Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

this is, of course, good

I just don’t know what they can do, or what dues are supporting, if there’s no collective bargaining, no grievance/arbitration process, etc.

I guess you can strike? but that seems so unlikely at a company that size, so I dunno, and still: what exactly are you striking over without a contract?

I guess what I mean, as I type this: if you have something to strike over, and you do/‘vote’ to, doesn’t that essentially become collective bargaining

just thinking out loud here

yeah it’s tough. they seem to be forced into doing something like this by lovely anti-worker laws that stop contractors from collective bargaining.

if someone is an engineer making $150k, you don’t have to be an anti-union ideologue to reasonably ask “what are you gonna do for me that’s worth $1500 a year?”

it’ll really be up to the organizers CWA has on the ground, and their whole team, to show that they can do something even without a CBA.

Google had a good culture of organizing walkouts and other actions, though, so I hope that can be enhanced by CWA’s open involvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

digging around on their website, it’s basically strike power or nothing

sure, slowdowns, etc. are an option but hard to manage without contract protection

should be interesting!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I know that Twitter isn’t political action but be sure to amplify them on social media, especially if you work in tech or have Googler friends

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlphabetWorkers/status/1346229430906048518

edit: oh this is a really good explainer https://collectiveaction.tech/2021/the-abcs-of-googles-new-union/

kingcobweb has issued a correction as of 00:17 on Jan 5, 2021

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Attempting to organise poo poo remotely sucks. I don't know what to do about new hires. Previously it was a piece of piss to talk to newbies. Now I don't even know who the new hires are. I think I'm going to have to resort to snooping through the email address book and seeing if new names have popped up, becaues our worker directory is a piece of poo poo.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

this is, of course, good

I just don’t know what they can do, or what dues are supporting, if there’s no collective bargaining, no grievance/arbitration process, etc.

I guess you can strike? but that seems so unlikely at a company that size, so I dunno, and still: what exactly are you striking over without a contract?

I guess what I mean, as I type this: if you have something to strike over, and you do/‘vote’ to, doesn’t that essentially become collective bargaining

just thinking out loud here

Some of the coverage I saw today said they were going to focus on "supporting employee activism". If they aren't trying to win collective bargaining etc then it sounds like you're giving 1% of your pay for a social club that writes medium posts about how execs are shitheads in the hopes it hurts their feelings or something and the Verge gives them a high five.

Also their website said that some unspecified portion of dues are being kicked back up to CWA for "required costs". Also to "pay for swag and travel".

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

mrmcd posted:

Some of the coverage I saw today said they were going to focus on "supporting employee activism". If they aren't trying to win collective bargaining etc then it sounds like you're giving 1% of your pay for a social club that writes medium posts about how execs are shitheads in the hopes it hurts their feelings or something and the Verge gives them a high five.

Also their website said that some unspecified portion of dues are being kicked back up to CWA for "required costs". Also to "pay for swag and travel".

it makes it substantially harder to fire a worker for activism if that worker is doing their activism while in a union, especially when that union would LOVE to make a massive court case out of getting a wrongfully-terminated worker reinstated

they’re paying dues so that cwa can send professional organizers there

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
we discussed the google union in our branch tonight. its weak and anemic but the reality is its the first real workplace organization at a big tech company like that ever so its a huge step forward and will hopefully help open the door and get more tech workers discussing the idea of unionization and workplace organizing

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I feel like we’re more or less conditioned to see these sorts of things (by which I mean it’s not a “full”, for lack of a better term, union) as like a do-nothing fireblock stifling real worker organization because that’s what it would be in a liberal dominated environment like the Democratic Party or similar.
However I have a lot of hope that this will be a powerful first step towards better things by virtue of it being labor-first and labor-lead. I mean we’ll see obviously, but I really do think it’s something to be happy about

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

digging around on their website, it’s basically strike power or nothing

sure, slowdowns, etc. are an option but hard to manage without contract protection

should be interesting!

From what I understand work slowdowns are only really effective in the public sector (bus drivers might not collect fare for example) or garbage pickup, city workers, road workers etc... If you show up to work for a private employer and slow down you can be legally fired for breaching your employee contract. Strike is your next option, and your last resort, first resort being unionizing amd asking your boss politely in the first place.

