Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
IMO, what differentiates cyberpsychosis from regular psychosis (which also isn't a defined thing) is the presence of mods that make people more dangerous. A regular person going on a stabbing spree is just...a stabbing spree, a cyberpsycho stabbing spree is someone who has knives coming out of their arms and runs at 60mph. That's all. The fact that one of the drugs named as a treatment but not cure for cyberpsychosis is baloperidol, which is clearly a relative of the modern antipsychotic haloperidol, makes that relatively clear to me. Also, basically none of the cyberpsychos you meet seemed like they were abnormal in terms of response, just in their means to cause destruction.

Though I imagine all of the mods that affect hormones and neural pathways probably don't help. Having chrome legs probably doesn't make you more likely to snap. Constantly calculating how best to kill everyone you see because you have some kind of targeting computer and a whole ton of chems ready to flood your system as soon as you get above a certain response probably doesn't help with societal integration though.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

itry posted:

If you're on PC and want that thing you get from that conversation in the oil fields - I added a solution at the top of the mods section of the OP (also there's a mod section I update from time to time).

What's the thing?

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Whorelord posted:

What's the thing?

Unlocking the secret ending.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

mod to let skills keep leveling past attribute caps please

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

cams posted:

mod to let skills keep leveling past attribute caps please

Sounds like cheating with extra steps, just add a bunch of perk points for free

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

Not if you capped the benefits while letting you still accrue experience for the skill.

So, say I leveled Blades to 7 but my Reflex was 5, under the proposed new system. My effective Blades skill would still be 5, because the Reflex of 5 would cap it there. But if I could bank that experience, once I improved my Reflex to 6, I'd immediately get the benefits of having Blades 6 too (and would get Blades 7 if I improved my Reflex to 7.)

Not only would this make picking up experience Shards or using weapons for capped skills not a complete waste, it'd mean you could respec attributes as well as perks.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Not if you capped the benefits while letting you still accrue experience for the skill.

So, say I leveled Blades to 7 but my Reflex was 5, under the proposed new system. My effective Blades skill would still be 5, because the Reflex of 5 would cap it there. But if I could bank that experience, once I improved my Reflex to 6, I'd immediately get the benefits of having Blades 6 too (and would get Blades 7 if I improved my Reflex to 7.)

Not only would this make picking up experience Shards or using weapons for capped skills not a complete waste, it'd mean you could respec attributes as well as perks.

I'd dig that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

terrorist ambulance posted:

When Brigitte responds to you with scorn and tells you to get the gently caress out you piece of poo poo, AFTER they already tried to kill you, I don't think on any playthrough I'll be doing something other than the draw weapon option. Especially when you know they fried Evelyn the way they did.

When you step back and look at it, VDBs are as much an antagonist as Arasaka

They are a supremely unsympathetic faction.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

Did you all pick up Rogue in Johnny's 911? I was so happy that she noticed and laughed about it.

Yeah, I just did that quest. Johnny's car is one of the few that's actually fun to drive, too, though I'm still mostly sticking to motorcycles.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just realized what this game needs to really succeed.

Weapon Durability :getin:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Serious post about cyberpsychosis: Cyberpunk 2020 was written when criminally insane villains were a dime a dozen and "ableism" wasnt a well-known term in the political lexicon, and the underlying purpose of cyberpsychosis was to limit the amount of cyberware a player character could install, while also serving as a quick justification for fighting outwardly violent villains. Why did this guy turn psychotic only after installing gatling guns for arms and a tank for legs, not before? Who knows but hes spooling up and aiming at the party. Why cant the players become gatling gun tank man and go on a rampage? Because thats what the rules say Mark, stop loving arguing.

Cyberpunk RED attempted to reconcile this mechanic and ended up with an awkward section about how cyberpsychos were already inherently violent before installing cyberware, but then goes to define rules where you can torture anyone into being a violent unhinged criminal without a single cyberware upgrade. That result makes sense for Cyberpunks schlocky 80s sci-fi roots, but those sorts of mechanics dont jive well with Cyberpunks newer, more self-serious theming.

