Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Len posted:

and wait for an animation

[X to skip]

Like, I get you, it's still not fast, but you don't have to sit around watching Link humming unless you really want to. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
That's a lot of time spent scavenging for apples. Just cook some food!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Yeah but you go into the menu, you have to hold the things, leave the menu, and wait for an animation and then if you want to make another dish you repeat

I ain't got time for that. Which is why I just scarf down uncooked apples a fraction of a heart at the time

:allears: That's just precious. You know, by the time you eat five dozen apples you could probably healed twice the heart amount by very slowly cooking 1-2 meals.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Wildtortilla posted:

Ain't nobody got time for that!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wildtortilla posted:

There's an apple orchard that regrows right by a shrine, gets 100 apples in a few minutes when you just blow it up

And yes i know it's weird, but somehow blowing up trees and picking up apples feels less tedious than the cooking menu

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
At least drop all of the apples while you're in Death Mountain so they turn into bakes apples and you don't even have to watch an animation.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If he refuses to buy armor I'm real curious how he's gonna handle Death Mountain actually.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Cooking in BotW sucks poo poo, how is this controversial. It's just tedious. They made a perfectly fine interface, then ruined it in the name of "being on a console that sold more than 100 units." At least durability has a purpose, the bad cooking is just poorly thought out.

But yeah, buy armor, don't waste your time now in favor of the 10k upgrade a long time from now.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
It's fine. It could be better, but it's fine.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Unreal_One posted:

Cooking in BotW sucks poo poo, how is this controversial. It's just tedious. They made a perfectly fine interface, then ruined it in the name of "being on a console that sold more than 100 units." At least durability has a purpose, the bad cooking is just poorly thought out.

But yeah, buy armor, don't waste your time now in favor of the 10k upgrade a long time from now.
The only thing that sucks about cooking is that the entire system is completely invalidated because you can cook a single piece of fruit and get 18 health bars worth of healing. That's honestly what ruined the whole thing for me. I thought it was really cool otherwise.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

American McGay posted:

If he refuses to buy armor I'm real curious how he's gonna handle Death Mountain actually.

The same way i did before, trade lizards for pants and then begrudgingly buy more armor. i'm not about to cook potions

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The little jingle when you cook is great

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The cooking music is fun and worth it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The way it blurs out the resulting item if you hosed it up.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Imo buy all the armor for fashion purposes

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Scrap Dragon posted:

i paid off the 10k fairy so that's the plan going forward. i don't think there are any more super expensive things to buy at least

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Evidently my need to meta-game wasn't severe enough that I went full durian after I learned about their properties; I think because I treated cooking as an RP style thing and a treasure hunt where I sought out all those recipes on the walls of stables and elsewhere and fed Link at appropriate times so of course I wouldn't wanna stuff his little face with endless simmered fruit. I'd try to cook meals I'd actually wanna eat, even for the stat boosting meals.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Evidently my need to meta-game wasn't severe enough that I went full durian after I learned about their properties; I think because I treated cooking as an RP style thing and a treasure hunt where I sought out all those recipes on the walls of stables and elsewhere and fed Link at appropriate times so of course I wouldn't wanna stuff his little face with endless simmered fruit. I'd try to cook meals I'd actually wanna eat, even for the stat boosting meals.
You wasted your time. Link is not a picky eater:
https://youtu.be/G7TS_iUHTD0

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Scrap Dragon posted:

Confession: I never bought the heavy armor.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
My real legit complaint about the cooking is that there's no loving recipe book for me to obsessively fill out! Come on Nintendo!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Butterfly Valley posted:

I tried to make foods I thought Link would enjoy eating too. One change I would wish for is a recipe book. Find those rare recipes in stables and stuff? They get added to a book! Then once you cooked a thing once, you could cook it again from there. That would cut out of a lot of the tedium from cooking. Then if you want to keep making your durian meals, you can, but if you want to do something more interesting with cooking, you also can!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

My real legit complaint about the cooking is that there's no loving recipe book for me to obsessively fill out! Come on Nintendo!

I would 100% use it if that was a thing. You've cooked it? Cool now you can just select the recipe from the book and it automatically grabs all the stuff you need

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Obligatory Unraveled episode where they cook and judge all 78 recipes from BotW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYutF8qr7AY

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Unfortunately, that dudes face will not allow me to watch said video.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

RCarr posted:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The balance that ended up working for me was cooking meals with Durian that weren't simmered fruit. Link ended up living on mostly salt-grilled steak, seafood skewers, and bowls of warm milk that would incidentally also fully restore his health.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

American McGay posted:

i missed the lizard quest and the fireproof elixir entirely the first time through and just booked rear end on fire to goron town chugging food as i went once i thought i had enough hearts. th guy at the armor shop flips out in a pretty funny way if you talk to him while you're on fire

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fungah! posted:

i missed the lizard quest and the fireproof elixir entirely the first time through and just booked rear end on fire to goron town chugging food as i went once i thought i had enough hearts. th guy at the armor shop flips out in a pretty funny way if you talk to him while you're on fire

That owns

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I did that as well! I totally missed the armour guy earlier on.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Fungah! posted:

lol

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Morter posted:

I seem to be confusing people. Sorry.

First off. I'm off the plateau but I haven't done the divine guardians yet. Just exploring (and I haven't played in weeks, admittedly)

When I read

I read that as 3 different things

"Avoided" - Not engaging or getting attention
"Stealthed" - I read this as 'avoiding detection so as to approach and eliminate them', a la stealth kills in most other games, or BotW's sneakstrikes
"Dodging and reflecting their attacks" - Open combat

So, when I saw "stealthed", as something different from 'avoided', I was wondering if there was some sorta sneakstrikey/instant kill way to approach them without first openly fighting them. I've only run into a couple of spider-legged ones in the open world near kakoriko.

Ah sorry, you only mentioned two of the powers, so I though you were still collecting those (and on the plateau). EDIT: Wait no, I confused you with someone else in the quote tree (@Cannon_Fodder).

In either case, you're best off avoiding the hell out of guardians until you get confident in your play.

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 6, 2021

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Scrap Dragon posted:

This, and dye them all pretty colors.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fungah! posted:

This is the best way to experience it, gliding towards town on fire with your shield burnt away, gnashing your teeth against baking apples to sustain you

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

RCarr posted:

Try putting a bag over your head.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It’s January so you know what that means:

https://twitter.com/gothalion/status/1346572138711547904?s=21

My uncle at Nintendo said this is true!!!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That's so fake it wraps all the way around and isn't even funny to make fun of.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Deep Learning Luper Sampling

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Finally, F Zero Rammers

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Looking forward to some First Party Softwar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It’s January so you know what that means:

https://twitter.com/gothalion/status/1346572138711547904?s=21

My uncle at Nintendo said this is true!!!

gently caress yes time to get horny.