Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I've been forever trying to find a personal productivity system that can help me out of the trap of 'being really fucken lazy' and basically every single thing I've tried just ends up being a lot of admin to keep track of how much poo poo I haven't done, so I can only imagine the workplace version is the same but with more literal paperwork.

E: 36 is both the square of six and a triangular number, making it a square triangular number. If you ask me this is exactly the sort of nonsense that led to Brexit.

TACD fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Why dont you want to be really fucken lazy anymore?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ooh, I can answer this one!

It's probably because if your partner works more than 16 hours a week, you don't get UC / Jobseekers. Doesn't matter if they're doing 17 hours minimum wage or if you're struggling to pay the bills & mortgage - If your partner works more than 16 hours you get basic allowance which is something like £24 a month.

BUT... If you want the benefits of welfare like free nhs stuff and registering for council tax / housing benefit, you need to be registered. Which means you need to jump through the loopholes of applying for a certain number of jobs a week, or going to atos panels, or getting sent to agricultural colleges for retraining in cyber, and getting sanctioned if you turn down whatever poo poo job they find you.

You can get round this by registering as self enployed, which means at least that the jobcentre aren't hassling you any more. From the jobcentre's perspective it makes the unemployment stats look better and from the claimants perspective it means if they do make money cleaning or doing handy work for friends, they just report it at year end rather than get sanctioned for unreported income.

It's fun being schrodinger's scrounger, simultaneously stealing hardworking taxpayers money and having my in-laws nodding at each other behind my back, and also being on zero income and unable to afford food or get the hole in my teeth fixed.

The best thing about it is that I can't apply for the self employment covid relief because you have to demonstrate how covid has impacted your business, and given that I was working ftom home, it hasn't. I'm just poo poo at being self employed.

Still though, everyone assumes I'm getting all this government money, but when I point out that I'm not the best advice they can give me is to apply for it. Even though I'm not eligible and that's literally what they've been having a go about behind my back.

Thanks for the explanation.
None of these young women I mentioned can demonstrate how it has impacted their businesses because not been doing it long enough to have formal accounts, don't have premises (they go to customers' homes or wherever to do the hair, makeup, manicures, fake tans for the wedding or whatever it is).

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I always write down the two things I absolutely have to do tomorrow, then usually do one of them.

It's considerably better than none of them

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
My boss sent me a PowerPoint file about Lean 6 Sigma and I couldn't get 10% of the way in before wanting to kill myself

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I remember there was another one from around the time of all that stuff that supposedly came from Japan and was therefore super efficient, but mostly seemed to be about having a tidy workspace and also drawing up far too many matrices about how your workflow and space were tidy, but I can't remember the name.

Marie Kondo

(Joking)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why dont you want to be really fucken lazy anymore?
Oh I absolutely do, I just also want to have all my work and chores done

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I find the best way to get all my chores done is to have something really important I need to do for work and then avoid it by doing the chores instead.

My bathroom is gleaming

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

TACD posted:

I've been forever trying to find a personal productivity system that can help me out of the trap of 'being really fucken lazy' and basically every single thing I've tried just ends up being a lot of admin to keep track of how much poo poo I haven't done, so I can only imagine the workplace version is the same but with more literal paperwork.

E: 36 is both the square of six and a triangular number, making it a square triangular number. If you ask me this is exactly the sort of nonsense that led to Brexit.

Shake Yer Booty:

What are 6 things you want to make progress on - housework, job, reading, musical instrument, whatever.
For each one, write down one item you can do on each of the 6 things that takes NO MORE than 3 minutes. (So a total of 18 mins of doing the thing BUT don't do it yet because after the effort of thinking of things you need to have A REST).
Have a rest and also decide on a little reward for doing the things.
n=0
Subroutine: Do the Stuff
----> Go
n=n+1
Put your timer on for 2.5 minutes and do one thing. If it's not finished when the timer goes off, make it safe (that's why the timer is 2.5 mins not 3) and leave it.
Have a little rest (5 mins max).
If (n=6, STOP, Return to Go).
Reward self.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Marie Kondo

(Joking)
I bet you could make a fortune just by combining vaguely 'exotic' wording with some statistical principle nobody bothered studying/remembering from school and presenting it as the hot new thing.

