Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Osiris' green skin was symbolic of renewal and new-growth vegetation as well as decay. The Egyptian word for green also meant "to be healthy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

drrockso20 posted:

Or Gunpla as it's probably the most affordable form of modeling I can think of in terms of how affordable it can be to get into since the more basic sets are between ten and twenty bucks and the only necessary tool is something to cut the parts off the sprues(since unless you're building an ancient kit from the 80's or maybe one of the more extra expensive and complicated kits they don't need glue to be assembled) and one could easily just use a pair of nail clippers if they had to(though a decent tool kit for that kind of thing is also rather cheap to get)

Any number of model kits that actually got kids' attention, I think. Calvin and Hobbes comes to mind, pretty sure tons of kids got given fancy models of ships and fighter jets that were way above their skill level to actually assemble even if they weren't cheap crap. And weeb stores have shelves and shelves of Gundam models for a reason, see also Zoids, even One Piece ships.

The model train thing relied on a very specific bracket of interest at the time, I think, and never really made any further effort to be accessible or appeal to younger audiences. Also a lot about the fanbase makes sense considering the ridiculously common thing of autistic people being really obsessed with trains. (guilty)

Seems to happen with those kinda hobby companies, Games Workshop barely pulled themselves out of a slow decline with a change of management when the atmosphere of their HQ must have been 70% recycled farts.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Jan 2, 2021

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
The real question is who is the more obsessive fanbase, model train people or railfans

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The model train thing relied on a very specific bracket of interest at the time, I think, and never really made any further effort to be accessible or appeal to younger audiences. Also a lot about the fanbase makes sense considering the ridiculously common thing of autistic people being really obsessed with trains. (guilty)

The kind of train enthusiasts who liked to actually go see trains irl with notebook etc as well as making models were really impacted by the various waves of anti-terrorist panic in the UK since it made it difficult or impossible for them to get onto train platforms (no more easy access to platforms or platform tickets etc) so they can't actually see the trains going into and out of the station up close any more. I reckon that kind of thing has cut down on one of the entryways into the hobby tbh.

My partner's dad is a trainspotter who loves to spend the day noting down numbers and models and has been repeatedly challenged by station staff or transport police when he's watching the trains.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

FreudianSlippers posted:

Rod Stewart is really into model trains. Apparently he's spends most of his time on tour for the last 25 years painting tiny trees and other props for his massive decades in the making track.

Even as a young rockstar in The Small Faces days he'd go to model train conventions in disguise.

Another famous R.S. has an odd collecting hobby. Rick Springfield is a huge collector of Star Wars toys and memorabilia.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Any number of model kits that actually got kids' attention, I think. Calvin and Hobbes comes to mind, pretty sure tons of kids got given fancy models of ships and fighter jets that were way above their skill level to actually assemble even if they weren't cheap crap. And weeb stores have shelves and shelves of Gundam models for a reason, see also Zoids, even One Piece ships.

Seems to happen with those kinda hobby companies, Games Workshop barely pulled themselves out of a slow decline with a change of management when the atmosphere of their HQ must have been 70% recycled farts.
I think more than a few model train companies tried to make kid trains take off after a little initial interest in the toy boom of the 70s and 80s, and the entire market segment failed to do anything resulting in more than a few consolidations and doubling down on the fart huffing sponsored by selling 200 units a year to obsessives for 500x markup.

I can't find any good sources to double check on the exact whos and whens so going off memory of the California State Railroad Museum model train wing.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Kevin DuBrow posted:

President Garfield lived for 80 days after he was shot. For much of that time, the doctors, believing that his intestine was punctured, tried to feed him food such as egg yolks and milk through his anus, along with whiskey and opium.

Shoulda tried lasagna

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cacafuego posted:

Shoulda tried lasagna

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

This comic is the only reason I know the name of the guy who killed President Garfield

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It's a very Canadian name

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phy posted:

This comic is the only reason I know the name of the guy who killed President Garfield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGVraepNj04

sam o'nella academy did a pretty entertaining video on it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Guiteau chose to use an ivory‐grip revolver because he thought it would look good in a museum after the assassination.