Even as a game mechanic though, it kind of blows. Player characters are usually violent sociopathic thieves by default unless the game encourages them to play nice, so its not much of a soft limit. In RED, the hard limit is death via the GM taking over the character and making them a cyberpsycho. The two skills it governs are human perception and conversation, which means installing too much cyberware (visible or otherwise) makes you worse at reading and manipulating people, which is the opposite of what youd expect from an actual psychopath. Theres no tonal consistency and the concept would have been better served by a lore blurb about cyberpsychosis and limiting cyberware through some other cheap method like "cyber fortitude" or whatever.

So that said I think its fine that CDPR tosses the TTRPG mechanics out the window.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I don't really understand the recent trend of games dividing experience rewards into two tributaries (level xp and "renown" / reputation xp, etc.) and it baffles me even more that CP2077 has three - level xp, street cred xp, and skill xp. Especially when all skill XP does is spread around perk points and provide incremental, borderline-unnoticeable changes to skill stats. Those two things are at cross-purposes, to boot. The former heavily incentivizes generalizing your playstyle, the latter does very little to incentivize specialization.

And then on top of that, your advancement in skills is gated by your level and / or primary stat distribution choice, so at a certain point your incentive for doing a certain thing vanishes and begins to lag. I feel like it's specifically built to bridge the gap between Skyrim's anyone-can-do-anything lack of discrete character building and rigid class-based systems, but it ends up as the worst of both worlds, where you can do anything but some of the things you do will suck more, for reasons that aren't super intuitive. I doubt they'll start feeling intuitive even after the badly-needed tuning that will go into the RPG systems, simply because of how many perks are just fiddly stat adjustments. My second character and my first don't feel meaningfully different but there's a whole apparatus of skill trees and stats trying to convince me that they are.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The biggest differences in gameplay wind up being the ones you impose on yourself, basically. What you slot in your operating system is #1 in that regard, having or not having access to quick hacks and breach protocol is huge. But ultimately you can do anything and allocate anything and still wind up cruising through most encounters.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Man, I'm sorry I missed that on my first playthrough. I had to kill the VDBs myself the old fashion way: With lots of bullets and grenades.

I'm super confused with all of this... y'all killed VDBs at all? I left peacefully after that part. They weren't exactly friendly to me but there was no fighting at all.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oh yeah one other funny thing about RED is that being tortured is as traumatizing as installing a music player in your head. Except while the ptsd can be fully fixed with hypnosis and cyberxanax, the scars of listening to music on demand will never fully heal

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

WirelessPillow posted:

Missing a key element here. Judy stipulates that Clouds has to be run with 0 interference from Tyger Claw. That they will get the kickback but will have no say in how the place is run. Maiko wanted to run it as a contact with the Tyger Claws, which means their input would still be considered, so even if she had said something upfront Judy likely would have said no. This is especially apparent to Maiko since Judy could have contacted her and met up instead of snuck into her office to begin with. Whole thing was bad from start to finish

yeah. Maiko is a sociopathic parasite who loved the Boot who got pissy that a butchered her rapist boss and was fine with the horrible poo poo that happened to judy and her gf. she tried to make a power play at the expense of others and when i dealt with the claw leaders and called her out she pulled a blade. so she joined the bosses.

Control Volume posted:

Serious post about cyberpsychosis: Cyberpunk 2020 was written when criminally insane villains were a dime a dozen and "ableism" wasnt a well-known term in the political lexicon, and the underlying purpose of cyberpsychosis was to limit the amount of cyberware a player character could install, while also serving as a quick justification for fighting outwardly violent villains. Why did this guy turn psychotic only after installing gatling guns for arms and a tank for legs, not before? Who knows but hes spooling up and aiming at the party. Why cant the players become gatling gun tank man and go on a rampage? Because thats what the rules say Mark, stop loving arguing.

Cyberpunk RED attempted to reconcile this mechanic and ended up with an awkward section about how cyberpsychos were already inherently violent before installing cyberware, but then goes to define rules where you can torture anyone into being a violent unhinged criminal without a single cyberware upgrade. That result makes sense for Cyberpunks schlocky 80s sci-fi roots, but those sorts of mechanics dont jive well with Cyberpunks newer, more self-serious theming.

