Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Memento posted:

This is a behaviour that speaking to a therapist can assist you with, as it's doing you no good at all.

I'm not really looking to be talked out of it. I don't think an aversion to waste, decadence and frivolity is a bad thing.

Boba Pearl posted:

Do you look at tips the same way?

Literally yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Then yeah, a therapist would probably be the next step.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It sounds like you need a proper budget.
Set aside the amount you want to save for the future first each month, then budget a set amount of your remaining money for whatever personal expenses.

Then you can spend that :10bux: without worry, knowing you already did all the work for the budget, you already committed however much money to your savings this month, and you're on track to meet your savings goal of $X by Y date.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

dog nougat posted:

Mostly I'm just curious why there seems to be some sort of shift from cartons for milk to plastic jugs as far as something more locally available/sourced is concerned.

Honestly this feels like it happened twenty years ago, maybe thirty. Gallons never came in paper cartons, did they?

The more interesting thing is that they bothered to make screw top milk cartons as a new invention, rather than going entirely to plastic jugs.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Not sure where else to put this question: What's the deal with AMLO (president of Mexico)?

I have a hard time placing him on any political spectrum but maybe this is because I'm lacking context for Latin American politics. His rhetoric seems nationalistic, but the anti-corruption drive (successful or no) and the way he seems to be against historical revisionism doesn't really gel with classic nationalism. He's fiscally and socially conservative from what I can tell, but its strange to see austerity start with government perks and infrastructure instead of first cutting stuff like education and social services. Is he just a center-right politician who talks a good game? Explain to me, a dumb European.

E:Or please explain if I got something wrong

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 4, 2021

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Methanar posted:

I'm not really looking to be talked out of it. I don't think an aversion to waste, decadence and frivolity is a bad thing.

Literally yes.

The problem is, what constitutes waste, decadence, frivolity? It's the rare romantic partner who prefers to only dine on ramen and toast on date night, or who is happy always playing go-fish on a battered old deck of cards instead of catching a show.

What do you plan on doing with the money you save? Invest it, sure. But when will you use it? In 20 years, won't you have the same thoughts as you do now about how spending it is wasteful and you should keep letting it grow?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

e: wrong thread.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think of durable goods like this: if I am ever going to buy the thing, I should buy it now and use it for the rest of my days.

Compound interest cannot bring pleasure to life already lived.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Methanar posted:

Am I the only one that sees price tags not as they are, but instead as being 10x'd, the result of a given principal undergoing 30 years of compound interest at 8%?

I feel constant guilt for spending money on anything knowing the real cost to me not investing the money properly instead. That 10 dollars today is 100 dollars of future financial security.

Sounds unhealthy.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

If you feel constant guilt about spending money on nice things for yourself then you actually should talk to a therapist about it, you are missing out on enjoying life because number could go up.

If you have enough money to be truly decadent then you have no need to be saving money anyway!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i mean, if you thought that way, why would you spend it in 30yr? if the allure now is the gain in 30yr, imagine the allure of the far greater gains you'd feel at year 30 of another 30yr.

money is no good if you don't spend it. i mean, don't go wild and spend it all, sure. but at some point you have to use it. otherwise it's useless.

furthermore, spending it now could very well give you far more enjoyment than spending it in 30yr. i have no idea what your life is like, but generally, spending now, if you can, is preferable to spending later. would you rather take that vacation now at age 35, when you're healthier and can party a bit more, or when you're 65 and your body has most likely limited you in ways? same with a car, clothes, etc.

furthermoremore, who the hell knows where you are in 30yr, if you're alive, what inflation does, etc.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 4, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

dog nougat posted:

Why doesn't milk generally come in cartons outside of the uht pasteurized/lactose free varieties anymore? Is it just that plastic jugs are cheaper, or is there some other reason? I know that there's some amount of vitamin A loss due to something happening with exposure to light with transparent plastic jugs vs an opaque container, it seems to me that a carton is generally a better solution than plastic outside of the difficulty recycling them vs plastic jugs.

Milk in plastic if super weird to me, as a Dane. I don't think I've ever seen it outside of American media and possibly travel. Some milk brands over here are making a small deal about abandoning the plastic lid because it's dumb and wasteful.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Cardboard milk cartons is some seriously backwards poo poo. One litre of milk? Don't make me laugh.

BonHair posted:

Milk in plastic if super weird to me, as a Dane. I don't think I've ever seen it outside of American media and possibly travel. Some milk brands over here are making a small deal about abandoning the plastic lid because it's dumb and wasteful.

Cardboard milk cartons are lined with plastic so plastic on your milk is probably all you've ever known. Until very recently indeed, and it's still the case in most places worldwide, Tetrapaks couldn't be recycled with other cardboard.

