Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RBA Starblade posted:

The only time I've ever had tongue was sliced as part of a charcuterie plate at a Russian restaurant served with sauces and vodka

It was pretty tasteless and spongy making it pretty good at being a sauce delivery vehicle

That is its purpose in life as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

axolotl farmer posted:

I had this in a Szechuan restaurant in the US, it was the one place where my Chinese coworkers went to for "real" Chinese food. The cubes of blood hade the same consistency as the cubes of tofu, so maybe it was blood-flavored tofu? It was in a spicy red szechuan pepper broth and just good food.

e: this is the closest pic I could find.

Blood tofu seems to be an actual traditional Chinese food: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwTw3yR13IU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Data Graham posted:

I remember one of the Beezus & Ramona books (which are from the 50s iirc) had a thing where the POV kids realized in shock and horror that their parents were serving them tongue for dinner.

I always think about this scene when tongue comes up, too. she figures out that it's tongue by the bumps, but I've since learned that you're supposed to skin it first.

the last time I went to the local flea market, there was combination hotdog and taco stand run by a 4'8" Latina lady and a 6'4" white dude. despite the fact that the vast majority of people in attendance are extremely country white people, they'd completely sold out of tacos (and not hotdogs).

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
My mother in law made a dish with the congealed pig's blood tofu before. It was lukewarm and tasted like a nose bleed. I'm sure there is a good preparation of it, I didn't find it offensively bad like dried cucumber or some of the medicinal herbs/roots.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Haven't lived close enough to a papa johns in forever so I never have it, but I would make a special trip for some stuffed crust from them, cause why not. Sadly Dayum thinks their pizza is too bland, but it's a fuckton better than dominos and the poo poo I have nearby.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0qds95_3FU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I used to like Papa Johns but I’ve been boycotting them since the time Schnatter whined about possibly having to raise prices on his pizzas by like 10¢ because of his lazy ingrate workers and that communist Obama... has the quality gone down in the 10 years or so since then or had people been saying it sucks out of spite? I mean, compared to chains like Pizza Hut and Dominos, I thought it was honestly pretty decent.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I used to like Papa Johns but I’ve been boycotting them since the time Schnatter whined about possibly having to raise prices on his pizzas by like 10¢ because of his lazy ingrate workers and that communist Obama... has the quality gone down in the 10 years or so since then or had people been saying it sucks out of spite? I mean, compared to chains like Pizza Hut and Dominos, I thought it was honestly pretty decent.

10 years ago it had an overly sweet sauce and generally poor crust. The peppers and garlic butter are the only two things about it, which balance the sauce.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I believe they fired papa john after getting backlash

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
papa john's tastes exactly like papa john's always has. i too stopped eating it after that all came out, but i don't think it's at all different now than from a decade ago when i relied on their 2 for 1 larges in college.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Well I haven't had it in years, and am currently pretty hungry, so the fantasy of eating some alternative to pizza hut stuffed crust, well it's a nice idea. Probably won't (ever) because it would require me to go pick it up from afar.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

LifeSunDeath posted:

Haven't lived close enough to a papa johns in forever so I never have it, but I would make a special trip for some stuffed crust from them, cause why not. Sadly Dayum thinks their pizza is too bland, but it's a fuckton better than dominos and the poo poo I have nearby.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0qds95_3FU

It was fine but not worth making a special trip over. It's a level better than Pizza Hut's current iteration of stuffed crust pizza, but probably worse than Pizza Hut's stuffed crust pizza in the 90's.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

LifeSunDeath posted:

Well I haven't had it in years, and am currently pretty hungry, so the fantasy of eating some alternative to pizza hut stuffed crust, well it's a nice idea. Probably won't (ever) because it would require me to go pick it up from afar.

i'm gonna order one for dinner. cant wait to dip that cheese stuffed crust in that little cup of congealed oil :yum:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I have a friend who worked at the Italian restaurant that Schnatter had started at, the one that inspired him to start his chain. he'd come back fairly often to chat with the owner.

even before he said a gamer word during a teleconferenced board meeting, I'd learned a lot about what a massive and bizarre piece of poo poo the guy is.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I rate my chain pizza by how much oregano is in the sauce and oil is in the crust to distract you from you're eating a chain pizza and by that measure Pizza Hut and Dominos aren't even in the same continent as Papa John's wads of flour covered in unseasoned tomato paste.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you want to know how bad pizza in Korea is, short of going to like an actual Italian place where you get a real Naples pizza, Papa John's is by far your best option. Not even a contest.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Whooping Crabs posted:

It was fine but not worth making a special trip over. It's a level better than Pizza Hut's current iteration of stuffed crust pizza, but probably worse than Pizza Hut's stuffed crust pizza in the 90's.

omg, I thought poo poo was different with PH, hadn't had the stuffed crust since the early 2000's and then had it a few times in recent years and it was just hot garbage, but I remember REALLY LIKING IT back in the day.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

TheAardvark posted:

i'm gonna order one for dinner. cant wait to dip that cheese stuffed crust in that little cup of congealed oil :yum:

OH oh drat, the butter....that would be legit as hell.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Grand Fromage posted:

If you want to know how bad pizza in Korea is, short of going to like an actual Italian place where you get a real Naples pizza, Papa John's is by far your best option. Not even a contest.

