Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

It’s really only about 1/3rd of the data that you have to download.

That's not too bad. That said I think I'll wait until at least the January update they were talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That's not too bad. That said I think I'll wait until at least the January update they were talking about.

I'd say that's the best call.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i thought errant signal did a decent vid on the evolution of watch dogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdEL4pf9tlg

quoting myself because Noah Caldwell-Gervais just made a large video on Watch Dogs as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaI1BgNTy8k

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

quoting myself because Noah Caldwell-Gervais just made a large video on Watch Dogs as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaI1BgNTy8k

got a tl;dw summary? i played a bit of WD2 yesterday, cause I always wanted to like that game, but it just doesn't have the level design a game like it needed. half the time when you're trying to figure out how to access a data point (skill point), there's no clever or interesting solution. you just gotta find the hole that leads you to it. I just don't think they had the time given the schedule of these games, and how big the map is. (this in contrast to CP77 where you can feel everything was handcrafted, despite the size and density)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 5, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rinkles posted:

got a tl;dw summary?

I haven't watched it, it was just posted. I'll watch it at some point but I'm not interested in the series. NCG's criticism is very in-depth and good, but also aimed at people who like that sort of thing (Rogers, Matthewmatosis, etc) in longform.

The Errant Signal vid is much more to the point. And I think the tl;dr there is W_D1 is edgelord trash, W_D2 is a more lighthearted step in the right direction, and W_D Legion is a lighthearted unfocused step in the wrong direction.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
WD1 is edgelord trash, WD2 is a step in the right direction, WDL is treading water while also adding a character generator that only has a random button

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Matthewmatosis is the only one I watch with any regularity, I've mostly given up on anything longer than an hour. His recent stuff has been more digestible.

His "Sonic" video might be my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnVAguMh8bw

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I had never heard of Tim Rogers until his really long Death Stranding review but I loved that.

The pacman review is the best one imo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Matthewmatosis is the only one I watch with any regularity.

I really respect his style of criticism even though I often don't align with his positions. But yeah, also Super Bunnyhop, Errant Signal, Dunkey, Tim Rogers, Noah Caldwell, Danny O'Dwyer, and James Howell (who now only streams on twitch though his older MGS and TLOU stuff is very good).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

The pacman review is the best one imo

It's so good!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Forgot Bunnyhop, he might be the best of the bunch. Dunkey strikes me as a bit of a twat, but I'm not gonna say that I don't enjoy some of his stuff.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Skill Up, Jimquisition, Dunkey, and Zero Punctuation are the only video game reviews that respect your time. Dunkey has also been going off the deep end lately and I think his last batch of videos have been very funny.

Hbomberguy and Super Eyepatch Wolf are great longform videographers about video games and anime but they dont really do anything i would consider a review

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Check out ThorHighHeels, his tastes align with this thread pretty well. Very underrated channel.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Dunkey has also been going off the deep end lately and I think his last batch of videos have been very funny.

Yeah, it was pretty great. It was like an easy way to add content during a time of year where there are no new games and simultaneously a good way to mock the current content creation landscape that has pretty much alienated all the people who actually put effort into editing/writing their poo poo rather than just pumping out reaction/unboxing vids and 24hr cross-promo celeb livestreams. Seems like everyone who makes decent content has had to set up a patreon just to survive.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That one yoga ball long form game reviewer has been getting pretty popular lately, but his opinions on games are not good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

That one yoga ball long form game reviewer has been getting pretty popular lately, but his opinions on games are not good.

...yoga ball?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Augus posted:

...yoga ball?

NakeyJakey

his opinions and videos are The Best, actually

especially his Red Dead 2 video which i've watched multiple times. i couldn't play more than about an hour and a half of that game before completely giving up on it. it's an open world game that holds forces your hand through every agonizing step that it becomes the antithesis of fun.

even Last of Us 2 which i loved and was my favorite game of 2020 gets extremely fair criticism from Jakey.

and he's loving hilarious regardless of whether you agree with him or not.

edits:

- added links to the videos mentioned which are highly recommended.

- also, since we're talking about youtube video game people we like i gotta throw a bone to Joseph Anderson who made a 2 hour video about why Breath of the Wild is kinda poo poo. it's really thorough and well done, and helps me not feel like an insane person for being extremely disappointed in that game despite loving the Zelda series in general.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 5, 2021

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
god drat RDR2 was a good game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

NakeyJakey

his opinions and videos are The Best, actually

I think this guy is really tedious, tbh, and additionally he makes a lot of bad faith arguments

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i think he goes to pretty extensive lengths to back up his claims with careful analysis and analogies to help illustrate his points

goons tend to hate criticism, so i'm not surprised his videos aren't well liked here

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

For those anticipating potential 2021 GotY contender Ys 9 there's a demo up in PSN now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/jonbernhardt/status/1346336080795152384?s=09

Edit: oh wait that's ys viii

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

“Goons hate criticism” is maybe the wrongest series of words ever assembled in a sentence.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Ys 8 was pretty dope though with the whole island survival thing the story had going for it. Then it got really weird towards the end of the game but still fun. That and Ys Origins were pretty good games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

“Goons hate criticism” is maybe the wrongest series of words ever assembled in a sentence.

