Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

That assault rifle doesn't even fit the whole retro future vibe. Looks more like a steam punk nightmare.

Lol Todd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The retro-future tech of Fallout 4 is one of the worst things about it.

From the dopey assault rifle to the tank that looks like a siege tank from starcraft to the balloon shaped APCs scattered everywhere to the ugly and nonsensical fighter jet designs.

I have zero idea what the artists were thinking with any of those choices.

They might have just used a regular jet from the 50s on the aircraft carrier city in Fallout 3, but at least those look like they could fly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The jets at Nellis AFB and McCarran airport look like F80s with fuel pods strapped to them. I like them.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Arcsquad12 posted:

The jets at Nellis AFB and McCarran airport look like F80s with fuel pods strapped to them. I like them.

Pretty much all of them had tip tanks like that already, the F-80A/C etc all did. It's actually a pretty good job at staying on-model as is.

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 5, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Retro-futurism should be reserved for more sci-fi stuff like energy weapons. You'd expect normal guns to be more...normal.

Although if they really want to stick to the retro 50s aesthetic, they could just take out assault rifles and make non-automatic rifles be the standard while your main automatic options are machine guns or SMGs.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Is FO4 worth beating at all? I was dumb and bought it on release when I should have known better.

I remember spending most of my time making my own fun by building my base because everything else was bland. I especially didn't like having a voiced protagonist.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I have more fun playing Fallout 4 as a scavenging simulator, I almost never touch the main quest. I just collect poo poo and upgrade my equipment/bases while amassing wealth until I get bored and move on to another game.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Retro-futurism should be reserved for more sci-fi stuff like energy weapons. You'd expect normal guns to be more...normal.

Although if they really want to stick to the retro 50s aesthetic, they could just take out assault rifles and make non-automatic rifles be the standard while your main automatic options are machine guns or SMGs.

Yeah I think Bethesda devs leaned wayyy too hard into the atomic era nonesense.

Like, there's an FN FAL in the old Fallout games and Gaston Glock invented the plasma pistol. It's a Glock. I feel like the devs of New Vegas understood this too, primarily because of the Service Rifle. The AR15 was invented in the 60s, it fits the aesthetic.

And Hell, the G3 and AK47 are present in Fallout 3 as assult rifles. Why on Earth did they make up that ridiculous water cooled monstrosity???

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
The real problems with the Fallout 4 assault rifle (aside from the hideous design in general) are:

1) the drat thing takes up like half the screen, it's huge

2) You don't see it until long after you already have an upgraded Combat Rifle, which in practical terms is superior in literally every way. Even if I wanted to use that drat thing, there's just no reason to!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Elderbean posted:

Is FO4 worth beating at all? I was dumb and bought it on release when I should have known better.

I remember spending most of my time making my own fun by building my base because everything else was bland. I especially didn't like having a voiced protagonist.
building your bases and doing the sidequests for whichever companions speak to you are the only two fun things in that game

like I had a blast running around with the snarky robot detective, the snarky reporter lady, and the robot butler for a couple hours each, that's the only truly memorable part of the entire game as far as I'm concerned

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

PinheadSlim posted:

The retro-future tech of Fallout 4 is one of the worst things about it.

From the dopey assault rifle to the tank that looks like a siege tank from starcraft to the balloon shaped APCs scattered everywhere to the ugly and nonsensical fighter jet designs.

I have zero idea what the artists were thinking with any of those choices.

They might have just used a regular jet from the 50s on the aircraft carrier city in Fallout 3, but at least those look like they could fly.

Would be kind of nice if they just moved the setting forward a bit so there was more civilization.

What are some good Fallout New Vegas Mods?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I've seen a lot of people in the New Vegas Modding thread have great experiences with the "Viva New Vegas" modding guide. I think it adds a ton of lore friendly stuff and quality of life improvements and is overall way more stable than vanilla. It looks pretty good to me.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3376713&perpage=40&pagenumber=735#pti6
https://vivanewvegas.github.io/

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah, Bethesda went hard on the retrofuturism angle with FO3. New Vegas toned it down and FO4 seemed to ramp it up.

I played the first one recently and there's not that much of a "Whoah THE 50'S" vibe relative to FO3. Shady Sands is built from mud, bricks, wood, and plaster. Most of the other settlements are made from scraps or sheets of metal. The original soundtrack is pretty bleak and moody, whereas FO3 made 50s music a big part of its marketing and set that expectation for the games that followed.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 5, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

PinheadSlim posted:

I've seen a lot of people in the New Vegas Modding thread have great experiences with the "Viva New Vegas" modding guide. I think it adds a ton of lore friendly stuff and quality of life improvements and is overall way more stable than vanilla. It looks pretty good to me.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3376713&perpage=40&pagenumber=735#pti6
https://vivanewvegas.github.io/

Doing my best here, but having some difficulty with the fact thatr I followed the guide perfectly and it just doesnt work?????