Even as a game mechanic though, it kind of blows. Player characters are usually violent sociopathic thieves by default unless the game encourages them to play nice, so its not much of a soft limit. In RED, the hard limit is death via the GM taking over the character and making them a cyberpsycho. The two skills it governs are human perception and conversation, which means installing too much cyberware (visible or otherwise) makes you worse at reading and manipulating people, which is the opposite of what youd expect from an actual psychopath. Theres no tonal consistency and the concept would have been better served by a lore blurb about cyberpsychosis and limiting cyberware through some other cheap method like "cyber fortitude" or whatever.

So that said I think its fine that CDPR tosses the TTRPG mechanics out the window.

yeah. i kind of like what cdpr i did, where "cyperpsychosis" is either people who had a mental break from horrible poo poo that cyberware made worse or they were already weird monsters who flipped out over something. i mean i am ok with the original idea of it when its basicaly "you replaced your empathy part of your brain with a targeting computer and your hands with guns and your genitals with guns, your brain can break". but yeah i am cool with better changes.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I really don't get why they didn't have cyber walkmen in the setting, to allow us to listen to the radio full time (and please god make our own station)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Man, driving through the desert with Panam is amazing, absolutely nails the distant parallaxy mountains vibe. Best scenery since AC Odyssey or that first sight of the outdoors in Oblivion for me.

Just starting the VDB line now, big Angel Heart vibes

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I want a Kiroshi mod that shows the artist/title when a song comes on...!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Control Volume posted:

Oh yeah one other funny thing about RED is that being tortured is as traumatizing as installing a music player in your head. Except while the ptsd can be fully fixed with hypnosis and cyberxanax, the scars of listening to music on demand will never fully heal

pretty sure this is at least partly up to the GM and if you do torture some folks black site style, or botch a resist torture roll you can end up losing an insane fuckton of humanity. Which it should be named something else, but gently caress if i know what other word would be good for it.

The thing about cyberpsychos being inherently violent i thought actually meant "already susceptible to it -- mechanically presented in the form of having low EMP stat." Also depending on GM i think it can be a soft limit, where you start to get symptoms at ~3 empathy and as you lose humanity you lose empathy and gain more symptoms until the fatal crack/ping.

Some dude i saw was saying one of the things he likes to do is if the player is kind of ignoring the fact they're close to full blown psychosis, they'll start sessions with extra details that lead to that player having blacked out and done something bad -- pretty much same as if they got bit by a werewolf in a different setting. He was also saying having maxtac show up is a thing he does but only as a last resort. Usually he starts them off where NPCs start actively avoiding them and things like that.

There are only 2 skills that are empathy based, but it actually sort of makes sense to me that persuasion and stuff is actually based on cool instead of empathy, and the way they've described psychosis it makes sense that you really wouldn't understand what other people are thinking and feeling. You do hear about IRL psychos who totally trick people etc.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Magus42 posted:

I'm super confused with all of this... y'all killed VDBs at all? I left peacefully after that part. They weren't exactly friendly to me but there was no fighting at all.

The VDB fried Evelyn's brain and put her to a fate worse than death. When you talk to Brigitte about it she says "ahh so the whore was useful afterall?" gently caress them sideways. I always kill them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

pretty sure this is at least partly up to the GM and if you do torture some folks black site style, or botch a resist torture roll you can end up losing an insane fuckton of humanity. Which it should be named something else, but gently caress if i know what other word would be good for it.

It’s basically sanity from coc

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah, sanity or something like that would be a better name for it.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

You guys keep conflating psychosis and psychopathy, like Jeza said. Pyschosis just means you can't tell what's real or not. So human perception and conversation being affected makes sense.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I accidentally fell into a Romance with Panam during my playthrough last night. Looked up nothin into it so i had no idea the partners were. I was thinking I was getting with Claire but turns out we're just good buds and helping her honor her late husband's legacy and dream :qq:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i thought mechanically humanity loss also reduced your effective empathy stat as well, so that it has the immediate effect of increasingly loving up your human perception and conversation rolls as you lose humanity?