Yeah it should be "Goons hate criticism of games they like"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Bad opinions on games used to bother me too, until I realized something very important: Anybody who has a different perspective than mine is simply an idiot who doesn’t know what they are talking about, and should be pitied.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's how I feel about Dunkey yeah

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think its weird that theres a market for people who review games they know they probably wont like, for other people who know they probably wont like that game, to prove to people who do like that game, that they're wrong

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, especially in the PS4 thread AKA: Everyone derides and mocks every game people play unless they are VideoGames, in which case we offer them our support and energy to charge the Spirit Bomb no questions asked.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

rabidsquid posted:

i think its weird that theres a market for people who review games they know they probably wont like, for other people who know they probably wont like that game, to prove to people who do like that game, that they're wrong

Indeed. Everybody has different taste, and the reviews don't usually feel to me I guess fair and balanced. But what would be I guess, we all have our unique quirks and interests.

Plus anybody reading a game forum, we already know what's up. We've mastered games, clearly, so other than Mega64 which isn't really for video game content, I dig podcasts and stuff on other topics.

I think part of why retro B-movie reviews and stuff are so appealing, it just feels more appropriate than slamming the latest thing. It's charming or something. If the new game is notably hilarious to roast, it'll be ready in 15 years at the earliest. Let it simmer.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 5, 2021

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
I don't know what the consensus on his channel is but I really like ACG for reviews. He's one of the few people that I've seen extensively talk about sound design for every game in some level of detail, and appears to me to be pretty balanced and gives things a fair chance when he reviews.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ACG is cool because his reviews show quite a bit of completely mundane gameplay, not just the flashy prerecorded bits, so it's easy to determine if you'll enjoy the actual act of playing the game on a moment to moment level.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

SpunkyMonkLord is the only voice in gaming I can really trust anymore tbh

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Tim rogers is gonna review and playthrough to completion, every patch for cyberpunk

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Watching the Tokimemo review led me to watching his DQ11 review and now I have decided I am probably going to play that one after all (probably after I finish Yakuza LAD)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Watching the Tokimemo review led me to watching his DQ11 review and now I have decided I am probably going to play that one after all (probably after I finish Yakuza LAD)

Tim Rodgers does what Ichiban't can't don't!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Yakuza Like a Dragon is the best Dragon Quest game and the best Yakuza game too.

I trough this was also a rule for Hero Protagonist, of Snow Crash fame, but It seems I am wrong.

Edit:
anime comment, Akudama Drive is a nice serie

Tei fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 5, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Tei posted:

anime comment, Akudama Drive is a nice serie

This is now on my to-watch list. Looks good!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

goons tend to hate criticism, so i'm not surprised his videos aren't well liked here

just lol at this after we've been talking for an entire page about quality examples of youtube game crit.

there's an absurd section of the nakeyjakey 2LOU vid where he compares 2LOU's interactive relationship to violence with bioshock infinite's, which is already dishonest approaching cringeworthy, then goes on to cite a Bruce Strailey quote where Strailey hypothesizes about how to create an uncharted/tlou quality game that doesn't contain shooting in order to highlight other mechanics. nakeyjakey then seizes on that quote to ask: "in light of that quote, other than killing people in very violent ways and maybe sneaking around them to avoid conflict altogether, what other interesting core mechanics are in this 25-30 hour game?" he smashcuts to black and doesn't answer his own question because he knows he's being wildly disingenuous, but i'll answer it for it for him:

some interesting game mechanics explored in 2LOU off the top of my head:

throwing snowballs
using ropes and extension cables in clever ways
examining objects/multi-page notes
swimming in both placid water and raging tidewater
opening literally every drawer
engaging in optional dialogue prompts
operating a boat
collecting coins/collecting trading cards!
saving formerly endangered animals
standing in cafeteria lines
tossing your hat
examining objects in a museum
playing a guitar/being unable to play a guitar
breaking glass!
riding a horse
reading diagetic maps and journals
managing vertigo/conquering vertigo
cracking safes
pushing objects for height advantage
using movable cover items
playing with dogs
walking around with a baby

If you ask me, Naughty Dog provides a richly detailed scenario where everyday violence is often accepted as a necessity, contrasts that terrible violence with various simulation lifetasks that are almost exclusively engaging and emotionally compelling, and then asks of us: do we as players who happen to live in a world where everyday violence is NOT in fact a necessity...do we really want such violence to be all that we accomplish in games, or do we desire connection and narrative fulfillment on other levels? My answer would be 'I want something more'... but please after Factions 2. :grin:

In my opinion, and surely only time will tell, 2LOU's ending serves as the real answer though, a sombre and regretful renunciation of violence both within the narrative and in the context of the game's design, since with Druckman's move away from game director to co-president we have almost certainly witnessed the end of the series and the final word on these characters.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

Tim rogers is gonna review and playthrough to completion, every patch for cyberpunk

that is insane, thematically perfect, and absolutely something he would do