The Smithsonian Institution acquired the gun and has since lost it.

My personal conspiracy theory is that the gun isn’t actually lost. It’s in the director’s desk drawer. It has been quietly passed down all these years, foiling Guiteau’s final wish.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Carthag Tuek posted:

It's a very Canadian name

He was a member of some weird, Christian poly-sex-cult thing (who now make silverware, iirc), and was so disliked that his nickname was Charles 'Get-out'.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

FreudianSlippers posted:

Rod Stewart is really into model trains. Apparently he's spends most of his time on tour for the last 25 years painting tiny trees and other props for his massive decades in the making track.

Even as a young rockstar in The Small Faces days he'd go to model train conventions in disguise.

Took about 23 years according to the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50403561

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Samovar posted:

He was a member of some weird, Christian poly-sex-cult thing (who now make silverware, iirc), and was so disliked that his nickname was Charles 'Get-out'.

Man no wonder he killed a President, you gotta be a next-level incel to not be getting any in the polygamist orgy cult.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The true story is that Napoleon crossed the alps days after his army did. And he was riding a mule, and being led by a guide.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ChocNitty posted:

The true story is that Napoleon crossed the alps days after his army did.

I think that's clear from the photograph. You see the army already on it's way, while Napoleon is posing.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Samovar posted:

You would be referring to the Oneida community! Who were, indeed, a weird, quasi-Christian poly sex cult!

Fun facts about the Oneidans! :eng101:

* They practiced what they called "complex marriage", in meant, in a nutshell, that basically everyone in the community was married to everyone else. (of the opposite sex, anyway)

* Because they were very sex positive, they were big into birth control. Their preferred method was what they called "male continence", which was basically orgasm denial. Young male members of the community were expected to learn the technique from older, post-menopausal women before they could get their swerve on with just anyone.

* They were a wee bit into proto-eugenics, as reproduction required advanced permission from community leadership.

* The silverware was only one of many endeavors the community had to support itself. And because they had very progressive views on gender and sex, women weren't just permitted to take equal part, but expected to.

* In order to maintain good community relations, disputes were settled with group meetings that were essentially genteel 19th century struggle sessions. This is where Guiteau's trouble was - dude was mentally ill and could neither give or accept criticism in the slightest.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Phy posted:

https://youtu.be/pNAfPvzTBmQ

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Asterite34 posted:

Man no wonder he killed a President, you gotta be a next-level incel to not be getting any in the polygamist orgy cult.

The episode on him and Leon Czołgosz by the History Honeys gives a pretty good overview.

Basically, he was like a real-life Ignatius J. Reilly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Samovar posted:

The episode on him and Leon Czołgosz by the History Honeys gives a pretty good overview.

Basically, he was like a real-life Ignatius J. Reilly.

The Dollop episode #48 is about him (plus it's one of the live ones with Wil Anderson as a guest and he's always fun)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

Now I'm going to forever picture him as a sort of Ralph Pootawn and this is my favorite thing from history

"Charles pls go"
"no"

Phy has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Jan 4, 2021

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

The true story is that Napoleon crossed the alps days after his army did. And he was riding a mule, and being led by a guide.

This is his coronation portrait:

Notably, he is already crowned and is pictured in the act of crowning his wife, Empress Joséphine. Pope Pius VII is next to him watching. This is because Napoleon decided at the last minute to crown himself. A draft sketch of the portrait show him autocoronating.

Jaguars! has a new favorite as of 19:59 on Jan 4, 2021

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

A draft sketch of the portrait show him autocoronating.

Gross

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's some big dick energy

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

It was thought in extremely bad taste at the time, which is why they came up with the solution shown.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Jaguars! posted:

This is his coronation portrait:

Notably, he is already crowned and is pictured in the act of crowning his wife, Empress Joséphine. Pope Pius VII is next to him watching. This is because Napoleon decided at the last minute to crown himself. A draft sketch of the portrait show him autocoronating.

