Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Iron Crowned posted:

It was my understanding that for a while there would be different hosts every week or two until they figured out what to do.

Yeah that's right, although they haven't announced any interim hosts beyond Ken which is interesting...

I'm sure the Jeopardy people are just loving having Alex's last episodes overshadowed by Bean Dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

zakharov posted:

I'm sure the Jeopardy people are just loving having Alex's last episodes overshadowed by Bean Dad.

Eh, it's Twitter blowing up on the last Sunday of a long extended holiday where everyone has been (should have been) cooped up inside. Bean Dad deleted his account and it will blow over in a few days when everyone moves on, as long as Ken doesn't say anything else dumb about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they use guest hosts + maybe some more "classic" Alex episodes for the rest of the spring and then roll out the new permanent host in the fall, at which time this will be ancient history.

As someone who had actually followed Bean Dad before all this (since he was the co-host of Ken's podcast), it's kind of surreal seeing someone I followed who had probably a 4-digit level of followers suddenly be Everywhere All The Time on Twitter for a day.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

zakharov posted:

I follow Jeopardy news and this thread pretty regularly and until it was posted above I had no clue who or what the gently caress a bean dad was. I doubt the vast majority of viewers know.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I keep seeing people on Twitter talk about LeVar Burton getting the job instead of Ken but has he ever actually expressed any interest in the job or been mentioned by the producers in any way as a potential host?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Have they announced who the other guest hosts will be?

Lucania
May 1, 2009

you broke my grill posted:

I keep seeing people on Twitter talk about LeVar Burton getting the job instead of Ken but has he ever actually expressed any interest in the job or been mentioned by the producers in any way as a potential host?

He has expressed interest:

https://twitter.com/levarburton/status/1326973244847624195

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

banned from Starbucks posted:

I follow Jeopardy news and this thread pretty regularly and until it was posted above I had no clue who or what the gently caress a bean dad was. I doubt the vast majority of viewers know.

It's funny how much people who spend 24/7 on the internet think their echo chamber matters to anyone outside an extremely small bubble.

got some chores tonight posted:

While I'm willing to let the whole bean dad story slide as a joke and that he didn't actually spend six hours not feeding his child, he literally has dozens of "joke" tweets were the punchline is just "Jews are bad" or "rape is funny" or "black people are criminals". It's obviously stupid poo poo made by a bigot who deleted his Twitter because it's indefensible, but then Ken just tweets "actually he's a good guy and you guys are over-reacting" which is the obviously wrong thing to do, which is pretty embarrassing given that he just had his "I'm sorry for making bad jokes on Twitter" that is rather obviously not genuine.

It's literally all the same "ironic" horseshit people used to post on this very website all the time. They're awful "jokes" but every single one in context is obviously that type of poo poo that a lot of the internet thought was just so funny 8 years ago.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

as for tonight's episode, you can absolutely tell this was supposed to air christmas week

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

edit: nvm

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hell yeah criminal reform intern. Go Brayden.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Brayden owns.

Also that dude in the middle is going to shake his fist every single time he sees a word that ends in "ology" for the rest of his life, I guarantee you that.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
He's gonna span two, maybe three, Jeopardy hosts.

Did the guy who ended season 36 as champion finally get back to California for the unification game?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Man, Alex’s speech at the beginning was a tough one to hear.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Today: Wow. A very difficult game today. You could tell they were getting frustrated too. I did know the Final so I feel good about that. I think I had even learned about the Carolina name origin from a previous Jeopardy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
What is Aliens? :psyduck:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How the gently caress did they all miss that final jeopardy Jesus Christ. Easy as hell.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah that was a 200 dollar clue.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Iron Crowned posted:

What is Aliens? :psyduck:

That and What is a Rifle? blew my drat mind.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

All of them had some really stupid responses tonight.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I also missed that they were supposed to share a name and got stuck on Georgia and then started working north to south down the colonies so only figured it out at the last second. Geography ones get me like that a lot, you just start your search in the wrong corner of the map.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
They all seemed so off that I thought maybe something just before taping rattled them all? What a strange episode!

frogbs fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 6, 2021

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I also missed that they were supposed to share a name and got stuck on Georgia and then started working north to south down the colonies so only figured it out at the last second. Geography ones get me like that a lot, you just start your search in the wrong corner of the map.

