Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

tick tock what time is it

IT'S SAGA TIME Y'ALL

A million thanks to Randalor for a ridiculously good gift. My wife will also thank you after the twelfth time I inform her it's Rezen o'clock. :mmmhmm:

Aw yeah, now is Thog time.

Incorrect, it is clealy Roy's time.

What bunch of joker, LARIAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Speaking of time, apparently FFL1-3 were released for the Switch last week and I didn't notice.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

JustJeff88 posted:

Speaking of time, apparently FFL1-3 were released for the Switch last week and I didn't notice.

This requires a celebration!

*puts quarter in jukegramophone*

BAH DAH DAH DAHT-DAH, BAHT DAH, DAH DAAAAAAH DAH

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Huh. I'm surprised Squenix is only charging $20 for literal Game Boy ports. That's positively restrained pricing by their standards.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Stumbled across this LP recently and read through it over the past week or so. Never got in to the FR goldbox games but I played the hell out of the Dragonlance ones. God bless Solamnic Knights and their stupidly overpowered sword/rose paths.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Jingle bells, Justine smells, Beezer laid an egg~

:mad:

Merry Christmas, everyone. :) I'll try to get the first update of Blades out soon.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Secret of the Silver Blades, Chapter 1: Look Out Below

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Oh, hey. Heckuva view from up here.

Yup.

OH MY GOD WHAT IS GOING ON WE'RE FALLING WHY ARE WE FALLING

REZEN WHAT DID YOU DO

WHY IS IT MY FAULTTTTTTTTT

...yeeeeah. Gonna need an explanation on this one.

Turns out when you wish for a hero, you need to specify "with gear."

Or clothes.

Where'd we get these barrels from, anyway?

Over there.

Oh.

Can I at least get a memo pad or something?

Yeah, I think we can swing that.

Journal Entry 37 posted:

We are a small town of miners in desperate straits. Three months ago we opened a new shaft and monsters boiled forth. Perhaps this is a gateway to the Abyss. In any case, we lost many comrades as the monsters have climbed up level after level of the mine. Now they are invading the nearby ruins. Soon they will reach New Verdigris.

To add to our problems, something has captured the Well of Knowledge. The Well imparts information, occasionally grants wishes and controls the teleporter in my house. If you free the Well, then you can use the teleporter to move through the ruins.

Once the Well is protected, you must descend into the mines and stop these horrors from emerging. Others have tried, but none have returned. You must save us before we are overwhelmed.

See? I told you it wasn't my fault! The whatsamajigger with the magic hoosit screwed up the gauntlet's power.

Ugh. Well, at least there weren't any side effects this time.

Who wants to tell her?

Not it.

:sigh:

Howdy, everyone! Welcome back to the Gold Box Adventures, and the beginning of Secret of the Silver Blades!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMUEFZXkmDA

...no, not that one.

There we go!

Anyway, Blades is pretty light on backstory and, as we'll see, story in general. Also, actual scripted encounters. Breather fights... small maps... fun... yes, Secret of the Silver Blades is a stripped down experience. And, as much as I would like it to be, that's not a pun for our party's current state.

In case you skipped the journal entry: a half-competent mayor using a dodgy wishing well has summoned an entirely nude party who may or may not be heroes, case depending. Everything seems to be humming along and not at all going off the rails.

WHAT

It's... it's not so bad! It's normal where I come from! No one would look twice!

Ugh. That is not a good color on you, Justine.

HRRRRRRRRRGH

Yes, everything is just dandy. Well, at least we found clothes.

Even better: clothes and gear!

I mean, it's not ideal, but these are still really good items. I'm willing to give New Verdigris a pass on this one. They are clearly on their last, desperate legs.

Oh well, let's make the best of it. We equip what gear we have, memorize spells, and reorder as necessary. Note that Rezen no longer has double the amount of Fireballs as usual. 2-3 per spellcaster isn't terrible, but we are going to miss hurling those things around like they're on sale at a dollar store. :sigh:

Let's get out there and see what's what!

Back atcha. :ocelot::grin:

Anyone else feel vaguely bad about this? We don't even know who these people are.

Uh, hello? They're lucky we're even doing this. I mean, these clothes are totally tacky. They don't even fit right!

Speak for yourself.

Who knew they'd have XXXXXXXXXXXXXXL pants?

More importantly, where did they get them from?

quote:

FOR gently caress'S SAKE WHO TOOK MY PANTS SHACK COUPON

:iiam:

Knock knock! Heroes here!

Saaaaaay. :heysexy:

Sternn.