Edit: Derp ignore me, the only issue Im having is that the vanilla game it tells me to open with Mod Organizer doesnt do any of the pings but everything works with SKSE...don't know what that's about but ok

Everything's working, but when I spoke to sunny and got her gun, it basically turned my character into the slowest woman alive and she can only walk, not run regardless of what I toggle....

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 5, 2021

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Just thought of something else that the retro futurism ruins, the music. If we're going to have real world music then can we at least have more variety?

It just sucks that even though the world ended in 2077 that music apparently died in the 1950s and no one ever made anything new ever again. Boring and not very believable. At least throw in some Woodie Guthrie if you're gonna leave an Easter Egg that references him.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Doing my best here, but having some difficulty with the fact thatr I followed the guide perfectly and it just doesnt work?????

Edit: Derp ignore me, the only issue Im having is that the vanilla game it tells me to open with Mod Organizer doesnt do any of the pings but everything works with SKSE...don't know what that's about but ok

Everything's working, but when I spoke to sunny and got her gun, it basically turned my character into the slowest woman alive and she can only walk, not run regardless of what I toggle....

I followed this guide, or a guide he wrote to set up Tale of Two Wastelands. It works. Can you list your mods and load order? Also if you're using MO2, it exports that poo poo to a text file which I can help you find to make it easy.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Meridian posted:

I followed this guide, or a guide he wrote to set up Tale of Two Wastelands. It works. Can you list your mods and load order? Also if you're using MO2, it exports that poo poo to a text file which I can help you find to make it easy.

The only issue I had is that it told me to run it in regular FNV instead of the NVSE, but it doesnt load anything in the regular, and works perfectly in NVSE, so..you know, I dont really mind.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The only issue I had is that it told me to run it in regular FNV instead of the NVSE, but it doesnt load anything in the regular, and works perfectly in NVSE, so..you know, I dont really mind.

What should happen as part of the set up is that you throw in the NVSE files and a few other plugins, then launch from MO2, which should launch all of that correctly so you don't have to pick a particular launcher. Part of the set up should have you launch into the main menu and throw a few commands into the console to make sure that the plugins have loaded correctly. From there you can start to add actual mod mods. Honestly if you're already having problems I'd scrap everything, uninstall NV, delete all the stuff you downloaded and do the TTW set up. It's so much extra content and a lot of the really good mods for NV work. I actually have experience with that too so I can help you set it up.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Meridian posted:

What should happen as part of the set up is that you throw in the NVSE files and a few other plugins, then launch from MO2, which should launch all of that correctly so you don't have to pick a particular launcher. Part of the set up should have you launch into the main menu and throw a few commands into the console to make sure that the plugins have loaded correctly. From there you can start to add actual mod mods. Honestly if you're already having problems I'd scrap everything, uninstall NV, delete all the stuff you downloaded and do the TTW set up. It's so much extra content and a lot of the really good mods for NV work. I actually have experience with that too so I can help you set it up.

my man, literally everything works just in a different launcher. Is something bad going to happen if I load it through NVSE vs the original mode? It just works

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

my man, literally everything works just in a different launcher. Is something bad going to happen if I load it through NVSE vs the original mode? It just works

I mean is that what the guide tells you to do? If yes, then no, nothing bad will happen.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Elderbean posted:

Yeah, Bethesda went hard on the retrofuturism angle with FO3. New Vegas toned it down and FO4 seemed to ramp it up.
I think Bethesda just really thought that's the tone the series was supposed to have, ignorant at just how much they hosed up the feeling of the world. That, or they just don't care so they can giggle at greasers in a post-war setting.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

This was addressed upthread but I'm thinking of the combat rifle, not the assault rifle. My bad.

Combat Rifle:

Combat Shotgun:

Assault Rifle:

Edit: missed your opening comment, sorry!

I think the combat rifle/shotgun both look fine for what it’s worth. Really, I’m fine with the way the weapons look in Fallout 4 (other than the assault rifle)

Sheen Sheen fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 5, 2021

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got a quest notification at level 10, and it's taken me to the Honest Hearts DLC. Honestly not feeling it much - a few fetch quests and some boring caves, and irritating scenery to traverse. Guess I'll just plow through and get back to the main game.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Honest Hearts is paced weirdly and you can clear it in well under an hour.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bardeh posted:

I got a quest notification at level 10, and it's taken me to the Honest Hearts DLC. Honestly not feeling it much - a few fetch quests and some boring caves, and irritating scenery to traverse. Guess I'll just plow through and get back to the main game.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 5, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

What kills me is they get the quote wrong and make it sound worse.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
BRB, making my full line of "I don't enjoy killing, but when done righteously, it's just a chore, like any other." motivational memes and associated swag.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Sheen Sheen posted:

Edit: missed your opening comment, sorry!

