Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Cast Nic Cage as Wonder Woman in WW3. Do it you cowards!

E: I stand by this snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Splint Chesthair posted:

The difference being that Schwarzenegger has a screen presence so imposing that they rarely bothered to cover up his heritage. You didn't buy a ticket to see Doug Quaid, John Matrix or Mark Kaminsky - you paid to see Arnold. Why does American police detective John Kimble talk like he just arrived from Bavaria? He just does, that's why. I can't think of another movie star who's earned that type of status where he/she is always bigger than the role and the character is just an excuse to get that person on the screen. Something tells me Gal Gadot will not be joining that category, either.
a lot of americans don't have an "american" accent

it's nbd

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

readingatwork posted:

Cast Nic Cage as Wonder Woman in WW3. Do it you cowards!

E: I stand by this snipe.

Cast him as the entire Justice League tbh

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

sean10mm posted:

To be fair most actors trying fake accents end up sounding dumb as poo poo.

See Butler, Gerard.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2R2BFq2cd4

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Splint Chesthair posted:

The difference being that Schwarzenegger has a screen presence so imposing that they rarely bothered to cover up his heritage. You didn't buy a ticket to see Doug Quaid, John Matrix or Mark Kaminsky - you paid to see Arnold. Why does American police detective John Kimble talk like he just arrived from Bavaria? He just does, that's why. I can't think of another movie star who's earned that type of status where he/she is always bigger than the role and the character is just an excuse to get that person on the screen. Something tells me Gal Gadot will not be joining that category, either.

Arnold was also told to play up his accent after he became big because it became part of his brand. He actually sounded pretty American from time to time as the governator; he basically ends up slipping to sound less like himself.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
There are a few videos on YouTube of him speaking German and while he does sound "clearer" auf Deutsch, he still sounds like Ahnuld.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

wonder woman 1984 sucked

, i assume. ill probably never watch it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Starks posted:

Steve only being impressed with things that existed in his time is hilarious and I refuse to believe it was intentional. This guy was more excited about the fireworks than the invisible plane.

A lot about him would make sense if it wasn't actually Steve but basically an illusion based on her memories of him.

Darko posted:

Arnold was also told to play up his accent after he became big because it became part of his brand. He actually sounded pretty American from time to time as the governator; he basically ends up slipping to sound less like himself.

He actively gets voice coaching to make sure he keeps his signature accent. His whole thing is his screen presence and he knows it, there's videos of him training with dancers and ballerinas to keep up his movement and posing skills.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Starks posted:

Steve only being impressed with things that existed in his time is hilarious and I refuse to believe it was intentional. This guy was more excited about the fireworks than the invisible plane.
When it showed the shots of him flying over the clouds and you could just see flashes of red beneath them I thought for sure Steve was going to have some sort of WW1 flashback.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

fart simpson posted:

wonder woman 1984 sucked

, i assume. ill probably never watch it.

you should

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Don't watch it if you don't wanna watch superhero movies but if you do then it's in the upper half for sure, that's not saying very much mind

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm pretty sure that Steve was more wowed by the amount of TVs that Diana had, rather than the invention of TV.

I like Pine a lot and he's effortlessly charasmatic. But his inclusion in this feels a lot Jenkins et al having a lack of confidence in their lead character (and given that Gadot frankly isn't very good that's understandable). But even their scenes together lack the fun chemistry of the first movie.

The whole movie is full of half-baked ideas that it doesn't know what to do with. Like Barbara's story would be much clearer if the idea was that she wants the respect from others that she's entitled to as a human being. Diana is smart, confident, respected and strong in a way that society doesn't allow women to be in 1984. As an earlier poster said, Diana can confidently walk down a dark alley when other women can't. Barbara should want to be a woman *like* Diana and when that doesn't solve her problems is when the Apex Predator thing comes into it. And that's how it appears in some scenes, but then it also does this Queerbaiting thing and it muddies the waters.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

I'm pretty sure that Steve was more wowed by the amount of TVs that Diana had, rather than the invention of TV.

I like Pine a lot and he's effortlessly charasmatic. But his inclusion in this feels a lot Jenkins et al having a lack of confidence in their lead character (and given that Gadot frankly isn't very good that's understandable). But even their scenes together lack the fun chemistry of the first movie.