Seem to recall reading something Napoleon actually wrote, think he said something about being born on an old carpet, but it was a Grand Design! Think it was supposed a carpet with Caesar or Alexander or something, can't recall specifics, but I remember how it struck me even through all the years since he wrote it how obvious the huge ego was. Sort of a "Wow, I feel like I'm truly reaching back through history and connecting with someone back then! And realizing how much of an arrogant rear end he was!" experience.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

It's not as if Napoleon had any reason for holding back. He had beaten all of the world's best armies at that point and could rightfully boast being the biggest thing in military matters since Julius Caesar. His mouth wasn't writing any checks that his armies couldn't cash.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The peanut brittle story is thousands of years old, see CIL IV 1516.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

barbecue at the folks posted:

It's not as if Napoleon had any reason for holding back. He had beaten all of the world's best armies at that point and could rightfully boast being the biggest thing in military matters since Julius Caesar. His mouth wasn't writing any checks that his armies couldn't cash.
And his Code Civil aka Code Napoleon influences european continental law until today. And Louisiana.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1887 47 people signed a letter titled "Protests by artists against the tower of Mr. Eiffel". One of the people who signed the letter was the author Guy de Maupassant. Despite his protests the Eiffel Tower was built. Then for the rest of his life Guy de Maupassant would eat his lunch in the restaurant of the tower. Why? It was the only place in Paris where he could eat his lunch without seeing the tower he hated so much.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Are there any other buildings with such a quick turnaround from "edgy eyesore" to "city-defining beloved landmark" as the Eiffel Tower?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The World Trade Center was pretty controversial for a while after its construction.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Are there any other buildings with such a quick turnaround from "edgy eyesore" to "city-defining beloved landmark" as the Eiffel Tower?

I don't know if it was as quick, but while the state opera in Vienna is far from being as city-defining as the Eiffel Tower is, it's still an important part of the city's cultural as well as tourist infrastructure - quite contrary to its initial perception when the Viennese (including the Emperor) hated it so much that one of its two architects commited suicide. According to legend the Emperor was so shocked by the consequences of his criticism that for the rest of his life he said about every arts-related issue just a stereotypical "It was very nice, I liked it quite a lot"

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

In 1887 47 people signed a letter titled "Protests by artists against the tower of Mr. Eiffel". One of the people who signed the letter was the author Guy de Maupassant. Despite his protests the Eiffel Tower was built. Then for the rest of his life Guy de Maupassant would eat his lunch in the restaurant of the tower. Why? It was the only place in Paris where he could eat his lunch without seeing the tower he hated so much.

That is first-class hatred.

System Metternich posted:

I don't know if it was as quick, but while the state opera in Vienna is far from being as city-defining as the Eiffel Tower is, it's still an important part of the city's cultural as well as tourist infrastructure - quite contrary to its initial perception when the Viennese (including the Emperor) hated it so much that one of its two architects commited suicide. According to legend the Emperor was so shocked by the consequences of his criticism that for the rest of his life he said about every arts-related issue just a stereotypical "It was very nice, I liked it quite a lot"

And imagine the guilt. The other architect died from TB soon before. And then, every time you do to the opera, it's there.

Good. Screw Habsburgs.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

gleebster posted:

Good. Screw Habsburgs.

You're gonna need to wait your turn behind the Habsburgs.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

gleebster posted:

That is first-class hatred.

They covered that fact on an early episode of QI, I remember an exchange that went:

Panellist I Can't Remember: Couldn't he have just sat in a chair that was facing away from it?

Stephen Fry: He was a French writer trying to make a point, and therefore a massive git.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BalloonFish posted:

They covered that fact on an early episode of QI, I remember an exchange that went:

Panellist I Can't Remember: Couldn't he have just sat in a chair that was facing away from it?

Stephen Fry: He was a French writer trying to make a point, and therefore a massive git.

Yeah, that was my first impression. There had to be hundreds of places to eat in Paris where the tower wasn't visible. The dude was just being a massive git.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BalloonFish posted:

I guess massive gits know their own

Ellie Crabcakes has a new favorite as of 06:06 on Jan 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
reminder that Stephen Fry is good friends with JK Rowling