Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Candrr
Nov 29, 2018
How is the guild pop. and the game pop. I am thinking about jumping in, I am bored of the other mmos I play, and I am a huge Lotr fan. Just wondering if I am gonna have any Goons to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Candrr posted:

How is the guild pop. and the game pop. I am thinking about jumping in, I am bored of the other mmos I play, and I am a huge Lotr fan. Just wondering if I am gonna have any Goons to play with.

The game pop is small but stable I think, the latest shift in ownership revealed some metrics that indicated there were around 108,000 active players, 41,000 of which were paying subscribers.

It’s no WoW or even an ESO, but it’ll probably be around for a while.

There’s a goon guild on Landroval, but I’ve no idea how active it is because I still haven’t managed to be online at the same time as the people who have invite privileges.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Candrr posted:

Lord of the Rings is up there with Star Wars, Star Trek, and Harry Potter as one of the biggest, most popular IPs of all time. You will never have to realistically worry if the game is healthy enough to stay alive. If you love LotR, than you will love playing this.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
It's been remarkably stable and will be continually populated by old heads who won't ever play anything else.

I really do hope they iterate and improve on the progression server idea - as in stay in Moria for an extended period of time or permanently.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Man, they seriously need to copy ff14's potency format for their tooltips. "4187-4794 light damage" is just needlessly hard to parse when it could have said "light damage with a potency of 250" or whatever instead.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Bobfly posted:

Man, they seriously need to copy ff14's potency format for their tooltips. "4187-4794 light damage" is just needlessly hard to parse when it could have said "light damage with a potency of 250" or whatever instead.

counterpoint: FF14’s potency format is dumb

4187-4794 gives you the actual damage interval which is a lot more useful than some abstract multiplier

like most old MMOs it could probably do with a numbers squash at some point but that’s another thing

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Bobfly posted:

Idk what that is but it sounds bad.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
It just lists a multiplier common among all abilities, makes them way easier to compare. The actual damage numbers will change with your stats, of course, but the relative power is constant, which I assume is the case in this game too. So with tooltips listing potencies, you know at a glance that your 250 potency ability is 2.5 times as powerful as your 100 potency ability without having to divide 10500 by 4200. I don't agree that you need at any point to know the exact damage intervals for your skills. Not for figuring out your rotation, which is the primary reason, I think, for looking at tooltips.
But, like, whatever. Some people like this approach better, and that's fine. It's probably a lot of work to change them, too.

Bobfly fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 3, 2021

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I dont think lotro has any skills that suddenly become obsolete because you hit level 5 and they rename the skill like ff14 though so its completely unnecessary

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
It's a bit hacky, but if you unequip your weapons and then look at the tooltip you'll see the multiplier over base weapon damage. It's not perfect, because there are also stat- and level-dependent additive constants, but it at least helps in comparing skills.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 4, 2021

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Huh, that might be exactly what I was pining for! Thanks for the tip :)

And I seriously wasn't trying to make this about one game vs another, I just remain overwhelmed at trying to figure out my warden rotation and was looking to the tooltips in frustration. I'll get there!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Bobfly posted:

And I seriously wasn't trying to make this about one game vs another, I just remain overwhelmed at trying to figure out my warden rotation and was looking to the tooltips in frustration. I'll get there!

Wardens IMO have a lot of skill bloat, so that's completely understandable. I'm too lazy to rearrange my bars, so I've got skills on there that I've used maybe once in the past 50 levels.

When I was starting out, I found it helped to just focus on properly executing the gambit chains. Unless you're seriously underleveled or soloing group content most world mobs will die before you've completed all the steps, but training yourself to be able to execute a series of gambits without thinking will be extremely helpful in the long run.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, having potency on your skills instead of "this deals 6453.21 points of damage" is really good. i really wish all the mmos would copy that since it makes parsing skill tooltips way easier. exact number of damage you're doing is irrelevant anyway since it changes every time you get new gear/stats, and is in turn countered by infated enemy hp for that level.

e: i guess games without level sync can kinda get away with it, but i'm playing some gw2 again and even overworld is levelsync'd there and the numbers keep changing

Truga fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 4, 2021

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
In a perfect world there would just be a key you can press when looking at a tooltip to toggle between showing the formula and the raw damage. But the only place I've ever seen do that is incremental games, MMOs all seem to want to obfuscate their damage formulas behind like 3 different levels of nested formulas with coefficients that have to be determined experimentally. Every time I gear up in LOTRO I have to dig up my Mathematica workbook and the damage formula page on the lotro wiki to determine the relative worth of crit vs physical mastery.

m3talh3ad
Jan 28, 2005
Are transfers still down if your old characters were on Silverlode?

