Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Warranty it cause you can't trust it to work when you need it anymore

It's four years old, I'm pretty sure it's well out of warranty. Also, I only use it as a secondary light to my dynamo powered stuff, so it's not critical.

I let it run all the way down and recharged it, works fine-ish again now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I know this is probably looked down upon by the cycling purists but I'm super enjoying my city's rental bike infrastructure nowadays. They're everywhere, well maintained, cheap (normal rate is 10 TWD/0.36 USD every 30min for the first 4 hours, but to encourage use they're subsidizing the first 10 TWD until March, so it's free for the first 30min), and super convenient. I now basically bike everywhere without even needing to lock up my bike or lug my Bromp.

The other day wife and I rode a renta-bike on our way home from seeing new years weekend festivities and busted out my iphone because we went right by a light show, and it was cool and good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvjXAwDqQSg

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
all bikes is good bikes

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I used to ride the poo poo out of bike shares before I got dick wood.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
They sure are.

I just wish I could buy more of them and also ride more of them.

I also recently did a test run down Taroko Gorge, this huge beautiful gorge in Taiwan with a road right through it. I finally figured out that I could mount a windscreen to my gopro on my mini gimbal and the sound is actually quite good, so I brought my Brompton on a family trip, and was gonna go down the whole length of the gorge the next day, then father-in-law had a health scare and we had to rush to the hospital and I couldn't record a full run, which was a bummer in a number of ways.

Need to ride back up there with my road bike for a proper run.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

LimburgLimbo posted:

I know this is probably looked down upon by the cycling purists but I'm super enjoying my city's rental bike infrastructure nowadays. They're everywhere, well maintained, cheap (normal rate is 10 TWD/0.36 USD every 30min for the first 4 hours, but to encourage use they're subsidizing the first 10 TWD until March, so it's free for the first 30min), and super convenient. I now basically bike everywhere without even needing to lock up my bike or lug my Bromp.

The other day wife and I rode a renta-bike on our way home from seeing new years weekend festivities and busted out my iphone because we went right by a light show, and it was cool and good.

That's awesome! Rental bikes are cool and good. Anything that makes cycling more accessible and helps proliferate cycling infrastructure is amazing. I put 600 miles on rental bikes in NYC before I bought a bicycle of my own.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Anything that makes cycling more accessible and helps proliferate cycling infrastructure is amazing.
This right here.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

every person on a rental bike is a person not on a dockless e-scooter, so there's another positive

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LimburgLimbo posted:

cycling purists

Shove each and every one of these dweebs in a locker.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok I guess I'm in metric form already. Never really broke 30F either.

Just don't ask me how my legs feel.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

jesus WEP posted:

every person on a rental bike is a person not on a dockless e-scooter, so there's another positive

:hmmyes:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

LimburgLimbo posted:

I’ve used them in SF, Seattle, Toronto and LA.

That is, until I started traveling with my Brompton.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

XIII posted:

Shove each and every one of these dweebs in a locker.

can we shove these guys in a locker too? https://www.velominati.com/comment-page-8/

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Dren posted:

can we shove these guys in a locker too? https://www.velominati.com/comment-page-8/

I'm sure I'm the one being trolled here, but like, it's a joke site from over a decade ago. Only idiots ever took it seriously, and surely nobody still does, right?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

bicievino posted:

I'm sure I'm the one being trolled here, but like, it's a joke site from over a decade ago. Only idiots ever took it seriously, and surely nobody still does, right?

you'd think, but https://cyclingtips.com/2017/03/commentary-forget-velominatis-rules-youre-not-wrong/

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I don't see how this refutes what I said, except I guess there are a lot more idiots out there than I realized? That's on me, no doubt.

I'll join you in hoping that 2021 will signal a year of less idiocy than the last.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Best post in this thread

Don't have to give a poo poo about dropping them if i"ve got twelve

also I ended up cutting two inner links off the chain anyway ,turns out "universal" ain't

My life has improved immeasurably since purchasing a little magnetic dish to hold all my bike crumbs while I work.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

I’ve used them in SF, Seattle, Toronto and LA.

That is, until I started traveling with my Brompton.

Speaking of travelling with Brompton, I've been doing that recently, but haven't put it to such good use until this last trip, and I took the Brompton through the gorge I mentioned in an earlier post.

Pretty happy with the quality here, and it's a real nice route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfWkw5BICDE

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
please dont get angry at me as i am very sensitive but is there a peloton thread

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yeah i think it's in the whole foods section

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

John Romero posted:

please dont get angry at me as i am very sensitive but is there a peloton thread

You mean like the spin bike and not general watching cycling races, right?
I don't think we ported the latter since it's not quite being outdoors.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

John Romero posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938033

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

John Romero posted:

Indoor trainer thread but it’s not specific to Peloton, and more geared to Kickr type bike trainers.

mystes
May 31, 2006

John Romero posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902494

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

John Romero posted:

I like this peloton thread:

https://twitter.com/ClueHeywood/status/1089923528722309120

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

John Romero posted:

Real talk, for the cost of one of those, you could buy a real bike, accessories, and a trainer, and you get the benefit of a bike you can use outside when the weather is better for you.

