Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

pentyne posted:

It's come up a few times in his long winded tales, but Micheal Franzese said that you couldn't even yell at a made guy without facing some serious consequences, much less any threats of violence. Shooting at one and getting a pass would be insane.

It's like Hill says in Goodfellas:"(what the bosses and the) the organization offer is protection for the kinds of guys who can't go to the cops." If you don't have respect, which is actually fear, and can get away with that sort of thing then like pentyne said it all falls apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Speaking of manners, in that ep where Carmella's father has a birthday and Tony gifts him a Beretta, the snob friend of his inlaws recounts that they never export their best pieces. Was he saying that to imply a) that Tony had purchased a lesser gift or b) that the piece was top-notch and therefore it must be stolen?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’ve always wondered that myself, it could really go either way, both are incredibly insulting to the host of the party.

EDIT: I also cringe when Tony doesn’t break the gun down and put it back in the case, just stuffs it in the trunk of their car fully assembled.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I've always read it as option A. And yeah, Russ Fagoli sucks and so does Carmella's mom in that episode.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I loving hate when Carm’s mother pulls that “I thought you had already made a decision, I heard you, I’m just agreeing with you!” bullshit.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

I've always read it as option A. And yeah, Russ Fagoli sucks and so does Carmella's mom in that episode.

Same here. He's a classist snob throughout the entire episode so I assumed that remark was just a continuation of that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So you’re a doctor like Kissinger’s a doctor.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I’ve always wondered that myself, it could really go either way, both are incredibly insulting to the host of the party.

EDIT: I also cringe when Tony doesn’t break the gun down and put it back in the case, just stuffs it in the trunk of their car fully assembled.

I always read it as a "yeah I can afford this but I know nothing about it" type of thing.

Unlike the REAL collectors of expensive custom made firearms that I had imported through proper channels. Also the whole "was it acquired through legal means" subtext. But more kind of like some Nouveau riche douchebag showing off a new bottle of vintage wine but lacking the glassware and proper service to make it special or important enough to the people impressed by that sort of poo poo in the first place who didn't know enough to uncork it properly to let it breathe enough, even though they couldn't blind taste test a 100 year old bottle of wine versus a grocery store brand in the first place.

If that makes sense.

Felt like attempts at one upsmanship all the way around really.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still think it was Russ suggesting that Tony got it sent to him via the black market (we already saw that Annalisa had no issue shipping over weapons/military stuff as part of their trade agreement) but whatever it actually was, the end result is the same: he's basically insulting the host of his friend's party because he's a huge loving snob.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I still think it was Russ suggesting that Tony got it sent to him via the black market (we already saw that Annalisa had no issue shipping over weapons/military stuff as part of their trade agreement) but whatever it actually was, the end result is the same: he's basically insulting the host of his friend's party because he's a huge loving snob.

The obvious implication is you can't even obtain one legally in the US so it was only obtained via criminal acts. Just a sort of "how much blood money ya think he paid lol"

The snobby Italians were like a mirror to the working class types usually shown associated with Tony. Like Melfi's and Cusamano's dinners with their rich friends and always bemoaning the reputation of Italian-Americans in the US then happily mocking (snobs at Tony's party) or fetishizing (Cusmano's golf buddies) that very same thing.

Kind of a both sides thing where the rich Italians wanted to be seen as classy sophisticated figures of culture while being just as guilty of the same poo poo they hurled at everyone else.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Oh man, I know. I don't even care about nice, artisinal? guns but I felt the same way. :lol:

Matt Zerella posted:

It appears in that episode that she's a real social climber, which is not unusual for certain groups with public relations issues (mob adjacency, as in for real). I get why some people would be starsuckers if the only other people they were aware of were, well, scumbags like Tony. The kicker is that she doesn't want to be ordinary either, she's a cut above. That's why it's always fun to watch Hugh just brush her off. "Bullshit!"

Jerusalem posted:

I still think it was Russ suggesting that Tony got it sent to him via the black market (we already saw that Annalisa had no issue shipping over weapons/military stuff as part of their trade agreement)

Good catch. The gift seems so sudden, as he claims he wasn't even going. He obviously just said that to rebuff Carmella when she uninvited him but still, you don't imagine he's just got an expensive Beretta laying around.

BiggerBoat posted:

Felt like attempts at one upsmanship all the way around really.

