Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

HM: Hiromu Takahashi vs. Taiji Ishimori, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15, 05/01

2nd. Honestly a bit disappointed in Hiromu. It lacked that certain something you just come to expect from him & yet it was still extremely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
MOTYC: Kota Ibushi vs Jay White NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 05.01

God fought the Devil and it owned.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MOTYC: Kota Ibushi (C) vs. Switchblade Jay White for the IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Championships - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 2 - 1/5

Completely different style of match to Naito/Ibushi and Okada/Ospreay (and of course Takagi/Cobb) but no less excellent. A perfect face/heel combo, fantastic match structure, great close-calls and pitch-perfect callbacks to their history. Just an utterly superb match, during the final phase I was on the edge of my seat, it was a masterclass in anticipation/fear. What a match.

Cerebral Bore posted:

:perfect:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

2nd

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Huntman posted:

MOTYC: Shingo Takagi vs Jeff Cobb NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 05.01

The NEVER Openweight Championship really is the best belt in NJPW

Cerebral Bore posted:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MOTYC: Jay White vs. Kota Ibushi, NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15, 05/01

Ultimate good vs ultimate evil in an epic marathon

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

nth

IIII
BUUUU
SHIIII

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Perfect description. Nth. 5*+. Awesome match

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Kota Ibushi (C) vs. Switchblade Jay White for the IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Championships - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 2 - 1/5

Completely different style of match to Naito/Ibushi and Okada/Ospreay (and of course Takagi/Cobb) but no less excellent. A perfect face/heel combo, fantastic match structure, great close-calls and pitch-perfect callbacks to their history. Just an utterly superb match, during the final phase I was on the edge of my seat, it was a masterclass in anticipation/fear. What a match.

Nth for all these reasons. And I'll add a holy poo poo these guys are so smooth together. Seriously making counters and transitions look effortless.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Ibushi vs Naito

They took 1.5 over 1.4 all by themselves.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

JOHN CENA posted:

i will edit this post over the weekend.

MOTYC
Kota Ibushi vs Jay White - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 2

Honorable Mention
KOPW Ranbo - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 1
Shingo Takagi vs Jeff Cobb - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 2
Hiromu Takahashi vs Taiji Ishimori - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 2
Kazuchika Okada vs Will Ospreay - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 1
Tetsuya Naito vs Kota Ibushi - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 1
Hiromu Takahashi vs El Phantasmo - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 1

this post will no longer be edited as of jan 5, 2021

final nominations for the weekend.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JOHN CENA posted:

final nominations for the weekend.

Oh I knew you were adding nominations but I didn't realize you were changing ones you had already made :gonk:

Edit: Luckily it didn't affect anything!

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

MOTYC - Naito v Ibushi
MOTYC - Okada v Ospreay
HM - Takahashi v El Phantasmo

MOTYC - Ibushi v White
MOTYC - Takagi v Cobb
HM - Ishimori v Takahashi

I don't think they can put the genie back in the bottle but if that was all one night that would have been an all time card. Otherwise it's too separate fantastic cards.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
WK 5/1

HM: hiromu v ishimori

motyc: Shingo v Cobb
motyc : Ibushi v White

It was a very good wrestle kingdom. There are 4 matches across the 2 nights that id not argue if someone said it was their favourite match.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Nominations from both shows. Great, great stuff both nights.

MOTYC
Okada vs Ospreay
Ibushi vs. Naito
Cobb vs. Shingo
Ibushi vs. Jay White

HM
GoD vs. Dangerous Tekkers
EVIL vs. SANADA
Hiromu vs. Ishimori

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Actually I'm feeling generous and I liked it so why not

hm: evil v SANADA

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I'll nth it

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 January 5th
MOTYC

Jeff Cobb vs Shingo Takagi
Jay White vs Kota Ibushi

HM
Taiji Ishimori vs Hiromu Takahashi

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC: Shingo Takagi vs Jeff Cobb NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 05.01

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Drew McIntyre (C) vs. Keith Lee for the WWE Championship - Raw 1/4

nthing both of these

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC

Jay White vs Kota Ibushi

HM

Burn Down Canberra posted:

nth

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

RealFoxy posted:

MOTYC Miyu Yamashita vs Maki Itoh (TJPW Korakuen 2021 - January 4th)

I've heard a lot of people mentioning that Maki Itoh is their "favorite wrestler they've never seen wrestle before" and if you're in that camp, this is probably the one to watch.

Although pretty story-driven and plays off years of their on/off again feuding, they do a great job catching you up before and during the match. Maki Itoh is a rebellious brat who always bites off more than can chew and sees Yamashita as one of her greatest rivals that she's got to overcome. Itoh tends to proclaim that everyone is her rival that she can't beat and then throws a tantrum if her friends or tag-team partners get more popular than she does, dumping them and challenging them to a fight. Itoh's been trying unsuccessfully since her debut at ever defeating Yamashita

Miyu Yamashita on the other hand bounces between the company's Champion/Ace and working with the rookies to elevate TJPW as a whole. Beating Itoh is a little beneath her as one of the best women in the world right now, but nonetheless she always considers Itoh her friend and constantly tries to show her affection or respect but Itoh constantly pushes her away and gives her the middle finger instead. They have a sort of big sister/little sister vibe, Miyu obviously likes Itoh a lot.

The match itself shows how far Itoh's come as a wrestler since her debut, taking everything Miyu's got while begging for more, with Itoh pulling out some brand new moves and some surprising counters that she's learned from wrestling with and against Miyu for so long.

https://twitter.com/OBEYBrookes/status/1346079663051837444

You can watch the match with English commentary on DDT Universe featuring Chris Brookes for like $8 a month with a free month trial, or you can track down the Japanese audio on Ameba in two parts (Free! No signup required!) Part One and Part Two

Hey now that y'all have gotten the Wrestlekingdom out of your system, watch this match that RealFoxy did a great summary of why it's great.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
MOTYC: Jeff Cobb vs Shingo Takagi

I am no longer afraid of the police.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Cerebral Bore posted:

nth

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

WMOTYC: Chase Owens vs Bad Luck Fale vs Toru Yano vs BUSHI - WK15 1.5

Dont put this poo poo on WK

I wasn't going to second this because I thought the action was fine and not worth the nomination. But then I thought about it again and now I have to agree with the nomination.

It's not so much about the match quality, which wasn't catastrophic even if it wasn't good either. It's about the idea of doing this match with these exact wrestlers in it at that exact event.

I like the concept of KOPW and think it's pretty fun and/or funny, or at least can be when the right people are involved. I don't think NJPW needs to intentionally try to inject variety into its shows because the wrestlers themselves can usually take care of that themselves by, you know, just having different matches with varying stories, pacing, psychology, atmosphere etc. But sure, KOPW matches can let the wrestlers try something new and bring out a different side to themselves. The match at Jingu for example was actually really fun and cool and different from what NJPW usually does.

However, this match was just all wrong, including (and especially) its setup in the Ranbo. Give some of NJPW's best talent mere minutes in the ring to have some lame rumble action and then in the end have the dirt worst talent on the entire (incredibly talented) roster win. That's already hosed up. I understand why Yano was in the match, but like I said in the GDT, they could have had nearly LITERALLY ANYONE ELSE than Fale, Chase and BUSHI in this match. NJPW Dads vs Yano could've been awesome! Young Lions + Yano could've been awesome! Yano vs his fellow CHAOS boys could've been awesome! A healthy mix of those could've been awesome! Fine, put Fale in there and it could still be awesome! The participants could only have been worse if Yujiro had replaced Yano.

Secondly, the event. If this match had happened at a random Road To show or even New Year's Dash!! it would've been much less infuriating. People don't expect greatness or the most amazing lineups from those kinds of NJPW shows. However, this was WRESTLE KINGDOM! The show that's routinely the best of the year! The one where you have to pull out all the stops because that's when you get the new viewers curious about this whole NJPW thing. That's when you get back the fans who for whatever reason couldn't keep up with the product. The eyes of the pro wrestling world are on Wrestle Kingdom, and then they book a lame rear end match with their worst talent to open the second day. They could've run just about anything else in place of this loving match and it would've been better.

Like GWB said, don't put this poo poo on WK. Why would you? I guess the four participants might've gotten a nice paycheck from this but otherwise zero people benefited from this. Everyone involved is a joke, the KOPW is a joke and one of the opening matches of WK is a joke. No one tuning in to WK for the first time ever is going to think NJPW is good if they see that match first. Do not put this poo poo on Wrestle Kingdom.

Anyway, that's way too many words about a match that didn't deserve them.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 5, 2021

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Wrestle Kingdom Night 2

HM: EVIL vs. SANADA
MOTYC: Hiromu Takahashi vs. Taiji Ishimori
MOTYC: Jay White vs. Kota Ibushi

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I reflexively posted an Nth to White/Ibushi since I watched it live when I meant to do a big nomination post. Whoops.

From what I've seen so far, here are my nominations:
MOTYC - Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay - WK15 Night 1 (1/4)
MOTYC - Jeff Cobb vs. Shingo Takagi - WK15 Night 2 (1/5)

Cobb/Takagi had me yelling at my TV. Absolutely astounding match. If it had more of a story ala White/Ibushi, I'd easily put it as my MOTY thus far.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

MOTYC: Shingo vs Cobb

Man being a wrestling booker would be so easy, I'd just have Shingo wrestle every match.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC

Jay White vs Kota Ibushi

HM

Nth. White is literally the devil

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

A 2020 match for you that just aired today

HM
25th December 2020
Freedoms Blood Xmas
King of Freedoms Tag Team Titles
Mammoth Sasaki & Violento Jack vs Brahman Kei & Brahman Shu

The other day I was bemoaning Brahman Bros being a team I'd only want to see in Great Space Wars matches but I was a fool. This is top shenanigans nonsense. Jack and Sasaki really go with it. It's a clusterfuck in the most joyful way. Jack and Sasaki are an underrated team

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 6, 2021

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Lily Catts posted:

MOTYC
Maki Itoh vs Miyu Yamashita
Yuka Sakazaki vs Rika Tatsumi

HM
Sakisama & Mei Saint-Michel vs Sena Shiori & Hikari Noa
Nodoka Tenma & Yuki Aino vs Yuki Kamifuki & Mahiro Kiryu

All from TJPW Korakuen 2021, 1/4

Late on this, but yes to all of those.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

A 2020 match for you that just aired today

HM
25th December 2020
Freedoms Blood Xmas
King of Freedoms Tag Team Titles
Mammoth Sasaki & Violento Jack vs Brahman Kei & Brahman Shu

The other day I was bemoaning Brahman Bros being a team I'd only want to see in Great Space Wars matches but I was a fool. This is too shenanigans nonsense. Jack and Sasaki really go with it. It's a clusterfuck in the most joyful way. Jack and Sasaki are an underrated team

2nd. I took my girlfriend to this show because she wanted to spend time together on Christmas and I was a little worried about her seeing FREEDOMS but she loved this match. Apparently the ending is a reference to some popular Japanese Christmas movie

Also from the same show

MOTYC: Jun Kasai & Kenji Fukimoto vs. Toshiyuki Sakuda & Takayuki Ueki

This was Ueki's FREEDOMS debut and he pulled off one of the best individual performances of the year. Absolute madman. Sakuda remains an evil loving gnome of a man.

MOTYC: Toru Sugiura (c) vs. Masashi Takeda for the King of FREEDOMS

People who tell you that Go Shiozaki was the best champion in Japan in 2020 haven't been watching FREEDOMS. Sugiura had an absolutely stellar reign where he made it through all the pillars of FREEDOMS including beating Takeda himself via blood loss in August. The story going in was that Sugiura needed to beat Takeda to establish himself as the true champion and he told that story of desperation perfectly.

https://twitter.com/b3rt4/status/1346478121000738820?s=19

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Wrestle Kingdom 15

night 1
motyc okada v ospreay
motyc naito v ibushi
hm hiromu v elp
hm taich/zsj vs g.o.d

night 2
motyc shing cobb
motyc white v ibushi
hm hiromu v ishimori

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Jun Kasai & Kenji Fukimoto vs. Toshiyuki Sakuda & Takayuki Ueki

This was Ueki's FREEDOMS debut and he pulled off one of the best individual performances of the year. Absolute madman. Sakuda remains an evil loving gnome of a man.

https://twitter.com/b3rt4/status/1346478121000738820?s=19

2nd

Ueki was loving recklessly insane even by death match standards and that one spot with the lemons, good lord what a visual.

I can't believe someone from this match is now.a champion in All Japan but I love it

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Finally got through to the finish of WK.

Motyc: Kota Ibushi vs Jay White.

I don't think I've ever watched a match where the outcome was so obvious yet the action was so good. I felt like Ibushi was White's superior all match but Jay just had that "Dark fighting spirit" which prevented him from being a total loser. What a loving match, NJPW will have a hard time topping this one in 2021 .

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

2nd this as well. I can't believe I ended up getting back into death matches. At least it is a higher calibre than watching fat dudes in the gross old IWA Mid South ring

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

a cyborg mug posted:

I wasn't going to second this because I thought the action was fine and not worth the nomination. But then I thought about it again and now I have to agree with the nomination.

Your post absolutely convinced me and I'm seconding the WMOTYC nomination for The KOPW 4-Way at Wrestle Kingdom Night 2 now. It was absolutely the worst place and time to have this match, especially considering all the alternative participants they could have had.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

3rd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC

Jay White vs Kota Ibushi

HM

Nthing these. I thought the main event was a little too long (specifically the first act) and more than anything else it would've benefited from the crowd noise.

That said, hearing Shingo and Cobb beat the poo poo out of each other and have it echo all throughout the dome like that was loving awesome and BEEF BOYS #1!