Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol I’m sus as gently caress while out taking pictures of public landmarks and other such innocuous poo poo

Like, what’s driving this? Are bomb loaded drones really that big of a threat? I’ve not heard anything about them being used for domestic terrorism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Like, what’s driving this?

A shocking number of CISA employees trying to stay relevant. And maybe like 5% a desire to help but no desire to engage the drone community as a whole to get like, real opinions.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Don't forget that most of the people who work there are going to be authoritarian assholes.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I heard a small town sheriff unironically say that folding dji drones were going to have c4 taped to them and be flown in to buildings. "Its like a smart missile that fits in a pocket."

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Ok and also some of them are unbelievably dumb.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cops are dumb as poo poo, news at 11

the new zealand customs minister a few years ago held a press conference to announce that he was worried about the proliferation of 3D printers in that nation, because people could simply print illegal drugs at home and evade all border controls

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Considering someone just drove an RV bomb into a downtown street in Tennessee, I’d say the explosive carrying capacity of a drone should be much less worrisome

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Dollars to doughnuts the real driving force behind the FAA regulating UAS is to make room in the sky for Amazon/WalMart/Etc. running delivery drones. Never mind that the delivery drones will probably not actually be operating in the same airspace as hobbyist/107 ops, gotta get those sweet, sweet lobbyist dollars.

e: Hell, the real threat to delivery drone services is gonna be the folks with DJIs who never bothered to learn the rules for flying much less how to actually operate the things. FPV pilots probably won't even hit high enough altitudes to be a threat, nor do we tend to operate in neighborhoods or active commercial areas.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Alternative pants posted:

nor do we tend to operate in neighborhoods or active commercial areas.

Lol, yes they do. Many of them have now learned not to post it online, thouigh.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The real threat to delivery drone services is going to be rednecks with shotguns

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Sagebrush posted:

The real threat to delivery drone services is going to be rednecks with shotguns

Kids with fishing line and a weight. Its going to become a thing to try and snipe your neighbors package.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Does the package come with a free drone?

EDIT: Is this a good helicopter? https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Walker...PRD1K0JKU1UACGK

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 27, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Free drone parts when you down the delivery drone

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

EDIT: Is this a good helicopter? https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Walker...PRD1K0JKU1UACGK

It's cheap and it's from Walmart. So, no.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

DreadLlama posted:

Yes but you may need to do a memory wipe and buy new props.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
In that case could you recommend something else as a single rotor stand-in for a tarot 650 frame-ish sized platform? Say capable of carrying 500g-ish for 20+ minutes. Are there any good helicopters that run off 3s batteries?

edit: I want to do this to something.

Double edit: What about helis that are merely mediocre? Instead of one that's good, what about something that just isn't bad?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 27, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It's cheap and it's from Walmart. So, no.

It’s $500 and a walkera, so I’m guessing it’s better than your average air hogs thing.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s $500 and a walkera, so I’m guessing it’s better than your average air hogs thing.

Airhogs (luckily) doesn't make 500 sized helicopters :).

The new Protos owners are remaking this:

https://usa.banggood.com/XLpower-MSH-PROTOS-480-FBL-6CH-3D-Flying-Flybarless-RC-Helicopter-p-1593373.html?cur_warehouse=CN&ID=6281207

It's essentially what I started with. Get good servos. Savox is a good quality brand for not crazy prices. You can run it 4S, but it'll be happier on 6. (You'll need to adjust gearing accordingly). However, given your concerns about crashing a multi-rotor, I'd still learn to fly a micro-heli first: A: You wont kill anyone (including yourself) B: It's an awful cheaper to repair.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Would a pnp version of their 380 be a terrible idea, if I can find one?

edit: I'm more looking for a platform that will hold a pixhawk than trying to teach myself to fly helicopters, if that makes sense. I am very much in the clueless dji owner category. Micro sounds good from a cost perspective, but not necessarily from a "Am I advancing towards my goal of getting a mapir cam on a semi autonomous platform?" perspective.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 28, 2020

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Lol, yes they do. Many of them have now learned not to post it online, thouigh.

Shhhh. Plausible deniability is a thing.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

Would a pnp version of their 380 be a terrible idea, if I can find one?

edit: I'm more looking for a platform that will hold a pixhawk than trying to teach myself to fly helicopters, if that makes sense. I am very much in the clueless dji owner category. Micro sounds good from a cost perspective, but not necessarily from a "Am I advancing towards my goal of getting a mapir cam on a semi autonomous platform?" perspective.