Right. Nothing to see here. Moving on.

Wow. You backed down from that quick.

Well, I do enjoy being alive!

There's not much going on in New Verdigris currently. (Get used to hearing that.) Apparently, we have the keys to the city or something, because we can just barge right into people's houses. They even thank us for it.

See? It's actually kind of uncomfortable. This town is all in on us saving them. That's a lot of responsibility for a party that sometimes needs an instruction booklet to pick their nose.

Let's pester whoever lives here!

You seem to have adapted to the situation quickly.

It's basically muscle memory at this point.

'Sup, old timer.

Ah, you must be the new heroes the town wished for. Lemme take a good look at you.

Yup. We're screwed.

Journal Entry 17 posted:

The old town was said to be a fabulous place for a time. Was ruled by brothers, one honorable and forthright, the other a studious insecure mage. One day the mage decided he would live forever. The brother thought that was blasphemy and tried to stop him. War covered the valley and the town was laid waste. The gods cursed the valley and froze it over. These new monsters are just more of the valley's curse. We can only wait and suffer 'till the gods see fit to lift the curse.

Woah. That's metal as hell.

The darkness consumes us all, bite by bite. Our only solace is leaving a foul taste in its mouth. :black101:

Overdoing it a bit, don't you think?

Maybe a li'l.

:black101:

zzzz

C'mon, let's leave him to his nap.

You seem to have recovered, too.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm gonna feel really, really guilty if this place gets wiped off the map.

Woah. That is a first.

Yeah. So, I'm gonna grit my teeth, go out there, and save a town. I mean, given all that we've been through, what's the worst they could throw at us?

Y'know, you can probably get some hair dye at the item shop.

Don't push it.

New Verdigris has all the usual amenities and, of course, will be our home base for this mess. Besides a magic shop that's way too expensive for us and a vault to deal with inventory overflow, we have...

We should check if we've leveled up since Tyranthraxus.

Sure, might as well.

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME TRAINIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING

...what?

A MONDAY NIGHT PAAAAAAAARTY

We'll... we'll just come back later.

:guitar:

Oho.

Bartender! Beer me!

journal entry 6 posted:

One of the miners saw red robed figures outside the east wall.

Red robed figures? That sounds familiar...

Wait. Are you telling me the booze is free?

It's the least we can do for the saviors of the town!

:hf:

A few hours later...

Looks like we're getting an early start on ruining everything.

I mean, we might as well get it out of the way.

After much wandering, the party locates the local armory.

She's not kidding. Even the item shop is barely wheezing along. We appraise some of the gems we got from the mayor and use the proceeds to patch holes in our inventory. We may be ridiculously high level, but a positive AC is going to murder the death out of us no matter what. We need to fix that ASAP, but for now, we do the best we can.

Also, not everyone in town is taking this situation gracefully :stare:

All right, let's go see the Magical Well of Bullshit or whatever the gently caress is behind this.

*shuffles notes* It looks like the mayor's house will be the fastest way there.

Great! Let's go!

WE COMMANDERE THIS HOUSE UNDER MONICAN ENFORCEMENT

...what?

...what?

Hmm. Hey, wait a minute...

Journal Entry 47 posted:

Not long ago I served Hillsfar as a Red Plume. I was faithful and they made me commander of the city of Yulash. We were locked in a fierce war to protect that city from the forces of Zhentil Keep. The war tired me and I
began to yearn for peace. What finally decided me was the Cult of Moander. It used my city as a base to restore its dead god to life. Were it not for a band of blue tattooed adventurers the Cult might have succeeded.

I left as the ZHENTRIM attacked again and wandered north. Here I found my leadership skills in need, so became mayor of this peaceful backwater. Now that peace is threatened. I hope you have the power to protect us.

I remember you! We saved you from some spies!

Yup, that'd be me.

Strange how we didn't recognize each other before.

Well, I hadn't seen you without the tattoos. Or the clothes.

I wonder why we didn't recognize you?

WHERE ARE WE, WHO ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE

Never mind. Where's the teleporter?

Around back. Good luck.

I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE THIS DOOR WORK

You'll need it.

Convenient!

A little too convenient.

Like, why are you so suspicious of everything? It's a total bummer.

A little too much of a bummer.

...did you just make a joke?

I'm trying it out for once.

And?

And I hate it.

*zap*

Huh. That actually worked pretty well.

And there weren't even side effects!

Has anyone else stopped smelling smells?

Hell, I never started.

So. Right about now is the time Sternn says—

HEY I'M SURPRISED THEY DIDN'T HAVE A WELCOME WAGON READY

...that.

