Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Cocaine Bear posted:

I ran into this with "coon" as in raccoon as in that fucker that keeps outsmarting me to get at my trash but it's apparently a slur in America or something. Just a dumb short hand though so I just use the full word now.

You can still get away with this if you're talking about "coonskin caps", people will understand that you're referring to raccoons unless you're putting out some major serial killer vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
Let's cancel spook.

Henceforth all spies, undercover operatives, and the like will be refered to as SPOOPS

Pros:
- palindromes are cool
- contains the words ''poo', poop', and 'poops'
- when people post 'time to get spoopy' in the autumn they will be investigated for treason.

Cons:
- N/A

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
What a dumb derail I accidentally started. My usage was just ghost and spy fwiw, and I've learned a lot about slurs.

Penance, hopefully:

https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/1346456124183228417?s=20

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/stephenfry/status/1346529057236652032?s=20

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I was about to post a few words to cancel that sounded like slurs but I looked them up and they ACTUALLY ALL ARE SLURS so here's a tweet instead:

https://twitter.com/samwetherell/status/1346499624362762245?s=20

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

It's not all racist.

That's Mexican!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My favorite weird archaic slur is "celestials" for Chinese people. Makes me wonder about the Celestial Seasonings tea

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I was about to post a few words to cancel that sounded like slurs but I looked them up and they ACTUALLY ALL ARE SLURS so here's a tweet instead:

Once is coincidence.

Twice is enemy action.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The strangest slur I ever heard was "pepsi" when referring to Quebecois. It has a weird history at least partially based on the suggestion that they were too poor to afford Coca Cola like English speakers, but when I was a kid the explanation was that like a bottle of Pepsi they were "empty from the neck up."

Canadians also mock people from Newfoundland with the lazy slur "Newfie." I mean, at least put some effort into your regional bigotry.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Someone got probed for calling a celebrity Frenchman a “frog” a few months ago and it still makes me laugh.

It was not a comedy probe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Platystemon posted:

Someone got probed for calling a celebrity Frenchman a “frog” a few months ago and it still makes me laugh.

It was not a comedy probe.

I knew someone who compared the Minnesota Vikings name to the former name of the Washington Football Team. And not in a dumb "it's just a name, you don't see Scandavians getting offended" sense, but in a "They're both bad and should both change their names" sense.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Apparently the Racial Slur Database still exists, for all your slurring needs

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

on the bored wop posted:

Apparently the Racial Slur Database still exists, for all your slurring needs

the forbidden wikipedia

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

OK I don't know how to do the tweets thing, help me, I'm old. Also phone posting.

Edit: it worked!
https://twitter.com/chrispurchase/status/1346454925719588870?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/TheEpicDept/status/1346529136240701442?s=20

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

repiv posted:

The BBC had a spy show called Spooks which got renamed to MI-5 for American broadcast, so I guess it was still dubious as of ~2002

They likely renamed it based on thinking american audiences are dumb as gently caress and would be expecting a show about ghosts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Parallelwoody posted:

They likely renamed it based on thinking american audiences are dumb as gently caress and would be expecting a show about ghosts.

I bet it was more just because the most popular tv shows in America at the time were like NCSI and Law and Order:SVU so they wanted it to sound more like that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That and I think the number of people that know spook means spy has to be fairly small.

Way more people know MI 6

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That and I think the number of people that know spook means spy has to be fairly small.

Way more people know MI 6

I don't know - it's pretty common in Spy novels and spook as a racial slur seems just to be in America. I've not heard it in use in the UK - though despite their hatred of foreigners, our idiot racists do tend to adopt American racist slurs frequently.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Dick Trauma posted:

The strangest slur I ever heard was "pepsi" when referring to Quebecois. It has a weird history at least partially based on the suggestion that they were too poor to afford Coca Cola like English speakers, but when I was a kid the explanation was that like a bottle of Pepsi they were "empty from the neck up."

Canadians also mock people from Newfoundland with the lazy slur "Newfie." I mean, at least put some effort into your regional bigotry.

What? Newfie isnt a slur. Every Newfoundlander I know refers to themselves and other Newfoundlanders by it and seems totally fine with non Newfoundlanders using the term. Newfoundlander is just a cumbersome word. Next you'll tell me east coaster is a slur.

