Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Julio Cruz posted:

why not, and hear me out on this, build both? particularly as offshore turbines are a hell of a lot more difficult to engineer than onshore ones

maybe if we get plenty of both then we won't even need those gas plants you mention
Don't get me wrong - I am all for building both.

You will still need something like gas though - there is very little else that is quite as agile and can be turned on/off with such ease when you need to ramp up supply during peak periods. Obviously wind turbines can be turned off (as they are in e.g. high winds), but to have enough wind power to serve your highest peak demand means you have a surplus of them that only get turned on for 10% of the year when peak needs demand. This is ridiculously wasteful (wind turbines are still pretty expensive), whereas having a store of gas and a handful of simple gas plants (enough of which probably already exist) that burn a little gas during the winter months is probably not a bad compromise.

EDIT: When I was 29, I had to take a poo poo in a train station flower bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Boris' bullshit bingo card:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the Victorians really hated those railways spoiling their countryside vistas too

by implication, in a few decades there would be people protesting to keep outdated, crumbling wind turbine farms that are too expensive to maintain, because they're pretty, they're a monument to early achievements in technological innovation, and most importantly they're what folks grew up with

ronya fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 4, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ewan posted:

EDIT: When I was 29, I had to take a poo poo in a train station flower bed.

A New Loafer, like the prophecies said!

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think theres places where wind turbines look great and probably places where the landscape looked better without them.

The tesco in york used to have twizzly ones in the car park which seems like a nice idea. But theyre not there anymore so I guess they didnt work.

I had a long conversation a while ago with my brother about the economics of English villages having their own wind turbine each like they used to have an old windmill. Whether it could work to let people see where their power is coming from and feel a little ownership over 'their' turbine, whether that would help to combat nimbyism.

Might want to get out in the countryside (once you are allowed to). There are loving tons of wind turbines everywhere now in our part of the Pennines, about a third of the other farms around us have them for their own needs, usually 2.5kW 'small' ones but lately most people have been installing bigger versions, think due to planning was relaxed. There are even farmer owned wind farms that if you can afford the initial outlay and get planning permission generates an absurd amount of money given the lack of work needed; remember seeing a field for sale with 2 medium size ones in that had 15+ year contracts that make currently £15K a year profit each.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Soylent Yellow posted:

I've lived in several parts of Wales (all rural), and the attitudes towards wind turbines vary quite a bit depending on the area. On Anglesey, wind turbines were the devil's work, and the locals campaigned aggressively against them. I used to pass through parts of mid wales where the locals were campaigning almost as hard for wind turbines. Several individual turbines and solar farms have gone up locally, without anybody raising an eyebrow. There are some older or small-scale hydroelectric plants here and there, but any new large-scale welsh hydro developments are unlikely cofiwch dryweryn.

I love the ones on the North Coast just across the border around Rhyl/Conwy area. Every time I pass them I think about War of the Worlds and make soft hooting noises to myself while pretending they're Martian walkers coming in to confront Thunder Child. Generally to the distress of the other people on the bus.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Boris' bullshit bingo card:

Isn't it supposed to be 5x5 so you can do a diagonal?

E; any Glasgoons gonna turn up to welcome the Big 'Un?
https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1346174588942766081?s=19

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

This immediately got me thinking of a song by Everything Everything called "No Reptiles" which has the line "No reptiles, just soft-boiled eggs in shirts and ties".... so I looked up what the lyrics mean, and it turns out it's basically exactly what you're talking about : It's actually kind of nice to think that there are reptiles controlling everything but in reality it's just these wobbly soft-boiled egg people.

I think the more general theme of the song is something lots in this thread will connect with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2RR8kEv-Y8

Oh hey, Everything Everything have a new album!

(2015 you say? Uhhhhhh.....)

I should find their pretentiousness incredibly annoying, but there's such a great frantic energy to all their stuff. Like, the lyrics to Undrowned are extremely "lol, society amirite? :jerkoff:" but the song feels like a drunken panic attack, so its not like all this cynicism is meant to make you happy.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

darkwasthenight posted:

I love the ones on the North Coast just across the border around Rhyl/Conwy area. Every time I pass them I think about War of the Worlds and make soft hooting noises to myself while pretending they're Martian walkers coming in to confront Thunder Child. Generally to the distress of the other people on the bus.

Lol

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Ewan posted:

The best type of power plant is a giant array of solar panels in space that then transmit the energy down to earth via a highly-concentrated microwave energy beam aimed at a receiver.

The technology exists for both transmitter and receiver but unfortunately brendan o neil only has 1 forehead.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Failed Imagineer posted:

:hmmyes:

Not to mention, I find giant windfarms beautiful, both on an aesthetic and human level. They're one of the few kinds of large-scale building projects that doesn't stoke the species-shame I feel constantly

We've got a few on shore ones on the isle of Sheppey (and a large off-shore farm that's just visible on clear days), and I like them. You just don't realise how big they are until you notice the little service door on the top.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jiggerypokery posted:

The technology exists for both transmitter and receiver but unfortunately brendan o neil only has 1 forehead.

Big if True

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Isn't it supposed to be 5x5 so you can do a diagonal?

E; any Glasgoons gonna turn up to welcome the Big 'Un?
https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1346174588942766081?s=19
He's escaping to Moscow?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I like how BBC will be following up with "reactions" rather than y'know "analysis and expert commentary".

