Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Viscous Soda posted:

I think there was someone bragging about reaching 50k a few hundred pages back (I think it was CliffordakaMiku?), that's the largest number I've heard. I'm sure there's other people out there who have spent more though, given that people had already dropped 30k on SC way back in 2015, so I'd be surprised if 50K was was the biggest whale.

I found that article recently and looked up that guy's reddit posting history and youtube videos to see if he's still an active player. I'd love to know how he feels about his "pledge" going on six years later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Because in Elite understanding "scale" is a problem.

I think this is bigger / same size as the Idris' "railgun".

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

no_recall posted:

I'm pretty sure Robert Space said the whole of Elite would fit in a standard sized delivery shoe box in SC. I trust his word above anyone.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

no_recall posted:

Also, who cares how "big" something is in a video game? I firmly expect them to put in laser seagulls in to convey scale next, but scale is impressive to us cause it makes us feel small in comparison, insignificant. In a video game without VR with scaleable assets, a fixed camera and the option to go third person, this feeling is lost.

If they open the editor and remove the decimalpoint the railgun is suddenly bigger than new Babbage, Amazing!!!! Buy more!

It's just a loving slider, mate

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

NumptyScrub posted:

I would, however, knock them for the shadows pointing right on the left of the screen, and pointing left on the right side of the screen. Especially for "the most fidelitous space sim ever", I'd love to hear which actually real thing they simulated here :magical:

It's simulating being a game

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/aeG8DO3.mp4

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

awful

thank you :laugh:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Titanic posted:

Thanks. This is one of those things I never heard before so I just have no memory to base what it may sound like on.

If you've ever heard or seen videos of the A-10's little peashooter, it's very much like that, except much shorter since it just goes through half a dozen concrete blocks rather than a couple hundred rounds.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Late to the party, but :lol::lol::lol: at the star citizen shadow conspiracy. Pay a bit of attention to the real world

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

:reddit: posted:

CIG Telemetry data shows average load times have doubled since 3.7, and average performance has decreased every patch since 3.9.

For reference, I strongly encourage everyone to check this out and play around with the archives:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/telemetry

It's official (although often incomplete) performance data.

The two things that jump out the most are 3.7 -> 3.8 nearly doubling load time, and 3.9 -> 3.12 each steadily ramping up CPU requirements for a given FPS tier.

Pre-3.8 FPS data appears to be unavailable, but this matches my personal/anecdotal experience. Do we have any speculation for the overall reduction in performance?

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/DjGy4nHs.png[/img]"]
You know CIG made this for them first, right? They know all this. They see all of it. They just gave it an interface for us.

I'd suggest the last thing we need more of is useless speculation on a technical issue that CIG is well aware of -- and the only ones capable of knowing or acting on them.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It's just a loving slider, mate

Please buy an Idris. It will definitely change your perspective.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Flannelette posted:

Huge rail gun that shoots tiny disco ball which hits with power of a fart.

I’m not sure the projectile would be visible, let alone trackable with a camera. Aside from the ridiculous puff of smoke that looks like a rejected effect from the first Mortal Kombat game, the impact surface is completely undamaged, leading to one of those ‘this game will never work’ moments.

I’m trying to imagine the computational power required to accurately model a hyper velocity railgun round being fired from geosynchronous orbit at a moving target into deformable terrain and my brain turned into mush.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Torquemada posted:

I’m not sure the projectile would be visible, let alone trackable with a camera. Aside from the ridiculous puff of smoke that looks like a rejected effect from the first Mortal Kombat game, the impact surface is completely undamaged, leading to one of those ‘this game will never work’ moments.

I’m trying to imagine the computational power required to accurately model a hyper velocity railgun round being fired from geosynchronous orbit at a moving target into deformable terrain and my brain turned into mush.

I'm pretty sure someone would complain that the projectile isn't visible. It is a dumb game, people want to see big dumb projectiles flying around and exploding (instead of poo poo randomly exploding because invisible projectile hit it)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Torquemada posted:

As soon as it hits atmosphere, it should create a plasma wake and trail that would give it away.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Bit late, but someone asked about what a high effort tweet is and none of you linked Uncle Derek. Shame on you.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The Titanic posted:

Thanks. This is one of those things I never heard before so I just have no memory to base what it may sound like on.

upon re-watching the video i would update my opinion to more of a "BRRRRRRRRRRRM". i think what's so compelling about it to me is that it sounds like an electronic noise, like something that would happen when the beat drops in a dubstep song, yet at the same time there's an almost organic quality to it, like a trillion angry bees flapping their wings in unison for just a moment. and the brevity of it is also powerful--it's not like a videogame gun that has a long noisy charge-up, firing noise, and then a big "laser screaming through space" noise, it's just off, then suddenly 100% on, then off again.