Bless bless bless.

Shanna?

You're blessed. You're blessed. All of you are free from sin.

oh no

OH NO

Don't worry everyone. I've got... an angle. :grin:

OH NO

Next Time: Dorkin' Man

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

The darkness consumes us all, bite by bite. Our only solace is leaving a foul taste in its mouth. :black101:

This is so metal I can just see the airbrushed van when I close my eyes.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
It has begun! Good luck, Chokes. Great to see this LP started. I remember plenty of scripted encounters though, starting with that one at the end of the chapter. But no world map or quite a few other important elements for this sort of game. :( Still quite a few side quests besides the main.

Realms Lore- New Verdrigris is a mining town, first featured in this adventure and a few others since. It’s built on other older city ruins- Old Verdrigris. The mine has a magic well and lots of gems. We’re north of the Moonsea region and northeast of the Dalelands where we we’re in the previous games. For now, that’s all I can say.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 4, 2021

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I guess that explains that song from Cake about why he's extremely detailed in the description of the girl he wants.

I always thought the song was someone being extremely picky and obnoxious, especially about clothes that are temporary. But now I see that Cake Has Played The Game Before and knows the price for just saying the short description.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FeyerbrandX posted:

I guess that explains that song from Cake about why he's extremely detailed in the description of the girl he wants.

I always thought the song was someone being extremely picky and obnoxious, especially about clothes that are temporary. But now I see that Cake Has Played The Game Before and knows the price for just saying the short description.

As always, when engaging with wish granting entities, be ridiculously specific because wish granting entities are complete dicks.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So, wait, they called upon the well of knowledge to summon heroes... well, okay, "heroes", but they don't have control of the well when you arrive. So how long was it between their wish for your arrival and your actual arrival? Long enough for them to lose control of the well and the enemy to fortify their hold on it? Or is this just a plot hole that we shouldn't poke at too much, lest we fall in?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Randalor posted:

So, wait, they called upon the well of knowledge to summon heroes... well, okay, "heroes", but they don't have control of the well when you arrive. So how long was it between their wish for your arrival and your actual arrival? Long enough for them to lose control of the well and the enemy to fortify their hold on it? Or is this just a plot hole that we shouldn't poke at too much, lest we fall in?

Noticing this is a pretty good way to ease into Blades tbh

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Randalor posted:

Given that the well seems to have physically lifted the party up, flown them over to the glacier, and then dropped them, it could easily have been the better part of a day or two. The people fighting over the well are tough enough that the people in the town wouldn't have had a chance at holding it.

That, or the well is even more of an rear end in a top hat. "YOU DIDN'T SAY YOU WANTED THE HEROES ARMED. OR CLOTHED. OR RIGHT NOW. FRANKLY, YOU'RE LUCKY I DIDN'T BRING YOU A BUNCH OF DEAD HEROES."

This game opens by dangling such an interesting premise: the possibility of some reverse dungeon action, where the enemies are ascending the levels and you have to push them back and set up defenses to hold what you grab. Shame that it can't actually manage to do interesting things with it. I think they spent so much time coding the well that they didn't have anything left for the rest of the game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I briefly played SSB back when I got the goldbox collection and all I remember is finding a +4 silver shield that also worked as a mirror(?) shortly in to the game, and then seeing that Myth Drannor was a location to explore, hoping to be able to assemble the Arm of Valor, and getting wrecked by encounters right off the bat.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I briefly played SSB back when I got the goldbox collection and all I remember is finding a +4 silver shield that also worked as a mirror(?) shortly in to the game, and then seeing that Myth Drannor was a location to explore, hoping to be able to assemble the Arm of Valor, and getting wrecked by encounters right off the bat.

You're thinking of Pools of Darkness. This game is much less interesting.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Chokes McGee posted:

You're thinking of Pools of Darkness. This game is much less interesting.

Oh, really? Guess I remember even less about this quadrilogy than I thought. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
It's at least nice to meet some people who acknowledge that you're the protagonists and actually try to gear you out for your job even if they can't necessarily give you the MEGA GEAR.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Ah, Silver Blades. My first introduction to the world of Dungeons And Dragons. Never got particularly far, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Never got particularly far

Gilgamesh255 posted:

I enjoyed it

:thunkher:

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
At least he didn't say he enjoyed Eye of the Beholder... That would be a serious red flag.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Played all 3 Eye of the Beholder games in my adolescence. Enjoyed 2 for its plot but not combat. The others were... ugh.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Wait what? Am I in some weird bizarro world? EoB 1 was v good, 2 was great, we don't talk about 3. Did you guys play on SNES or something???

