymyr.

This used to be a bug way back when the game was new. I had 7/8 vehicles despite finding them all, for me this was fixed in one of the first (the first?) patches.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Arvid posted:

This used to be a bug way back when the game was new. I had 7/8 vehicles despite finding them all, for me this was fixed in one of the first (the first?) patches.

Cheers bud, might have take the L for now I guess. I've also seen talk of the stat being possibly fixable via co-op, but will just crack on and do a bit of Russia in the meantime.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Found the Royal BM and decided that's how you refer to the queen taking a poo poo.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

moller posted:

Found the Royal BM and decided that's how you refer to the queen taking a poo poo.

The Royal felt like the next step for me after the Paystar. No locking differential but it doesn't seem to need it. It just pours power on. It goes where the Paystar struggles and hauls what the Paystar can't. Also the low range gears seem kinda useless since it turns off AWD. Maybe that's how all low ranger gears worked and I've just now noticed it.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

McCracAttack posted:

The Royal felt like the next step for me after the Paystar. No locking differential but it doesn't seem to need it. It just pours power on. It goes where the Paystar struggles and hauls what the Paystar can't. Also the low range gears seem kinda useless since it turns off AWD. Maybe that's how all low ranger gears worked and I've just now noticed it.

I was getting agitated with the Royal constantly tipping in Russia then I sold it, but in hindsight, the Paystar was pretty tippy at first for me too. Conclusion = it was my crap driving all along... :shrug:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The royal is a kick-rear end truck but if you so much as graze an obstacle while going at more than crawl speed (and even then it's risky) there goes half your suspension health. Too nerve wracking for me..

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, it can be too fast for it’s own good sometimes. Going downhill at full throttle feels like bouncing a tennis ball down a flight of stairs. drat thing spends most of its time in the air.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
What's everyone's choice for a saddle low trailer puller? Specifically the flat/sideboard bed 5 spot trailers. I'm slowly working my way through the Yukon and I'm trying to find one that can handle the mud and carry a reasonable amount of speed. I tried the "Bandit" because it has big ole mud tires but it's sooo slow and has a gas tank the size of a thimble. It seems like there isn't a super torquey off-road class vehicle in game.

(Don't say just use the twin steer. I have been. I'm looking to change it up)

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Steak posted:

What's everyone's choice for a saddle low trailer puller? Specifically the flat/sideboard bed 5 spot trailers. I'm slowly working my way through the Yukon and I'm trying to find one that can handle the mud and carry a reasonable amount of speed. I tried the "Bandit" because it has big ole mud tires but it's sooo slow and has a gas tank the size of a thimble. It seems like there isn't a super torquey off-road class vehicle in game.

Tayga with dual rear tires and a small crane. A short tractor with a narrow front end and wide, stable rear. I like to use the flat bed trailer, as it weighs slightly less and is a bit lower. You can jack-knife the truck so close to the trailer that the small crane can reach the last slot of the trailer.

The Fleetstar, while short and powerful, has weird interactions with low saddle trailers. The fifth wheel is too far forward so the front end gets levered off the ground over rough terrain. Also not great in mud. Any amusing choice with crane, cab protector, side board bed, and the ramped 4 slot trailer.

The Smithville Dam Western Star with a crane is a good choice. Not too bad on fuel for it's weight.
It is wide and low in any configuration, the weight down low helps stability quite a bit.

The GMC 9500 with raised suspension and AWD is a powerhouse. Large tires early on make for a most capable semi-tractor if you can stomach bee-lining for the AWD upgrade.

I like pretty much any 6x6 with dual rear wheels, low saddle, and crane. The added weight of the crane makes the front end stay down and is always useful.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

What's the point of the extra high gear some transmissions offer? Every time I switch in to it at my max speed I start slowing down.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

McCracAttack posted:

What's the point of the extra high gear some transmissions offer? Every time I switch in to it at my max speed I start slowing down.

