Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

abraham linksys posted:

So, for a cheap and quiet option, I've used the Kinesis Freestyle 2 and thought it had the best membrane keys I've ever used.

I guess my concern really is around the space you have - do you have space for a split keyboard like that, plus a mouse to the left/right? If you do, I think you could combine that with a cheap external numpad placed in between the two halves.

I just went ahead and measured, and it's roughly a trapezoid 22" wide at the top, ~30" wide at the bottom (wider and I start getting into uncomfortably territory", and about 13" deep to fit a keyboard and mouse into. Boxed in by computer hardware on the edges (and the end of my desk in front). New mouse should mitigate some mouse space issues at least.

quote:

Also, if you have diagnosed RSI, depending on where you live, you should almost certainly be able to get your employer to cover at least some of the cost.
Diagnosis from symptoms came through from my doctor, testing to confirm severity & further treatment is still a month (of frequent to constant pain) away thanks to COVID slowdowns of non emergency testing/treatment. It's something I can ask about and look into, but between "company that barely gives a poo poo past one level of management up" and "red state that absolutely hates employee rights" my hopes are low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Is there no option for work to subsidize an ergo keyboard? That would be the most ideal way to go since you could potentially get in on the higher end Kinesis as well.

The high prices you're seeing are really because the keyboards are split / ergo plus mechanical. The cheaper rubber dome Kinesis keyboards should actually work well for your scenario.

Unfortunately most split mechanical keyboards that are cheaper than high end are custom ones you need to build and can't really return. Cost of PCB + switches + keycaps + tenting to actually make it adjustable will also add up. Though I don't really know what your budget is.

Maybe get a lower end split keyboard or lower end Kinesis from Amazon and see if it helps and hopefully you'd know by the Amazon return window.

EDIT: Sorry I had this reply up for way too long and didn't see your previous response

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

An old coworker swore the kinesis advantage did wonders when he had rsi and couldn’t type on a normal board anymore. Later he moved to a non bowl shaped ortholinear (planck or preonic I think) because he got tired of bringing the advantage everywhere.

Personally I wouldn’t limit the budget if it’s going to improve your health / ability to keep working. But then again this hobby warped my view of what I consider a “reasonably priced keyboard”.

LochNessMonster fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 30, 2020

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Constellation I posted:

Is there no option for work to subsidize an ergo keyboard? That would be the most ideal way to go since you could potentially get in on the higher end Kinesis as well.

That process is moving. Bureaucracy is slow and end-of-year vacations of crucial people make it slower. Accommodations are in progress.

quote:

The high prices you're seeing are really because the keyboards are split / ergo plus mechanical. The cheaper rubber dome Kinesis keyboards should actually work well for your scenario.

Unfortunately most split mechanical keyboards that are cheaper than high end are custom ones you need to build and can't really return. Cost of PCB + switches + keycaps + tenting to actually make it adjustable will also add up. Though I don't really know what your budget is.

Maybe get a lower end split keyboard or lower end Kinesis from Amazon and see if it helps and hopefully you'd know by the Amazon return window.

EDIT: Sorry I had this reply up for way too long and didn't see your previous response

As far as my budget goes, I can afford most of the mid to upper end stuff, technically. It's more an issue of "how far am I willing to dent my savings before two or three major surgeries that will take me out of commission for a month and a half", which is rather less wiggle room. If it was a miracle machine I could guarantee worked I could push up to the $300 tier of keyboards... but there's no miracle guarantees. In practice, everything has spiked in prices so I don't imagine I'm getting anywhere successfully with less than $100 short of the really cheap tented-and-nothing-else boards, and my hesitance to spend big $$$ spikes rapidly after $200 or so.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

SkyeAuroline posted:

That process is moving. Bureaucracy is slow and end-of-year vacations of crucial people make it slower. Accommodations are in progress.

As far as my budget goes, I can afford most of the mid to upper end stuff, technically. It's more an issue of "how far am I willing to dent my savings before two or three major surgeries that will take me out of commission for a month and a half", which is rather less wiggle room. If it was a miracle machine I could guarantee worked I could push up to the $300 tier of keyboards... but there's no miracle guarantees. In practice, everything has spiked in prices so I don't imagine I'm getting anywhere successfully with less than $100 short of the really cheap tented-and-nothing-else boards, and my hesitance to spend big $$$ spikes rapidly after $200 or so.