Can confirm the Pepsi thing though. Quebeckers also use frog to slander Parisians so using that word is doubly insulting and lovely when directed at Canadian francophones (kinda like calling someone from Toronto a Yank). Quebec also has a fun phrase for Sheppard's pie that just has to be problematic but the wiki is like, I dunno, maybe rail workers liked it?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Doubtful Guest posted:

I don't know - it's pretty common in Spy novels and spook as a racial slur seems just to be in America. I've not heard it in use in the UK - though despite their hatred of foreigners, our idiot racists do tend to adopt American racist slurs frequently.

I mean yeah but we are talking about renaming it in America. People know MI 6 from like James Bond

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I understand it's an in-group type of thing. There was some drama about it very recently. https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/the-simpsons-canada-episode-irks-viewers-with-stupid-newfies-joke-1.4399559

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I prefer my lettuce hand-crafted...

https://twitter.com/MachinePix/status/1346567062450126848?s=20

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cocaine Bear posted:

What? Newfie isnt a slur. Every Newfoundlander I know refers to themselves and other Newfoundlanders by it and seems totally fine with non Newfoundlanders using the term. Newfoundlander is just a cumbersome word. Next you'll tell me east coaster is a slur.

Be careful with "the people I know all seem okay with it" language because no, not all Newfoundlanders feel that way.

As far as I know the term originated as a disparaging word coined by American military stationed in Newfoundland during the wars. Some feel strongly enough about it to reasonably call it a slur.

Our feelings about it are complicated but Newfoundlanders' attitudes towards the word depends on who says it, who they're saying it to, and how they are saying it. Please don't assume it's just okay to say willy-nilly if you are from elsewhere in Canada, especially when speaking to other non-Newfoundlanders.

And yeah that Simpsons episode is a pretty good example of how not to use it. I honestly couldn't believe they even aired that scene when I saw it!

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 23:08 on Jan 5, 2021

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

jojoinnit posted:

What a dumb derail I accidentally started. My usage was just ghost and spy fwiw, and I've learned a lot about slurs.

Penance, hopefully:

https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/1346456124183228417?s=20

That was very interesting, I've been I trosucing my girlfriend to ghibi movies and we just watched tottoro yesterday, so thanks for that!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Doubtful Guest posted:

That reminds me of when a friend of mine decided to read all of the Bond books.

wikipedia posted:

Live and Let Die was published in the US in January 1955 by Macmillan; there was only one major change in the book, which was that the title of the fifth chapter was changed from "friend of the family Heaven" to "Seventh Avenue"

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

rodbeard posted:

That reminds me of when a friend of mine decided to read all of the Bond books.

The casual use of slurs in older fiction is surprisingly common. The original title of Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" was "Ten Little N******", which was at one point retitled to "Ten Little Indians" before.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

ponzicar posted:

The casual use of slurs in older fiction is surprisingly common. The original title of Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" was "Ten Little N******", which was at one point retitled to "Ten Little Indians" before.

I've been rereading The Stand because the new mini series is coming out. I'm about a fifth of the way through the book and there are SO MANY MORE slurs than I remember. Some are kinda sorta understandable, like abelist/homosexual slurs that were in common usage at the time the book was written (that I am not defending at all to be perfectly clear). But gently caress I've seen half a dozen n-words so far.

Like I adore King novels and this one is about 40 years old but Jesus stumbling over one just makes everything grind to a halt.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Skwirl posted:

I knew someone who compared the Minnesota Vikings name to the former name of the Washington Football Team. And not in a dumb "it's just a name, you don't see Scandavians getting offended" sense, but in a "They're both bad and should both change their names" sense.

That's so stupid. Viking isn't a slur, it was their own name. It's been misused and in certain places it might've been used as an insult, but that's like calling "American" a slur just because it has negative connotations in the rest of the world.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mak0rz posted:

Be careful with "the people I know all seem okay with it" language because no, not all Newfoundlanders feel that way.

As far as I know the term originated as a disparaging word coined by American military stationed in Newfoundland during the wars. Some feel strongly enough about it to reasonably call it a slur.

Our feelings about it are complicated but Newfoundlanders' attitudes towards the word depends on who says it, who they're saying it to, and how they are saying it. Please don't assume it's just okay to say willy-nilly if you are from elsewhere in Canada, especially when speaking to other non-Newfoundlanders.

And yeah that Simpsons episode is a pretty good example of how not to use it. I honestly couldn't believe they even aired that scene when I saw it!

Fair enough. In my defence, I didn't have like a "friends from St John's" that says it's okay. I schooled and lived and worked with many many east coaster across many generations and world experiences during my life and it's just always come off as absolutely nothing more than a colloquial term used in all directions without malice. I'll talk to my friends and coworkers about it and hold off until I get a better informed perspective.