Or you can be insane like me and ride year round, even when it's below freezing out.

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 5, 2021

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

iospace posted:

Real talk, for the cost of one of those, you could buy a real bike, accessories, and a trainer, and you get the benefit of a bike you can use outside when the weather is better for you.

Or you can be insane like me and ride year round, even when it's below freezing out.

I'm taking a cool $1k off of it due to my employers preventative care benefit, I really like the programming, and I like the off bike stuff as well. I don't have a problem dropping some money on IRL bike stuff if I really cotton to it or just stick to the all around stuff they offer

also the wife wants it

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

AFAIK you can still subscribe and participate in Peloton programming with a non-Peloton smart trainer.

For the price of a stationary Peloton bike, you can buy a very nice real bike (or two!), a very nice smart trainer, and still have money leftover for subscriptions and accessories.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I learned how to track stand back when the only bike I had was my bike share bike. I like to think that it being heavy as hell and a step through made it a bit easier to figure out.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hot take: if you want a peloton, get one. I have a friend who is renting a spin bike from a local studio and she LOVES doing spin workouts at home. It doesn't interfere in any way with her ability to step outside and ride a "real" bike when the mood strikes.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
Peloton was my gateway drug into outdoor cycling and I think that if you want one, you should get it. It's a good product and the integration between their software and hardware is very good - it creates a seamless experience that makes it very quick to get on the bike and start taking a class when the mood strikes you. I've continued to use it even after I got a real bike and in addition to using it when the weather doesn't permit outdoor riding, I also find myself still doing quick 15-30 minute classes during the day or waking up early for a quick bike ride, neither of which I would be able to do with an outdoor ride.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

After righteously rejecting the joke list and claiming "all bikes are good", goons are very quick to poo poo on the deluxe stationary bike. Mind your own beeswax lol

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

After righteously rejecting the joke list and claiming "all bikes are good", goons are very quick to poo poo on the deluxe stationary bike. Mind your own beeswax lol

:hmmyes:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I started out 2020 by adding 2 spin classes a week to my existing 2-3 weightlifting sessions. I got a Peloton right when the lockdown hit and I couldn't work out at the gym any more, so I needed something i could easily fit into my schedule. I considered getting a smart trainer, but then I would have most likely needed to get bike that wasn't my daily driver to train on, and so would my wife - I've only got a gravel bike and she only has a step-through hybrid. Also getting bikes between street and apartment/house is a hassle in both places we've lived in this year.

I like it. I mostly use their FTP workouts and it's been great for me to keep baseline fitness. Getting a refurb'd one for half-off friends & family discount didn't hurt either and is definitely cheaper than a smart trainer + 1-2 bikes in capital outlay.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ignoring my recent defense of Peloton bikes, I will stand before God himself and argue that our own Bud Manstrong's Festive 500 finish this year somehow counts less than mine because he did part of it via Zwift. Who cares that he opened with a 100mi ride on day 1 or that he's stronger/faster than me? I CERTAINLY DON'T

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Peloton is more spin class which is way not like pretend bikes a la Zwift but I've been to a spin class and having some old stringy looking dude that looked like he could fold me in half despite being 120lbs yell at me while Drumm & bass was playing in the background was p drat fun.

They still deserve to get dunked on for their terrible marketing campaign tho.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I think the whole widget of Peloton getting people to exercise is good-ish, but they also have a huge VC-bro vibe. As for the hardware, the previous Peloton bike was a Wal-Mart BSO equivalent with its manual adjustment knob and power accuracy issues. The new "plus" version seems to have addressed those, but you're still getting less for your money than a StagesBike SB20 or a Wahoo KICKR Bike.

So maybe (almost) all cycling is good, but definitely not all bikes are.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 5, 2021

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Peloton is more spin class which is way not like pretend bikes a la Zwift but I've been to a spin class and having some old stringy looking dude that looked like he could fold me in half despite being 120lbs yell at me while Drumm & bass was playing in the background was p drat fun.

They still deserve to get dunked on for their terrible marketing campaign tho.

I very much want to lead a spin class that's just me and a bunch of other tatted up former skater punks listening to lovely -core music with lyrics about doing pushups and being mad at your stepdad(s), while we take swigs from our water bottles that we all filled up with PBR in the parking lot.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Hit a raccoon today. What's the likelihood that it survived?

I don't think it broke stride from one side of the street to the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Raccoons are p big so probably ok.