Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

He might've liberalised the economy but I doubt he would've eased off on all the rape and murder. If anything it would've gotten worse when he had supreme power to do basically anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

galagazombie posted:

Wasn't one of the reasons Beria was killed (besides all the rape, murder and pedophilia) was that he was planning on closer economic ties with the Capitalist West?

I believe the most credible accusation, in terms of planned economic policies, was that he was going to end collectivized farming.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

System Metternich posted:

Virtually all the communist city renamings took place in North America. Could've at least renamed Berlin to Liebknechtstadt or something smh

I want to know why they change a bunch of names and not Christchurch of all places.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Beria got canceled because he was a threat to a lot of people with the means, motive, and opportunity to put him down.

e: When I put it like that, it applies to nearly everyone. The point is that we could argue about who was motivated how much by which factors, but at the end of the day, Beria had a lot of enemies and very few friends. If one didn’t take care of him, another would, and nothing of value was lost.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 3, 2021

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Platystemon posted:

Beria got canceled because he was a threat to a lot of people with the means, motive, and opportunity to put him down.

is that really the word choice we are using

#beriaisoverparty 👏lavrentiy 👏beria 👏is 👏cancelled. he is not putting in the work. frankly, burying dozens of children in his rose garden is high key problematic

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yes, but only because I didn’t want to use the same verb twice, the cancel alignment chart was fresh in my mind, and I thought it was funny.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Platystemon posted:

Death of Stalin was a documentary and it was filmed in real time

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

#hottotrot

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That bugs me because "cancelling people" as a concept directly came from shows getting cancelled, because TV shows being cancelled was a thing long before, and it even works with the more direct meaning of cancelled because it was a thing that otherwise was planned to go on.

Anyways,

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/1269765373483679745
https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/1343632144996904960
https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/1345000926856273920

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Platystemon posted:

Yes, but only because I didn’t want to use the same verb twice, the cancel alignment chart was fresh in my mind, and I thought it was funny.

too late i am now envisioning khruschev's secret speech as a tumblr callout post in a long history of callout posts from the epistles down through to "what is to be done?"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

No one is sweating over this arrangement. France is the world’s largest export of electricity, and it generates a larger proportion of its electricity from the atom than any other, at seventy‐seven percent. Belgium’s own fifty‐two percent gives it a second‐place ranking.

France used to be a net exporter to Belgium by a wide margin, but in recent years the flow is slightly in the other direction.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

I am confused. is "Western Sahara" still spanish territory, a colony of spain, a independent country, a invaded country or part of maroc?

Here in spain they teach us nothing about this.

Tei fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 3, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s disputed territory.

More than half of the territory, on the coastal side, is controlled by Morocco. Then there’s a giant berm, and east of that is the territory of the Polisario Front.

There was a ceasefire for almost thirty years, but that’s recently been declared off.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

:nsa:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Tei posted:

I am confused. is "Western Sahara" still spanish territory, a colony of spain, a independent country, a invaded country or part of maroc?

The Spanish Sahara is gone

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Tei posted:

Spain withdrew from the Spanish Sahara under pressure from Morocco and Mauritania who agreed to split the territory between them. But this was done without the consultation or support of the locals who mostly wanted an independent country (the Sarhawi Arab Republic). This division of the region also did not recieve widespread international recognition.

The Sarhawi insurgency (with support from Algeria) drove out the Mauritanians from their sector but could not overcome the greater resources of the Moroccans who always had more desire to hold on to their part of the territory. This has led to the defacto situation of Moroccan controlled Western Sahara being integrated into Morocco and the former Mauritanian sector being controlled by the Sarhawi Arab Republic who claim the whole of Western Sahara.

Rather than acknowledge either side as being right most countries just show Western Sahara as a white unclaimed region. I believe the African Union recognises the SAR as the rightful government of the whole of Western Sahara.

The SAR is also sometimes called the Polisario Front but I believe that is just the name of the military/political body fighting the war rather than the actual state.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 3, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Member states of the African Union (in green)

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Rather than acknowledge either side as being right most countries just show Western Sahara as a white unclaimed region. I believe the African Union recognises the SAR as the rightful government of the whole of Western Sahara.

AFAIK it's more like that the documents are on the books but the current stance is more like "Having Morocco back in the AU is far more valuable than the locals' preferences regarding the occupation or the state-sanctioned resettlement of the region." Same as it ever was.

Also, state opposition (from Algeria, Mauritania took its hat and disengaged from the situation entirely) is pretty tepid at present.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Tweezer Reprise posted:

AFAIK it's more like that the documents are on the books but the current stance is more like "Having Morocco back in the AU is far more valuable than the locals' preferences regarding the occupation or the state-sanctioned resettlement of the region." Same as it ever was.

Also, state opposition (from Algeria, Mauritania took its hat and disengaged from the situation entirely) is pretty tepid at present.

Yeah I think basically the whole world's approach to the Western Sahara is ignoring it as much as possible, while making some apologetic noises about the need to "engage" and "listen" when the existence of the Saharwi is brought up.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
So apparently China passed Russia and Mexico in GDP per capita in 2020 through the magic of accounting or possibly central planning.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

BRB moving to Uruguai

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Platystemon posted:

No one is sweating over this arrangement. France is the world’s largest export of electricity, and it generates a larger proportion of its electricity from the atom than any other, at seventy‐seven percent. Belgium’s own fifty‐two percent gives it a second‐place ranking.

France used to be a net exporter to Belgium by a wide margin, but in recent years the flow is slightly in the other direction.

Also Belgium's nuclear power plants are also built very close to the French and the Dutch borders.

Feel the Berm

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Also Belgium's nuclear power plants are also built very close to the French and the Dutch borders.

everything in belgium is close to the french and dutch borders

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Belgium IS the French/Dutch border

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Belgium IS the French/Dutch border

Luxembourg skulking in the background

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Everyone knows from SimCity that you build your power plants in the corner of the map so most of the pollution disappears into the void!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Angry Salami posted:

Everyone knows from SimCity that you build your power plants in the corner of the map so most of the pollution disappears into the void!

You also delete them just before they hit their designed meltdown age.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

In Soviet Russia, meltdown deletes you

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Angry Salami posted:

lol it's 2020 you better be all in on the microwave-satellite relay dealie cuz comparatively the disaster is just a little flaming death-ray and fusion's still 20-30 years away.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Just make one big waterfall mountain with the map editor and fill it with hydro plants.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Kennel posted:

Just make one big waterfall mountain with the map editor and fill it with hydro plants.

This was always the pro strat.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

I take it gray means no data available, except in France's case, where gray represents the cloud of tobacco smoke enveloping the entire country.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I know it's a cliché and all but the French actually smoke less than e.g. Russians, Romanians and the Greeks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I know it's a cliché and all but the French actually smoke less than e.g. Russians, Romanians and the Greeks.

The French just take puffs on the same cigarette for hours. Russians burn down the entire cigarette in a single breath.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Speaking of false cliches, Serbia is a land of refinement and moderation in a sea of degeneracy

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Also Muslims.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What’s more interesting to me is that apparently the muslim prohibition on booze affects Thrace but not Bosnia or Albania. I guess that’s turkish law + influence of communism on religious fervour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What’s more interesting to me is that apparently the muslim prohibition on booze affects Thrace but not Bosnia or Albania. I guess that’s turkish law + influence of communism on religious fervour?

Bosnia is only like 50% Muslim so it’s theoretically possible that the Serbs and Croats there are doing enough drinking for everyone. But Bosnians do have a reputation in the Muslim community for being pretty loose with those rules. I can’t say whether or not that’s an accurate stereotype personally.

Starks fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 6, 2021