I know it's a minor complaint, but it feels like it epitomises where news has gone off the rails.

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020
Is the compression algorithm from No. 10 bad, or is he huffing hexafluoride?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Hollow out more mountains for pumped hydro storage, I say.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I like how BBC will be following up with "reactions" rather than y'know "analysis and expert commentary".

VIDEO: doctors REACT to Prime Minister's Address elsa spiderman peppa pig

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020
It's interesting that the Nando's alert level is "expected" to be increased even though we're already entering a lockdown. It was supposed to be the other way round...

Also, Margaret Ferrier got arrested today .

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Press conference actually started on time, I missed the start!

Feels like the sign language guy is mugging him off.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Our measures would have worked if not for the new strain, honest.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

"Every day at school is so important that it's definitely a good thing that they were open today."

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm so glad all the kids, having had an opportunity to pick up covid from family at Christmas, got an opportunity today to mix with other kids at school whose families avoided it at Christmas

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Alas no, you'd need an extremely complex mirror (that could change shape constantly) to do that.

Now, with most of them, they *do* have steerable mirrors on the ground so you could theoretically use them to destroy aircraft (or at least make the pilots extremely hot and probably blind) but you're not really able to use it like a wizard's tower to wipe out the competing power plants.

Hmm, but if you had a flying parabolic mirror...

So, Archimedes' mirror, but on a satellite, you say?

Now, have to be careful. You don't want to set the world on fire.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
"but for now... I'm afraid"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
lol they just had a PUBG question on Only Connect

have a guess if either of the teams got the answer

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Convex posted:

"but for now... I'm afraid"

Yeah thought that was pretty regrettable wording. Overall probably the right message, just a shame it took the best part of a hundred thousand corpses and a Made In Britain mutant to get there

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Did I miss it or did he set an expected timescale or review date for the lockdown? I know schools are shut til mid Feb (until February half term) but otherwise haven't heard/seen any dates.

New rules are up already:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home?priority-taxon=774cee22-d896-44c1-a611-e3109cce8eae

Looks like I made a good choice cancelling my trip to London to view flats tomorrow... (EDIT: although actually hidden away the exception still remains).

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
We have many wind and solar farms in Cornwall and I am strongly in favour of putting them everywhere possible in our current circumstances.

All the same, they absolutely do spoil the views a bit. To the people who think wind farms are beautiful, that's nice for you, but so is the Taj Mahal and yet I don't want to see the Taj Mahal everywhere.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

lol they just had a PUBG question on Only Connect

have a guess if either of the teams got the answer

Oi spoilers I just started watching it on catch-up

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Oh dear me posted:

We have many wind and solar farms in Cornwall and I am strongly in favour of putting them everywhere possible in our current circumstances.

All the same, they absolutely do spoil the views a bit. To the people who think wind farms are beautiful, that's nice for you, but so is the Taj Mahal and yet I don't want to see the Taj Mahal everywhere.

If the Taj Mahal made electricity, though...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Well I'm glad Kier Starmer agrees comprehensively with everything Boris just said, certainly provides some valuable perspective

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

is this in response to Boris or the anti-wind power guy

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Julio Cruz posted:

is this in response to Boris or the anti-wind power guy

boris only cause i haven’t read those wind posts

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If people travelled to India to see the Taj Mahal and just found one giant wind turbine there instead they'd probably be massively pissed.

What I'm saying is, goon project?

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

OwlFancier posted:

Amazing that you cannot buy off horrible rural villagers with anything other than racism and flags.

Well its worked well in the south east and alot of east anglia.

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020
Radio Scotland's appalling Call Kaye was good for wind turbines/powerlines.

"I mean it's just appalling, these pylons and turbines destroy the landscape"
"And how long have you felt this way, incredibly Home Counties caller"
"Well since we bought the cottage here 5 years ago"

None of these fuckwits could work out the connection between them moving increasing demand and needing pylons rather than poles to go up, or considered that the locals might prefer electrical connections that didn't have to dig up the only loving road in every time they needed maintenance.

e: catching up on tidallagoonchat, it is a total grift. Private Eye podcast did a bit on it 2 years ago and it's been in the print mag fairly regularly for the past 4 years. https://www.private-eye.co.uk/eyeplayer/play-343

Nutapii fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 4, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sanford posted:

My friend got a full firearms response in his garden today because someone called the police to say they’d seen a “strange man wielding a pick axe leaving [neighbours] house.” The police saw my friend was digging a hole and immediately stood down but asked him about the wielding (“how can I use a pickaxe without wielding it?”) and going round to the neighbours (“yes I went to borrow his pickaxe”). Conversations this afternoon prove the caller meant well and was just worried because they didn’t think the neighbour would loan tools “to someone like that” so assumed theft or worse. My friend is, of course, the only black man in the village.

If he wasn't wielding it then he would be concealing it, which is also an offence, and extremely impressive.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

The Question IRL posted:

Irish people's fear around Nuclear Power has always been that the UK would build more power plants and that Lord Brexit's plan for radioactive waste water was to put it in power hoses and aim them straight at the East Coast of Ireland.

Not unreasonable considering the UK's plan for coal power stations was to put them mainly on the east coast so all the smoke can blow over to Norway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Woo i'll be getting my training for volunteer vaccinating soon

Can't wait to stab people with abandon