Ultimate answer is seizing the means of production and send the bosses packing putting the facility under worker democratic control but one step at a time.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

The Archaic posted:

From what I understand work slowdowns are only really effective in the public sector (bus drivers might not collect fare for example) or garbage pickup, city workers, road workers etc... If you show up to work for a private employer and slow down you can be legally fired for breaching your employee contract. Strike is your next option, and your last resort, first resort being unionizing amd asking your boss politely in the first place.

Ultimate answer is seizing the means of production and send the bosses packing putting the facility under worker democratic control but one step at a time.

i'd think slowdowns could work just fine in any industry with heavy safety regulation. usually those rules are structured to place blame on the individual so you're given basically carte blanche with your judgement on that

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

it’s nearly impossible to prove a ‘slowdown’ or sickout as long as everyone keeps off a paper trail. it’s not as hard as it sounds.

but it really only works with a contract to protect you

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

and yeah, putting poo poo like ‘dues pay for swag!!’ on that website is uh... an interesting tactic

if I were on the fence about voluntarily paying dues, and I read that website, I wouldn’t join

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

and yeah, putting poo poo like ‘dues pay for swag!!’ on that website is uh... an interesting tactic

if I were on the fence about voluntarily paying dues, and I read that website, I wouldn’t join

https://alphabetworkersunion.org/power/faq/

quote:

What do unions do besides negotiate pay and strike?
Historically unions have fought for issues from an 8 hour workday, to equal rights at work, to smaller classroom sizes. Inside of Alphabet, we hope to create a democratic process for workers to wield decision-making power; promote social, economic, and environmental justice; and end the unfair disparities between TVCs and FTEs.

What are AWU’s demands?
We are not organized around a list of demands or specific issues. We are an organization working to build a structure to create worker power. This work is about forming a system to create change; a power structure that allows us to bolster and back up demands made by ERGs and previous organizing efforts, and continue to drive new changes to make Alphabet a better place for workers.

What are the dues accomplishing?
We are building an active and growing group to mobilize large numbers of Alphabet workers. Dues cover costs like software infrastructure, printed material and swag, travel and expenses for assemblies, legal support, training and events, a strike fund, and paid staff to help coordinate the work. There are also contributions to CWA 1400 and the CWA international union to cover required costs, but this is a relatively small portion of the dues collected from Alphabet workers.

Not that those things are bad per se, but if you're trying to convince 10s of thousands of people to fork over 1-3k a year you're gonna need something a bit more concrete in terms of what you're fighting for "hope to create a democratic process for workers to wield decision-making power" sounds an awful lot like it might just devolve into a DSA chapter style of everyone bickering endlessly about the wording of a very stern statement about the lack of worker rights which capital quickly proceeds to wipe it's rear end with.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

mrmcd posted:

Not that those things are bad per se, but if you're trying to convince 10s of thousands of people to fork over 1-3k a year you're gonna need something a bit more concrete in terms of what you're fighting for "hope to create a democratic process for workers to wield decision-making power" sounds an awful lot like it might just devolve into a DSA chapter style of everyone bickering endlessly about the wording of a very stern statement about the lack of worker rights which capital quickly proceeds to wipe it's rear end with.

yeah this sounds weak. unions also (hopefully) defend you and provide a grievance process to help enforce your contract and prevent you from being singled out and punished for arbitrary reasons. my experience with unions was when i worked for the railroad and the main function of your local rep was to defend you in disciplinary hearings when you inevitably got written up for some sort of horseshit. that and trying to get people to fill out grievances when the contract got violated were the most direct experience we had with the union (outside of when the contract was being renegotiated).

hard to convince people to fork over dues when you can't even promise to be involved on the ground with them to represent them during worker/company conflicts. like i'd want to see explicit examples of what worker power etc look like to them.

obviously still a step forward and i assume computer job culture is pretty different than the long antagonistic history of railroad boss v worker culture

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

mrmcd posted:

Yeah I've become extremely skeptical of the whole "not having demands puts you in a stronger position" angle. Just say that you are advocating for better wages, hours, sexual harassments policy, job security etc. Stuff that everybody wants.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

ToxicAcne posted:

