Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ordered the SQ-1 to stave off my wavestate GAS. Now I can just sequence the waves on my Erica sample drum. I still want a wavestate tho this didn’t help that much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nb_fGLrEWk
found a youtube of what I'm hoping to be approximating with the SQ-1. that being CV range mapped to slice index, which is a little tough to pull off with the drum sequencer

\/\/ thanks that FAQ is an interesting read

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
It's a good box, there's a poorly documented tick-per-step sync mode that works well for using it as an oscillator, clock divider or with irregular/slow external clocks. It's the double one-sided arrow on the knob.
fake edit:
it made it into the faq
When I connect the SQ-1 via SYNC to the volca...

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

If anyone was thinking about getting a micromonsta 2, they just added a small number to the store and won't have more till March/April https://www.audiothingies.com/product/micromonsta2/

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Got an HDMI splitter and HDMI -> USB capture dongle. I'm getting crackling audio from my UR-44 with this setup so I didn't plug in the OP-Z, and the game had music anyways.

Here's my first test video. Still need to get an overlay worked out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5jxE9hstkc

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Detroit Modular has a 10% off coupon code: NEWYEAR2021

They carry the Polyend Tracker, which is $599. The 'Ronabux check is $600. So, those are some fun numbers!

I can't wait until it shows up, I used tracker-style software almost exclusively from the early 90s until only just about six years ago when I branched out into hardware and a proper DAW

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

this could be a little more sexy but i wanted to see what was possible for me in one sitting other than just screwing around

https://soundcloud.com/user-44349750/twenty-sixty-four

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

nominal posted:

Detroit Modular has a 10% off coupon code: NEWYEAR2021

They carry the Polyend Tracker, which is $599. The 'Ronabux check is $600. So, those are some fun numbers!

I can't wait until it shows up, I used tracker-style software almost exclusively from the early 90s until only just about six years ago when I branched out into hardware and a proper DAW

I have never used a tracker, but I GAS for that one super hard and it does granular...

Must... resist...

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I'm at the point, I don't want to use my Macbook Pro for anything except Audio/Visual production. Linux is king and I am too dedicated to it. But a 13" Macbook running Renoise, with a hardware midi interface is going to be very powerful and so much more than Polyend. Trackers, the interface being keyboard driven, are more ergonomic than a traditional DAW. I HATE using the mouse, dragging and dropping on a trackpad is hell.
Modular + Renoise as a midi sequencer is how Venetian Snares record. Hell you can get real deep and Lua script it. I think thats going to be more fun than Polyend, which cuts you off at 128 steps? If you make Chiptunes that include 4 parges of 64 steps per page then you are poo poo out of luck.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
A domain specific computer with a reasonably thoughtful interface is a lovely way to interact with yourself and your work.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I impulse bought an MPC One (literally twenty five minutes ago) hoping to get back into some light DnB and holy moly it seems the MPCs have evolved since I last considered one.

My main goal here is to get away from my laptop, which is rife with distractions, for when I want to work on some music. Really pumped about Ableton Link though — I have a few fun Link capable synths on my iPad.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

My Polyend Tracker is arriving tomorrow, pretty excited. You can play NES roms on there so that’s pretty rad

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ordered the MPC One but it's backordered so I guess I play the waiting game. Seems to be out of stock nearly everywhere on the internet. Anyone know if this is just a Christmas sales depleted stock thing, or whether Akai is experiencing actual shortages of supply? Not surprised either way, given COVID and everyone taking up some kind of hobby, as well as supply chain impacts.

So now for the next few weeks I get to just inhale everything about MPC beatmaking on YouTube :haw:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Why did you get the one and not the live 2?

SQ-1 came in. Does anyone know if I can toggle the sync in signal to be a note advancer instead of a four step clock signal? Like a trigger in basically

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

SQ-1 came in. Does anyone know if I can toggle the sync in signal to be a note advancer instead of a four step clock signal? Like a trigger in basically

You might need some adjustment in the global setting.

Sync*1 / 16th note works fine for me

e: new René2 firmware is out and adds tied gates :woop:

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 4, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You might need some adjustment in the global setting.

Sync*1 / 16th note works fine for me

Idk, it seems to advance twice for every sync in trigger received no matter what sequencer mode knob is set to

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

Idk, it seems to advance twice for every sync in trigger received no matter what sequencer mode knob is set to

The sync mode must be selected in the global option page which you reach holding play while powering. Did you do that?

What are you using to send the trigger?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The sync mode must be selected in the global option page which you reach holding play while powering. Did you do that?

What are you using to send the trigger?

OH. Somehow I missed that bit. I swear I read the manual.

Using the gate signal from channel 3 of the drum sequencer

gate out A and CV out A are going to trigger in and CV1 of the sample drum

edit; ty

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 4, 2021

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

OH. Somehow I missed that bit. I swear I read the manual.

Using the gate signal from channel 3 of the drum sequencer

gate out A and CV out A are going to trigger in and CV1 of the sample drum

The sync parameters are missing from the manual, it's only on the website

I just tested it with the drum sequencer too so it should work fine with sync*1

e: don't forget to turn off quantizing on the SQ1 to have proper CV out

e2: have fun, the SQ1 is great for modular. It pairs well with the bassline too since the CV track on the drum sequencer is a pain to program.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 4, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

by unquantized you mean linear mode right?

I'm pretty happy with the cv programmer on the drum sequencer. Compared to a TB it's a wash in terms of programming difficulty. I like having the bassline saved along with my drum sequences. I do wish you could program it for non 1v/oct stuff more easily. a randomizer would be sick too

Worried I'm going to wear out these fancy encoders

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

by unquantized you mean linear mode right?