You could start with an affordable one and if you really get the bug, you can always invest some time and money into a kit and build it just the way you like it. Building a kit isn't difficult and actually quite a soothing experience (unless you're wiring up controllers and switch matrices yourself).

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to chime in here - I've got some carpal tunnel in both wrists from years of lovely lovely keyboard ergonomics; at work (when I'm in the office, anyway, which hasn't been for months) I use a Kinesis Freestyle 2 with the matching keypad (in the split) and the tenting kit. It's worked really well - of course there was a period of adjustment, but having the tenkey in the middle has worked surprisingly well.

The Edge is, to my understanding, the same as the Freestyle 2 but with mechanical keys and RGB. You should be able to find one of the older Freestyles kicking around for cheap, so if you're hesitant or not sure if a split is quite your style, I'd suggest trying one of those before going all-in on the top end model.

(AFAICT the difference in the older Freestyles is less in the keys and more in the PCB / cable layout; I don't remember if the tenting kits for the newer kits would work with the older ones, though.)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Well, after weeks of having the parts sitting in a box in my room. I decided to bring them with me to work banking on the fact I'd have nothing to do. Fortunately for me I was right.

KBDfans KBD75v2 PCB and case
Gazzew Boba U4 Tactile switches
Durock Screw-in Stabilizers (lubed and KBDfans stab foams)
KBDfans PCB foam
AliExpress bootleg GMK Metropolis keycaps

Overall pleasurable build, only negative is that literally on the last screw buttoning up the case, the screw broke. Really cheap screws. 4 out 5. Not the worst thing in the world, but very annoying.

Was also my first attempt at lubing up the stabilizers and holy poo poo what a difference coming from my CM Storm Quickfire keyboard, no rickety sounds. Very positive experience. Switches are also pretty dang great. I opted for the 62g variant and feel pretty decent to me. I didn't lube them because I was convinced by YouTube videos that they sound good enough and after putting it all together, I'm satisfied with the sound they make. Way quieter than my old keyboard I mentioned. Last thing I should get is a proper USB Type-C cable, I'm temporarily using my Nintendo Switch Pro Controller's cable. :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I have been tempted by the bootleg metropolis more than once.
Thankfully it's not quite as vibrant as the GMK set because I would have also bought another 65% to hold it.

That's a nice board though and I hope you're happy with it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have been tempted by the bootleg metropolis more than once.
Thankfully it's not quite as vibrant as the GMK set because I would have also bought another 65% to hold it.

That's a nice board though and I hope you're happy with it.

So far yeah, the switches are the biggest game changers for me coming from Cherry MX Browns. Definitely would buy them again for a future build.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Are interest checks kosher for this thread? I'm looking at doing a group buy for custom caps for a Mistel Barocco/MD770 since it's drat near impossible to find a 3.25u spacebar at all, or even a 3u that isn't black or white. Don't want to spam if it's not OK.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MJP posted:

Are interest checks kosher for this thread? I'm looking at doing a group buy for custom caps for a Mistel Barocco/MD770 since it's drat near impossible to find a 3.25u spacebar at all, or even a 3u that isn't black or white. Don't want to spam if it's not OK.

I mean, I don't mind. 3u spacebars good.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Just wanted to jump in and say I think I have found a new hobby for 2021!

I had been using a budget Motospeed board for a few years because I had heard mech keyboards were fun but didn't really look into it apart from that. Used a Corsair Strafe for a few months just because it was a spare at work but since I returned it I started looking more into what makes a good keyboard.

I have started to dip my toes in by buying a Ducky One 2 TKL with Silent Red switches which should arrive this week. If I like it I can definitely see myself splurging on cool caps. I would also like to pick up this fun Panda-themed Varmilo if I decide that the Silent Reds are quiet enough for my office.