Yeah I've become extremely skeptical of the whole "not having demands puts you in a stronger position" angle. Just say that you are advocating for better wages, hours, sexual harassments policy, job security etc. Stuff that everybody wants.

yeah this is ultimately correct, demands are what lead to organization not the other way around. to get people to organize you have to have demands to organize for, doesn’t really work to say let’s spend a bunch of time meeting and planning for years and then we’ll figure out why we’re doing it later. seems obvious but a lot of people don’t realize this and it’s often time people who are more left in their politics because they just value unionization and so they want to convince people of unionizing for its own sake, but that’s not really what motivates people the majority of times to give up their evenings or weekends

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

updating my situation, our workplace is starting to sign cards and we have enough people indicating they'd vote yes that our unionization is likely to pass when a vote gets scheduled. this is very exciting stuff, it feels a little unreal that just months ago this was idle chatter among friends!! i can't wait to start the bargaining process and get some real protections in place...thanks again to this thread for being a great resource, and I'll keep posting once our vote is done to share the good news.

keep on fighting everybody!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

In Training posted:

updating my situation, our workplace is starting to sign cards and we have enough people indicating they'd vote yes that our unionization is likely to pass when a vote gets scheduled. this is very exciting stuff, it feels a little unreal that just months ago this was idle chatter among friends!! i can't wait to start the bargaining process and get some real protections in place...thanks again to this thread for being a great resource, and I'll keep posting once our vote is done to share the good news.

hell yeah!!! super happy that the thread could provide some sort of resource

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

awesome job, and keep it up until you have a good contract!!!

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

In Training posted:

Right on! Remember to try for at least 70% of your bargaining unit to sign cards. The number of employees who chicken out last minute and vote against a union is usually around 20% so you'll want that buffer for a guaranteed pass.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
more fun union busting from a "progressive" organization https://inthesetimes.com/article/animal-legal-defense-fund-busting-union-labor

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
if the alphabet union is going to be so ineffective, then why is this rear end in a top hat in the wall street journal so angry about it? checkmate

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Buck Turgidson posted:

Attempting to organise poo poo remotely sucks. I don't know what to do about new hires. Previously it was a piece of piss to talk to newbies. Now I don't even know who the new hires are. I think I'm going to have to resort to snooping through the email address book and seeing if new names have popped up, becaues our worker directory is a piece of poo poo.
I dunno how your remote work is setup, but where I'm at I've had luck getting myself invited to zoom meetings then reaching out to new folks or non dues paying people or whoever.

Downside is I get stuck in repeat meetings and die of boredom

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
send your prayers to Amazon warehouse workers in Alabama https://www.npr.org/2021/01/15/948819324/amazon-warehouse-workers-to-decide-whether-to-form-companys-first-u-s-union

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

that is amazing news. I'm sure amazon is going to go nuclear on their anti union campaign between now and the end of March, but I believe in the workers.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Tom Smykowski posted:

I dunno how your remote work is setup, but where I'm at I've had luck getting myself invited to zoom meetings then reaching out to new folks or non dues paying people or whoever.

Downside is I get stuck in repeat meetings and die of boredom

i can probably do something similar. what I'm thinking is i'll contact some of hte other union members and reps, float the idea of doing several smaller zoom meetings with other workers to just scope out what kind of changes people want to see, and also see whether there's support for things that were an issue in the past (pay, hours, work demands etc). Stuff like zoom just tends to be a shitshow with more than a handful or two of people, but if i can get even one more person to run a few meetings i think we could probably get at least a decent sample of the issues people have or the changes they want ot see.

the other thing is that past negotations have gotten bogged down because demands weren't specific enough or too open to interpretation. like the employer might do a survey, decide that we want to see "more pay" or something like that in the next agreement, but then propose an implementation so lovely or gameable by the employer that it's effectively useless. i've been looking at past agreements, and agreements from related busineses/industries, and i think i could come up with at least one concrete proposal on a non-controversial issue (like increased pay) that would get wide support.