This post was sponsored by the plastic milk jug gang.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Methanar posted:

Am I the only one that sees price tags not as they are, but instead as being 10x'd, the result of a given principal undergoing 30 years of compound interest at 8%?

I feel constant guilt for spending money on anything knowing the real cost to me not investing the money properly instead. That 10 dollars today is 100 dollars of future financial security.

Where on Earth would you expect to get an interest rate of 8% in this day and age? You might as well feel guilty for spending a quarter because the light glinting off of it might have attracted a mermaid to come over and introduce herself. Redo your calculation with rates that actually exist in the real world (for example, the very best rate on Chase's site is 0.05%, and that's for a ten-year CD with a quarter million dollars in it) and don't forget to factor in thirty years of inflation.

Don't get me wrong, saving money is a very good thing, but you are absolutely not throwing away a future fortune every time you buy groceries.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dog nougat posted:

Why doesn't milk generally come in cartons outside of the uht pasteurized/lactose free varieties anymore? Is it just that plastic jugs are cheaper, or is there some other reason? I know that there's some amount of vitamin A loss due to something happening with exposure to light with transparent plastic jugs vs an opaque container, it seems to me that a carton is generally a better solution than plastic outside of the difficulty recycling them vs plastic jugs.

The jug wasn’t cheaper in 1998, but within a few years, secondary pressures were mounting to move to plastic.

The paper this comes from is mainly about environmental impact, where the two are similar.

Here’s an industry article with quotes packaging sales reps talking up their product.

Here’s an article about the threat paper carton makers faced in the dairy sector and how they were diversifying into dry goods.

No one liked that gable-top cartons are unstackable and cannot be reclosed.

“Bottles, jugs and cartons — what can one deliver that the others can’t? We invited several suppliers of packaging and related components to weigh in on this broad topic.”

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 4, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

milk in cartons is still super common here in california and in the previous place i lived (nyc) they were also super common

maybe its a regional issue?

Platystemon posted:

No one liked that gable-top cartons are unstackable and cannot be reclosed.

many cartons now open via a plastic spout that is inserted into the cardboard, and are thus recloseable:

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 4, 2021

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Re-folding the spout of a gable-top carton does a pretty good job though? I mean I wouldn't transport it after opening but it keeps the milk fine in the fridge.

Also here in the PNW I see a lot of plastic jugs but still plenty of cartons. Since milk in most places is a largely localized product chain, I imagine it varies a bit by the local availability / popularity of paper.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Does the forums search function allow for exact phrases? Quotation marks don’t seem to do it

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

El_Elegante posted:

Does the forums search function allow for exact phrases? Quotation marks don’t seem to do it

Seems to work for me with quotes

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Powered Descent posted:

Where on Earth would you expect to get an interest rate of 8% in this day and age? You might as well feel guilty for spending a quarter because the light glinting off of it might have attracted a mermaid to come over and introduce herself. Redo your calculation with rates that actually exist in the real world (for example, the very best rate on Chase's site is 0.05%, and that's for a ten-year CD with a quarter million dollars in it) and don't forget to factor in thirty years of inflation.

Don't get me wrong, saving money is a very good thing, but you are absolutely not throwing away a future fortune every time you buy groceries.

https://www.blackrock.com/ca/investors/en/products/251422/ishares-sp-500-index-etf?switchLocale=y&siteEntryPassthrough=true

Over the last 120 years the US stock market has averaged 8% growth per year. So I buy sp500. The last couple years however have been blowing 8% out of the water because of late stage capitalism reasons

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Seems to work for me with quotes

Seems to be a smart quotation marks issue, thanks iOS

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

So because I'm stupid, I decided to buy a refurbished office chair online and I absolutely hate it: fabric was not what it was supposed to be, it's an earlier model than what it should be, etc. I can return it but the part that makes me stupid is that I didn't have any foresight into how much it costs to ship back something that large and heavy. UPS and Fedex make it seem like it's literally $400+ to ship (original package says 50lb, 31x30x21 inches) which is almost the price I paid for the chair itself. Anyone have any experience shipping back large items like that / any cheap shipment alternatives?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is there a way to change the order in which previews of other windows are listed? Like, when you have several windows open from the same program, you hover your mouse over it and it displays all the windows of that program you have open. This is in Windows 10, I should mention.

I'm not sure how to explain what I mean, but I think this image will help.

In this example, I would like the Music window to appear second, and the Cilla window be last.