The whole movie is full of half-baked ideas that it doesn't know what to do with. Like Barbara's story would be much clearer if the idea was that she wants the respect from others that she's entitled to as a human being. Diana is smart, confident, respected and strong in a way that society doesn't allow women to be in 1984. As an earlier poster said, Diana can confidently walk down a dark alley when other women can't. Barbara should want to be a woman *like* Diana and when that doesn't solve her problems is when the Apex Predator thing comes into it. And that's how it appears in some scenes, but then it also does this Queerbaiting thing and it muddies the waters.

it is weird that she basically seems gay for the first 20 minutes of her character then falls for pedro but maybe shes just bi and horny for both gal and pedro which is very understandable imo.

i think your idea more or less is why she wishes to be diana though, wanting to be treated better, her evil turn comes properly after wonder woman scolds her for trying to bang pedro by giving him the wishing stone and blows her off.
shes pissed off, then starts a fight with the guy who previously tried to assault her and kicks him to death. despite what some people seem to think, enjoying murdering someone who cant possibly fight back against you is an evil act and thats when she goes full bad.
the wishing stone drains her kindness in exchange for making her a Strong Female Character basically which i think is intentional

then it skips immediately to her just turning up to tell diana how pissed she is and hurling cops through the air

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I didn't get gay vibes at all. I thought she was just a lonely dork who was desperate to be in the company of the coolest woman in her vicinity

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Zzulu posted:

I didn't get gay vibes at all. I thought she was just a lonely dork who was desperate to be in the company of the coolest woman in her vicinity

the way she asks diana out for lunch is definitely meet-cutey and framed as a come-on, she then makes a big deal about how she expected diana to be "out" and says so a lot at the meal. (ofc she actually means out as in out and about town)

after watching the movie some stuff i didnt really agree with people on but i do think they are right that for those first 10 minutes or so she comes across as gay and not very subtly, but then they give her the pedro thing and she never really seems gay after that unless i'm missing some coding with her outfit.

i split the difference and just assume she's bisexual or curious and lonely so pretty much just goes for anyone who pays positive attention to her. i really like her and pedro's early scene together.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
An insecure woman like her wouldn't hit on Diana like that, in their very first interaction? To me it seemed like the new girl at work looking to find someone, anyone, to connect with. Especially since literally everyone else there seemed to automatically dismiss her or ignore her

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shageletic posted:

Wait is that Gal Gadot's natural accent? What the hell? They made a dozen actors talk the same way because she couldn't use another accent?

They did something similar with Colin Farrell in Alexander (except for whatever Angelina Jolie was going for). Which was weird because IIRC he's a good actor?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Neo Rasa posted:

They did something similar with Colin Farrell in Alexander (except for whatever Angelina Jolie was going for). Which was weird because IIRC he's a good actor?

There are a number of puzzling choices made in Alexander. It's best not to dwell on a single one of them.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

This movie feels like the result of a writers’ strike.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

thrawn527 posted:

There are a number of puzzling choices made in Alexander. It's best not to dwell on a single one of them.

Yeah but understandably it was on my mind while dwelling on the choices in WW84. :D

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Neo Rasa posted:

I remember that being pointed out as a bit of a theme with how they have the Macedonians speak with Irish accents to match him, and the Greeks in British and various regional accents, to highlight the diversity of his army.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

it is weird that she basically seems gay for the first 20 minutes of her character then falls for pedro but maybe shes just bi and horny for both gal and pedro which is very understandable imo.

i think your idea more or less is why she wishes to be diana though, wanting to be treated better, her evil turn comes properly after wonder woman scolds her for trying to bang pedro by giving him the wishing stone and blows her off.
[b]shes pissed off, then starts a fight with the guy who previously tried to assault her and kicks him to death. [b]despite what some people seem to think, enjoying murdering someone who cant possibly fight back against you is an evil act and thats when she goes full bad.
the wishing stone drains her kindness in exchange for making her a Strong Female Character basically which i think is intentional

then it skips immediately to her just turning up to tell diana how pissed she is and hurling cops through the air

Uh

She didn’t “start” a fight. She was just walking down the street, he verbally engaged with her, then he walked up to her, then he put his hands on her shoulders, and then she countered. The fact that this movie puts evil music behind her response, and that people will walk away from this movie blaming her for reacting that way, is disgusting.

I’m pretty sure she didn’t kill him either. But if she did, I’ve got no tears for a two-time attempted rapist getting put down.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

AdmiralViscen posted:

Uh

She didn’t “start” a fight. She was just walking down the street, he verbally engaged with her, then he walked up to her, then he put his hands on her shoulders, and then she countered. The fact that this movie puts evil music behind her response, and that people will walk away from this movie blaming her for reacting that way, is disgusting.

I’m pretty sure she didn’t kill him either. But if she did, I’ve got no tears for a two-time attempted rapist getting put down.