I'm pretty happy with the cv programmer on the drum sequencer. Compared to a TB it's a wash in terms of programming difficulty. I like having the bassline saved along with my drum sequences. I do wish you could program it for non 1v/oct stuff more easily. a randomizer would be sick too

Worried I'm going to wear out these fancy encoders

Yes, linear mode.

Drum sequencer has a randomizer for the CV track. Check the latest manual and firmware. It's not super user friendly but it works

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Tracker talk got me to download the Renoise demo and it's pretty fun

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

Apparently my impulse buy circuit disengages at $999 CDN.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Yes, linear mode.

Hey one more question, what's your approach to sequencing the accent channel on the bassline? should I just use a spare accent channel from the drum sequencer?

Martytoof posted:

Apparently my impulse buy circuit disengages at $999 CDN.

I just like things with speakers and batteries lol

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

Hey one more question, what's your approach to sequencing the accent channel on the bassline? should I just use a spare accent channel from the drum sequencer?

If you want a 303 in your techno system I guess you could do that. But this is modular so you can get creative. The accent input of the bassline responds well to all kind of CV so sometimes I send it CV sequences (like mimetic digitalis or SQ1), LFOs or sample and hold (LFO2 from the drum seq can send a synced S&H or sine; pico RND too).

Try sending it a bipolar LFO and listen to the result. It seems to really like negative voltage. Much more expressive than the fixed positive only voltages from the accent tracks.

Personally I like minimal techno and short, hypnotic, polyrythmic sequences so the accent of the bassline isn't my first concern. Sometimes I even just set it in drone mode and send it to the dual drive then play with the other parameters (reso, cutoff, detune, drive)

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 4, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

If you want a 303 in your techno system I guess you could do that. But this is modular so you can get creative. The accent input of the bassline responds well to all kind of CV so sometimes I send it CV sequences (like mimetic digitalis or SQ1), LFOs or sample and hold (LFO2 from the drum seq can send a synced S&H or sine; pico RND too).

Yeah I've been trying random CV sources to it so far with mixed results. I discovered the TRI OUT -> FM IN trick on my own before reading about it in the manual while trying to find uses for my shortest cables haha. I also love the drone mode on the bassline and you can hear it on pretty much every jam I recorded this month

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I just went down the 303 filter wormhole the other day however it turns out an M32 can do a reasonable version with the 2.0 firmware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZCHrNU5XRk

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Be grossly incandescent and use a TB-03 to control the Erica Bassline

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

I just like things with speakers and batteries lol

Too true, these are great additions but I guess a sign of the times that I don't ever plan to leaving the house with this :)

I'm also kind of iffy about just leaving the house with it in general. It's not huge but I don't see myself whipping this out on the train or anything. If I really wanted some kind of MPC action on the go I'd probably invest in iMPC Pro 2 for my iPad Pro.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Martytoof posted:

Ordered the MPC One but it's backordered so I guess I play the waiting game. Seems to be out of stock nearly everywhere on the internet. Anyone know if this is just a Christmas sales depleted stock thing, or whether Akai is experiencing actual shortages of supply? Not surprised either way, given COVID and everyone taking up some kind of hobby, as well as supply chain impacts.

So now for the next few weeks I get to just inhale everything about MPC beatmaking on YouTube :haw:

same here but the live 2 :smith::respek::smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I ordered from Red One Music in Montreal. They say it should ship in like 3-5 days (or I’ll be contacted) and I haven’t heard from them yet, but I can read between the lines given that it’s out of stock everywhere and I fully expect a delay. I’m hoping it’s like “Akai will send us a new batch in two weeks”-type delay, not “Akai isn’t making any more until March for some reason”-type :P

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

EBB posted:

Be grossly incandescent and use a TB-03 to control the Erica Bassline

what if it’s a TD3? Do you have to play it in a paper bag, or dress it in some sort of shame textile like Roast Beef in that one Achewood plot?

Maybe cover the Behringer logo with a cool pirate sticker? Or DBZ?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i really dont care what people buy

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Whats better 808 or 909

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Cheese Thief posted:

Whats better 808 or 909

depends

808 is better for hiphop, or at least historically that’s what it’s associated with
909 is better for techno, or at least historically that’s what it’s associated with

personally i like the 606 and cr 78 though

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

What gringostar said.

If you get piece of kit like, the 808 909 303 and maybe extend that to other easily identifiable sounds like the DX7 you're trading partly on the ingrained cultural associations of those sounds. So it's not really about better or worse it's about the vibe.

Modern hip hop uses sampled and repitched 808s more than the physical one though.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

808s are awesome for techno too imo:
https://youtu.be/V3QHj7lai9I

But for real I lolled when I found out there was no pitch knob for the kick on the original hardware

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Cheese Thief posted:

Whats better 808 or 909

Production skills.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Sampled and processed 808s can be heard on pretty much every poppy hip hop track. The “kick drum is also the bass line” thing is usually a pitched 808 bass drum

There’s no better or worse they just sound different. The 808 has sizzly analog hats and the 909 uses samples. The 808 snare is fast and snappy and the 909 is big and flammy

Both are compressed and effected before they ever leave the studio for the most part

If I had to choose between real ones I would get the 909. It was used on Homework.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

909: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALsHox5sYCk

808: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3QHj7lai9I

707: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPVG3OYXj5g

606: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfUJqLyq_wA

Are all very classic examples and are imo the machines at their most raw. Honestly I prefer the 606/707 to the 808/909 respectively, but to each their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
can anybody show me a good example of a track using two drum machines/tracks? Ideally of the same device? I’m just curious if there’d be any reason to have two 606s or 909s in a live setup/mix