Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used to be Facebook friends with Solomon from Gummo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Empty Sandwich posted:

:slick:

there's no way in hell this is true, but I like it

If you believe the breakdown it goes jism (spirit, spunk), jazm (vigor, energy) to jazz.

There's also stories about The Original Dixieland Jass Band getting pissed off at people loving with their name. gently caress if i know it's true, i just played the bass in a band for a short while and those were the stories told.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Star Wars tech is just weird in general. How can Luke understand R2?

You just have to learn the language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibahqzkwvXk

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Veib posted:

That's Al Leong and he owns

At some point years ago he would just accept all friend requests on Facebook so a friend of mine is to this day Facebook friends with Al Leong

That rules.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Empty Sandwich posted:

full-circle, I guess... Coke made some full-size remote-controlled not-R2s in the 80s:

somewhere, there is a picture of my grandfather with one of these things

Someone tell Oda about this, needs to be in One Piece as the soda-powered cyborg's sidekick.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I used to be friends with Solomon Grundy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I used to be friends with Solomon Grundy.

Shame that friendship only lasted five days, max.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Solomon is a solid guy, but he flakes sometimes when we've decided to hang out

LadyThorne
Dec 12, 2005
The lazy

scary ghost dog posted:

he probably asked if someone could get him some coke

This is how ive always taken the scene, great visual joke.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

James Woods posted:

I was rewatching Die Hard again yesterday and remembered a detail that I missed for years. Throughout the film several characters are seen humming or singing to themselves. Whenever a hero is doing this the tune is Bing Crosby and when it's a villain its Beethoven. This theme carries over into the non diagetic music as well in key climactic scenes. When the terrorists finally break into the vault Ode to Joy i's played and in the finale Let it Snow carries the film out.

This is a great half hour video about the use of music in Die Hard. Well worth a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7SKt6cfH44

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

rydiafan posted:

You can tell this, because each of the characters remembers the sequence of banging slightly differently.

There's a great gag in the Rashomon episode of Farscape - the flashbacks concerns an argument in their adolescent gunship that ends up with the destruction of a vessel belonging to a race called the Plakavians.

In the first flashback, narrated by Aeryn, Crichton gets the name wrong - he calls them Plakavoids, and gets corrected.

Four flashbacks later, we see things from Crichton's perspective, and the entire crew is calling them Plakavoids.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I was cursed by a witch to be unable to see reference to the scifi series Farscape without acknowledging it is a loving amazing show.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It takes a bit to get rolling and it has some crap episodes, but overall it's loving amazing.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Even if you find season one rough, early in season two you hit the double-whammy of Crackers Don't Matter back-to-back with The Way We Weren't. After that, I don't know who could say no.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Farscape is for people that saw star trek voyager and thought "this is okay, but it would be a lot better if half the cast were muppets"

Geniuses with excellent taste, in other words

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think I can trust the opinion of someone who thinks Voyager was OK. I'd give it at most a "Not always complete garbage."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I never saw Die Hard in theaters so it was a cropped 4:3 version for the next 20+ years. In the formatted for TV version you can't see Al Leong hiding behind a column ready to kill Sgt. Al Powell as he's checking out the lobby. Kind of changes the tension in the scene.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

rydiafan posted:

Even if you find season one rough, early in season two you hit the double-whammy of Crackers Don't Matter back-to-back with The Way We Weren't. After that, I don't know who could say no.

I made the mistake of trying to introduce my mate to Farscape with Crackers Don't Matter. It's a fun episode, but its far too zany and weird to really give someone a feel for what the show is like. In fact there are very few episodes that I'd say make a good introduction to the show - the best ones are either the big multipart ones, or have complicated callbacks to earlier episodes. The Look at the Princess trilogy is about as close as I can get, and that needs you to know about Scorpius and the Aurora chair, or to be really good at following flashbacks.