I still think it's nothing, but I'm not from there so I don't get to decide! Thanks for the call out.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Soysaucebeast posted:

I've been rereading The Stand because the new mini series is coming out. I'm about a fifth of the way through the book and there are SO MANY MORE slurs than I remember. Some are kinda sorta understandable, like abelist/homosexual slurs that were in common usage at the time the book was written (that I am not defending at all to be perfectly clear). But gently caress I've seen half a dozen n-words so far.

Like I adore King novels and this one is about 40 years old but Jesus stumbling over one just makes everything grind to a halt.

Oof. Yeah King is pretty bad when it comes to slurs and writing black characters. Sometimes I think about revisiting the first 3 dark tower books but then I remember Detta and, gently caress no

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Also bad at writing young characters.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cocaine Bear posted:

Fair enough. In my defence, I didn't have like a "friends from St John's" that says it's okay. I schooled and lived and worked with many many east coaster across many generations and world experiences during my life and it's just always come off as absolutely nothing more than a colloquial term used in all directions without malice. I'll talk to my friends and coworkers about it and hold off until I get a better informed perspective.

I still think it's nothing, but I'm not from there so I don't get to decide! Thanks for the call out.

No worries! Ultimately attitudes are going to vary a lot depending on generation, where on the island they're from, and whether or not they've had to work abroad. Even then there's not really a predictable pattern (except that it's never unacceptable for Newfies to say it to each other). If you don't know, just don't say it. If there's a Newfoundlander* you know closely enough, then simply ask them, but regardless still refrain from using it in public spaces outside of the island.

* You say "east coasters" in your post but I want to stress that people from Nova Scotia or wherever will be totally and understandably ambivalent or ignorant of the issue. Their opinions don't hold a lot of weight here.

Edit: I should also clarify that whether you're talking about a person or a cultural concept matters a lot. As far as I know saying stuff like "Newfie cuisine" or "Newfie music" is always fine, no matter who says it. Saying "That Newfie" or "A crowd of Newfies" or something else along those lines that refers to a person or people can get dicey depending on context and environment.

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Jan 6, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1346618077589483520

Oh, the rapture.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/maggiekb1/status/1346551820496330758

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Soysaucebeast posted:

I can sympathize. I recently re-read A Time To Kill, and holy crap I don't remember it being as bad as it was, even with the subject matter.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mak0rz posted:

No worries! Ultimately attitudes are going to vary a lot depending on generation, where on the island they're from, and whether or not they've had to work abroad. Even then there's not really a predictable pattern (except that it's never unacceptable for Newfies to say it to each other). If you don't know, just don't say it. If there's a Newfoundlander* you know closely enough, then simply ask them, but regardless still refrain from using it in public spaces outside of the island.

* You say "east coasters" in your post but I want to stress that people from Nova Scotia or wherever will be totally and understandably ambivalent or ignorant of the issue. Their opinions don't hold a lot of weight here.

Edit: I should also clarify that whether you're talking about a person or a cultural concept matters a lot. As far as I know saying stuff like "Newfie cuisine" or "Newfie music" is always fine, no matter who says it. Saying "That Newfie" or "A crowd of Newfies" or something else along those lines that refers to a person or people can get dicey depending on context and environment.

Not to continue the derail, but since I have a similar issue regarding pets that sound like slurs (treeing walker coonhounds), does this also apply to the dogs? Like am I going to unintentionally offend someone if I use the word newfie for the dog also?

I've legitimately never known that some people considered it a slur so this is mind blowing. I considered it just like saying Texan or Aussie or whatever.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

iwentdoodie posted:

Not to continue the derail, but since I have a similar issue regarding pets that sound like slurs (treeing walker coonhounds), does this also apply to the dogs? Like am I going to unintentionally offend someone if I use the word newfie for the dog also?

Good question! I actually don't know. I've never heard of anyone objecting to its use to refer to the dog breed now that I think about it. Usually the issue only comes up when you direct it at people.

iwentdoodie posted:

I've legitimately never known that some people considered it a slur so this is mind blowing. I considered it just like saying Texan or Aussie or whatever.

And to some of us, it really is that innocuous!

Here's a paper about it if you care to read it. It's behind a paywall but the abstract alone can give you an idea of why it's complicated.

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 02:43 on Jan 6, 2021

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/corypalmer/status/1346626530185764865?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

If you didn't hear the glass smashing in your head then we lived very different lives in our early 20s.