Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Simone Magus posted:

Karate kid 3 is a great weird fever dream of a movie wherein Ralph macchio is too fat and on cocaine to even do any fight scenes

And yet still put his foot down and insisted not to be filmed as the romantic interest to a 16 year old girl, which probably makes him one of the least douchey people in Hollywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Ralph Macchio was alsp great when he showed up on Psych, which was another fantastic show that mined the 80s for comedy and pathos.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope they can actually get Terry Silver, dude hasn't acted in like 15 years. Mike Barnes became a soap opera star and is already talking about wanting to do the show.

Yes I am aware they have real names I just don't care

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
We were so shocked to find out Ralph Macchio was approx 22, 25, 27 and 56-59 years old in the films and Kobra Kai respectively. He has such a baby face in the first two at least, would never guess Johnny is younger than him.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The funniest part of Karate Kid 3 is Terry Silvers actor being one year younger than Ralph Macchio while acting the role of a vietnam vet.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 6, 2021

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

Shame no one remembers all the wild crap that went down in the cartoon. Man that theme song must've taken seconds to write.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcrf5i8_b2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFz2ElerHnM

Why is mr. miyagi in the Amazon beating up natives?

Silly Burrito posted:

Out of all the things in those videos, that's what caught your eye? :)

Personally, Daniel riding a torpedo is something he should recreate in Season 4.

Ok fair point I just watched the 2nd video. This cartoon owns.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 6, 2021

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Out of all the things in those videos, that's what caught your eye? :)

Personally, Daniel riding a torpedo is something he should recreate in Season 4.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lmao looks like they made a Cobra Kai video game that showed up on Steam this week.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Why not? Karate is just Japanese imperialism anyway.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Halloween Jack posted:

Why not? Karate is just Japanese imperialism anyway.

That’s the entire undercurrent of the Ip Man films. Karate and Boxing as foreign imperialism, colonialism and cultural contamination.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I like those scenes where he beats everybody up by tapping them very quickly.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

etalian posted:

Lmao looks like they made a Cobra Kai video game that showed up on Steam this week.

It's been on PS4 a few weeks, a couple pages back we discussed it!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

etalian posted:

Its been out for about a month for console gamers. I mentioned it a page or two back; its way better than it has any right to be.

On a different note, I'm rewatching Season 2 and I forgot how hilariously pompous Daniel is.

First he shits on Cobra Kai in the recruitment video by making a snide comment and offering free classes (because Daniel is filthy rich) and then, to reinforce that he's now become the douchebag he once hated, he goes to the country club (!) to go trawling for new students.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

TheCenturion posted:

That’s the entire undercurrent of the Ip Man films. Karate and Boxing as foreign imperialism, colonialism and cultural contamination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAFMXrMl23c

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

MiddleOne posted:

The funniest part of Karate Kid 3 is Terry Silvers actor being one year younger than Ralph Macchio while acting the role of a vietnam vet.

The funniest part for me is how a multi-millionaire CEO and business mogul spends so much time trying to gently caress up a high school kid's day, and taking such glee in the process. Top level cartoon villainy.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 6, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

Its been out for about a month for console gamers. I mentioned it a page or two back; its way better than it has any right to be.

On a different note, I'm rewatching Season 2 and I forgot how hilariously pompous Daniel is.

First he shits on Cobra Kai in the recruitment video by making a snide comment and offering free classes (because Daniel is filthy rich) and then, to reinforce that he's now become the douchebag he once hated, he goes to the country club (!) to go trawling for new students.

Yeah I guess the whole premise was making a whole series out of those Youtube videos on how Daniel-son was the real villain of the original karate kid videos.

Out of town kid wonders why he gets beat up after picking random fights with the locals or trying to sneak off with a guy's girlfriend.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Narcissus1916 posted:

way better than it has any right to be.

Thread title

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hot take though - I watched Karate Kid 2 for the first time and it is, well, not as racist as I thought it would be?