I do this podcast thing and sometimes I need to have as much as 15-20 Audacity windows open at a time. The problem is, the most recently opened one always goes to the last of the line, and that can be really frustrating because I want the windows to be in a specific order -- music, environment, ambience and such would be in the front, while ACTOR1, ACTOR2, ACTOR3, ACTOR4 etc. would be in sequential order after. After three hours of this, opening and closing windows as they are needed or not needed or whatever, eventually this becomes disorderly and I have to close them all and reopen them in the proper order if I want to have that ease of organization. But surely there is a way to just reorder them? I can't drag and move their positions, and I don't know what else to try.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Methanar posted:

https://www.blackrock.com/ca/investors/en/products/251422/ishares-sp-500-index-etf?switchLocale=y&siteEntryPassthrough=true

Over the last 120 years the US stock market has averaged 8% growth per year. So I buy sp500. The last couple years however have been blowing 8% out of the water because of late stage capitalism reasons

late stage you say

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

When my partner scratches an itch on my back the itch seems to "run away" from her fingers. Anyone else have that?

What's going on there?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mak0rz posted:

When my partner scratches an itch on my back the itch seems to "run away" from her fingers. Anyone else have that?

What's going on there?

I've had that when I try to scratch my own itches; I feel like usually it happens on my fingers, though. No idea what's happening, but I'm also curious about what's going on.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

credburn posted:

Is there a way to change the order in which previews of other windows are listed? Like, when you have several windows open from the same program, you hover your mouse over it and it displays all the windows of that program you have open. This is in Windows 10, I should mention.

I'm not sure how to explain what I mean, but I think this image will help.

In this example, I would like the Music window to appear second, and the Cilla window be last.

I do this podcast thing and sometimes I need to have as much as 15-20 Audacity windows open at a time. The problem is, the most recently opened one always goes to the last of the line, and that can be really frustrating because I want the windows to be in a specific order -- music, environment, ambience and such would be in the front, while ACTOR1, ACTOR2, ACTOR3, ACTOR4 etc. would be in sequential order after. After three hours of this, opening and closing windows as they are needed or not needed or whatever, eventually this becomes disorderly and I have to close them all and reopen them in the proper order if I want to have that ease of organization. But surely there is a way to just reorder them? I can't drag and move their positions, and I don't know what else to try.

7+ Taskbar Tweaker allows you rearrange grouped items. Just select 'drag within groups...' and you can then reorder using the 'task inspector' in the app.

https://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tw...on%20available)

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Mak0rz posted:

What's going on there?

My guess is that you're not as sure about the location of the itch on your back as it feels like you initially are, so your brain is narrowing down it's location as someone tries to scratch it.

That's totally unfounded but it makes sense to me.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

This is probably one of those questions that sounds idiotic to anyone who knows the answer, but is it possible for a layman to learn how to identify music notes by ear? Like you're listening to a person singing on the radio and you know it's G# A# B C# etc. If so how is it done?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Methanar posted:

If you buying SP500, you’re buying TSLA.

Never buy TSLA.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Manager Hoyden posted:

This is probably one of those questions that sounds idiotic to anyone who knows the answer, but is it possible for a layman to learn how to identify music notes by ear? Like you're listening to a person singing on the radio and you know it's G# A# B C# etc. If so how is it done?

That ability is called “perfect pitch”, and it’s rare.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Platystemon posted:

That ability is called “perfect pitch”, and it’s rare.

my brother and i are both musicians, he was born with perfect pitch (or at least has had it since we were little kids) but i dont have it. there are supposedly programs to "learn" it but they all give off scammy vibes to me

intervals, scale/chord types and progressions, anyone can learn to identify by ear.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, most people get by on learning to identify the distances between notes so they only have to know one note to be able to identify the others. Having said that that's still a skill that takes a lot of time and effort to learn to do well!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

How fixed is search? In the awful app I find I have to attempt a search sveral times before it returns anything. Is that what everyone is getting?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I didn’t even think you were able to search on the app. Where do you access it?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

On the sidebar where it says search. It's a bit finicky and counterintuitive to use though.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

There’s a sidebar? How the hell do I bring that up? Am I using an outdated app or something? :lol:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Scarodactyl posted:

How fixed is search? In the awful app I find I have to attempt a search sveral times before it returns anything. Is that what everyone is getting?

The indexing seems good, but it just fails for me maybe a third of the time with “search took 0.00 seconds to complete”.

When it does that, it works a few minutes later, though.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

RCarr posted:

There’s a sidebar? How the hell do I bring that up? Am I using an outdated app or something? :lol:

The menu button in the upper left corner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Methanar posted:

If you’re talking about “should I buy an affordable house/vehicle/overcoat instead of a luxury option and invest the difference,” that’s a rational point of view. If you’re worrying about every can of beans, you probably need help with this habit of mind.