the tough thing is that the labour laws here are very strict on strike/workplace action. you have to go to a formal ballot beforehand (and can only do this once certain bargaining/negotiation conditions are met), otherwise the strike action is illegal (lol). so you really have to make sure that if you propose seomting, that's it's got wide support from the people you work with. it's unfortunate because just the threat of closing doors for half a day, a day, two days, would make my employer poo poo their pants.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
for medium or large sized meetings in any situation just use stack which is basically people raise their hand and you write down their names in the order they raised them and then they get to speak when its their turn. if someone has already spoken a lot and they raise their hand before someone who has spoken none, you bump the person who hasnt spoken above the person who has spoken a bunch already so everyone gets equal access to time. over zoom, you can do this by using the raise hand function or just asking people to type their name into the chat window. can also ask them to specificy if they have a comment or a question so can bump the questions up to the front and they can then be answered in the discussion. it can take a while for people to get used to this if theyve never done it before but it leads to the most functional meetings ever and i legit get pissed off when im in work meetings because they dont use it and i just silently fume about how much better the meeting would be run if they used it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wanna bet they try and just shut down every single warehouse in Alabama.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

Wanna bet they try and just shut down every single warehouse in Alabama.

that would probably cost them too much. they’ve started a slick anti-union campaign: https://www.doitwithoutdues.com/

it even has a contact form on it. how helpful!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

kingcobweb posted:

that would probably cost them too much. they’ve started a slick anti-union campaign: https://www.doitwithoutdues.com/

it even has a contact form on it. how helpful!

havin fun spamming this

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
What are people's opinion on joining the IWW to just be in an union and have some type connection that can inform me about opportunities to volunteer and help other works to try and organize. I don't anticipate my coworkers trying unionizing anytime soon mainly because we are actually relatively compensated and moving forward my coworkers will likely be working from home even after the pandemic.

side_burned has issued a correction as of 21:31 on Jan 18, 2021

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

side_burned posted:

What are people's opinion on joining the IWW to just be in an union and have some type connection that can inform me about opportunities to volunteer and help other works to try and organize. I don't anticipate my coworkers trying unionizing anytime soon mainly because we are actually relatively compensated and moving forward my coworkers will likely be working from home even after the pandemic.

I don't have experience directly with the IWW, but it sounds like you're just looking for DSA.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

kingcobweb posted:

I don't have experience directly with the IWW, but it sounds like you're just looking for DSA.

I already joined DSA.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I always wondered about IWW, and what it’s like organizing with them

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

side_burned posted:

I already joined DSA.

i'm just not seeing what you want IWW to do that DSA can't do, with more membership to do it.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
the IWW doesnt really operate in the same way as a traditional union and while theyve organized some workplaces I dont think anyone would say they function like a union in most places theyre active. if theres an active chapter near you that is engaged with struggle and you agree with their approach then yeah I would say join. If there's not, you might still want to join but just like any organization where theres not already an active presence near you it will mean that it will be up to you to build it up and so then it becomes of a question of just do you agree with the IWW and its approach and want to build a chapter where youre at?

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

apropos to nothing posted:

the IWW doesnt really operate in the same way as a traditional union and while theyve organized some workplaces I dont think anyone would say they function like a union in most places theyre active. if theres an active chapter near you that is engaged with struggle and you agree with their approach then yeah I would say join. If there's not, you might still want to join but just like any organization where theres not already an active presence near you it will mean that it will be up to you to build it up and so then it becomes of a question of just do you agree with the IWW and its approach and want to build a chapter where youre at?

Reading up on the modern IWW they seemed less like a union more like labor focused network of activist. Which isn't a bad thing but being "One Big Union" seemed more like statement of their intent and not a statement of fact. I saw joining more as away of acting on my personal belief that all workers should unionized, even if my workplace was not. I don't know if that was worth while thing to do or not.

side_burned has issued a correction as of 02:34 on Jan 19, 2021

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
yeah I mean so then it’s the second part of my post, if they’re active around you and you like the organizations politics and focus then join. if they’re not active near you then know that you’ll be the one to have to build a presence in your area for the organization. basically it’s just a question of if you agree with their politics and approach. if you do reach out to them and you can at least talk to a recruiter and get a better feel for if you want to join or not.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
genuinely good union news: biden firing anti-worker rear end in a top hat lawyer peter robb is a victory for peter's sworn mortal enemy, champion of the people scabby the rat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

anyone heard of anything like a sign painters union or something along those lines?