Now I know that I never want to live in Korea

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

North Korea does sound pretty bad I'll give you that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Iron Crowned posted:

Now I know that I never want to live in Korea

You can get actual pizza though, if you're in any major city there's at least one good place. We had one run by a local guy who moved to Naples to study pizza for like five years then came back to make pizzas. Fantastic.

The only concession he made for Korean tastes was Korean customers (or anyone looking East Asian) would be given a bowl of honey and bowl of sweet pickles on the side with their pizza.

E: Also Costco has the same pizza there as in the US so it was good.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I will stand with the corn kewpie mayo cake bread pizzas before I give one inch to the neopolitan pizza fascist's pizza law.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oops All Pizza Rules. :moonrio:

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Papa John's don't have any restaurants here in Northern Ireland, only in England/Scotland. But they've bought UK-wide advertising so TV is full of ads for pizzas I can't order.

Domino's is the worst pizza available here, but it's insanely popular despite being flavourless ingredients lumped onto a base that tastes overwhelmingly of sugary tomato ketchup. It's also way more expensive than decent pizza from a local parlour.

Pizza Hut is kind of shitgood here. It's not great pizza, but in the pre-lockdown times they did fantastic all-you-can-eat buffets for about half the price of a large Domino's.

My local place of choice does a build-your-own pizza for £11, which is about £5 cheaper than a set menu pizza of the nearest size from Domino's.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

wow holy poo poo that's expensive for dominos

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Dominos is insanely expensive outside the US. In Korea it was like $30+. I have no idea how they get away with it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

10000 Sex Arses posted:

Papa John's don't have any restaurants here in Northern Ireland, only in England/Scotland

I'm about to make some really bad joke but I...I gotta stop.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chain pizza places like Dominos are stupidly expensive in the UK, like twice as much as you'd pay for a standard kebab shop pizza

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Dominos is insanely expensive outside the US. In Korea it was like $30+. I have no idea how they get away with it.

I remember getting a couple Pizza Hut pizzas in japan with coworkers and it just being 50+ dollars, they were mediums with bizzaro toppings, not worth it at all tbh...mostly I went for grocery story toaster oven size pizzas, or stand alone italian places that would randomly have good pie for pretty cheap.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

10000 Sex Arses posted:

Domino's is the worst pizza available here, but it's insanely popular despite being flavourless ingredients lumped onto a base that tastes overwhelmingly of sugary tomato ketchup. It's also way more expensive than decent pizza from a local parlour.

An excellent excuse to share one of my favorite Onion videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31JNEVHZxO8

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Chain pizza places like Dominos are stupidly expensive in the UK, like twice as much as you'd pay for a standard kebab shop pizza

Not just pizza places. A McDonald's/Burger King meal is usually more expensive than getting the same from a local chippie. Despite the chip shop meal coming with a proper burger and enough chips to feed a family of 4 for a week.

5 Guys is the worst I've experienced. A burger and fries there costs more than going to a top-end gastro-pub and ordering their specialty burger made from entirely locally-sourced ingredients with hand-cut steak fries and a pint of premium lager.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol closest Five Guys to me is Liverpool and I've resisted going in every time so far. Not that that's been often recently...

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Mr.Radar posted:

An excellent excuse to share one of my favorite Onion videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31JNEVHZxO8

owns

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

five guys is hella overpriced in America, too

they should offer a hose down service at the exit of all five guys imo

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

covid made me realize that restaurants in general are an insane luxury that I really don't care about that much.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Eating out most of the time in China was fantastic and the only thing I miss from there.

Restaurants being a luxury is entirely location dependent. In Chengdu there are just so many of them and it's often the same price or cheaper than cooking at home, so they're central to life.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Eating out most of the time in China was fantastic and the only thing I miss from there.

Restaurants being a luxury is entirely location dependent. In Chengdu there are just so many of them and it's often the same price or cheaper than cooking at home, so they're central to life.

while I totally agree that it's less luxury in many places beyond less dense areas of the united states, I think of it more like, ultimately preparing your own food if you have the means, in general is less of a waste, esp if you're preparing food for more than one person. I'm thinking more of the people that have a pantry full of food in the states, and are screaming about not being able to sit down at arby's and eat bullshit without a mask etc...totally wasteful mindset.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
weird to see dominos be so expensive as here in the states its the one i sometimes get only because they regularly slash the menu price in half so i can buy an obscene amount of pizza for a pittance.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

uber_stoat posted:

weird to see dominos be so expensive as here in the states its the one i sometimes get only because they regularly slash the menu price in half so i can buy an obscene amount of pizza for a pittance.

It's true. They are (unfortunately) the best pizza within a 15 mile drive for me, and the price racks up like hell if you order full price items, but they shower you with coupons that make it much harder to say no.

Even if the other pizza places in the area (which are all the suburban mom-n-pop bodega-style by-the-slice heatlamp kind, bleh) were better, they would be more expensive than Domino's on balance

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

covid made me realize that restaurants in general are an insane luxury that I really don't care about that much.

:same:

Although I miss my monthly outing to the lovely mexican restaurant to get margaritas with my roommate. Last one was in March

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Empty Sandwich posted:

I have a friend who worked at the Italian restaurant that Schnatter had started at, the one that inspired him to start his chain. he'd come back fairly often to chat with the owner.

even before he said a gamer word during a teleconferenced board meeting, I'd learned a lot about what a massive and bizarre piece of poo poo the guy is.

Stories please