She kicks him in the head with wonderwoman strength until he stops moving. He's definitely dead.

I dunno enjoying murdering someone who can't hurt you seems bad, even if theyr bad.

Iirc she stops when she recognises him instead of walking on them lamps him into a van when he touches her. So far so good.

Then she repeatedly slowly kicks his whole weight down the street before kicking his head in. Not so good.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 5, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Splint Chesthair posted:

I mean apparently Jenkins struck the writers off the production, i.e. wrote everything. What a ding to the auteur theory.

e: here's some youtuber on how it happened

quote:

"On the first Wonder Woman, Patty Jenkins was working with Warner Bros. and Zack Snyder's people extensively, and from what I've heard, they didn't always see eye to eye, but that friction, I think created a really great, really unique and very well-balanced film, you know that people really enjoyed," explained Randolph. "Now on Wonder Woman 1984, even though the Snyders are still producers, Warner Bros. gave Patty Jenkins complete creative control as she's made very clear in her interviews before the Rotten Tomatoes score had dropped. That's another lesson to be learned here, don't give interviews or do a victory lap before you have your final Rotten Tomatoes score, because as I am going to show you, she just made a problem for herself even worse by some of the comments she has made in the last few weeks."

Randolph continued, "But she cleaned the house when she made the film to better create her vision. I've said, you know this movie has been coming out for two years now, I've made videos talking about how I felt these changes were a mistake. So two of the biggest ones that were really big mistakes was that she got rid of Zack Snyder's stunt team and his VFX people, and she also got rid of screenwriter Allan Heinberg. Oh, that was a huge mistake. Those two things were horrible."

Grace goes over how Allan Heinberg, a writer of the Wonder Woman comic books, came up with the "princess" angle that was so popular in the first movie and that Heinberg has written Young Avengers for Marvel Comics which is now being implemented in the MCU, yet Jenkins got rid of him for Geoff Johns.

"Instead, Jenkins doubled down on Geoff Johns, who to be fair I think has zeroed in on Patty Jenkins as his only remaining connection to DC films as everyone else abandoned him," said Randolph. "He got fired as being the head of DC films. Everyone else was like, 'Get out of here.' But he had already sunk his hooks into Patty Jenkins, and she felt that he was her safety net, erroneously, that he would be her safety net of making sure this stuff was comics accurate. She should have picked up the comics herself and she would have seen that they were really not following the source material, but I think if she felt Geoff Johns felt it was a good idea, it was a good idea... Ughh... That's incredible to me."

https://cosmicbook.news/zack-snyder-removed-wonder-woman-1984-patty-jenkins

dunno how true that is, but it reminds me of this famous James Caan quote (I think it's him) where he says the reason why sequels are usually terrible is because first time directors are scared and so listen to the advice of the professionals around him, the second movie comes around, they stop listening to anyone.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 5, 2021

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

She kicks him in the head with wonderwoman strength until he stops moving. He's definitely dead.

I dunno enjoying murdering someone who can't hurt you seems bad, even if theyr bad.

Iirc she stops when she recognises him instead of walking on them lamps him into a van when he touches her. So far so good.

Then she repeatedly slowly kicks his whole weight down the street before kicking his head in. Not so good.

Pretty sure the evil music starts in your “good” range

And she’s not obliged to “walk on” (it probably would have had to become a run, since he’s moving towards her and is of a mind to touch her first)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Splint Chesthair posted:

A huge difference between the first Wonder Woman and WW84 is that Patty Jenkins didn't write the first one, and she didn't have the clout to get her 'vision' pushed through. She's a writer on the second movie, and apparently had the pull to fight the studio on things like keeping the intro olympics and the mall heist.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
This exact same man quite literally tried to apprehend and assault or rape her earlier in the movie, only stopped by Diana. Why should she have any belief that he’s not a threat now?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

AdmiralViscen posted:

Pretty sure the evil music starts in your “good” range

And she’s not obliged to “walk on” (it probably would have had to become a run, since he’s moving towards her and is of a mind to touch her first)

Yeah I don't think she's obliged to, just the reason she stops this time is cause she now knows she can kick the gently caress outta this guy.

You might be right about the music I don't remember when it turns, but the turn towards evil is when she's killing the now helpless man while enjoying it now that the power differential is completely flipped.

That does make it messy imo cause that is flipping things to her now being the evil physical dominator and drawing a direct parallel between her and the rear end in a top hat which while almost certainly intentional is messy territory for a kids movie.
Tbh none of the sexism and sexual assault stuff fits in with the cartoon logic of the rest of the film its just there because 80s and women.