I think the combat rifle/shotgun both look fine for what it’s worth. Really, I’m fine with the way the weapons look in Fallout 4 (other than the assault rifle)

I think the look for both is fine as well... though I have significant issues with both being practically identical. You don't have that many guns in your game to begin with Bethesda, at least try and make them more unique!

Also those pictures remind me of one of my biggest pet peeves about Fallout 4 weapons, the extremely dumb look for short stocks. Nobody cuts down a stock like that! It looks bad and is a worthless option for gameplay, why is every gun like this

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

TheLoneStar posted:

I think Bethesda just really thought that's the tone the series was supposed to have, ignorant at just how much they hosed up the feeling of the world. That, or they just don't care so they can giggle at greasers in a post-war setting.

I legit wonder if all the old Fallout media stuff they saw was just the first minute of Fallout 2's intro and decided that was all they needed to see.

Also, Fallout New Vegas did it better by actually having the BAR instead of that weird stubby thing from 4.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Sorry to keep harping on Fallout 4 (or the assault rifle specifically) in the NV thread, but what really gets me is that the assault rifle doesn’t even fit with the specific type of retro-futuristic look that Bethesda is obsessed with. It doesn’t look like something from the 1950s, it looks like some sort of steampunk abomination from World War I as was previously mentioned

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm gonna say something that's probably Verboten in the New Vegas thread, but honestly, while I know that from a gun nut perspective they're hosed up, I prefer Bethesda taking wild swings with guns than Obsidian's military fetish assault rifles*. That said, it's a personal preference, I don't think either is *wrong*, and I don't think you need to ignore how a gun would work (like not putting sights on the laser/plasma weapons, etc.) to make that work.

* I acknowledge there are some very good exceptions, and I'm only talking about the ballistic weapons, I think they did well in terms of the other weapon categories

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

When I see complaints about the F4 assault rifle, even though I agree with them, I just smile and think of the marksman carbine in NV getting a complete pass.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
What’s wrong with the marksman carbine?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A generic AR15 looks pretty out of place

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's a tacticool rifle if I remember right.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

In a game with almost zero other real world weapon designs past the seventies*, where the service rifle is a wood-stocked AR based off the earliest models, the next closest it gets is a rechambered contemporary Colt carbine that's otherwise unmodified & all of its "advanced" tech has the retro twist, the Marksman Carbine (and the All-American) are unmodified tactical oper8or 2000s M4s with ACOGs and Picatinny rails. The model could come straight out of a contemporary Call of Duty game, or go into it, with no visual changes at all. They're just as out of place in NV as the Assault Rifle's big cooling jacket is in F4's already-big-and-rounded-everything aesthetic.

I don't actually take issue with either one overall. I just view them on the same level. The games have inconsistent visual design and that's okay.

*the light machine gun as a Minimi is an exception, and the sequoia and hunting revolver may be as well if they're actually the BFR and not just a generic high caliber revolver

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I don't think it really looks that out of place? Other than the Marksman Carbine, you've got the Assault Carbine, the Anti-Material Rifle, the Riot Shotgun, the Light Machine Gun as modern-ish weapons, and of course this is a series where previous entries included the Desert Eagle, Pancor Jackhammer, P90, and H&K G11. The rails do set it apart, but not egregiously so imo.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I don't mind NATO/Cold War era stuff leaking in but would appreciate it more if they tweaked the visuals not to be some abhorrant retro steampunk nightmare but to actually cover the pre-apoclapyse setting where they had to improvise design slightly as plastic synthetics were impossible to mass produce due to the whole limited/no fossil fuels thing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Just use the AK-47, it’d be the only thing still working 200 years after nuclear war.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't think it really looks that out of place? Other than the Marksman Carbine, you've got the Assault Carbine, the Anti-Material Rifle, the Riot Shotgun, the Light Machine Gun as modern-ish weapons, and of course this is a series where previous entries included the Desert Eagle, Pancor Jackhammer, P90, and H&K G11. The rails do set it apart, but not egregiously so imo.

I agree—I don’t think it’s a 1:1 comparison between the marksman rifle and the F4 assault rifle. The marksman rifle isn’t really out of place when compared with Black Isle/Obsidian’s interpretation of the setting, whereas the F4 assault rifle sticks out like a sore thumb in relation to Bethesda’s “everything is the 1950s!!!” interpretation. It’s even weirder that Bethesda decided to go that route when they had not one, but two better-looking assault rifles that fit in with their aesthetic in Fallout 3. I suspect that it’s in part because of Bethesda’s design philosophy that seems to value cramming “cool ideas” into a game without thinking about how they fit together in terms of story/world design/ overall aesthetics/gameplay/etc., whereas Black Isle/Obsidian seemed to put all those things at the forefront when designing Fallout games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The actual problem with the Marksman is that it looks super boring.