You had to come to it from a British royalty question and not a geography question. The only king of England who's been executed was Charles I, and his son was Charles II, so it had to be them, and from there you figure out the only two states named for Charles (the latin form of which is Carolus)

There were certainly some weird answers by everyone that game.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

frogbs posted:

They all seemed so off that I thought maybe something just before taping rattled them all? What a strange episode!

Could Alex have known it was his last filming day? Would he have told them?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

HookShot posted:

You had to come to it from a British royalty question and not a geography question. The only king of England who's been executed was Charles I, and his son was Charles II, so it had to be them, and from there you figure out the only two states named for Charles (the latin form of which is Carolus)

There were certainly some weird answers by everyone that game.

See, that's what threw me, because there's actually three states named for Charles I and his sons: North Carolina, South Carolina, and New York, which was named for James II, who was at that time the Duke of York. So technically, per the wording, you could have answered either Carolina and New York and still been correct (one state honoring the king and one honoring his executed father), and i couldn't figure out which ones they wanted. But then everyone guessed Georgia instead.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPColin posted:

Could Alex have known it was his last filming day? Would he have told them?

It wasn't announced to the contestants. He told the producers immediately after his final episode was taped that he was done and was going home.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I thought the Thursday/Friday episodes were his last day?

This seems so morbid!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

See, that's what threw me, because there's actually three states named for Charles I and his sons: North Carolina, South Carolina, and New York, which was named for James II, who was at that time the Duke of York. So technically, per the wording, you could have answered either Carolina and New York and still been correct (one state honoring the king and one honoring his executed father), and i couldn't figure out which ones they wanted. But then everyone guessed Georgia instead.

I guess it's one of those overthinking clues - when they ask for two states/places like that they tend to have the "same" names. So even if I didn't know who the Carolinas were named after I would've gone there since it certainly isn't the Dakotas or Virginias.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

I thought the Thursday/Friday episodes were his last day?

This seems so morbid!

They shoot five episodes a day, Thursday/Friday are after lunch.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I mean sure, if someone had come up with that they probably would have had to mark is as correct, but it ultimately remains a British royalty question and not a geography question. And frankly if you know that NY was named for James II who was also a child of Charles I you should be able to figure out that they're thinking of Charles I and Charles II and therefore want the Carolinas as an answer.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

HookShot posted:

They shoot five episodes a day, Thursday/Friday are after lunch.

I thought I'd read that they changed their schedule because of covid/Alex's health, doing 3 shows on Monday and 2 on Tuesday. I might be wrong!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

zakharov posted:

I thought I'd read that they changed their schedule because of covid/Alex's health, doing 3 shows on Monday and 2 on Tuesday. I might be wrong!

Yeah, I had heard the same thing. Plus the slowdown with taping over Covid and getting people to the studio.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1346877853372071937?s=21

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

HookShot posted:

Brayden owns.

Also that dude in the middle is going to shake his fist every single time he sees a word that ends in "ology" for the rest of his life, I guarantee you that.

Incredible miss. Felt really bad for the guy. Guess he needed his lucky pen.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Just all in all a great week for Jeopardy personalities on Twitter.

He deleted it after getting a shitload of flak for it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Guessing we got pre-empted again today :(

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It just started on time in Orlando.

It's a syndicated show anyway. ABC doesn't air it nationally.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It wouldn't be a fitting tribute week to Alex if at least one episode weren't preempted.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Zero One posted:

It just started on time in Orlando.

It's a syndicated show anyway. ABC doesn't air it nationally.

Same here in NYC, which surprised me when I checked.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

No thanks.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It airs at 3:30 in Chicago for some reason so womp womp, no eps two days in a row now. Yesterday was preempted because Kenosha declined to press charges on the police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Bad wagers in final.

But I got the correct response right away. Maybe it was easier because the sequel just came out