Mind you my reaction to the scene was simultaneously "you gently caress him up cheetah," and also "oh well you've killed him now haven't you" which I think is the intention. I don't think it's meant to shame the audience for wanting retribution.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

This exact same man quite literally tried to apprehend and assault or rape her earlier in the movie, only stopped by Diana. Why should she have any belief that he’s not a threat now?

Cause she has superpowers and super strength and he's crawling away from her as she boots him down the street lol

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Cause she has superpowers and super strength and he's crawling away from her as she boots him down the street lol

He tried to rape her, idiot. Twice. The gently caress is this “you’re so much stronger just fight him off lol lmao rofl” poo poo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The rapist being a grabby nonsense person as well instead of a real threat or just a cartoon bad guy was also real messy. Like he was awful, and his awfulness happens, but its just done in a cartoonish way with him being like a monstrous crab with horny clamps for hands.

e: like the dude got his chest caved in the other night in an incident with Barbara...then he just goes for the kill again like he didn't remember it?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the way she asks diana out for lunch is definitely meet-cutey and framed as a come-on, she then makes a big deal about how she expected diana to be "out" and says so a lot at the meal. (ofc she actually means out as in out and about town)

after watching the movie some stuff i didnt really agree with people on but i do think they are right that for those first 10 minutes or so she comes across as gay and not very subtly, but then they give her the pedro thing and she never really seems gay after that unless i'm missing some coding with her outfit.

i split the difference and just assume she's bisexual or curious and lonely so pretty much just goes for anyone who pays positive attention to her. i really like her and pedro's early scene together.

I’m asking this sincerely because I’m trying to figure it out in my own work. But how do you do a friendship with two people of the same sex without suggesting anything more than that?

What’s the right way to frame that?’

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
the cat caller grabby /attempted rape guy gets his rear end beat the gently caress down and this is the scene that tells us that Cheeta Kirstin Wiig has become a bad guy

kinda weird!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I’m asking this sincerely because I’m trying to figure it out in my own work. But how do you do a friendship with two people of the same sex without suggesting anything more than that?

What’s the right way to frame that?’

lol most movies have same sex friends man. It ain't hard. Just dont have the two of them go out on a date or fawn over each other. That breakfast they had together had huge first date from Tinder vibes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think the point isn't really whether or not the guy deserves to die, he's a rapist. The point is that casually killing the guy and enjoying it is probably not a good sign in terms of the path her character is on. The act itself isn't evil, it's just a red flag that she might be on the evil path. And she was, as it turns out she was completely losing herself due to the influence of the wishes.

The reason he's written as such a horrible character deserving of death is because that moment of "hell yea gently caress him up" is necessary so that you then get the slow turn into "hmmm, she seems a bit unhinged I hope she's not going off the deep end!"

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 5, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Both can be true.

He was a lovely drunken attempted rapist who sucks and probably deserved some punishment for his gross behavior

And

She was wrong and bad for abusing her position of power against someone functionally no longer a threat to her to the point of death/serious injury. She could have easily done what Diana did and just push him away and leave it at that, but instead she reveled in her power and used it to mete out punishment for her amusement.

These things don't have to be mutually exclusive, she can be justified in defending herself, and still be a villainous bad person for continuing to do so well past the point of necessity.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 5, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I think the point isn't really whether or not the guy deserves to die, he's a rapist. The point is that casually killing the guy and enjoying it is probably not a good sign in terms of the path her character is on. The act itself isn't evil, it's just a red flag that she might be on the evil path. And she was, as it turns out she was completely losing herself due to the influence of the wishes.

Which is confirmed because she's wearing a fur coat and heels, which is a huge character advancement, from when she couldn't wear heels.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Shageletic posted:

The rapist being a grabby nonsense person as well instead of a real threat or just a cartoon bad guy was also real messy. Like he was awful, and his awfulness happens, but its just done in a cartoonish way with him being like a monstrous crab with horny clamps for hands.

e: like the dude got his chest caved in the other night in an incident with Barbara...then he just goes for the kill again like he didn't remember it?

Yeah, a much better execution of that scene would be the attempted rapist recognizing Barbara and getting the hell away just in case her friend is around. Barbara still attacks him, despite him literally running away.

Yeah, my idea’s not great, guy’s still a nasty creep, but idk, I tried, which is more than I can say for this movie’s script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The rapist beat down was no different than Batman punching drug dealers or bank robbers. The only difference is Barbara had been personally attacked by this guy before and also she gets bad guy music