Searching through this thread provided a lot of great information so thank you to everyone who has been posting over the last few years, looking forward to joining you :)

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Welcome! (Welcome ... to City Keyboard Megathread 2017)

Ducky is a great manufacturer to start with. Varmilo is a similarly good choice; my first mechanical keyboard was a Varmilo VA87M. Let us know what you think of the Ducky One 2 and Silent Reds, and we'll be here to answer any questions you have :)

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Hi, got a new keyboard for Christmas

Plan is to replace the switches with something clicky because the current blue clones are meh and also to get an MT3 keycap set because the current keycaps thoroughly rub me the wrong way

For the switches I was thinking NK sherbets though I've also heard compelling arguments about the kailh box family (whites, jades, navy)

What would thread goons recommend? I do a lot of typing and writing nowadays so I want something that'll be a joy to write on for long periods

fishception fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 2, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
If you're going to get kailh, get jades or navy.
Navy + MT3 is such a good combo.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Hi, got a new keyboard for Christmas

Plan is to replace the switches with something clicky because the current blue clones are meh and also to get an MT3 keycap set because the current keycaps thoroughly rub me the wrong way

For the switches I was thinking NK sherbets though I've also heard compelling arguments about the kailh box family (whites, jades, navy)

What would thread goons recommend? I do a lot of typing and writing nowadays so I want something that'll be a joy to write on for long periods

My suggestion would be Box Whites if you are doing a lot of typing. It’s got a nice click, but is still light to type on.

If you want a thicker click still then I’d look at Jades and Sherbet. But the actuation force of the thick click bar is something to keep in mind if you are going to do a lot of typing.

I’ve got the Navy/MT3 combo Gnarly is suggesting and it does sound amazing. But Navies are pretty heavy to type on. A long session can be fatiguing.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Speaking of kailh box switches, does anyone sell complete keyboards with them or do you have to buy a kit and loose switches and build yourself? Same question also goes for their second generation low profile switches (the MX mount ones - the 1st gen I know several boards).

e: just after posting I stumbled over the Hexgears impulse which seems like just the thing I'm looking for!

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 4, 2021

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

TheFluff posted:

Speaking of kailh box switches, does anyone sell complete keyboards with them or do you have to buy a kit and loose switches and build yourself? Same question also goes for their second generation low profile ones (the 1st gen I know several boards).

Varmilo does in their Premium Customization page. I was going to say they also offered Zealio builds too but it appears it's no longer an option.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 4, 2021

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Varmilo does in their Premium Customization page. I was going to say they also offered Zealio builds too but it appears it's no longer an option.

Thanks for this tip too! I prefer ISO layout so I was looking into this as an alternative to the Hexgears Impulse which is ANSI only, but for some reason Varmilo doesn't offer Kailh switches for ISO layouts :confused:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
My friend recently gifted me their old Razer Blackwidow Elite keyboard, and it’s really nice. But I work from home and use a usb hub to switch my peripherals from my home machine to my work machine.

No problems on the home machine. On the work machine, the keyboard drops connection (as in, becomes unresponsive, and I hear the “usb removed/added” chime,) with unacceptable frequency. I won’t be able to use this keyboard if I can’t fix this.

I’ve eliminated the possibility that it may be the usb hub. I looked for drivers for the keyboard, there don’t seem to be any. I suspect that it has to do with Razer’s accessory software, Synapse, as I see that many people have problems with this happening when they do run Synapse. I, however, am encountering this issue on the machine that doesn’t run Synapse, and I don’t have admin rights on my work machine so I can’t install Synapse.

I used Synapse on my home pc to perform a factory reset, and strangely, this dramatically reduced the occurrences of the issue, but didn’t eliminate them entirely.

Any ideas? This is, present issue aside, a very nice keyboard and I’d love to use it. Elsewise I’m going to have to give it to a friend and shell out for a Filco majestouch or something down the line.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 4, 2021

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health
Decided to plunge into the deep end and ordered a ZSA Moonlander with box whites and (separately) some Boba Silent Tactile U4 switches. Now to just wait a month or two to find out if I've made a huge mistake. The mechanical keyboard shopping experience leaves a bit to be desired, doubly so for ergonomic keyboards.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

Decided to plunge into the deep end and ordered a ZSA Moonlander with box whites and (separately) some Boba Silent Tactile U4 switches. Now to just wait a month or two to find out if I've made a huge mistake. The mechanical keyboard shopping experience leaves a bit to be desired, doubly so for ergonomic keyboards.

