Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Beep photobombing dramatic conversations will never gets old to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whats really great is that Cat Lon goes neutral after that

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
"Oh well, I guess it was good for at least one thing after all. :awesomelon:"

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

:discourse:

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Crab Tournament is amazing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

crab raiders best raiders

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
a pretty great kenshi "movie" narrated by Nurse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u6snmQNTRQ

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I started playing Kenshi again and got started in the United Cities. It's been a really fun feast-or-famine kind of playthrough. There's a lot of money to be made between standard opportunistic looting and selling captives to slave shops or turning in bounties. But then everything else is a capricious prick just waiting for an excuse to bully you, i.e. the KenshiTM experience.

I leave the town walls and run into a skimmer that can flatten my squad in seconds. Manhunters debate whether I'm easy prey and worth capturing I always am. A noble hunting party and his retinue of samurai can just decide to hunt me down for sport. "Heroes" in this part of the world are just assholes who can apparently beat me up without impunity. Gate guards will plant contraband on me and then shake me down for a bunch of cats.

I can't wait to one day return to this rear end in a top hat part of the map and burn everything to the ground.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

moot the hopple posted:

I started playing Kenshi again and got started in the United Cities. It's been a really fun feast-or-famine kind of playthrough. There's a lot of money to be made between standard opportunistic looting and selling captives to slave shops or turning in bounties. But then everything else is a capricious prick just waiting for an excuse to bully you, i.e. the KenshiTM experience.

I leave the town walls and run into a skimmer that can flatten my squad in seconds. Manhunters debate whether I'm easy prey and worth capturing I always am. A noble hunting party and his retinue of samurai can just decide to hunt me down for sport. "Heroes" in this part of the world are just assholes who can apparently beat me up without impunity. Gate guards will plant contraband on me and then shake me down for a bunch of cats.

I can't wait to one day return to this rear end in a top hat part of the map and burn everything to the ground.

I did not know gate guards could plant contraband on you. That's so Kenshi :allears:

Running over to that large battlefield where the UC and Holy Nation troops are always fighting, stealing the weapons off of unconcious paladins and running back to sell them in UC territory is an ok way to make money while training athletics, strength and/or stealth.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I picked this up over the Christmas sale. Plugged in the Nookrium current Vanilla plus constellation of mods. I've been on youtube before so I figured I knew what was up. I did not, but that's ok.

It's day 27 and I have not picked one fight yet. I've deftly turned one feeble man from terrified iron minor barely able to fill a single makeshift backpack, into a 5 man mining and logistics squad. I've revitalized the Hub with my research shack across from the Bar. The traphouse next door has been restored to be a building with boxes. I've also made a positive impact on Squinn by injecting the local economy with as many iron plates as I could pump out before my first bandit warning.

Yes I know it's a loss when I factor in the cost of the building materials I bought to make the furnace. It still generated value while I sat in my apartment reading books, so I sent my dudes to do it. I also bought the Shinobi Gym Membership and I get why people don't. It's kinda a chunk of change for something that doesn't really help. But it has been a nice crutch as a thing to assign my dudes when I don't know what to do with them.

Thank you for listening to my ted talk. My two recruits have like 60 farming so this is all culminating in a disruption in Shark where I'm gonna harvest all their food and take it to Hub to process.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

KirbyKhan posted:

I picked this up over the Christmas sale. Plugged in the Nookrium current Vanilla plus constellation of mods. I've been on youtube before so I figured I knew what was up. I did not, but that's ok.

It's day 27 and I have not picked one fight yet. I've deftly turned one feeble man from terrified iron minor barely able to fill a single makeshift backpack, into a 5 man mining and logistics squad. I've revitalized the Hub with my research shack across from the Bar. The traphouse next door has been restored to be a building with boxes. I've also made a positive impact on Squinn by injecting the local economy with as many iron plates as I could pump out before my first bandit warning.