In Vietnam they've used the principles of chủ nghĩa cộng sản to triple industrial capacity:

Pay me £1000 for a series of 5 consultations on how chủ nghĩa cộng sản could help your employees' productivity.

e: Wait nobody would fall for that now. £12000.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I dunno, I think agile when it's properly applied (and when talking about software development) works pretty well. 15 min standup, then we'd block out most of the rest of the day for developers so they're not brought into pointless meetings

There's definitely a lot of corporate wankery tied into it, but I was quite happy using that to keep higher ups from implementing stupid poo poo that bums everyone out

Then again, I was made redundant, so maybe that bit me in the arse

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Some years ago there was a spoof one done on tv involving Jocky Wilson (darts player). They designed a management system around him and actually sold it to people for something like £1000 a day per delegate (Why do they call these people delegates? It's not the UN. I digress.)
The whole thing was a kind of glorified 'candid camera' to show how easy it was to dupe people.

Guavanaut posted:

I bet you could make a fortune just by combining vaguely 'exotic' wording with some statistical principle nobody bothered studying/remembering from school and presenting it as the hot new thing.

In Vietnam they've used the principles of chủ nghĩa cộng sản to triple industrial capacity:

Pay me £1000 for a series of 5 consultations on how chủ nghĩa cộng sản could help your employees' productivity.

e: Wait nobody would fall for that now. £12000.

"Tractor production in the urals Former Red Wall is down 10% tovarich general!"

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 5, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

TACD posted:

Oh I absolutely do, I just also want to have all my work and chores done

The trouble with getting all your work done is it makes people give you more work to do since you can obviously handle it. Which is fine if you're paid by the job, but most people aren't...

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Also we knew why they were trying to increase our productivity: we were in a year-long ever-deepening hole because they'd closed 2 offices and made a load of people redundant at a point where we were just barely on top of the incoming work. So we knew what would happen to our jobs if we did get more done.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

For what it’s worth to me it always seemed like the whole agile/lean poo poo was born out of the Americans trying to quantify why the Japanese auto and electronics industries were pushing their poo poo in during the 80s while dancing around the fact that the technology in those products and manufacturing facilities was just outright better.

It’s a lot easier to go to management and ask to hire a couple of six figure consultants that do some magic voodoo dance than say “we need to spend 7-8 figure on R&D and updating our manufacturing capacity”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All this business gobbledegook just makes me glad I don't work in an office.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Jocky Wilson said it was reet petite.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

What made me a bit annoyed was six sigma was supposed to be data / evidence driven - deep dive stuff (another expression I hate) - not gut driven.
Yet the upper echelons had got it in for one particular chunk of the workforce (highly crucial for the whole operation across the country).
Basically, they wanted six sigma to 'prove' that the group were dysfunctional somehow. All they saw was the errors. What they didn't see what the literally hundreds of thousands of CORRECT operations carried out per month per segment of the group. The first project I did actually showed the group were pretty high performing for a manual operation - something over 3.5sigmas. Not brain surgery levels but still pretty darn good. I made a point of telling some of that workforce how good they were and they were chuffed to pieces because they were continually getting hammered by above.

Unfortunately, the impact of one error was magnified from the fact that the infrastructure hadn't been designed for the much higher usage it was getting some 50-100+ years after it had been set up, hardly the fault of that particular set of the workforce.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

All this business gobbledegook just makes me glad I don't work in an office.