Yeah, it’s weird and I don’t know why they made it the way they did but here’s my take:
H is meant to be a single high gear as matched to the power band of the engine as possible. Personally I think they added it because they couldn’t figure out how to properly code an automatic transmission that wasn’t super annoying. Annoying by switching gears constantly back and forth depending on the terrain/speed and making the truck pause to switch gears at exactly the wrong time.
The top gear of the automatic transmission is a higher gear ratio so you can get a higher top speed using “A”, but again: the truck will end up switching gears as soon as you reach a hill or something and mess with you.
It’s more noticeable on some trucks more than others. But suffice to say, if I don’t expect to be bogged down in mud all the time with the truck, ill try to use H as much as possible. I’ll slap the highway transmission on it, start off and as soon as I can switch to it without stalling, I will. Then I use throttle to control speed. Makes things much more predictable in my experience.

Hope that answers your question. It’s something I wanted to share because it made the game much more enjoyable when I learned the above. Its still kind of dumb though, and breaks immersion or whatever if you’re into that. It’s magic!

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Steak posted:

ZIKZ is underrated and has a new engine too I think

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug

madeintaipei posted:

Tayga with dual rear tires and a small crane. A short tractor with a narrow front end and wide, stable rear. I like to use the flat bed trailer, as it weighs slightly less and is a bit lower. You can jack-knife the truck so close to the trailer that the small crane can reach the last slot of the trailer.

The Fleetstar, while short and powerful, has weird interactions with low saddle trailers. The fifth wheel is too far forward so the front end gets levered off the ground over rough terrain. Also not great in mud. Any amusing choice with crane, cab protector, side board bed, and the ramped 4 slot trailer.

The Smithville Dam Western Star with a crane is a good choice. Not too bad on fuel for it's weight.
It is wide and low in any configuration, the weight down low helps stability quite a bit.

The GMC 9500 with raised suspension and AWD is a powerhouse. Large tires early on make for a most capable semi-tractor if you can stomach bee-lining for the AWD upgrade.

I like pretty much any 6x6 with dual rear wheels, low saddle, and crane. The added weight of the crane makes the front end stay down and is always useful.

I forgot about the Tayga. It was my go-to for all of Russia. Like, it made Russia too easy IMO. For that reason I didn't use it in Imandra (big mistake) and have since forgotten about it. Same with the Azov.

I loved the Fleetstar. It got me through most of Michigan until I figured how how good the Western Star 4660 actually is. I tried using the WWS for trailer pulling in the Yukon but it just doesn't have the power to pull itself through the Yukon mud quickly. It's another slow one. So I relegated it to a "small hauler". A lot of these 6x6 trucks start to struggle once you hitch a trailer.

GMC is great, agreed. It's my recovery vehicle. It can pull anything out of anywhere it seems.

bobbilljim posted:

ZIKZ is underrated and has a new engine too I think

Hell yeah. With the new engine it has a power::weight of S+, I believe. The Zika was surprisingly fun to use for trailer cleanup in Michigan and Alaska. It is bit bouncy though. I've tipped it too many times because I was driving too fast and bounced off of something stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chird
Sep 26, 2004

I bought this at Christmas, finished Michigan and started Alaska but running out of steam coz things seem a bit easy. Considering whether to push through to the later maps or restart with 'hardcore mode', which I believe is an option on the test version of the game:

https://www.reddit.com/r/snowrunner/comments/kuvz2e/opinion_on_hardcore_mode_yes_it_is_a_thing_in_the/ posted:

So yesterday I've tried Hardcore Mode. For those who yet doesn't know, it is hidden feature of PC version as it is for now. In this mode, recovery cost money, autoloading cargo cost money, garage doesn't refuel and doesn't do repairs. Trailers cannot be sold, so no free of charge repairs and refuels near trailer shops. Teleporting trucks via garage cost money. Also selling trucks and addons / part give you back 50% of cost.

And now I can tell, game feels waaay better and less "gamey". Disclaimer: even before, I never used recovery function anyways - so I was already playing a bit of "hardcore mode" myself. Now trailers located on map are not free money, but quite valuable assets that can save your money and time. The only change I didn't like is limitation on time challenges attempts - now you have only 3 tries... But I almost never did time trials anyway. Also, 50% selling price is limiting trying of new trucks (it's a minus), but now you have to think through your equipment and fleet composition instead of slapping every addon on every truck (it's a huge plus) Your opinions, gentlemen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyKrOW7NqC0

I'll probably just keep going for now because presumably this mode has some balancing issues to sort out.

chird fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 26, 2021