Through the Looking Glass is probably the best episode that has nothing else to do with the rest of the series. And not that weird to drop people into - weird aliens, the ship is pregnant, go, but I think part of the ending revolves around Aeryn having Pilot DNA.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It's good

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Somewhat related, I've been doing a watch through of TNG with my wife. It's her first time through and we found that for the rough first two seasons it's way more fun to treat the show as an office sitcom than a serious business sci-fi show. There's a lot of subtle humor with comedy beats and pauses where a laugh track would not be out of place.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
"Exodus from Genesis" (ship invaded by clones/space cockroaches) was the first solid episode that I saw, and being an early episode it's fairly self-contained in terms of what you need to know of the backstory, while also setting up a lot of who these characters are and how they relate to each other.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

CzarChasm posted:

Somewhat related, I've been doing a watch through of TNG with my wife. It's her first time through and we found that for the rough first two seasons it's way more fun to treat the show as an office sitcom than a serious business sci-fi show. There's a lot of subtle humor with comedy beats and pauses where a laugh track would not be out of place.

There's so much more little character stuff in TNG than I remembered, all kinds of little asides and jokes between Picard and Riker... It's delightful. I really liked an ongoing joke between those two about how deep in poo poo they were in one particular episode.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

rotinaj posted:

There's so much more little character stuff in TNG than I remembered, all kinds of little asides and jokes between Picard and Riker... It's delightful. I really liked an ongoing joke between those two about how deep in poo poo they were in one particular episode.

That's absolutely one of my favorites too. Another good source on the show is any time Troi's mom comes up. You just get to see all the main cast clench up in anticipation of another visit from Horny Grandma.

Another thing I like when rewatching is they will make subtle references to things that we actually either got to see happen in prior episodes or things that will come up in later episodes. Like in one episode an evil robot is jettisoned out an airlock. A few episodes later there's a ship full of fat morons called Pakleds who cause trouble for the crew. Fast forward a season or two and the evil robot comes back, mentions that he was floating adrift in space, when he was rescued by a ship full of Pakleds. The fact that he's weaning their clothes, and has to wrap them around himself reminds you of that prior adventure. In my head canon it's the same ship and he murders them all, but hey, whatever.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
I introduced my GF to TNG last week and she's absolutely loving it. She's never seen anything Trek related so I explained the backstory of TOS and just let her dive right in. Our last episode was one of my favorites, Data Lore and now she's hooked. Spiner is unsurprisingly her favorite actor on the show so she loved Lore. She also gets a big kick out of Vwaxana and was happy to hear that they're both recurring characters. I think after season one I may show her a few classic TOS episodes then show her Galaxy Quest before going on to season 2. Her favourite thing about the show is all the diplomacy and dialog as opposed to pew pew space fights. Her least favorite thing is the techno babble (she's a software engineer but ESL) but I told her after a couple seasons she'll know what it means to re route power from the shields to the forward deflector array.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

James Woods posted:

Her least favorite thing is the techno babble (she's a software engineer but ESL) but I told her after a couple seasons she'll know what it means to re route power from the shields to the forward deflector array.

Incidentally, if you ever get a hankering to read some Napoleonic War naval fiction, this exact phenomenon happens after a few of the Aubrey-Maturin books. They're as rich with (period-correct) technobabble as any Trek, albeit concerning ropes and sails and intricately arranged hunks of wood. Through a combination of raw exposure, and the fact that one of the main characters is a hopeless lubber who regularly has the finer points of sailing re-explained to him, you do begin to understand the gist of what's going on with the rigging at any given time.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've been watching Re-Animator a lot lately and nobody would call that movie subtle, but there are a lot of hilarious little performance touches because the actors are all amazing. Like, at the start when West is just blasting right into Dr Hill on first meeting him, Dan and Dr Halsey just kind of awkwardly exchange 'oh god this is really happening' glances. Or in the class scene where West snaps his pencil, and then pulls out a second pencil, Dan seated just behind him reacts with visible uncomfortable exasperation.

I heard a podcast say Bruce Abbott can't act and he's loving great in that movie. It's just hard to shine when Jeffrey Combs just danced off with your scene in his pocket.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Phy posted:

Incidentally, if you ever get a hankering to read some Napoleonic War naval fiction, this exact phenomenon happens after a few of the Aubrey-Maturin books. They're as rich with (period-correct) technobabble as any Trek, albeit concerning ropes and sails and intricately arranged hunks of wood. Through a combination of raw exposure, and the fact that one of the main characters is a hopeless lubber who regularly has the finer points of sailing re-explained to him, you do begin to understand the gist of what's going on with the rigging at any given time.