Let's put a pin in that and circle back to it later to touch base.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Follow the Arnold Rimmer school of personal organisation: spend 9/10 of the time you have available for a task creating a beautiful artistic productivity plan for exactly how you're going to do it, then the remaining 1/10 in a state of such fevered panic that you never even start.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

*checking*
Phew not on it.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
The underlying problem with all these Process Management methodologies is the same as the underlying problem with business software - idiot managers are tricked into thinking that the process/application will do their work for them and they no longer need to be organised or do any thinking. I use the drill analogy - you can go and buy an electric drill to replace your hand drill but you are still going to need to decide where the hole goes, measure & mark it, buy the shelving etc, you can't just leave the drill near the wall and expect everything to be solved for you.

The worst meetings are the ones where the person organising the meeting does not think it is their job to bring an agenda or lead the meeting. Opening a meeting by asking everyone if they have anything to talk about should be punishable by death

edit: immediate in the room execution

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
There are four plumbers van parked outside my flat. What scale of plumbing catastrophe necessitates 4 vans.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

it's ok to pop round yer mates for a knees up, as long as you are getting paid for it as a tradesman

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

peanut- posted:

There are four plumbers van parked outside my flat. What scale of plumbing catastrophe necessitates 4 vans.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

peanut- posted:

Four vaans, Jeremy? That's insane

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Shake Yer Booty:

What are 6 things you want to make progress on - housework, job, reading, musical instrument, whatever.
For each one, write down one item you can do on each of the 6 things that takes NO MORE than 3 minutes. (So a total of 18 mins of doing the thing BUT don't do it yet because after the effort of thinking of things you need to have A REST).
Have a rest and also decide on a little reward for doing the things.
n=0
Subroutine: Do the Stuff
----> Go
n=n+1
Put your timer on for 2.5 minutes and do one thing. If it's not finished when the timer goes off, make it safe (that's why the timer is 2.5 mins not 3) and leave it.
Have a little rest (5 mins max).
If (n=6, STOP, Return to Go).
Reward self.
See this sort of thing is very neat and logical and should work. But in reality I make all sorts of lists trying to categorise what I want to do and spend all day on the admin part before just doing whatever chores are screaming loudest in my head without taking anything off the list, and by the time I check the list again it’s out of date and I need to start over.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1346494197063409664

thisisfine.jpg

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

the corona quid posted:

For what it’s worth to me it always seemed like the whole agile/lean poo poo was born out of the Americans trying to quantify why the Japanese auto and electronics industries were pushing their poo poo in during the 80s while dancing around the fact that the technology in those products and manufacturing facilities was just outright better.

It’s a lot easier to go to management and ask to hire a couple of six figure consultants that do some magic voodoo dance than say “we need to spend 7-8 figure on R&D and updating our manufacturing capacity”

Yep.

Honda allocates a higher percentage of revenue to R&D than any other car maker - unsurprisingly it also has a long-established reputation for engineering and manufacturing excellence.

It also has one of the lowest automation rates of all the major global car makers. Honda employs more people to do things manually in its factories than any of its rivals. Because years ago they realised that actual people were better at performing complex tasks than robots so long as those people were supported by a holistic management and production system designed to reduce as far as possible the potential for errors before it became the person actually screwing cars together on the production line's responsibility and those workers were properly skilled, trained, managed, empowered and rewarded. One of Honda's key abilities which gave it such an advantage was to be able to dedicate a single production line to multiple products because it sought efficient production over mass production. Instead of building one production line equipped with automated machinery to churn out Civics at the a great rate, Honda trained people to have skills (welding, machining, engine assembly, trimming, fitting wiring harnesses, installing brake systems and so on) and then used those skills on interchangeable products, so while an individual worker's role may be assembling the valve gear of an engine, they won't necessarily be assembling the same sort of valve gear on the same model of engine on each shift, or even for a whole of one shift. Traditionally this would be a nightmare for quality, but all the back-room effort goes into making each design as easy and simple to assemble as possible, basic familiar design elements are used across different applications and workers are trained as required, trusted to use their experience, subject knowledge and judgement and are empowered to suggest better ways of working or even stop the production line if problems arise.