Something gave me the itch again, so I downloaded and would love to play. I figured I'd start something new to get the swing of things again, but I would still like to dust off my ancient characters and see where the hell I left things.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Are the rumors of a graphical overhaul true?

I know that they'd be in two separate eras, but it'd be interesting to see two Middle Earth MMOs at once with comparable graphics. (Though I think the Amazon MMO may be a trash fire based on the development I've seen)

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Random question but does this game have things like puzzles or mazes that I will come across frequently, or reward exploration outside of just tunneling toward your quest objectives? Those things are nice in an MMO to me to make it seem more than a monster slaying simulator and help build the world.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I'm not aware of anything that I'd really consider to be a puzzle or maze (with the exception of some holiday content). There are achievements for exploration, which award virtue xp and cash shop points.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Ort posted:

Random question but does this game have things like puzzles or mazes that I will come across frequently, or reward exploration outside of just tunneling toward your quest objectives? Those things are nice in an MMO to me to make it seem more than a monster slaying simulator and help build the world.

Some zones have collection deeds as well, sometimes to find stuff off the beaten path but more often drops from enemies or a combination. Like the buttons in goblin-town and all the stuff in the dungeons. Moria has a riddles questline scattered around the areas. Some areas encourage you to follow the path of the fellowship looking for signs they've been through. Stuff like that. Zones will have the regular exploration deeds to find all the areas, but they can also have statues or other things to find.

The only mazes I've seen in regular content are figuring out how to path around some of the areas that have dead ends or aren't as clear on the map. Many of the exploration deeds will require you to explore around on your own since the quests don't always take you everywhere. There's some hidden deeds you can try to find as well. Moria has some for jumping to your death into some of the deepest pits, in addition to the well in the chamber of crossroads.

I can only speak for the first 65ish levels so far, I'd assume they keep it up though since its easy enough busywork for the players.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ort posted:

Most zones have lore and exploration deeds (not sure if you're already familiar with the game, but if you aren't, deeds are like achievements that also reward you with premium currency). In the Bree-land starting zone, for instance, there's a deed where you have to visit every ancient ruin on the map. In the Misty Mountains, you get to search for the coat buttons Bilbo lost when he was captured by the goblins. Sometimes they're not obvious, but there's a whole lot of them throughout the game.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Thanks for the responses. Mostly I’m wondering if the world feels like you’re always on rails, or if there’s that extra chest or whatever down the corner of the dungeon the quest didn’t take you down.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ort posted:

Thanks for the responses. Mostly I’m wondering if the world feels like you’re always on rails, or if there’s that extra chest or whatever down the corner of the dungeon the quest didn’t take you down.

On a larger scale, you’re always going to be somewhat railroaded since there’s no level syncing outside group content, which means you’ll be doing the zones and expansions in roughly the order the developers intended. IMO this isn’t bad, because it makes the main quest and storyline stronger (your personal story runs parallel to the plot of the books).

On a smaller scale, I wouldn’t say there’s much railroading. LotRO is still an old-school MMO, so there’s not much hand-holding compared to newer ones. In addition to the various crafting materials, there’s treasure chests and other non-quest related things to loot scattered here and there, so random exploration is rarely pointless.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ort posted:

Maybe check out Dungeons & Dragons Online, that one has quite a bit of that stuff as far as I know.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Having fun as a Minstrel right now. I am currently level 7 in the Shire, on the Landroval server. I like the scale of the world as a hobbit, and playing a DPS minstrel is not something I expected, nor did I expect a gittern to sound like it is playing the opening riffs of "Crazy on You."

Edit: Also any tips on playing Minstrel would be great

Diabetic fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 3, 2021

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Diabetic posted:

Are the rumors of a graphical overhaul true?

I know that they'd be in two separate eras, but it'd be interesting to see two Middle Earth MMOs at once with comparable graphics. (Though I think the Amazon MMO may be a trash fire based on the development I've seen)

Back from a big break sorry for the posts I missed, I would doubt 90% of everything from the new investors claims about console ports, new engines, just anything that you can't do with 10 people balancing 2 MMOs both with ancient code and many people who created it fired, and probably having forgotten most of their work on it and how to fix it or update it.

Something like more new character model updates, NPC updates and landscape updates in old regions is something within their general capability and would not surprise me.

Also: War of Three Peaks is pretty good, but with a huge *for a quest pack pretending to be a mini...expansion pack, and as someone who only had to spend 8 dollars to get it now that it's on the store and I've been saving points a long while. Missions are not new, they're slightly fun daily quests called missions, but unlocked pretty immediately instead of gated at the very end of the content. The terrain is interesting but not the best in the game by far. It's very good gear to make the next quest pack or raid easier, something fun to do if you've been at 130 for what feels like years. Mainly: It's new instances and a new raid. People seem to pub/pug the 6 man instance called something something Stairs nightly. The rest is probably mostly organized by kins.

And while the Amazon game will probably look good and be new, I'm still doubting it being an MMO unless they set the release date to 2027. For it to even have an open beta within a couple years, based on what I'm hearing it'd have to be a very rushed action RPG/co-op game without much lore, which I'm betting it is regardless.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

https://lotro.com/en/game/articles/letter-executive-producer-rob-ciccolini-february-2021

Update 29 is supposed to be this month. Maybe next week hopefully? It has a minor graphics tech update, but it's a weird add because it basically only affects indoor zones. It does make moria and thorin's gate and some other places look a lot better though. Wildwoods should be pretty sweet. Nice to have a level 40 zone that isn't Misty Mountains or Angmar or whatever level 40 is now.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
From the one fat Yani looking dev stream their "goal" is to do a lot of graphical updates prior to amazon's lord of the rings show so they can retain the players that it brings. Along with a legendary item rework. But with as convoluted and bad as LI's are and have always been, I don't think they'll accomplish much, it needs to be burnt to the ground.

They keep trying to hamstring people's ability to rank up legendary items, but I can go buy 100 scrolls for $6 instead of taking 2 months or whatever it is to max out one of the abilities.

For as much money as lotro brings in their priorities are hosed. 99% of their resources are put into the next content pack instead of unfucking the existing portions of the game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cutedge posted:

https://lotro.com/en/game/articles/letter-executive-producer-rob-ciccolini-february-2021

Update 29 is supposed to be this month. Maybe next week hopefully? It has a minor graphics tech update, but it's a weird add because it basically only affects indoor zones. It does make moria and thorin's gate and some other places look a lot better though. Wildwoods should be pretty sweet. Nice to have a level 40 zone that isn't Misty Mountains or Angmar or whatever level 40 is now.

I haven't played for awhile but 39-41 was Forochel (after clearing Evendim or whatever that area is called) and maybe Trollshawls the last time I leveled a character. Then Eregion at 42 or 43. Mist Mountains I remember being awful because you spent so much time running back and forth but maybe that's changed. :shurg:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Time for your friendly neighbourhood Liftime account holder to do his yearly checkin.

They are still honoring the Turbine points deal and I'm once again sitting on 46K free points which have accumulated over the last year. Is there anything I can buy for the Nazgun again?

Also I'm kinda tempted to play a little, in the most casual way possible. Which class is the most suitable if I just wanted to derp around a bit, do some quests, a little crafting and exploration and maybe group up for a random dungeon once in a blue moon? Back when the game came out I was one of the first level 50ies on my server, but that was pre-Moria and on the Euro servers and I have forgotten almost everything I ever knew about the game. Apart from Captain I played Warden, Runekeeper and dabbled a little in Hunter.

Also upgraded to an ultra-wide monitor last year and it's fun how immersive it makes the game (gotta adjust the interface ofc).

https://i.imgur.com/y1JLWqp.mp4

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
That's a pretty screen capture for a 12 years old game !

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

AskYourself posted:

That's a pretty screen capture for a 12 years old game !

It's holding up surprisingly well for such an old game, especially for an mmo. I think that the true beauty of the game is that the developers really "get" Lotr. The atmosphere, the music, the whole surroundings often feel like I imagined Middle Earth when reading the books. I also think it's the most relaxing mmorpg there is, you can just wander the countryside for hours, doing your own thing and are not stressed into constantly grinding gear or resources.

If they really do a graphics overhaul and add some quality of life features, like bigger inventory icons, then I might play it way more.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

It's holding up surprisingly well for such an old game, especially for an mmo. I think that the true beauty of the game is that the developers really "get" Lotr. The atmosphere, the music, the whole surroundings often feel like I imagined Middle Earth when reading the books. I also think it's the most relaxing mmorpg there is, you can just wander the countryside for hours, doing your own thing and are not stressed into constantly grinding gear or resources.

Agreed 110%

Hammerstein posted:

If they really do a graphics overhaul and add some quality of life features, like bigger inventory icons, then I might play it way more.

The only thing that really bugs me right now is that you can modify the UI pretty much however you want it, but it's apparently impossible to change the default font used for in-game floating text. It's not Comic Sans-level bad by a long shot, but it doesn't always scale well on higher resolutions and it'd be nice to have the option to switch it out for a nice, crisp serif that doesn't print everything in all-caps.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Comrade Koba posted:

The only thing that really bugs me right now is that you can modify the UI pretty much however you want it, but it's apparently impossible to change the default font used for in-game floating text. It's not Comic Sans-level bad by a long shot, but it doesn't always scale well on higher resolutions and it'd be nice to have the option to switch it out for a nice, crisp serif that doesn't print everything in all-caps.

I'm playing at 3440x1440 now and my main problem is that the icons of the stuff in my bags, are just way too tiny.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The last I played was whatever content pack came after Mordor (2 years? 3 years?). At the time, the hitching problem was so annoying that I just couldn't take it anymore. Have they addressed that at all?

Vendors were painful too - the game obviously stopped rendering while waiting on server calls, or something to that nature.

And did they ever do that LI revamp, or is it still "welcome back! Now go get 500 scrolls, probably from old rear end Minas Tirith dailies"?

I also was getting really tired of the gearing system going more and more socket oriented, which heavily relied on store garbage to unsocket and adjust. I assume that's probably still the case?

Couldn't agree more on LOTRO, for it's many, many faults, is still an amazing realization of middle earth, and is why I still dip in every few years and go through missed content. It's just boring bear rear end quests, but I love the world and for an ancient game, the visuals hold up.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 30, 2021

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

xZAOx posted:

The last I played was whatever content pack came after Mordor (2 years? 3 years?). At the time, the hitching problem was so annoying that I just couldn't take it anymore. Have they addressed that at all?

The 64-bit client upgrade helped quite a bit client side, and their servers haven't seemed to be as stressed of late.

xZAOx posted:

And did they ever do that LI revamp, or is it still "welcome back! Now go get 500 scrolls, probably from old rear end Minas Tirith dailies"?

Oh, you'll *love* this news - they changed LIs to nerf doing old rear end dailies if you're not level-appropriate.

https://massivelyop.com/2021/02/01/lotro-patches-further-adjustments-to-troubled-legendary-item-grind/

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Lum_ posted:

Oh, you'll *love* this news - they changed LIs to nerf doing old rear end dailies if you're not level-appropriate.

https://massivelyop.com/2021/02/01/lotro-patches-further-adjustments-to-troubled-legendary-item-grind/

....hahahhhahaha. Wow. Way to make a bad situation worse, lol. And they're all bound now too, so you can't just throw extra currency to skip it.

Just hilarious, lol.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Just hilarious, lol.

Yeah, the LI grind is why I've taken a break for now. I'd like to level new characters but these days the best content is Gondor and later which is when you need an imbued legendary or else you'll get smacked repeatedly.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I've been waiting for the LI revamp for 4 years, surely this year will be the one they actually do it right? I really have to wonder how much money they make of LI items on the store cause I don't think I am the only person that gave up on the game due to the crappy LI grind on alts.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Fried Sushi posted:

I've been waiting for the LI revamp for 4 years, surely this year will be the one they actually do it right? I really have to wonder how much money they make of LI items on the store cause I don't think I am the only person that gave up on the game due to the crappy LI grind on alts.

All we got in the Letter from the Producer last month was:

quote:

For Legendary Items, our focus this year will be to speed up LI leveling for players not at end-game and make our newer regions more appealing for people working on their items.
So I wouldn't get my hopes up. It really sucks, I've been wanting to play through Volume III and the Black Book from start to finish on an alt but there's no way I'm doing that until LIs are unfucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I see a teaser for the next expansion dropped...
https://twitter.com/GuardianAus/status/1379291389213609984