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
130 hours later i finally figured it out how to craft legendary weapons lol. oh and i also found out johnnies shoes

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I accidentally fell into a Romance with Panam during my playthrough last night. Looked up nothin into it so i had no idea the partners were. I was thinking I was getting with Claire but turns out we're just good buds and helping her honor her late husband's legacy and dream :qq:

honestly I'm kinda surprised they only have four total

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is a direct contradiction to the in-game datashard about cyberpsychosis; it's debatable whether this shard tells "the truth" or if it's the shard author making some kind of commentary about "the rest of us", but according to the shard, cyberpsychosis has very little, if anything at all, to do with being chromed out. The shard explicitly calls out that the vast majority of cyberpsychos are likely to only have one single minor piece of chrome like a knee or a liver, and insinuates that it is more or less just someone snapping at how hosed up the world is and going on a rampage.

You see the chromed out ones on the news and in the headlines because they have the capacity to go on mass killing sprees - that doesn't mean they are any more "cyberpsycho" than the basement dweller type who never leaves home and hates humanity.

Yeah the best example of a "cyberpsycho" in my mind is the garage owner who snaps and murders the corpo suits who were screwing him over. Or legally defrauded him because good luck fighting a corp when the law is written by and for them after they pull a swifty on you - the typical "we're repossessing your poo poo and there is no recourse, move out in 2 days, thanks for the money sucker" eviction notice. After reading all the datashards it's pretty clear there was nothing wrong with him whatsoever. Simply a case of a man being angry at the gross injustice, facing ruin through no fault of his own and having it all rubbed in his face by arrogant & rude corpos.

Sure he snapped but chrome wasn't the reason why. Not at all.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i thought mechanically humanity loss also reduced your effective empathy stat as well, so that it has the immediate effect of increasingly loving up your human perception and conversation rolls as you lose humanity?

Empathy is humanity divided by 10 rounded down. Starting humanity likewise is 10 times empathy.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pattonesque posted:

honestly I'm kinda surprised they only have four total

Yeah same but also kinda cool? You don't have the thing of the player being the ultimate love machine with every NPC in love with your rear end. Theres always the 1 offs and joytoys around town.

I'm gonna be 100% i really thought it was gonna be claire but our text chats were just silly. Kinda cool!

Also side note; i enjoy the text chats in the game. Ive had similar ones with my wife involving ":^p" and sayin da funnies

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

hobbesmaster posted:

Empathy is humanity divided by 10 rounded down. Starting humanity likewise is 10 times empathy.

yeah so you lose emptathy along with humanity and the way skill checks work it's [human perception roll + empathy vs difficulty], right?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Also side note; i enjoy the text chats in the game. Ive had similar ones with my wife involving ":^p" and sayin da funnies

The text chats are great and add so much humanity to the whole thing. The first humorous exchange with Takemura had me going "why hasn't this been a thing in games for years already?"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yeah so you lose emptathy along with humanity and the way skill checks work it's [human perception roll + empathy vs difficulty], right?

1d10+skill+stat vs difficulty, yeah

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

The text chats with Takemura are the best.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
He gets pretty upset when you send him bullshit ancient Japanese "proverbs"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
yeah the text chats are awesome. really the best part of this game is when you shoot the poo poo with your cyberfriends

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

IRT Claire what happens when you Ignore her cries for vengeance and finish the race instead of following the guy

itry
Aug 23, 2019

ChrisBTY posted:

IRT Claire what happens when you Ignore her cries for vengeance and finish the race instead of following the guy

Something along the lines of-

You missed the turn! :argh:
I know :v:
What are you doing! :argh:
I'm winning the race :v:

I only know because I was winning the race and didn't actually have any car to follow down the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Pyromancer posted:

i don't want the passive boosts i get from attribute points, just want the freedom to continuing leveling skills that i use beyond their attribute cap.

really just trying to figure out the best way to correct the various systems in this game to make it more fun but not demolish what difficulty there is (not much)