Maybe that's why Hugh looks all crestfallen after the last exchange between Tony and Fagoli. They were almost like two kids being all "he's MY friend!"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
David Chase is on the newest Talkin Sopranos btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TanrL_UuNck

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/sindap/status/1345383629422293000

I guess that cookie poo poo stopped making them nervous.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Probably been posted already in this chat, but this one caught me off guard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgfnysJyMso

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/shutupmikeginn/status/1345525164792954880

https://twitter.com/GarrisonDuckwo1/status/1345527738787098625

:staredog:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://twitter.com/SeanPWhiteley/status/1345536965815521282

EDIT: OH GOD IT'S ON YOUTUBE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AidV4X3yUc

Vichan fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 3, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/shutupmikeginn/status/1345527755996233728

I don't hate the opening credits.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
That two-shot of "Tony" with "Melfi" has strong MadTV vibes

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
That's pretty cool.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Turkish AJ doesnt look fat or dumb enough

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
really curious about their choice for Hesh

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Started The Wire tonight. Why the gently caress wasn't McNulty cast as Max Payne? God that fuckin awful movie

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheGabafool/status/1345170828514775040?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

codo27 posted:

Started The Wire tonight. Why the gently caress wasn't McNulty cast as Max Payne? God that fuckin awful movie

He was however cast as Jigsaw in one of those terrible Punisher movies. Somehow he was still a better Jigsaw than the one they had in the Netflix series :cripes:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jerusalem posted:

He was however cast as Jigsaw in one of those terrible Punisher movies. Somehow he was still a better Jigsaw than the one they had in the Netflix series :cripes:

Punisher: War Zone is a great Punisher movie. It's very stupid and over-the-top and does not try to make Punisher some kind of brooding "cool" character.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Which one had Kevin Nash playing the Russian? I remember really enjoying that scene at least.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jerusalem posted:

Which one had Kevin Nash playing the Russian? I remember really enjoying that scene at least.

That was the 2004(?) Thomas Jane/John Travolta one; and yeah, that and the sequence where he "tortures" the guy with a popsicle were the two only really memorable scenes (both directly lifted from the comics.)

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
P:WZ loving rules

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JethroMcB posted:

That was the 2004(?) Thomas Jane/John Travolta one; and yeah, that and the sequence where he "tortures" the guy with a popsicle were the two only really memorable scenes (both directly lifted from the comics.)

I still remember laughing at what was supposed to be the dramatic murder of Frank's family because they decided his wife and kids were not enough but instead had to wipe out the Castle line to like the third cousins.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Jerusalem posted:

Best use of Kevin Nash in a movie is him peacing the gently caress out of the first John Wick.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Best use of Kevin Nash in a movie is him peacing the gently caress out of the first John Wick.

The first third of that movie is genius, because it's just a bunch of characters reacting to Wick's name with varying levels of awe and terror as they realize some dumbass killed his dog and stole his car.

Powerful Mob Boss: "I heard you hit my son"

Lowly Mechanic: "I did sir, but well, he stole John Wick's car"

Powerful Mob Boss: "Oh"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was legitimately great. My one regret is that at the end of John Wick 2 when the gigantic bounty on Wick gets announced to every assassin in the world, there wasn't a scene of Kevin Nash seeing him and just ignoring him because he's not a stupid man.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 7, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was so excited for JW3 then I watched 2 and didn't bother to see the new one

I can't get over how much D'Angelos voice and speech patterns are like Patrice O'Neal. Thought they had to be brothers but I guess it's just a regional thing. Boy is it hard keeping track of everybody

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JW3 is significantly better than 2, which I thought was a let down after how good the first one was.

Now that I've finished up the Way Down in the Hole podcast, it's time to get caught up on Talkin' Sopranos I guess. That or just rewatch the whole show again..... why not both!?!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

codo27 posted:

I was so excited for JW3 then I watched 2 and didn't bother to see the new one

I can't get over how much D'Angelos voice and speech patterns are like Patrice O'Neal. Thought they had to be brothers but I guess it's just a regional thing. Boy is it hard keeping track of everybody

John Wick 3 is great, possibly even the best of the three, you should give it a shot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The weird counterintuitive thing about John Wick is that you have to be at least a tiny bit of a film nerd to get the most out of it. Because certainly by the third film the action itself is getting repetitive, and Keanu is Keanu, but the cinematography and the production design are off the charts in comparison to what other action movies are doing. They're the best looking action films we've had in many many years.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I finally caught up with this thread the night after I had a medication induced dream about going to a convention with the character Tony Soprano and it was one of the most anxiety inducing dreams I can remember. Though he seemed extremely amused with cosplayers.

Thanks, subconscious.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Gotta get to sleep with work in the morning and had to stop watching right after Micheal b Jordan found Omar's guy at the pinball machine. How you gonna leave me like that? Is there a Wire thread? Seems to be building up nicely so far

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Wire thread is here, I love hearing new reactions to the show :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Do be warned that it is an open spoiler thread, so there will be tagless chatter about major plot twists and character deaths etc.