Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gaz-L posted:

It's only January 4th and Trump's latest attempt to pervert democracy only takes up so much of the news-cycle.

Oh no is he still failing at what was accomplished in '00?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh no is he still failing at what was accomplished in '00?

Yes but in a new and exciting way.

e: Hey it's actually appropriate to this discussion because he's bringing an old scandal out of retirement to become the main scandal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Movies should be self-indulgent.

World is a gently caress. Indulge yourself, salaryman.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 5, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arist posted:

Birdman is self-indulgent
Oh god :jerkbag:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Maybe I misspoke. It'd be fine if it was self-indulgent if there was any truth anywhere in it instead of Iñárritu jerking himself off about how beneath him popular movies are and how the critics are parasites, maaaaaaaaan.

Iñárritu casting Michael Keaton in his movie, basically putting a shitload of resentment in his mouth over the role of Batman when Keaton clearly does not actually feel that way at all, really rubs me wrong.

Also the single take gimmick sucks.

e: legit baffled that people are saying Birdman is somehow a "fun" movie even outside of my distaste for it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Arist posted:

Birdman is self-indulgent, which is not the same thing as fun.
You can be both

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

From the Batman on film story about this, it sounds like Flashpoint is his gonna gently caress with the universe and replace the Affleck Batman with the Keaton version via multiverse poo poo.

My theory, since the rumor began of Keaton being in the movie, has been the movie will do the same bookends as Flashpoint, but the first Batman will just be Affleck and the last scene after Barry changes/fixes everything will be Keaton, down to Barry and Bruce not sure if anything changed at all. They might just make Affleck pull double duty for the Thomas Wayne role and have a big final sacrificial scene for an onscreen farewell.

Anyway, intensely funny how every site called like Superheroz Newz has been continuing to bait snyder fans with fake rumors of Affleck signing secret 7 movie deals and whatnot when this has, by all accounts, not-so-secretly been the plan at WB for a long time.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Batman: Into the Bat-Verse

Starring Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christian Bale, Will Arnett, Ben Affleck, Robert Pattinson, and the CGI zombie of Adam West.

Cameo appearances by Kevin Conroy and Will Friedle.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arist posted:

if there was any truth anywhere in it
Wtf? No popular character actor has ever felt creatively constrained by their mainstream work/persona?

No one in Hollywood has ever struggled to establish themselves in theatre/TV/etc?

No one's ever had the gifted upstart take their work for their own? Or lose control of the creative process?

Keaton's creative struggles are really understandable.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Kevin Conroy played Batman in Crisis on Infinite Earths. He need not be a mere cameo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62GpdErpjr4

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Space_Butler posted:

My theory, since the rumor began of Keaton being in the movie, has been the movie will do the same bookends as Flashpoint, but the first Batman will just be Affleck and the last scene after Barry changes/fixes everything will be Keaton, down to Barry and Bruce not sure if anything changed at all. They might just make Affleck pull double duty for the Thomas Wayne role and have a big final sacrificial scene for an onscreen farewell.

Or like Hal Jordan's appearance on JLU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg1tadX5hZs&t=37s

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Arist posted:

Iñárritu casting Michael Keaton in his movie, basically putting a shitload of resentment in his mouth over the role of Batman when Keaton clearly does not actually feel that way at all, really rubs me wrong.

this is really weird and reads like you're saying the movie is trying to gaslight it's main star or something.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I'm guessing he'll be training a Batgirl, maybe with a Red Hood villain.

Edit: oh I guess that's the rumor on Twitter too. O just figured it was easier to write in crossovers for Babs than Terry.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 5, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FilthyImp posted:

Wtf? No popular character actor has ever felt creatively constrained by their mainstream work/persona?

No one in Hollywood has ever struggled to establish themselves in theatre/TV/etc?

No one's ever had the gifted upstart take their work for their own? Or lose control of the creative process?

Keaton's creative struggles are really understandable.

Not really interested in a protracted argument about this so I hope this ends it, but:

What creative struggles? The movie is transparently about what Iñárritu feels, not Keaton. Plus, based on reading interviews like this and seeing him return to the role of Batman this much later, Keaton seems totally at peace with everything the movie is using him as a prop for.

Also, you're weirdly hostile to me every time I post in here and it's really offputting.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arist posted:

What creative struggles? The movie is transparently about what Iñárritu feels, not Keaton. Plus, based on reading interviews like this and seeing him return to the role of Batman this much later, Keaton seems totally at peace with everything the movie is using him as a prop for.
One, you're weirdly removing any agency Keaton had for choosing to work on the project.

Two, the conflicts I noted were explicitly the conflicts of the character Keaton portrays in the film. I cop to not being clearer on that, and I apologize.

quote:

Also, you're weirdly hostile to me every time I post in here and it's really offputting.
Yeah, no idea why someone kramering in with
:agesilaus: oh, so self-indulgent :agesilaus: is offputting

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

quote:

Not really interested in a protracted argument about this so I hope this ends it, but:

Keaton is an actor getting paid to play pretend in a movie. He read the script before filming. You've got this really weird fantasy going on in your head where Iñárritu and by extension the movie have somehow duped Keaton into playing the role.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not removing Keaton's agency. I'm not saying he got duped. That's not even close to what I'm suggesting and I have no idea where you got that idea. I'm saying he was cast for a purpose. Keaton is there to intentionally draw parallels between his character in the movie and the real world Michael Keaton. It's just a gimmick, and one that removes me from the film because I know Michael Keaton does not feel that way. I'm not saying it's bad because poor Michael Keaton, I'm saying it's bad because the parallel is fundamentally flawed and shows that the director is talking out of his rear end.

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, no idea why someone kramering in with
:agesilaus: oh, so self-indulgent :agesilaus: is offputting

"kramering in here" I've been posting in iterations of this thread for like, five or six years at least, dude, why are you such a dick?