When my father got me into the series he also hane me a book called "A Sea of Words" that has an appendix of old timey naval terminology that was really helpful. That said I'd probably still be more useful working in a Jefferies tube than rigging a spinnaker.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

HopperUK posted:

I've been watching Re-Animator a lot lately and nobody would call that movie subtle, but there are a lot of hilarious little performance touches because the actors are all amazing. Like, at the start when West is just blasting right into Dr Hill on first meeting him, Dan and Dr Halsey just kind of awkwardly exchange 'oh god this is really happening' glances. Or in the class scene where West snaps his pencil, and then pulls out a second pencil, Dan seated just behind him reacts with visible uncomfortable exasperation.

I heard a podcast say Bruce Abbott can't act and he's loving great in that movie. It's just hard to shine when Jeffrey Combs just danced off with your scene in his pocket.

He's a fine actor, but he's stuck in the "hapless foil" archetype in that movie.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

James Woods posted:

I always just assumed that was product placement or if anything to imply that Ellis is the kind of guy who would begin the negotiation by saying something like "Hans buddy can you have one of your guys get ne something to drink I parched. " One thing the movie is not subtle about is his coke use.

An irrelevant question concerning Ellis the coke fiend from the last time I watched it: was Takagi just turning a blind eye, or was he not aware of it? He walks in right after Ellis does a line and seems like he didn't notice, but I have to think at a place where Holly can't even use her married name because of the perception, they wouldn't be all that tolerant of hardcore drug usage, "coke fueled 80s" or not, and Ellis is the type that is probably hitting it like five times a day at least and not even trying that hard to hide it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sand Monster posted:

An irrelevant question concerning Ellis the coke fiend from the last time I watched it: was Takagi just turning a blind eye, or was he not aware of it? He walks in right after Ellis does a line and seems like he didn't notice, but I have to think at a place where Holly can't even use her married name because of the perception, they wouldn't be all that tolerant of hardcore drug usage, "coke fueled 80s" or not, and Ellis is the type that is probably hitting it like five times a day at least and not even trying that hard to hide it.

Weird, I thought Takagi was visibly annoyed at Ellis obviously snorting. I'll have to rewatch it. As for knowing beforehand, in general, no idea. Ellis might've actually been some crazy good employee, which would justify his ego during the negotiation literally every scene. Maybe Takagi looks the other way, but was annoyed this was happening in front of an outsider.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Was it subtle that Ellis, a coke-head, was served literal Coca-Cola when he was with Hans' crew? I just mean 'am I late to this party, or is that something everyone's noticed by now?'

I only saw the movie for maybe the 4th time last week, after having not seen it in close to 10 years.

It's a joke. He asked for some coke. Plus product placement.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Weird, I thought Takagi was visibly annoyed at Ellis obviously snorting. I'll have to rewatch it. As for knowing beforehand, in general, no idea. Ellis might've actually been some crazy good employee, which would justify his ego during the negotiation literally every scene. Maybe Takagi looks the other way, but was annoyed this was happening in front of an outsider.

This is correct, I don’t need a rewatch to remember his moué of disgust.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Not just an outsider, a cop.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

80s business was all about not making a big deal out of hardcore drug use so long as your get results but a woman but be perfect in all ways just to get an ounce of respect.

Thankfully that isn't the case 40 years on :smith:

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Torquemada posted:

This is correct, I don’t need a rewatch to remember his moué of disgust.

Ok, I must have missed it then. I definitely recall McClaine's reaction but I remembered it as Takagi just sort of ignoring it.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
It was a Christmas party and after hours

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The idea seems to be that Ellis is actually very very successful, otherwise he wouldn't be there. In the 80's people could definitely get away with doing coke if they were good at their jobs.

The uber confident routine he does with Hans probably works extremely well in regular business dealings, it's just that he's now face to face with someone that has no interest in making a deal and has already made the decision to kill him. Ellis is one of those guys that thinks his talent at sales will open any door and get him out of any jam, regardless of circumstances.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I think what turns a lot of people off Farscape, myself included, is the weird BDSM grandpa as the villain.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

I think what turns a lot of people off Farscape, myself included, is the weird BDSM grandpa as the villain.

I assumed that was one of the reasons people like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
Takagi goes out of his way in that scene to mention that McClain is a police officer. He definitely noticed.