Honda used to have a consultancy/academy division that provided training on this sort of thing to other firms. Something like 50% of clients ended the deal before the end of the original consultancy period because they realised that Honda's methods would require root-and-branch reform of their entire way of doing business rather than just five pithy bullet point statements, and about three quarters of those that completed the consultancy period abandoned the attempt to do things the 'Honda way' within a year ("What, you mean we'd have to treat our staff with respect as mutually important parts of a process, invest in people as part of a long-term career with secure employment, managers would be forced to take personal responsbility for their departments and we'd be forgoing short term profits for long term gain? gently caress that poo poo!")

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

peanut- posted:

Theyre probably just having their 15min agile standpipe.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

its called a toolbox talk in the trade

they are all summarised as 'alright lads don't gently caress anything up this time'

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
consultants you say

https://twitter.com/chakrabortty/status/1346455172625690625?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

kyojin posted:

The underlying problem with all these Process Management methodologies is the same as the underlying problem with business software - idiot managers are tricked into thinking that the process/application will do their work for them and they no longer need to be organised or do any thinking. I use the drill analogy - you can go and buy an electric drill to replace your hand drill but you are still going to need to decide where the hole goes, measure & mark it, buy the shelving etc, you can't just leave the drill near the wall and expect everything to be solved for you.

The worst meetings are the ones where the person organising the meeting does not think it is their job to bring an agenda or lead the meeting. Opening a meeting by asking everyone if they have anything to talk about should be punishable by death

edit: immediate in the room execution

Video cued to start 3 mins in where this happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8wvQkZkxyQ&t=180s

TACD posted:

See this sort of thing is very neat and logical and should work. But in reality I make all sorts of lists trying to categorise what I want to do and spend all day on the admin part before just doing whatever chores are screaming loudest in my head without taking anything off the list, and by the time I check the list again it’s out of date and I need to start over.

I have also suffered from the paralysis of perfection when it comes to list making.
Instead of a 'to do' list, try a 'done' list. So never mind all the stuff you haven't got to, what have you done?
Even better, you can write down things you ALREADY DID (no matter what they are - eg got up, used bathroom, had coffee.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 5, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

A good motivator I read about was reframing the question from 'I should do the thing' to 'when am I going to do the thing.' It feels more resolved.

For example, if it's almost 5pm, it's probably time to stop thinking 'i should get up' and start thinking 'when am I going to get up.'

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks for the explanation.
None of these young women I mentioned can demonstrate how it has impacted their businesses because not been doing it long enough to have formal accounts, don't have premises (they go to customers' homes or wherever to do the hair, makeup, manicures, fake tans for the wedding or whatever it is).
Which is weird, because you'd think that would be the exact circumstance that would be impacted. "The impact it's had on my business is that I can't go round to people's houses any more, and that's how I make income." They should be able to claim the covid relief. They probably can't claim UC because of the 16 hours thing, but they should at least get the self employed covid relief.

Whereas my business involves sitting at home alone, so really I can't argue that the pandemic has had any effect other than psychological strain. I don't even have the excuse of "I can't concentrate with the kids / my partner home all day" because my wife is an essential worker and I don't have kids.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Boris back on.... currently talking about vaccination numbers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Only watching to see the lowball questions about schools and how he fumbles through them.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ewan posted:

Oh this made me laugh earlier: front page of today's Daily Star:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Ewan posted:

post/avatar combo

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

but they should at least get the self employed covid relief.

I dont think any of this has so far been available to self employed people who had not previously submitted a tax return in I think 2019 so that they can establish what 80% of your monthly profit was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh he's saying they're going to 'look at' wasted uni accommodation costs. Which they didn't do anything about during the last two lockdowns. I'm sure that'll go really far.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 5, 2021