Like its my no means great on that front, but i expected way way worse

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
how come it's always Daniel that learns some secret weapon move? Crane kick, the Okinawan drum thing, now freakin pressure points? When does Johnny get to learn a special move

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

The funniest part for me is how a multi-millionaire CEO and business mogul spends so much time trying to gently caress up a high school kid's day, and taking such glee in the process. Top level cartoon villainy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLC1fSLnJNY

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

how come it's always Daniel that learns some secret weapon move? Crane kick, the Okinawan drum thing, now freakin pressure points? When does Johnny get to learn a special move

Presumably pretty soon! S3 just it up near the end by establishing that the Cobra Kai style is descended from Tang Soo Do, which is the style that Billy Zabka is familiar with and trained in. I can't see how that's coincidental. It'd be cool to see him get a "getting in touch with his Karate Forefathers" episode like Daniel got this season.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Johnny is gonna learn the mythical front sweep.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I honestly find it kinda moving how Silver is so dedicated to his old Vietnam buddy that he will do anything for him, including tormenting his enemies for petty reasons. They could have done something interesting with all the Dojo leaders being traumatized war veterans if the movie hadn't been so campy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I absolutely lost my poo poo at

"We spell cobra with a K. They can call us triple K."

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

in season 4 johnny's gonna throw a hadouken

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm pretty sure Tang Soo Do is Chuck Norris' style, which makes a lot of sense.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm pretty sure Tang Soo Do is Chuck Norris' style, which makes a lot of sense.

Wow. Is Chuck Norris still alive?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
So Chuck Norris for Season 4 then as Johnny's new sensei?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
me: i love that this show is campy instead of realistic but still at least kinda grounded in reality

also me: chuck norris plz teach johnny to haduken terry silver off the top of dynatox tower

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Roy Moore fan Chuck Norris?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/reliable-source/wp/2017/08/08/and-the-latest-chuck-norris-political-endorsement-goes-to/?outputType=amp

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

wooger posted:

Wow. Is Chuck Norris still alive?
He's 80, and a chud, so no.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Skip the below if you don't want to read rants about how I'm annoyed by an unrealistic TV show...

A funny recurring joke in the first Stranger Things season was Mike's dad, who seemed to be completely checked out and unaware of anything going on in his children's lives -- after all, it was the 80s, there was no such thing as a helicopter parent back then!

Flash forward to today, and Cobra Kai will have us believe, apart from a quick PTA meeting with the briefest of "won't someone please think of the children" outcry, there's effectively no one objecting to the sustained and ongoing criminal activities that the Cobra Kai crew are undertaking? A poster a few pages back detailed the litany of crimes that they're tallying up, but it's just absurd. It's so far beyond the dismissive "my child is being bullied!" kind of activities, but we're talking felonious assaults. I get that it's TV land and characters can walk off what would actually be seriously traumatic injury if these fights were real -- seriously, Miguel isn't the only one who'd be in a coma -- but are they really suggesting that the kind of attacks that [I'm sorry I don't know the characters names but the two "nerd" stereotypes, the smallest kids who were enemies at one point] are subjected to, like the one being thrown through a window by people who essentially commit a gang home invasion are not going to result in a police investigation? Evidently Daniel took care of it himself and talked the parents down? "Yeah, I'm sorry your child was almost murdered, but don't worry, we're going to settle this with a karate tournament, I'm sure these psychopaths won't harm your child again. What's that? Well, yeah, they broke into my home and attacked everyone inside, but I don't think we need to involve the police in this one."

What's worse, at least two of these characters (Tory and Robbie) are looking like legitimate sociopaths. In Robbie's case, dude gets released from jail, shows up at his (ex?) girlfriend's house, and immediately intends to attack a kid he just put in a coma. Are you kidding me? But Tory has a sick mom and has to work two jobs, so she's sympathetic, I guess we should ignore the fact that she's terrorizing someone.

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 7, 2021

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I mean, I totally agree. However, I think the show has done an okay job of making villain characters have sympathetic traits or backgrounds while still making it clear they are making bad choices. I just think that's good writing. Making villains complex layered people that you can feel sympathy for is often, though not always, a good thing. Kreese's whole Vietnam flashback subplot this season makes his outlook and actions sympathetic, you can understand how he came to be the way he is and feel bad that the world has broken him that way. It doesn't change the fact that he is knowingly choosing to harm innocent people. Explanations aren't excuses basically.