These look super cool, but the white version is definitely the more appealing of the two. If I was paying almost $400 for a keyboard I would want it to be the best looking one, but I’d be really concerned about the plastic yellowing with age.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Anonymous Robot posted:

My friend recently gifted me their old Razer Blackwidow Elite keyboard, and it’s really nice. But I work from home and use a usb hub to switch my peripherals from my home machine to my work machine.

No problems on the home machine. On the work machine, the keyboard drops connection (as in, becomes unresponsive, and I hear the “usb removed/added” chime,) with unacceptable frequency. I won’t be able to use this keyboard if I can’t fix this.

I’ve eliminated the possibility that it may be the usb hub. I looked for drivers for the keyboard, there don’t seem to be any. I suspect that it has to do with Razer’s accessory software, Synapse, as I see that many people have problems with this happening when they do run Synapse. I, however, am encountering this issue on the machine that doesn’t run Synapse, and I don’t have admin rights on my work machine so I can’t install Synapse.

I used Synapse on my home pc to perform a factory reset, and strangely, this dramatically reduced the occurrences of the issue, but didn’t eliminate them entirely.

Any ideas? This is, present issue aside, a very nice keyboard and I’d love to use it. Elsewise I’m going to have to give it to a friend and shell out for a Filco majestouch or something down the line.

Have you tried plugging it into a USB 2.0 port? Sometimes lovely hardware has problems with USB 3<-->2 back compat.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

TheFluff posted:

Thanks for this tip too! I prefer ISO layout so I was looking into this as an alternative to the Hexgears Impulse which is ANSI only, but for some reason Varmilo doesn't offer Kailh switches for ISO layouts :confused:

O...K. I did not know that. That's weird. Sorry about that.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

How do Boba silent tactice switches compare to Zilents?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

How do Boba silent tactice switches compare to Zilents?

Very similar tactility, but I found there was less wobble in the Bobas. Zilents also had a bit of ping that I didn't hear in the Bobas. All things being equal, I'd take the Bobas. I think Zilents are a bit overpriced but they're still a very good switch.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Can't speak for Zilents, but the Boba's are similar in having their tactile bump at the start of the press instead of the middle like Cherry MX Browns.

I am absolutely digging how quiet they are in comparison to my old CM Storm Quickfire TK with Cherry MX Browns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcU46Txlcms

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

8-bit Miniboss posted:

O...K. I did not know that. That's weird. Sorry about that.

No no, not your fault at all, I didn't even specify I wanted ISO layout in my original post. Just weirded out by how they don't offer it for ISO for whatever arcane reason so I thought I'd post about it. Appreciate the tip anyway!

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

I just bought the black one off someone on /r/mechmarket a couple weeks ago. I’m doing 8+ hours a day of typing for studying and thought it would be a good change. I opened it up, played around with it for 20 minutes, thought ‘this is really hard’ then put it in a drawer. I keep meaning to practice a bit every day but the split keyboard thing is a painful learning curve. I discovered my left hand does ~70% of the normal board apparently.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I've been waiting around for a board with Kailh Jades to come back into stock; I got a tester and I really like the Jades. I've though about the Ducky RGB, but that's out of stock; I thought about the GMMK and getting Jades and making it myself, but the GMMK fullsize is out of stock and besides where do I get Jades at a reasonable price on their own. What should I do?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Teddybear posted:

where do I get Jades at a reasonable price on their own. What should I do?

https://novelkeys.xyz/products/novelkeys-x-kailh-box-thick-clicks

NovelKeys is the original designer of this switch, I think, so no better place to get them :)

... unless you're not based in the US, but I'm not sure who is a good distributor

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
For EU buyers, looks like keygem has them in stock: https://keygem.store/collections/kailh/products/kailh-box-jade-retooled-10pcs

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Teddybear posted:

I've been waiting around for a board with Kailh Jades to come back into stock; I got a tester and I really like the Jades. I've though about the Ducky RGB, but that's out of stock; I thought about the GMMK and getting Jades and making it myself, but the GMMK fullsize is out of stock and besides where do I get Jades at a reasonable price on their own. What should I do?