Yes I know it's a loss when I factor in the cost of the building materials I bought to make the furnace. It still generated value while I sat in my apartment reading books, so I sent my dudes to do it. I also bought the Shinobi Gym Membership and I get why people don't. It's kinda a chunk of change for something that doesn't really help. But it has been a nice crutch as a thing to assign my dudes when I don't know what to do with them.

Thank you for listening to my ted talk. My two recruits have like 60 farming so this is all culminating in a disruption in Shark where I'm gonna harvest all their food and take it to Hub to process.

you pay for shinobi access not for the training dummies necessarily but for the vendors and for the ability to sell goods to the fence. it will not only allow you to buy fantastic backpacks but it will let you sell contraband for very satisfying prices and eventually pay for itself.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

also for the convenience of having a bunch of free beds in a large selection of towns, and the face/hair/renamer changer guy.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Currently playing a solo game where, after I built my Athletics high enough, I went to Mongrel and started jumping in when the guards fought the fog men and also sneaking around big packs of them to build up Stealth.

Then assassinating Fog Princes and selling their heads to buy decent gear, before starting to pick fights with gangs of Fog Men. I also started buying up masterwork quality cybernetics before deliberately getting my arms and legs eaten off and replacing them.

It turns out that if you have 80+ athletics and two masterwork scout legs plus masterwork samauri leg armour you can basically do whatever the gently caress you want. Attack Okran's Fist? Sure! Just run in, start chopping up paladins and stealing their gear, then once your chest/stomach start taking too much damage you just nope out and run and nobody can ever catch you thanks to your 40+ mph run speed. I am running around with a Skeleton Smith III Falling Sun and it allows for scything down of entire packs of enemies though efficiency definitely drops once injuries pile on and strength drops below 46.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Edit: oops crosspost

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does anyone here play with the Genesis mod pack? I like a lot of the bundled mods, but some of their modified locations feels very janky. I was trying to kidnap the cannibal grand wizard, and they have him stuck in this big white boxy tower. The mesh or something is really hinky in there, none of the cannibals aggroed me when I was spotted, and my characters would get stuck just trying to walk down a ramp.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Patrat posted:

Currently playing a solo game where, after I built my Athletics high enough, I went to Mongrel and started jumping in when the guards fought the fog men and also sneaking around big packs of them to build up Stealth.

Then assassinating Fog Princes and selling their heads to buy decent gear, before starting to pick fights with gangs of Fog Men. I also started buying up masterwork quality cybernetics before deliberately getting my arms and legs eaten off and replacing them.

It turns out that if you have 80+ athletics and two masterwork scout legs plus masterwork samauri leg armour you can basically do whatever the gently caress you want. Attack Okran's Fist? Sure! Just run in, start chopping up paladins and stealing their gear, then once your chest/stomach start taking too much damage you just nope out and run and nobody can ever catch you thanks to your 40+ mph run speed. I am running around with a Skeleton Smith III Falling Sun and it allows for scything down of entire packs of enemies though efficiency definitely drops once injuries pile on and strength drops below 46.

have you tried fighting many beak things?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

if you're solo, I'm pretty sure attack slots is limited to 1 for melee so 1 is the same as 50 - i.e. the solo player has a big advantage. it's when you have a bunch of melee try to engage a bunch of beak things that you have a bad time, due to the ridiculous splat radius.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
How can you even build up toughness when playing solo? Seems like a high chance of bleeding out in recovery coma.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Power Walrus posted:

How can you even build up toughness when playing solo? Seems like a high chance of bleeding out in recovery coma.

Very carefully. You have to build up toughness a little bit at a time but fighting hungry bandits, or whatever fairly weak group you come across that has blunt weapons. Those won't cause bleeding, which is the main source of wound degradation. Even goats will probably put you in a coma long enough to kill you. Then once your KO point is decent enough that you run a much lower risk of simply falling into a permanent coma, you can take on more dangerous enemies and start standing up once knocked out for Big Gains. It's very much a snowball stat that, once you have a lot of toughness, you can stand against the enemy longer, absorbing more damage and standing up after falling with no risk of permanent injury.

Alternatively you can "cheat" and have a gopher character safely back in town to patch you up during this ultra fragile stage, then discard them once you are swole.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I love the idea that in Kenshi, rather than break wood planks or stone blocks as they advance to martial arts mastery, fighters stay still while others strike them. School of Maso indeed.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

another alternative to the peeler machine or the fogmen posts is to just, y'know, let stuff eat you. rush in with another character to rescue them when the desired de-limbing is complete, or if it looks like it's getting out of control.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

The fact that anything, literally anything short of straight up death, makes your characters stronger in the long run is the best part about kenshi.

Oh no my hiver lost a leg. Get ready to run at highway speeds after I steal a masterwork skeleton limb.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Every other game: You failed, eat rear end.

Kenshi: You failed, get even.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it really is unique, I wish more games would try something like this rather than OOPS YOU DIED RELOAD Y/N

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yeah it's extremely good game design, even if its very rarity means it took some getting used to

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Power Walrus posted:

I hear slave start is the pro strat. Get beaten up, but also healed by the guards.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

and remember, every start is the slave start if you want it to be

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I love this game. I broke from my usual slave start/cannibal plains/Leal LP copycat run, and explored the southeast as a Son of a Captain. There’s just so much diversity in weird alien mad max landscapes and creatures. It’s really neat and has so much charm. Stobe’s Gamble is such a freaky mysterious place.

The bandits are a lot more fun over there than what I’m used to in the swamp/border zone/UC territories. I was only mad at the Reavers for not taking me out to fight more. If you’re gonna enslave me, don’t let me just sit around! There’s a whole world of acid lakes and land bats and skeleton bandits out there!

Kenshi 2 when

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Bug Squash posted:

I hear slave start is the pro strat. Get beaten up, but also healed by the guards.

Rebirth is actually a dojo with free room and board where you carry rocks to get swole and sneak out at night for ninja training. You finally become the sensei when you're able to beat up every guard and lock them up in their own cages.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it is so satisfying when you finally are ready to break every single slave out together :unsmigghh:

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

Flesh Forge posted:

and remember, every start is the slave start if you want it to be

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Kenshi: every start is the slave start if you want it to be

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Hey can I shill my mods here? One in particular is a bugfix making sure that fixes that Deadcat fishing village east of Black Scratch that isn't supposed to be Deadcat.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
So are the robits from reprogramming workshop chasing me across the entire world intended behavior? I don't mind, just led them through a city to get wrecked by all the guards, but it seemed kinda weird. A conga line of 20 skellingtons homing in on me no matter how far I got, and for some reason they would also stealth whenever I stealthed

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Yeah that's their thing. Their outside your control though, but you can repair and equip them with stuff. I think if you give them first aid kits they might heal you too.

Also, gently caress it;

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2348787545

Fixes the fishing village.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm sure nobody minds about mod info being posted

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
So can I not repair a house until I research the house type. Wanted to expand Shinobi Dojo with the L House next door and my dudes just won't start the repair. No materials required in the lil pane just the private/public button.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

you don't need any tech research to repair a purchased house, but there are ruined houses in a lot of areas that can't be repaired, the only ones that you can repair are the ones you have bought.
e: if you're in the Hub I don't know what would be the problem, I'm pretty sure all the houses in the Hub are eligible and can be rebuilt. Restart/Reload the game maybe?

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 11, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that really shouldn't be giving you this kind of problem. Ruined townhouses are something completely different from player-built housing, so as long as you have the necessary construction materials, it shouldn't make any difference what your research looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Gonna bite that 10k investment of buying a house inside of a house and the house it was inside of. There are many other hosed up houses in Hub.

Later on gonna try and import do the big NPC import to refresh the Hub guards. Hopefully that fixes it, because doing a search on how console commands work in this game is black magic I am not prepared to learn.