it is a good sound

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

upon re-watching the video i would update my opinion to more of a "BRRRRRRRRRRRM". i think what's so compelling about it to me is that it sounds like an electronic noise, like something that would happen when the beat drops in a dubstep song, yet at the same time there's an almost organic quality to it, like a trillion angry bees flapping their wings in unison for just a moment. and the brevity of it is also powerful--it's not like a videogame gun that has a long noisy charge-up, firing noise, and then a big "laser screaming through space" noise, it's just off, then suddenly 100% on, then off again.

it is a good sound

Since the round is just a slug, the only noise generated after firing (which in itself is relatively quiet since it doesn't use chemical propellants) would be atmospheric disturbances/sonic boom and the impact noise as it strikes the targets in rapid succession.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Liveware posted:

Is that the sound the railgun makes, or the sound hitting a dozen spaced steel plates makes?
metal plates, the gun itself just goes 'bam' like other cannons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62F_QISVX-0

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
What's the point of them?
Is it like a science experiment type deal or dick waving? I can't see how valid it would be rocking up to a war with a building in tow, is the end goal to get them on tanks or something?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The railguns in Children of a Death Earth are pretty kickass, you can still get it for $2.50 on Steam for a few more hours. Incredibly realistic and grognardy, but a ton of fun to gently caress around with.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

Is it like a science experiment type deal or dick waving? I can't see how valid it would be rocking up to a war with a building in tow, is the end goal to get them on tanks or something?

Warships I think. They're the only things that can carry a suitable power supply around.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

no_recall posted:

I always thought Railguns were hitscan weapons. When did it become a turd firing cannon?

Realistically, nothing would be hitscan at 40km except a laser.

A lot of recent posting in here has been a real stretch to find something to criticize.
While the screenshot with the trees is ugly because of draw distance, sparse lighting effects, and general lack of detail in the terrain, the shadows are completely fine in terms of accuracy.

I don't find much to take issue with with the railgun either. At the huge distance that the video is mostly shot from it of course looks fairly unimpressive. I did think that it looked pretty good from that one close-range view of the impact from the ground. It really felt like it flew in like a bolt from the sky and the resulting explosion was pretty good if a bit underwhelming due to there being no terrain deformation.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

peter gabriel posted:

IRL they are being considered for naval warfare, so replacing the big house-size cannons they already have I guess?

Also re: the shadows thing it has already been pointed out how much of a huge dumb idiot I am, I'm off to console myself by buying an Idris :ughh:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

As others wrote, it's considered by navies as missile replacement. The projectile would cost much less than a missile and it would be much harder to shoot down. On the other hand, railguns need a LOT of energy and they wear out quickly.

NumptyScrub posted:

Also re: the shadows thing it has already been pointed out how much of a huge dumb idiot I am, I'm off to console myself by buying an Idris :ughh:
Nah, it was me who pointed at those shadows first. I guess I was misled by SC's fidelity.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 5, 2021

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

Put one on a destroyer and it can fire over 100 miles. Great for marine fire support.

Also when they were making the railgun for ground based fire support they realised it could be use for defence against anti-ship weapons.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Railgun wank is always fun because it's a future technology that actually works and is really interesting but also has no discernible way to solve the fundamental problem that they really want to destroy themselves every time they're fired.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Khanstant posted:

Ohhh, right, I see what you're saying. Something that big could be impressive to build because of the massiveness of it but modeling wise it's just the same polygons with bigger math of "scifi space ship gribble #23425457."

I honestly catch myself kind of falling for this trick for videogame statues sometimes. when it's just taking existing character models and scaling it up and replacing the textures with a stone/metal material. i think dragon age inquisition had one of its single player mmo maps with these massive mountain-sized dogs making this massive scale earth monument no civilization could or would ever build. Outside of wow, which by default overscales it's buildings to a certain signature play-skool chunkiness, I think that's the furthest I've seen the ol' scale-up

Yes. If you make a whole level out of what looks like a giant dog, it's not really just a model of a giant dog scaled up. It's probably broken into lots and lots of pieces with different LODs and rendering and dynamic level load logic inside it to make the dog look huge but also be a whole level inside it.

They didn't just model the whole level in some modeling program and also it into the engine and call it a day, that wouldn't work for a vast number of reasons.

But what this is is effectively a model of a cellphone, and somebody said "oh let's make it big!" And scaled up the cellphone by 1000. Now it's just a really big cellphone. It's probably not doing anything crazy, and hopefully still has whatever LODs you've made for it, but it's not big enough or complex enough to warrant special attention where it needs to be broken up into unique pieces to eventually all come together to make what looks like a cellphone, it's just straight from whatever model to whatever engine with whatever LOD it either came with or the engine made for you.

But ymmv, so do what makes it cool in your head. :3

On the comical side, given the scaled-down nature of SC characters, it's possible that big gun is the size of a normal pistol in other games using CryEngine. :)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Rynoto posted:

Railgun wank is always fun because it's a future technology that actually works and is really interesting but also has no discernible way to solve the fundamental problem that they really want to destroy themselves every time they're fired.