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Arist posted:

I know Michael Keaton does not feel that way.

Again this is really weird. You can just say you don't like the movie instead of developing a weird head canon where the movie is actively disrespecting Micheal Keaton/Batman somehow.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ghosthotel posted:

Again this is really weird. You can just say you don't like the movie instead of developing a weird head canon where the movie is actively disrespecting Micheal Keaton somehow.

I explicitly say in that post that I don't think that, can you read?

also I did just say I didn't like the movie and people attacked me for that too, jesus

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Arist posted:

I'm not removing Keaton's agency. I'm not saying he got duped. That's not even close to what I'm suggesting and I have no idea where you got that idea. I'm saying he was cast for a purpose. Keaton is there to intentionally draw parallels between his character in the movie and the real world Michael Keaton. It's just a gimmick, and one that removes me from the film because I know Michael Keaton does not feel that way. I'm not saying it's bad because poor Michael Keaton, I'm saying it's bad because the parallel is fundamentally flawed and shows that the director is talking out of his rear end.

"kramering in here" I've been posting in iterations of this thread for like, five or six years at least, dude, why are you such a dick?

Keaton was cast to draw that parallel because people recognize him as having been Batman then disappearing for thirty years. Not because he wanted to trick anyone. At least not anymore so than casting John Wayne in True Grit was tricking anyone. You've got a weird hate boner for this movie and nothing you're saying makes any sense.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vince MechMahon posted:

Keaton was cast to draw that parallel because people recognize him as having been Batman then disappearing for thirty years. Not because he wanted to trick anyone. At least not anymore so than casting John Wayne in True Grit was tricking anyone. You've got a weird hate boner for this movie and nothing you're saying makes any sense.

I'm not saying this. I'm not saying any of the things you people think I'm saying. The first sentence of this post does not actually contradict my position, because it's part of my position.

I don't have a hateboner for it, people just jumped up my rear end for saying it's not good. God. I'll stop.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Arist posted:

You, as the viewer, are drawing those parallels. I think it’s just as easy to say that Keaton was cast because he fit the role well, or maybe that the role was written with someone like him in mind- an actor who could draw on real world experience and act like they are bitter about doing that instead of more “artistic” work.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe Keaton is like Harrison ford and will put his personal feelings about it aside for a check now that he's older and poorer, or like mark hamill who has come full circle and is now okay with embracing it

site fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 5, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I have clearly given people the wrong impression about how big a problem this is to me. Like, I don't know that it's even in the top 5 things I don't like about that movie, it's just the first thing I thought of.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arist posted:

I don't have a hateboner for it, people just jumped up my rear end for saying it's not good. God. I'll stop.
Look I'll drop it here, but I want to be clear that the reason you're getting heat for it isn't because you think it sucks or whatever. It's because you posted with the equivalent of saying "It's pretentious".

Had you just gone with something like the one-take was too gimmicky or that Keaton's presence kept drawing you out of the film then it'd be easier to discuss.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I've never seen Birdman but I can say with 69% certainty that I don't like it, based purely on how weird people are being about it rn.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BrianWilly posted:

I've never seen Birdman but I can say with 69% certainty that I don't like it, based purely on how weird people are being about it rn.
This post smells like BALLS

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I think Birdman's pretty good. :shobon:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Without Birdman we would not have gotten Keaton as The Vulture

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The United States posted:

Without Birdman we would not have gotten Keaton as The Vulture

Is this a world where we somehow don't have to deal with the Sony live-action Spider-verse?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A world without Venom is a world I don't want to live in

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm rewatching Apocalypse and boy is it not good. Nightcrawler not being able to teleport through a fence, Scott's eye beams setting a tree on fire, some really bad cgi in the pyramid collpase. yikes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you eyepunch things hard enough the energy transfer would start a fire.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Soonmot posted:

I'm rewatching Apocalypse and boy is it not good. Nightcrawler not being able to teleport through a fence, Scott's eye beams setting a tree on fire, some really bad cgi in the pyramid collpase. yikes.

Watch Dark Phoenix next and Apocalypse will look like a masterpiece.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Watch Dark Phoenix next and Apocalypse will look like a masterpiece.

thankfully it isn't on D+

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
you know what's *very cool* how instead of being a highly skilled pickpocket who's only caught because she picked the pocket of a literal psychic, Storm just grabs a big handfull of cash after making a strong breeze and then needs to be rescued from a couple dudes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jamesman posted:

Batman: Into the Bat-Verse

Starring Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christian Bale, Will Arnett, Ben Affleck, Robert Pattinson, and the CGI zombie of Adam West.

Cameo appearances by Kevin Conroy and Will Friedle.

You forget Dietrich Bader. He's been the voice of Batman for a while.

Apocalypse is such a waste of everyone and everything. It was Fox saying "No we absolutely refuse to do the things people like about these characters!". Except Angel, no one likes Angel.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I choose to believe that Bruce Wayne helps finance a slapdash camp version if the Batman's adventures to control the marketing (West version) and then allows a studio duology (Forever, & Robin) that's more campy and neon-y to make everyone outside of Gotham think the idea of a man dressed as a flying rodent is a lark.

Then, of course, Wayne Films gets bought out by Consolidated Designs and the grim Begins trilogy tackles the post-robin-death fury and rage of the Bat.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Apocalypse is such a waste of everyone and everything. It was Fox saying "No we absolutely refuse to do the things people like about these characters!". Except Angel, no one likes Angel.

They did another Quicksilver slow-mo scene, I feel like that's one of, if not the the only thing people liked about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TwoPair posted:

They did another Quicksilver slow-mo scene, I feel like that's one of, if not the the only thing people liked about him.

It wasn't as good though.