Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm not wonderful at this game - up to Ascension level 2 for 3/4 and 3 for the Silent.
I keep trying Defect runs but I don't seem to be able to get very far. I tend to try to focus on a frost orb deck to make me immortal and slowly wear the opponent down, but that doesn't seem to be carrying me anymore. Thoughts?

post some decks. frost orbs are viable up to a20 and probably the easiest thing to do as defect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

You may be focusing on block scaling too early. Block becomes more of a priority later in runs. Damage is more important in the early parts of the run. Get your deck ready to smack stuff hard and fast and then bag some elites.

For example, in act 1, I would rather have a Sunder than a Capacitor. That Sunder is gonna kill a Sentry really fast for me, or maybe it will save me from taking an extra hit against Gremlin Nob. In act 3, I would rather have the Capacitor. I may need a bunch of frost orbs to go the distance against Time Eater.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yoshi Wins posted:

You may be focusing on block scaling too early. Block becomes more of a priority later in runs. Damage is more important in the early parts of the run. Get your deck ready to smack stuff hard and fast and then bag some elites.

For example, in act 1, I would rather have a Sunder than a Capacitor. That Sunder is gonna kill a Sentry really fast for me, or maybe it will save me from taking an extra hit against Gremlin Nob. In act 3, I would rather have the Capacitor. I may need a bunch of frost orbs to go the distance against Time Eater.

I'll go further on that: Capacitor is essential to late game orb builds unless you get one of the slot-granting relics, but in Act 1 it's literally worse than a curse. You have less ability to generate orbs and so with extra slots it's much harder to evoke them.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Another piece of advice on higher ascensions: yes it's good to take offense, but defect starts the most offensive, with ongoing lightning and dualcast hitting for a whopping 16 damage, and least defensive, since silent blocks and ironclad heals. Before your first elite you need to take offense cards and a good block card like charge batteries, leap, reinforce if you can get it.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm not wonderful at this game - up to Ascension level 2 for 3/4 and 3 for the Silent.
I keep trying Defect runs but I don't seem to be able to get very far. I tend to try to focus on a frost orb deck to make me immortal and slowly wear the opponent down, but that doesn't seem to be carrying me anymore. Thoughts?

Frost is the best deck, but be sure you're A. Focusing on getting good sources of attack, defense, focus (if you can), it can be tempting to just autopick frost cards when you already have enough and B. Try out different cards. A fun game when I was learning was "this card looks stupid, I'll pick it." 2/3 of the time it was pretty stupid but 1/3 of the time it was "oh, wait this card is actually good if I have X and Y" so then I had another tool to increase my deckmaking options

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Thanks for the advice all. It sounds like I was focusing too much on getting frost orbs and focus early on rather than just bringing the hurt. I'll give that a go.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I play Defect by either collecting all the power cards or all the claws

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Thanks for the advice all. It sounds like I was focusing too much on getting frost orbs and focus early on rather than just bringing the hurt. I'll give that a go.

Also, always keep in mind that you play with the cards that the game gives to you, not the cards you want. So build your deck based on what you can acquire, not what you wish you had.

That may mean making hard pivots in deck design.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Perfected Strike decks are viable at A20 folks, don't believe the hype.

I bought the Pen Nib and the Mirror at the same time and mirrored my Perfected Strike+. I believed. I believed.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
How did that work? I don't see any scaling. The perfected strikes were doing 39 each with inflame. Was it pen nib wizardry?

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Yeah, if I had vuln applied and used Pen Nib then they hit for almost 100, and I had a ton of vuln.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
9 relics in act 1? dang

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Yoshi Wins posted:

Perfected Strike decks are viable at A20 folks, don't believe the hype.

I bought the Pen Nib and the Mirror at the same time and mirrored my Perfected Strike+. I believed. I believed.
Strike dummy and perfected strike.... seems like a nice synergy.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Yeah, I think the key relics for going perfected strikes are strike dummy, pen nib, necronomicon, and paper phrog. I think it's very hard to make it work if you get one or zero of those. But if you can grab two early, you're pretty much set on damage scaling, and you mostly just need to hunt for block.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I got banned from Life Coach chat for saying "lets get on with it bro"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You deserve it. Lurk more next time.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 31, 2020

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Im innocent.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

lol

You can probably get unbanned if you ask later, but maybe you'd prefer other streamers.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Baalord is better

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I'm a huge Baalorlord stan. Dude is so creative, such a strong player, plays at a normal human speed, and he's a really nice, humble dude. Seems like he's getting more popular lately, and I'm glad. I hope he can make a good living doing this. He's very entertaining.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

its amazing to see the snecko relic work. I always thought you were destined to lose since its inevitable you eventually get a bad draw. I was wrong.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Snecko Eye is very good! It's one of the strongest relics in the game, along with Runic Pyramid.

Sometimes you get screwed when it makes everything expensive, but sometimes you get screwed when you don't draw any good cards, which Snecko helps you with because you draw 7 instead of 5. Drawing 40% more cards every turn is completely loving dope. Overall it lets you play your very strong cards more often and for less average energy (assuming your strongest cards have an average cost of more than 1.5 energy, which they typically do).

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Yoshi Wins posted:

I'm a huge Baalorlord stan. Dude is so creative, such a strong player, plays at a normal human speed, and he's a really nice, humble dude. Seems like he's getting more popular lately, and I'm glad. I hope he can make a good living doing this. He's very entertaining.

Totally agree, he's a good watch. I think jorbs' doing Amount Us, and not having a regular schedule probably helped Baalorlord's numbers.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

RisqueBarber posted:

its amazing to see the snecko relic work. I always thought you were destined to lose since its inevitable you eventually get a bad draw. I was wrong.

"make your own luck" is an important concept to grasp in any card game

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

RisqueBarber posted:

The trick is that it makes your deck so strong that you survive the occasional bad draw.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

RisqueBarber posted:

I'vew been hosed by snecko, but I've also had hands of incredibly beauty.

Snecko gives, and snecko takes. You just have to change which cards you pick slightly and try to have ways in mind to work around potential bad hands. You'll figure it out, you draw 7 per turn. That's value!

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Odds of a lovely draw is generally a lot lower with snecko than without.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Mymla posted:

Odds of a lovely draw is generally a lot lower with snecko than without.

with the extra draw i think so

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I think every StS player goes from a "randomized casting cost? Snecko sucks!" to a quick "holy balls this relic is broken"

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Snecko is powerful, but it's bad because of how much of the "playing the game" it takes out of your hands.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Nothing's wackier than getting Snecko from Neow and goin' hog wild selecting the highest value cards you can find from minute 1.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I just did that! I swapped my starting relic for Snecko on Watcher and by the end of the run I had 4 Ragnaroks and 2 Omnisciences. Died to the Heart because I didn't have enough block though :(

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hackan Slash posted:

Snecko is powerful, but it's bad because of how much of the "playing the game" it takes out of your hands.

similar to how frozen eye is absurdly powerful but adds so much overhead to get value out of it

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I've had more problems with Snecko than I've had winning runs with it. It's very much an alluring way to doom yourself at times.

Runic Pyramid, on the other hand...

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

similar to how frozen eye is absurdly powerful but adds so much overhead to get value out of it

I like Snecko much better though because you don't have to think harder when playing fights, you just play all the cards the RNG lets you.

Frozen Eye, OTOH, turns every turn into an ordeal.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Just hotkey your deck and flick it a couple times so you know which cards are coming up over the next 1-2 turns. You don't need to go full Lifecoach.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Yeah, I often just plan for the next turn or two with Frozen Eye.

Fun, ridiculous fact about Lifecoach: He plays FASTER with Frozen Eye, because when he doesn't have it, he spends a ton of time imagining different draw orders and how he would play each of them. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Note to self: Always take out the donut first. Dammit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
1-4p co-op TTG version in the makes.

https://contentiongames.com/games/slay/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ILL Machina posted:

1-4p co-op TTG version in the makes.

https://contentiongames.com/games/slay/

45 minutes per player? I hope it's good solo, I'm not optimistic that I'd be able to get some friends to sit down for a three hour game of Slay the Spire.