Be patient.

Or just go on Novelkeys, because it's their switch and they have them in stock.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Looking at wireless mech keyboards, almost all of them use Bluetooth instead of a dedicated adapter. Are there any reliability issues/anything to look out for? Want to downsize from a Logitech G613 to something ~60% but I'm a bit suspicious even though I know the BT stack runs on the same signaling nowadays.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Arzachel posted:

Looking at wireless mech keyboards, almost all of them use Bluetooth instead of a dedicated adapter. Are there any reliability issues/anything to look out for? Want to downsize from a Logitech G613 to something ~60% but I'm a bit suspicious even though I know the BT stack runs on the same signaling nowadays.

Bluetooth works well. I can't really speak to every single proprietary implementation of every $20 keyboard on Amazon, but the protocol as a whole is great.

If you're looking to get something more custom like from a groupbuy or whatever, I would recommend pursuing a project that utilizes ZMK instead of QMK Bluetooth.
Nice!Nano is a great place to start if you're looking to build your own project from scratch or turn an existing Elite-C board into bluetooth.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Arzachel posted:

I miss dedicated adapters too. I hate trusting bluetooth. I'm surprised there aren't more RF based wireless mechanical keebs out there. Or at least RF/BT/USBC combos. I have loads of old hardware that don't have good (or any BT) and having a nice mechanical board to take to these machines would be awful nice. I'd love a hotswap 75% with RF/BT/USBC. For taking to random machines I have to service.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

I've had mine for a few weeks now and love it. It took some getting used to and I'm still not up to full pace, but I'm getting there. Only downside so far is the double learning curve of layered keyboards plus the physical layout. And of course the fact that now I'm going down the rabbit hole and considering a Dactyl build.

My cat dropped something on my K95 and shattered a few switches a couple of weeks ago so I'm glad I forced myself to learn the Moonlander quickly rather than trying to switch back and forth. I haven't actually felt the need to take it apart and fix it yet.

Opioid posted:

I discovered my left hand does ~70% of the normal board apparently.
The letter Y in particular gets me all the time. My left hand just wants to go for it but the button next to T on the left is a layer switch instead. I hit that one (and it's right side equivalent) so often initially that I stuck the clickiest switches I had in those two spaces so I'd at least hear when I did it before typing a word or two of symbols.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I'm learning an ortholinear layout on a Preonic and I'm thinking about buying a fuckin divider to put between the two halves of this keyboard so I'll be ready to move on to a split KB, since right now I'm still crossing over for a few keys

the thing that's really going to gently caress me up is moving to a split keyboard with thumb clusters, though, and relearning where certain keys have been moved. This keyboard puts the -=[]\ keys on raise/lower + jkl;' and that's been really brutal to learn; gonna be even worse moving to a Moonlander I bet.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Gearman posted:

Very similar tactility, but I found there was less wobble in the Bobas. Zilents also had a bit of ping that I didn't hear in the Bobas. All things being equal, I'd take the Bobas. I think Zilents are a bit overpriced but they're still a very good switch.

Guess I’ll be shopping for Bobas then!

abraham linksys posted:

the thing that's really going to gently caress me up is moving to a split keyboard with thumb clusters, though, and relearning where certain keys have been moved. This keyboard puts the -=[]\ keys on raise/lower + jkl;' and that's been really brutal to learn; gonna be even worse moving to a Moonlander I bet.

What stops you from using the same raise/lower buttons and layers on a moonlander?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

got my first high-profile keycaps (/dev/tty mt3 triumph for my numpad), dang I like these scoops!!

LochNessMonster posted:

Guess I’ll be shopping for Bobas then!
One thing I'd add is that while I only have testers of Zilents and only have actually typed on Zealios and Bobas, ZealPC switches have tended to be a bit smoother than the Bobas if that matters to you a lot. Otherwise I am a big Boba fan.