Ok, at some point, during your autonomous experience, you will have an issue and be forced to quickly change to stabilize mode (rate mode) in order to recover the aircraft.
All the tuning will have to be done in stabilized mode, so even there, you need to have at least basic ability to handle it.
Building a ardupilot based helicopter is not *hard*, but it's not easy either and there will be problems, issues and failures.
Learning basic aircraft handling on a micro is most definitely advancing (safely) towards operating a semi-autonomous platform.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I take offense to being described as a “clueless dji owner”. I also own other things.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
That is a good argument. You've convinced me. I'm getting a beater micro heli. I guess I don't have to worry about it being good or not, since I'm going to crash repeatedly.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Building a ardupilot based helicopter is not *hard*, but it's not easy either and there will be problems, issues and failures.
Learning basic aircraft handling on a micro is most definitely advancing (safely) towards operating a semi-autonomous platform.
This is 100% on point. You will crash hundreds of times before you're proficient, and you're in control of how much you want those crashes to cost ya.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
So you're saying my fist helicopter *shouldn't* have full collective on the tail rotor?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tail rotors don't have collectives. They have variable pitch :D.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
So I’ve been pretty happy flying a little emax fpv drone around, but would like one for photography. Is the mavic mini or mavic 2 a good way to go to start out?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Both would be great to start with. I can’t speak too much to the mini but I’ve had great luck with the MA2 essentially being a flying DSLR

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Have any of you used a mavic drone with an app like dronedeploy or other mapping software? I've been contemplating something to hold a mapir camera, but the mavic 2 enterprise dual appears to have a FLIR camera built in to the gimbal next to regular camera. Also, is this a new drone, or an old drone I've only just discovered? I remember some fanfare around the mini 2, but not for the enterprise dual.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

It's been around for a couple years at least, I remember looking at it back when the MP2 launched. Halfway wish I would have sprung for it, just so I could volunteer for Search and Rescue operations.

DroneDeploy works well and does what it's supposed to. It's just a bit expensive and is monthly rather than one-time

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
That's a slight bummer in that case. I was hoping it was new. It is "currently not supported for radiometric capture within our app" with dronedeploy. Sometimes they add new features two or three weeks in, but not two years probably.

I don't suppose you have a free mapping suite to recommend?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

DreadLlama posted:

Have any of you used a mavic drone with an app like dronedeploy or other mapping software? I've been contemplating something to hold a mapir camera, but the mavic 2 enterprise dual appears to have a FLIR camera built in to the gimbal next to regular camera. Also, is this a new drone, or an old drone I've only just discovered? I remember some fanfare around the mini 2, but not for the enterprise dual.

I've used DroneDeploy, Pix4D (their flight software as well), and now Drone2Map (which flies via Site Scan).

They all work pretty well, depends what you're trying to do but capturing an area they're all pretty comparable.

I haven't flown a Mavic but they all support it from what I can tell.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 5, 2021

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Which one would you consider the cheapest? edit: Actually, which would you consider the best for determining which plants I need to water today or else they will die. Like, say for example I want to plant some trees further from my house than my longest garden hose, and I don't want to haul buckets of water to more plants than I have to.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 5, 2021

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

DreadLlama posted:

Which one would you consider the cheapest?

Drone Deploy is the cheapest I believe.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Oops I did not see your reply. Looks like I'll be reading their forums for a bit. There could be a gap between "not supported" and "doesn't work"

edit: hahahahaha $99 a month. gently caress me.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 5, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Weird, I though I posted here about this before, but I guess I haven't. Just in case this is helpful for someone.

My Air 1 was used when I got it, the gimbal worked fine mostly but would sometimes lose the horizon or just get stuck. So I got a replacement from aliexpress (just the housing/motors). Turns out the PO repaired the gibmal before and somehow glued the cable to the housing:

I managed to get it out but I thought I might've damaged it, because it would just get locked in an extreme position and not respond to calibration at all. I almost bought another gimbal, this time with the camera and cables, but decided to do another check before pushing the order button. This time I found DJI Firmware Tools, which let you do some sort of coarse calibration first, before the finer one, through your PC: https://github.com/o-gs/dji-firmware-tools

This actually fixed it, work perfectly now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just before Christmas I sent my Mavic air 2 back to dji for DJI Care service. It was having a gimbal issue where the gimbal would de-stabilize and shake when the drone was braking from forward motion.

Apparently this is a known thing with MA2’s and DJI told me to send it back.

They sent me an email stating they found a problem and it would cost $69, nice.

I’m not sure what this is supposed to tell me but they also sent me this:

For anyone who has used DJI Care, do they actually repair your drone or do they just send you a new/refurb one?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wait what's the point of dji care if they charge you for what should be warranty repair anyway?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

Wait what's the point of dji care if they charge you for what should be warranty repair anyway?

Very valid argument, and it IS pretty bullshit, but they kind of have you cornered. If I didn’t have DJI Care, it would be like a $300 repair.

My other option would be to make a claim on my insurance but I’d eat the $69 (nice) in increased insurance rates pretty quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

More like DJI Cares about taking your money