Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hello thread, I dipped my toe back into WMH / Riot Quest with General Brug Thunderstone:

I did the mirrored horizon aka earth/sky NMM thing on his glasses just because I'd never done it and it seemed perfect for such a ridiculous model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I prime with an airbrush and a ventilated spray booth - it just has fans that pull excess paint and fumes into a really thick filter. One of the best purchases I've made for mini painting.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Fyrbrand posted:

Hello thread, I dipped my toe back into WMH / Riot Quest with General Brug Thunderstone:

I did the mirrored horizon aka earth/sky NMM thing on his glasses just because I'd never done it and it seemed perfect for such a ridiculous model.

Well it worked pretty drat well. I can just imagine him going on about how much he loves the smell of napalm in the morning.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fyrbrand posted:

tidy

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I've had only the very best experiences with Vallejo brush-on primer, to the point where I'm debating with myself whether or not to skip rattle-cans entirely. Probably won't, 'cause a zenithal undercoat is kinda tough to manage with a brush, but it's really good.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

First painted figures of 2021. 6 "Stuffed Piglets" for Malifaux (1e metals), I've tried to obscure the fact there are only 3 sculpts by having half of them on cork rocks in the swamp, the other half on muddy tracks through the swamp. Almost entirely contrast paints because I've packed away most of my painting stuff at new year and need to cut a new sponge for my wet palette.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

inscrutable horse posted:

I've had only the very best experiences with Vallejo brush-on primer, to the point where I'm debating with myself whether or not to skip rattle-cans entirely. Probably won't, 'cause a zenithal undercoat is kinda tough to manage with a brush, but it's really good.

Maybe just a heavy drybrush at a specific angle?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

I've started doing either a quick zenithal spray or dry brushing a light grey or white on black primed minis (or a quick brown or black wash on white or grey ones) just to see the details. Maybe my eyes are finally going.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

a pale ghost posted:

How do you prime models in the winter? I read that spraying primer onto a model in the cold and wet conditions isn't good

Like everybody said, use an airbrush. You don't need to spend a lot, there are kits under $100 that include the compressor. It'll be perfectly fine for priming and also for the base color. In the long run it'll save you money and it's more environment-friendly.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm sure there are ways of doing zenithals with a brush, but I mostly do 'em if I'm going to put a lot of effort into a 'special' miniature, and for those I want to be sure I get that uniform highlighting. Doing it manually introduces a lot of opportunities to gently caress up, or forget a certain bit, or something else entirely.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

First thing painted using the airbrush for priming and zenithal highlighting. Loving it so far!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Eej posted:

I've been priming and airbrushing outside on my patio throughout the endless rain of Vancouver Winter and it's worked out alright except for the part where sometimes it's so god drat grey I can't see what I'm doing.

Lol yeah I was having that problem too, I abandoned my first prime attempt when I couldn't really see black from grey.

inscrutable horse posted:

I'm sure there are ways of doing zenithals with a brush, but I mostly do 'em if I'm going to put a lot of effort into a 'special' miniature, and for those I want to be sure I get that uniform highlighting. Doing it manually introduces a lot of opportunities to gently caress up, or forget a certain bit, or something else entirely.

I am not an expert at any of this, but you can do it with a drybrush. My first zenithal primes were, uh, substandard to stay the least - I have bad depth perception so I wasn't highlighting the entire model and I was worried about flooding the details - and picking up a cheap makeup brush and using an ivory to drybrush on to reinforce the zenithal highlight really works. Vince talks about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWN05uTt878. As weird as it sounds I've really enjoyed the process of deepening the shadows and accenting the highlights through a big batch of models.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 4, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I found them. I found the first minis I ever painted. Back when I owned exactly six colors of paint: Silver, gold, dark blue, light blue, dark angels green, and white. The black is exposed spray primer.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Testing the airbrush by trying to make a white scars outrider. I’m gonna buy some varnish since the white ink is very delicate

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Verisimilidude posted:

Testing the airbrush by trying to make a white scars outrider. I’m gonna buy some varnish since the white ink is very delicate

Pretty bang on. Nice.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Working on some weathering. It looks good in spots but some places look just ok, but that’s practice!!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Verisimilidude posted:

Working on some weathering. It looks good in spots but some places look just ok, but that’s practice!!

may I suggest sponging it on?

it'll look more natural and is easier to do than with a paint brush :)

I use a bit of foam from blister packs or old figure cases.