That sounds like a problem for the taxpayers, not me

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Breetai posted:

Derek Smart alt detected.

I'm still Best Alt. :wtchris:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

On the comical side, given the scaled-down nature of SC characters, it's possible that big gun is the size of a normal pistol in other games using CryEngine. :)

I'm not sure that's actually been proven, but I'd be curious to know if someone could actually measure SC assets against other CryEngine/Crysis assets that purport to be the same size.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fidelitious posted:

Realistically, nothing would be hitscan at 40km except a laser.

A lot of recent posting in here has been a real stretch to find something to criticize.
While the screenshot with the trees is ugly because of draw distance, sparse lighting effects, and general lack of detail in the terrain, the shadows are completely fine in terms of accuracy.

I don't find much to take issue with with the railgun either. At the huge distance that the video is mostly shot from it of course looks fairly unimpressive. I did think that it looked pretty good from that one close-range view of the impact from the ground. It really felt like it flew in like a bolt from the sky and the resulting explosion was pretty good if a bit underwhelming due to there being no terrain deformation.

The whole point of a railgun is to accelerate the payload as much as possible

quote:

For instance, while Gerard O'Neill built his first mass driver in 1976–1977 with a $2000 budget, a short test model firing a projectile at 40 m/s and 33 g,[2] his next model had an order-of-magnitude greater acceleration[3] after a comparable increase in funding, and, a few years later, researchers at the University of Texas estimated that a mass driver firing a 10 kilogram projectile at 6000 m/s would cost $47 million

That's talk about building one that could launch the projectile at 6km/s in the 70s, in real life Now, in most sci-fi settings, ship-based railguns usually accelerate the payload to a decent fraction of the speed of light, because they are supposed to be cool weapons. That would be pretty hitscan at 40 km.

Maybe railguns work differently in the SC universe and that's fine, but that thing looks like a tiny Starcraft Yamato cannon shot. It's very meh for something with a $1,500 price of admission.

peter gabriel posted:

It's a new(ish) tech which means that you can sink a shitload of money into researching it, that's the point. The dick-waving part is a nice bonus

trucutru fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 5, 2021

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

NumptyScrub posted:

IRL they are being considered for naval warfare, so replacing the big house-size cannons they already have I guess?

They don't use guns in modern naval combat anymore. The US Arleigh-Burke-class guided missile destroyer, which is pretty representative of modern ship types, has the displacement of a World War II heavy cruiser but is only armed with a single 5-inch gun and a couple of 20mm and 25mm autocannons as non-missile, non-torpedo weapons. The slightly lighter World War II Northampton-class heavy cruiser, for example, was armed with nine 8-inch guns in three triple mounts, eight 5-inch guns, 24 40mm autocannons, and 28 20mm autocannons.

Guns went out of style in a huge way when guided missiles were invented. The four World War II Iowa-class battleships were modernized in the 80s, with their guns intact plus added cruise missiles. This was a response to Soviet naval developments including the new Kirov-class battlecruiser. The Kirovs were armed with only missiles but they were far bigger than the average ship at the time and I guess the US wanted to have the biggest ships possible at a lower cost than building new battleships. The Iowas were decommissioned again once the cold war was over because it was expensive and kind of pointless.

This wasn't meant as an "umm, actually" post because IMO with that context the new naval developments are getting interesting.

There's some thought that missile defense systems are starting to outpace missiles and that the smart move in the future will be to use guns again. High velocity railguns are being investigated as such an option. Having big and heavy weapon systems on ships isn't a big deal. The turret assemblies on World War II battleships were a lot heavier than you might think; for instance, as an extreme example, the 46cm triple turrets on the IJN's Yamato-class super battleships were about 2500 tons each, greater or about equal in mass to most destroyer classes of the time.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tippis posted:

If you've ever heard or seen videos of the A-10's little peashooter, it's very much like that, except much shorter since it just goes through half a dozen concrete blocks rather than a couple hundred rounds.

Muscle Tracer posted:

it is a good sound

Got it. :D

Thank you!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bootcha posted:

I'm not sure that's actually been proven, but I'd be curious to know if someone could actually measure SC assets against other CryEngine/Crysis assets that purport to be the same size.

Nope it has not as far as I'm aware, beyond the rumor mill years ago!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Ponzi posted:

Warships I think. They're the only things that can carry a suitable power supply around.

Yeah, this. They had actually planned on installing one on a ship like this year I think, but then that got tanked. But, y'know, China has a ship with a railgun so we better have one too I guess.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Naval stuff, got it thanks all.
Seems like a lot of hassle to shoot some dudes in the face to me. If we put as much effort into having a good old laugh with people as we do shooting them in the faces the world would be a better place.
And easier to then take over as well.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Meanwhile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeBXVhuURKI

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

wait that can't be right, that looks fun

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos