Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I rewatched Aliens this past week. Lance Henriksen is a national treasure and he's not even the best part of the movie.

I do prefer the basic Xenomorph design in Alien to the more armored look in Aliens, but the Queen is still an absolutely amazing effect today and looks cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Any chance Dallas was just thirsty, and Argentinian?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For those who want to get in the festive spirit, remember that ‘Prometheus’ is a Christmas movie. :v:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Spent Xmas Day talking with my Dad about all the cool behind-the-scenes stuff from the Aliens video a few posts back.

Then spent the evening watching Aliens.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Carrion has a new Christmas campaign thing

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

In an attempt to feel positive emotions this year, I've been down the rabbit hole of reaction videos on Youtube, and there are a lot of good ones for Aliens. If you're wanting to see what other people think about Aliens, I would recommend going to Youtube and searching "Aliens 1986 reactions" and similar. Usually they're reacting after watching Alien, and in the beginning are all "I'm not sure about this one because the title is "AlienS", PLURAL, which means there's probably going to be more than one". It's obvious early on if they're watching the director's cut or not, and from there you can anticipate how they react to the different developments. The Director's Cut ruins the suspense of just where and how Ripley gets involved with the xenomorphs again, but has the "oh poo poo" reveal of the time jump emphasized with the fate of her daughter, and from there Newt's "Mommy!" at the end hits that much harder. The Theatrical Cut keeps the reactor in suspense as to the fate of LV-426, even though they can pretty much guess what's happened to the colony as soon as they learn contact has been lost, and has more suspense in that way. Either way, my favorite part is always "Get away from her you BITCH!" and the fist-pumps, "gently caress yeah!"s and "Oh, it's ON NOW!"s that ensue.

I've only been following this thread the last month or so, so this may have been covered before. But I wanted to post something up in case anyone wants to see other people thinking about Aliens.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Beef Hardcheese posted:

In an attempt to feel positive emotions this year, I've been down the rabbit hole of reaction videos on Youtube, and there are a lot of good ones for Aliens. If you're wanting to see what other people think about Aliens, I would recommend going to Youtube and searching "Aliens 1986 reactions" and similar. Usually they're reacting after watching Alien, and in the beginning are all "I'm not sure about this one because the title is "AlienS", PLURAL, which means there's probably going to be more than one". It's obvious early on if they're watching the director's cut or not, and from there you can anticipate how they react to the different developments. The Director's Cut ruins the suspense of just where and how Ripley gets involved with the xenomorphs again, but has the "oh poo poo" reveal of the time jump emphasized with the fate of her daughter, and from there Newt's "Mommy!" at the end hits that much harder. The Theatrical Cut keeps the reactor in suspense as to the fate of LV-426, even though they can pretty much guess what's happened to the colony as soon as they learn contact has been lost, and has more suspense in that way. Either way, my favorite part is always "Get away from her you BITCH!" and the fist-pumps, "gently caress yeah!"s and "Oh, it's ON NOW!"s that ensue.

I've only been following this thread the last month or so, so this may have been covered before. But I wanted to post something up in case anyone wants to see other people thinking about Aliens.
Mrs Splicer hadn't seen Aliens so when we watched it we did the director's cut but I skipped through the colony scene. I consider this the definitive cut.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Splicer posted:

Mrs Splicer hadn't seen Aliens so when we watched it we did the director's cut but I skipped through the colony scene. I consider this the definitive cut.

Please stop gaslighting your wife.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
My definitive cut would likewise omit the pre-infestation colony stuff. I would also cut the brief bit where Hudson, of all people, speculates about a queen.

All the other Special Edition stuff is good.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mutant Headcrab posted:

My definitive cut would likewise omit the pre-infestation colony stuff. I would also cut the brief bit where Hudson, of all people, speculates about a queen.

All the other Special Edition stuff is good.

Hudson's monologue on the dropship and Sgt. Apone telling him to sit down and STFU is priceless.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Hudson's monologue on the dropship and Sgt. Apone telling him to sit down and STFU is priceless.

Picking Al Matthews for the role given that he was actual marine was a casting masterstroke similar to when R. Lee Ermey as cast in Full Metal Jacket

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Biplane posted:

Please stop gaslighting your wife.
lol she knew we were skipping a bit, we watched it as a deleted scene deal afterwards

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I checked someone's rap sheet and saw this as their probe reason and laughed.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
HBO2 is running an Alien marathon right now, starting with Prometheus, going thru the Alien quadrilogy, and finishing with AVP: Alien vs. Predator.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Splicer posted:

I think the colony scene should be a DVD featurette rather than part of the main movie.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Thought of Aliens when I saw a dumb facebook meme:

Pick a movie
Keep one actor
The rest are muppets

Hudson as a muppet is good but Hudson freaking out at a bunch of muppets is real good too.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

zenguitarman posted:

Pick a movie
Keep one actor
The rest are muppets

Hudson as a muppet is good but Hudson freaking out at a bunch of muppets is real good too.

Burke as a human, the rest muppets. Mainly thinking about the scene where he's confronted about letting the facehuggers loose and how great it would be to have a bunch of muppets berate and threaten a distressed paul reiser.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
just heard aliens is cancelled because vasquez was played by a white woman??

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

Pick a movie
Keep one actor
The rest are muppets

Bishop being the only human actor would be hilarious. Just the irony that the only non-muppet in the movie is an artificial person.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Bishop being the only human actor would be hilarious. Just the irony that the only non-muppet in the movie is an artificial person.

I would absolutely watch this movie.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gasmask posted:

Go away.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

zenguitarman posted:

Pick a movie
Keep one actor
The rest are muppets

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Class Warcraft posted:

Burke as a human, the rest muppets. Mainly thinking about the scene where he's confronted about letting the facehuggers loose and how great it would be to have a bunch of muppets berate and threaten a distressed paul reiser.

I'd watch all of these.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Can we have Muppet aliens too?

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Spunkmeyer: Hello~ Bishop... do you need anything else??

Bishop:

zenguitarman fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 6, 2021

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Class Warcraft posted:

This got a laugh hahah

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem is on Windows Movie House and it's still gloriously stupid. Then again mission accomplished if the point was to make the Yautja the protagonist.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Android Apocalypse posted:

Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem is on Windows Movie House and it's still gloriously stupid. Then again mission accomplished if the point was to make the Yautja the protagonist.

I love that the Predator just does not give a gently caress about the humans, full stop.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
It's one of the great ironies of the past year that a lot of classic movies have been returning to theaters when people can't/ shouldn't be going.

https://www.showtimes.com/movie-times/alien-697/

It appears Alien has just been given a rerelease stateside in 500 theaters. There's of course a goddamn pandemic going on right now so it's out of the question for most of us, but if there's a drive-in nearby, or if you can make it so you're the only person in the theater, or if you happen to have a hazmat suit you can wear you might be able to make it work.

Edit: Drive-in, not drive-thru

SidneyIsTheKiller fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 7, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I hope Aliens gets a re-release where I live. I got to see Die Hard on a massive screen during December, in a packed cinema.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I love that the Predator just does not give a gently caress about the humans, full stop.

Oh, just like the audience, then.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

etalian posted:

Picking Al Matthews for the role given that he was actual marine was a casting masterstroke similar to when R. Lee Ermey as cast in Full Metal Jacket

Which is pretty interesting because the two movies were filmed at the same time. Ricco Ross was even offered roles in both movies. He had to turn down Stanley Kubrick!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Gasmask posted:

Yup. Brown face is never acceptable.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It's one of the great ironies of the past year that a lot of classic movies have been returning to theaters when people can't/ shouldn't be going.

https://www.showtimes.com/movie-times/alien-697/

It appears Alien has just been given a rerelease stateside in 500 theaters. There's of course a goddamn pandemic going on right now so it's out of the question for most of us, but if there's a drive-in nearby, or if you can make it so you're the only person in the theater, or if you happen to have a hazmat suit you can wear you might be able to make it work.

Edit: Drive-in, not drive-thru
A whole lot of people trying not make eye contact during the airlock quarantine scene.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Thinking about Brett's outfit.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Thinking about how prissy and effeminate Ash's outfit is.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

100% perfect costuming.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Looks like what mechanics would wear if they could work from home.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

PeterCat posted:

Thinking about how prissy and effeminate Ash's outfit is.
It's a speed suit!
-Dr. Venture

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

PhotoKirk posted:

100% perfect costuming.

Alien's costuming is 100% perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Alien's costuming is 100% perfect.

They're dressed like what what they are; truckers. In space. Space truckers!

Everything about Alien is perfect.

Except maybe the idea of a future with those horrible green & black monochrome computer screens but that's more to do with tech limitations of the late 1970's than anything else :colbert: