Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

Nice FTP bump.

I’m waiting for my call from Ineos any time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Anyone with a smart trainer (Kickr ‘14 here) have this happen? I finished a group ride and left Zwift running to go take care of my dogs and got back on the bike about 15 minutes later. I’m guessing my trainer went to sleep and when I turned the crank it woke up. It shows I dropped 2000w for 3 seconds and then tapered off. The weird thing is I never saw this in Zwift, and there isn’t any section of the Strava ride where I was doing unrealistic speed or power.

Is this just a humble brag for 1000 watts only being 2nd?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I Am Not Spor posted:

Is this just a humble brag for 1000 watts only being 2nd?

My sprint is garbage, so definitely not.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I sprang for a Kickr a few weeks back, have done the Zwift trial and have now moved on to the 60 days of free Sufferfest. I'm having trouble getting a hang of standing sprints, though—it just doesn't behave like it would in the real world and it throws me off my stride. Any tips and tricks or should I just practice some more?

I'm also vaguely curious about the average resting heart rate for regular cyclists here. Once a year or so at work, someone will bring up their new FitBit and the inevitable comparison of stats will ensue, where everyone (all in the 70-90 BPM range) will look at me like I'm dead or an alien for being ~44 BPM.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Cugel the Clever posted:

I sprang for a Kickr a few weeks back, have done the Zwift trial and have now moved on to the 60 days of free Sufferfest. I'm having trouble getting a hang of standing sprints, though—it just doesn't behave like it would in the real world and it throws me off my stride. Any tips and tricks or should I just practice some more?

I'm also vaguely curious about the average resting heart rate for regular cyclists here. Once a year or so at work, someone will bring up their new FitBit and the inevitable comparison of stats will ensue, where everyone (all in the 70-90 BPM range) will look at me like I'm dead or an alien for being ~44 BPM.

The only real tip/trick to standing sprints is building a rocker plate. It just kinda sucks. Most folks have quite a bit lower top end power indoors than outdoors as a result.

40-50bpm is a perfectly normal range for a reasonably fit person.
HR chat is so last decade though. It takes HRV chat to get me excited now.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Tacx flux s is en route.

gently caress yeah, boys.

And dumb referral poo poo for app previews or there?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I'm selling my Kreitler rollers with a headwind if anyone is interested.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Tacx flux s is en route.

I can send ya a free month of trainerroad, PM me if you're interested

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Tacx flux s is en route.

My TacX Flux S came with 30 free days. Zwift itself gives you 7 days trial. I used the 7 day trial, then used the 30 day trial.

Oh yeah, and 30 free days of the Garmin training app which I haven't touched.

https://www.zwift.com/activity/719184513179455264
Did my first race. I'm in D class still, but getting pretty close to hitting the 2.4kw/kg limit, so I thought I'd try to get some W's. However, the people who won in my class were knocking out 3.4kw/kg. How are they still in class D? The community and Zwift support have very fragmented documentation.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

LRADIKAL posted:

My TacX Flux S came with 30 free days. Zwift itself gives you 7 days trial. I used the 7 day trial, then used the 30 day trial.

Did my first race. I'm in D class still, but getting pretty close to hitting the 2.4kw/kg limit, so I thought I'd try to get some W's. However, the people who won in my class were knocking out 3.4kw/kg. How are they still in class D? The community and Zwift support have very fragmented documentation.

Register on ZwiftPower and use the results there. Zwift’s results are garbage and don’t filter anyone.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I registered there, looks like I might have to do another event before I can actually add myself. Zwiftpower is also owned by Zwift?

Oh yeah, I also side loaded zwift companion on my kindle fire 7 cheapest version, and it seems to be sufficient, bluetooth and PC synced in no time. Waiting for my tablet clamp to come in to test it.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 4, 2021

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

LRADIKAL posted:

Have you had any other trainers? Mine gets here next week. I wonder how it stacks up.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's my first. Only complaint is that I'm on carpet and my floor might be a little soft besides that. So I think I need to put a plank down or something. If I start doing wobbly standup pushing It pulls the frame out of alignment with the trainer and my gears go crazy.
Works fine otherwise, not that I have anything to compare it to. Boots quickly, only uses a few watts at idle (tested at wall).

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I've got a carpeted room but intend on turning my computer desk (oversized Steelcase table with legs) and making a beefy platform for peddlin'

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Along those lines I picked up one of these fork mounting blocks that I'm getting a carpenter friend to mount to some wood.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AO7GRG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Hope you've both put a mat down to catch sweat, and anything else coming down. I went a while between cleaning mine and it was pretty nasty, and better it than the flooring.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

LRADIKAL posted:

Along those lines I picked up one of these fork mounting blocks that I'm getting a carpenter friend to mount to some wood.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AO7GRG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Excellent find! Plus, I don't have disk brakes so I can't "accidentally" the levers.

spoof posted:

Hope you've both put a mat down to catch sweat, and anything else coming down. I went a while between cleaning mine and it was pretty nasty, and better it than the flooring.

We bought the house 2 years ago and had a 8 week old puppy. Me sweating balls onto the carpet would probably be doing it a favor.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Trainer mat is a must.

LRADIKAL posted:

It's my first. Only complaint is that I'm on carpet and my floor might be a little soft besides that. So I think I need to put a plank down or something. If I start doing wobbly standup pushing It pulls the frame out of alignment with the trainer and my gears go crazy.
Works fine otherwise, not that I have anything to compare it to. Boots quickly, only uses a few watts at idle (tested at wall).

Your QR skewers aren't clamped hard enough if this is happening. Get some steel Sunlite or similar skewers for like $8 on Amazon if your Flux S didn't come with a set. Tighten it so that you can barely close the cam with your palm. I can put out ~1200W and the interface between the dropouts and skewers has never been an issue.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
We have 3 yoga mats, I turned one into my sweat mat. I'm just starting to max out my cardio on the trainer, but I do have a floor fan pointing at me and an open window, so I'm not a mess. I am aware of the dangers of corrosion on the bike and grossness of carpet. Also I cleaned and lubricated the chain and picked a lot of crude of the the cogs and such.

I cranked the tacx included skewers dang hard, I've never had an issue with this using an actual wheel. Should I pick up a different set of skewers? I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
For reference I open my garage doors with 2 medium Vornado fans and a 20" Air Master industrial fan pointed at various parts of my body. Outdoor temps are in the 40F range these days and the garage gets down to 49F while I ride. It's cold for like the first 10 minutes and my hands get cold, but that's about it.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
is this a safe place to talk about pel*ton

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

this is the place where we talk about spending lots of money to go nowhere, yes

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm about to pull the trigger on a wahoo kickr core. Any reason I couldn't use a spare 10 speed cassette I have lying around? The bike I'm planning on using has an 11 speed drive train. This feels like a dumb question.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
You wouldn't be able to shift

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 6, 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spf3million posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a wahoo kickr core. Any reason I couldn't use a spare 10 speed cassette I have lying around? The bike I'm planning on using has an 11 speed drive train. This feels like a dumb question.

Just buy a cheap takeoff cassette from eBay because otherwise

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You wouldn't be able to shift

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I guess that makes sense. Does the cassette range matter?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

spf3million posted:

I guess that makes sense. Does the cassette range matter?

not really. in zwift at least you can flatten the hills and effectively ride any grade in the same gear. it requires the same amount of power, however

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I ride with an 11-25t in Zwift, but will probably be forced to go 11-28t or higher if some of these racing leagues start implementing Zwift HQ's stricter race requirements... aka smart trainers at 50% Trainer Difficulty.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I just did my first ride in zwift with a kickr core. The power I was putting out looked pretty consistent with my normal rides but zwift had me going much faster than usual (~19 mph instead of ~15 irl). Is that normal? Was it just because the first ride is on the flat course?

Also, I didn’t feel much at all different on the 8% grade hill they throw at you. I did an 8% climb irl on saturday and it was much worse!

oh and i put all the fans on like everyone says in here so thanks everyone for always talking about that.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

not really. in zwift at least you can flatten the hills and effectively ride any grade in the same gear. it requires the same amount of power, however

I'll expand on this a bit. In general, the more you spend on a unit, the greater the realism as far as speed and grade are concerned. My old tacx Bushido could simulate something like a 5 percent grade at 15mph, while a new Neo 2T can simulate a 25 percent grade at any speed up until you hit the max wattage limit.