Yeast fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 5, 2021

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Really proud of myself today. This was my first mini I ever painted, around early October:

...And here's what I finished tonight:

Never thought I'd get this far but hoo boy it feels good :)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

Really proud of myself today. This was my first mini I ever painted, around early October:

...And here's what I finished tonight:

Never thought I'd get this far but hoo boy it feels good :)

Awesome improvement. How many minis have you painted from Oct to now (roughly)?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

tangy yet delightful posted:

Awesome improvement. How many minis have you painted from Oct to now (roughly)?

I want to say around 50ish? I started with Marvel Crisis Protocol stuff and had to learn not to make everything a smudged-up mess. Though I do like how the MVC2 Venom turned out.

After this I kind of found that WH40K stuff is somehow easier to paint, though I'm not sure why that is? Maybe they're different material. Either way I feel like maybe I can go back and touch up some older Marvel stuff later on.

I'm still verrrrrrry iffy about painting faces though and the most I will ever do is splash a coat of flesh-colored paint on a model and leave it be since I just do not know how to do anything more than that to get better detail.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 5, 2021

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Picked up a small lightbox for taking photos. Still just using an iphone 6s for pictures but it's pretty nice I think, just gotta find a place to keep it permanently.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What are the paints that allow you to “paint on” craggily/cracked terrain on bases called?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What are the paints that allow you to “paint on” craggily/cracked terrain on bases called?

I don't think there's generically a name for it, but the GW paint/product line is referred to as their "Technical" paints, although not all Technical paints are for creating bases.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-U...609833900000%5D

Vallejo also has a variety of pastes and such that you just smear on and let it dry:

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/category/hobby/diorama-effects/

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 5, 2021

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
Cross posting!

quote:

After weeks of procrastination and accidentally dropping the model I've finally finished my sphiranx.

First ever attempt at doing a textured base came out pretty good, I think :D

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That is some real nice lookin' fur.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm nowhere near as good as most posters here seem to be but I'm pretty happy with my work here

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

painting white suuuuucks. that looks pretty good

pinstripe/seam on the side of the pants is a nice touch

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

DLC Inc posted:

After this I kind of found that WH40K stuff is somehow easier to paint, though I'm not sure why that is? Maybe they're different material.

I've had the same experience. I started off painting some Tokaido playing pieces for a friend and several of them just look kinda dirty after even a light wash. The Space Marines I painted next looked much better. I know part of it is the Tokaido figures didn't have as sharp of edges so painting detail was trickier.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm having trouble painting/layering uniforms. Example:

Looks too cartoony and otherwise doesn't look right to me.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I think the high contrast looks great on the back at least

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phi230 posted:

I'm having trouble painting/layering uniforms. Example:

Looks too cartoony and otherwise doesn't look right to me.

To me this looks like a good sketch step, you should try going in with your midtone via glazes/thin layers/airbrush filter to smooth things out a bit. It's kind of all highlight and shadow at the moment, so reducing those and expanding the midtone would make it look more natural, I think.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

How do you guys go about your bases? The first few guys I attached to the base, painted, and then did the texture around the base and painted. That works ok, but I was kinda juking around the legs and hoping I didn't end up painting them by accident.

Next go around I just superglued a guys foot to the base before painting with the intention of "popping" him off to do the base afterwards. Instead I just popped the body off of the leg that was glued to the base. The sticky (poster) tack I have doesn't seem sturdy enough to use for keeping the mini on the base while painting.

I've got some Blood Bowl players that I want to make nice grass/dirt bases for but I can't decide the best way to do it.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I always attach to bases first. I attach my basing material with white glue, so any that gets on the feet gets wiped away. When it comes time to paint the base, if a little brown or whatever from drybrushing the base also gets on the model, well, now it's got weathering. Seems like that would especially work for BB models.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jolo posted:

How do you guys go about your bases? The first few guys I attached to the base, painted, and then did the texture around the base and painted. That works ok, but I was kinda juking around the legs and hoping I didn't end up painting them by accident.

Next go around I just superglued a guys foot to the base before painting with the intention of "popping" him off to do the base afterwards. Instead I just popped the body off of the leg that was glued to the base. The sticky (poster) tack I have doesn't seem sturdy enough to use for keeping the mini on the base while painting.

I've got some Blood Bowl players that I want to make nice grass/dirt bases for but I can't decide the best way to do it.

Best way: Pin Them. Drill up into their foot, glue in a length of paper clip, snip it leaving a protruding pin, put the pin in a cork or similar, paint them. Do the base entirely, then drill a matching hole in the base, put pin A in hole B, glue down. Pros: Super secure, no danger of getting flock halfway up the ankle. cons: kind of a pain in the dick, time consuming if you are doing a lot of figures, not all figures have chunky enough feet/ankles for it to be feasable. Also I find fewer bottles of wine have corks in them any more, eliminating the most fun way of getting corks. You could just buy corks I suppose. I do this for important models with suitable ankles going on elaborate bases or if theres a lot of cork "rocks" involved. Like if there is three layers of cork coasters with a metal mini, I'm pinning all the way through to the plastic base at the bottom.

Quickest Way: What you've already been doing. Put the figure on the base, paint the figure, apply base materials carefully around the feet, call it a day. Pros: Quick if you have a whole squad needing doing, fairly straightforward. Cons: You have to be careful around the feet, you have to work with where you put the figure on the base initially when it comes to placing basing bits, if you arent careful it can look a little like the feet are sinking into the base.. I tend to do this if I have a bunch of basic guys going on basic basing schemes. If all I'm doing is slapping down a crackle paint and a tuft, or some static grass and a rock or something then I do this.

In between way: Temporarily glue the figure to something that let you paint it but remove it easily. A wine bottle screw top is ideal, I have a few bases with craft stick stick sections glued on top, as these tend to let you remove the model easily. You can use an actual base if you like, but in any case, use a SMALL amount of superglue (not plastic glue) to attach the model. I think where you went wrong is trying to pull/snap the model off the temporary base? Instead when its painted, and your base is prepared, slide a utility knife (or similar, I use the cheap ones with the snap-off blades) caaaaaaarefully between base and foot, parallel to the base, AWAY FROM YOUR BODY, IDEALLY DOWNWARDS INTO A CUTTING MAT. It should "pop" off easily enough. Then use an actual decent amount of superglue and glue it to your prepared base. I often scrape off a small amount of basing material so that the glue is plastic to plastic, but I'm told thats not usually necessary. I do this with models going onto elaborate bases but have too skinny feet to pin, or who are going to be perched on something I'm not confident drilling (eg actual stone).

Theres nothing actually wrong with the quickest way, its just you have to be a bit careful. Especially if you are doing something fairly straightforward (eg a bit of texture, some brown paint and a grass base covering).

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Painting these two big boys.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jolo posted:

Depends on what I'm planning to do with the base and the overall effort level of the paint job. If you're going for max quality I think painting the model and the base separately and then pinning the model is the way to go.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

My big problem with basing separately is it usually creates a sort of "floating" look where the mini seems to be hovering above the ground instead of actually standing on it. It's especially noticeable with textured bases simulating mud or dirt - basically anything that feet would realistically sink into a little bit. But applying texture effects around a minis feet does definitely suck, especially since it's so thick that even with a beater brush you get fairly poor control over it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

My big problem with basing separately is it usually creates a sort of "floating" look where the mini seems to be hovering above the ground instead of actually standing on it. It's especially noticeable with textured bases simulating mud or dirt - basically anything that feet would realistically sink into a little bit. But applying texture effects around a minis feet does definitely suck, especially since it's so thick that even with a beater brush you get fairly poor control over it.

My solution to this is to paint the mini, then put the basing effect on, then put the mini on. Works pretty well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Or gently push the mini's feet into the freshly applied basing material to make an impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I started painting my first warhammies, a couple Necrons. It's been fun, so I've been considering dipping into a 40k starter set to get more minis to paint. I saw this recruit box:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40000-Recruit-EN-2020

And it looks like a decent deal for the amount of minis you get. Is it as good a deal as it seems? Only problem is that it comes with those silly space marines, and I'm not totally interested in painting them. Plus I like the Official colors to properly paint them (though obviously you can paint them however you like).