I do think the lack of real world response is kind of funny, but it fits with the 80's movie sequel escalation theme, so I try to suspend disbelief. Seriously though, when Daniel files his insurance paperwork for the thousands of dollars of property damage, not to mention medical liabilities, his provider is gonna want a police report. Tory is definitely getting charged as an adult after committing assault with a deadly weapon, again.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Cobra Kai takes place with an enlightened cast of characters who know the LAPD is itself a violent gang of career criminals and has no capacity to resolve or assist conflict.

The only unrealistic part is the rich white people also knowing this.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sand Monster posted:

Skip the below if you don't want to read rants about how I'm annoyed by an unrealistic TV show...

It's a melodrama, not prestige television.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
TV shows are usually a generation-or-so behind because they reflect the writer's realities growing up as opposed to current realities. I got into plenty of scuffles in the '90s. Nothing as crazy as the show (obviously) but given dramatic license, I'm basically fine with that. Kids beat each other up. That didn't really stop until Columbine because that upset the social order the beatings were designed to enforce.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Medullah posted:

One of my favorite parts of season 3 was the fan service fake out in Kreese's flashbacks.
Not me. I'm sick to death of humanizing villains.

Some people are just evil. I don't need movie #678 about how awesome and tragic a lovely person's reason is for abusing people. It's something that every writer should remove from their toolbox after the last four years.

"What if this person who harms others constantly without remorse is the real victim" isn't just hack bullshit, though. It's dangerous. If you've ever known somebody who was abused by a parent or their spouse, it super doesn't loving matter what their abuser's sympathetic story they tell themselves and others is.

I've had enough people weaponize my empathy against me. I hate it when art I'm trying to enjoy does it too.

Still love the show, but I hated, hated, hated that part of Season 3.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Some people are just evil. I don't need movie #678 about how awesome and tragic a lovely person's reason is for abusing people. It's something that every writer should remove from their toolbox after the last four years.

"What if this person who harms others constantly without remorse is the real victim" isn't just hack bullshit, though. It's dangerous. If you've ever known somebody who was abused by a parent or their spouse, it super doesn't loving matter what their abuser's sympathetic story they tell themselves and others is.

I've had enough people weaponize my empathy against me. I hate it when art I'm trying to enjoy does it too.

I just want to let you know that I appreciate you addressing this giant elephant in the room. Having a job where I work with actual abusers and criminals was a huge eye opener. You really start to notice all the tricks TV does to make you like the characters rarely occur in real-life. Kind of how Johnny, a middle aged white racist, bends over backward to help an Ecuadorian family rather than become full MAGAtard.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

This is an extremely fair point. I personally feel that attempting to explain some of the why behind the actions of an evil character can flesh them out without trying to excuse their behaviour. I can totally see how it can rub someone the wrong way, especially when dealing with characters who are abusers. My experiences with abusive people are mostly indirect, so that probably colours my opinion on the matter.

Also, there are definitely a ton of shows/stories that conflate explaining why someone is an evil bastard and excusing it. For Cobra Kai, I feel sorry for Kreese, but only to the extent that nobody should have to experience that kind of trauma. That trauma doesn't remove his culpability from his sociopathic and violent actions though.

Tangentially related, did anyone else get the feeling that they've been hinting Kreese has been lying about his war experiences? Have any characters actually looked him up and confirmed anything? Seems awful convenient that a bunch of his claims are all black ops type classified poo poo. Plus, even in his own PoV flashbacks, we see him take part in exactly one ATeam type raid and it goes sideways when he fucks up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I don't feel that Kreese has been humanized by his war experiences. They explain why he is a villain but that's different. The Joker or Skeletor getting dumped into a vat that deforms them explains why they are a villain but doesn't really humanize them. Creese is the same way. He's a bad guy who took the wrong lessons and made the wrong choices.

Everybody is the hero in their own story. Showing that story doesn't change that. Look at Dimitri. He deserves everything he gets and worse. I don't think showing his damage undermines his status.