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

At least he didn't say he enjoyed Eye of the Beholder... That would be a serious red flag.

the first two were great imo

but lol at trying to use the wand on the end boss

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Either you were all better at EotB than I was or my game was buggy because invariably, within 10 minutes of starting a new game, at least half my party would be dead. Every single time.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Either you were all better at EotB than I was or my game was buggy because invariably, within 10 minutes of starting a new game, at least half my party would be dead. Every single time.

Albu. Albu that is a copy of Bard's Tale you're playing.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Albu. Albu that is a copy of Bard's Tale you're playing.

Is THAT why you decided to continue with the Gold Box games instead of starting that Bard's Tale LP you talked about before? ;)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DGM_2 posted:

Is THAT why you decided to continue with the Gold Box games instead of starting that Bard's Tale LP you talked about before? ;)

Yes. Yes it is. Unironically.

Well, that, and to get the gimmick I have in mind I'd have to use the C64 version. Believe me, this is ... an impediment.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
One of my favorite non-complete LPs on the forums was one poster trying to do the early Bard's Tale meat grinder by replacing each dead character with a fresh one suggested by the thread. I am reasonably certain they went 30 pages deep and didn't even make it to the samurai statue.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The copy of Bard's Tale 3 I bought years ago had a bug where if you class changed a caster to the same job it turned them in to a warrior. A warrior who had access to every single spell in the game (but only when in combat).

Considering how much of a hellish nightmare grind BT3 is for a new party, you better believe I abused the hell out of that to level my party as fast as possible due to the high damage, low mp cost of geomancer spells and that earth elemental summons were strong as hell. You could also swap between caster classes infinitely so all my casters had 50+ points in every stat, mountains of hp/mp, and still got their poo poo wrecked by random encounters.

It also had a bug(?) that, after killing the crypt boss in skara brae, turned all casters in to archmages at their current level and backfilled their spells. Considering how powerful even 2nd world encounters were this probably was intended though.

No matter how bad these Gold Box games look at times, there were far worse options available.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Chokes McGee posted:

One of my favorite non-complete LPs on the forums was one poster trying to do the early Bard's Tale meat grinder by replacing each dead character with a fresh one suggested by the thread. I am reasonably certain they went 30 pages deep and didn't even make it to the samurai statue.

That LP was in fact completed and there is a payoff for it at the end of the run.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Chokes McGee posted:

Isn't that basically what this Let's Play did?

e: :argh:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ManxomeBromide posted:

That LP was in fact completed and there is a payoff for it at the end of the run.

my goodness :staredog:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

My stony heart melted into a puddle of adorable lava :kimchi:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Yes. Yes it is. Unironically.

Not surprised. And not blaming you in the slightest.

Any other older/retro RPGs you'd consider? Like Might and Magic, for example?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ManxomeBromide posted:

I started reading that and... my god, the first few updates are just a meat grinder. Is the gsme actually that bad, or is it just because of a self imposed challenge that its such a grinder at the start?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

I started reading that and... my god, the first few updates are just a meat grinder. Is the gsme actually that bad, or is it just because of a self imposed challenge that its such a grinder at the start?

It actually is that bad. There are lots of encounters around town that will wreck a starting party, and advancement is very slow.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Straight White Shark posted:

It actually is that bad. There are lots of encounters around town that will wreck a starting party, and advancement is very slow.

Yet, after they rereleased the trilogy with more modern graphics and lower difficulty, enough people still pined for an "authentic experience" that they put in a classic mode for the masochistic.

I will never understand such things.

Fake Edit: Also gobsmacked about the NES Bard's Tale LP because I remember that one. I will also add that the the Might and Magic games are indeed excellent LP games, and there is a whole series of LPs of them by Thuryl on the archives.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Randalor posted:

It is 100% that bad. It is an actual, honest to gods waste of time to fight for the cash to cast Raise Dead because it's so prohibitively expensive that you should just toss your character in a gutter and drop in a replacement—especially since they come with more cash than it takes to outfit them. You have to get to around Level 3 before you hit escape velocity and it becomes worthwhile to save one of your people.

This, not including the initial mad dash to the item shop before a party of monsters shows up and wastes you.

Boy do I love Bard's Tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
It's okay though one of your party members gives you a whole whopping -1 AC for around 10 minutes! Hope you like hearing eight bars of a vaguely familiar classical tune over and over and OVER and OVER AND OVER AND OVER

I am not joking in the slightest when I say I would rather play Blades a million times over than Bard's Tale.