I think that kind of realism is overrated. I really don't want to be shifting through a full 2x11 drivetrain. I keep the realism slider a but under the halfway mark. Set that way, I can ride most of the roads in a 53/11-25. No front shifting required.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Dren posted:

I just did my first ride in zwift with a kickr core. The power I was putting out looked pretty consistent with my normal rides but zwift had me going much faster than usual (~19 mph instead of ~15 irl). Is that normal? Was it just because the first ride is on the flat course?

Also, I didn’t feel much at all different on the 8% grade hill they throw at you. I did an 8% climb irl on saturday and it was much worse!

oh and i put all the fans on like everyone says in here so thanks everyone for always talking about that.

What kind of power were you putting out at 19mph? I find that Zwift presents an optimal environment...no wind, your bike is in immaculate maintenance, you never have to hit the brakes, etc. You’ll go faster solo, but in a big group Zwift’s draft effect is actually weaker than real life. For example I averaged 211W@28.2mph in a wet 4-corner crit in early March last year. There’s now way maintain that speed and power in the middle of a Zwift “blob.”

By default, Zwift sets “Trainer Difficulty” to 50%. This makes an 8% grade feel like 4%, though your speed up that 8% is still determined by power alone, not by what it feels like.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Average power was 208, weighted average was 232. Maybe the speed makes sense? I never get that fast irl but maybe my routes are too hilly.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Dren posted:

Average power was 208, weighted average was 232. Maybe the speed makes sense? I never get that fast irl but maybe my routes are too hilly.

208W average at 19mph is pretty unremarkable on a flat course. And if it was a hilly course, your descents had no braking at all.

On a real world 49mi ride with 4000ft of climb, I averaged 198W at 18mph.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Should really be talking about W/kg since I believe that's how speed is calculated in Zwift?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Shadowhand00 posted:

Should really be talking about W/kg since I believe that's how speed is calculated in Zwift?

Speed is calculated in Zwift more or less like how it's calculated IRL. A 300lb person doing 4w/kg is going to be faster than a 150lb person doing 4w/kg for any terrain, even a hypothetical 50% grade. A 300lb person doing 3w/kg on a flat course like Tempus Fugit will still be faster than a 150lb person doing 4w/kg.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Second ride on my new keiser m3i. Pretty happy so far. Never done cardio tracking watts and similar - how does this look? I managed roughly the same for an hour on my first ride but didn't have it hooked up to analysis tools.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Strumpy posted:

Second ride on my new keiser m3i. Pretty happy so far. Never done cardio tracking watts and similar - how does this look? I managed roughly the same for an hour on my first ride but didn't have it hooked up to analysis tools.

It's very unlikely that the power measurement of your Keiser M3i is accurate...in fact it is probably wildly inaccurate. Distance and speed don't matter for overall fitness tracking, it's a fictitious value based on flywheel speed.

So basically the only stats worth counting here are the time spent and your cadence, which many would consider on the lower side.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 7, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TobinHatesYou posted:

It's very unlikely that the power measurement of your Keiser M3i is accurate...in fact it is probably wildly inaccurate

When the gyms come out of lockdown here I can test out the ones in there with some power pedals :v:

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

TobinHatesYou posted:

It's very unlikely that the power measurement of your Keiser M3i is accurate...in fact it is probably wildly inaccurate. Distance and speed don't matter for overall fitness tracking, it's a fictitious value based on flywheel speed.

So basically the only stats worth counting here are the time spent and your cadence, which many would consider on the lower side.

Ahh interesting. I heard the M3i was pretty okay on the wattage. Good to know. Looks like I can use that as a relative measure for my own training, but not an absolute.

That ride I cycled with relatively high resistance so I took another ride this morning where I tried to focus on a high cadence while keeping the power output similar to the previous ride. I was a sweaty mess at the end of the hour but it was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Strumpy posted:

Ahh interesting. I heard the M3i was pretty okay on the wattage. Good to know. Looks like I can use that as a relative measure for my own training, but not an absolute.

That ride I cycled with relatively high resistance so I took another ride this morning where I tried to focus on a high cadence while keeping the power output similar to the previous ride. I was a sweaty mess at the end of the hour but it was fun.

To be honest, I don't know that the M3i is wildly off because I didn't have much luck finding concrete data on Google. I just know that there hasn't been a focus on accuracy in the market until the last few years.

Gotta say I'm shocked at the market price of $2000 though. It's not such a huge leap to the indoor smartbike side of things.