Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

Unless we’re going to call Luke Skywalker a monster because of all the Imperial troops on board the Death Star?

ok, let's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Everything Burrito posted:

should have just stopped after making the goblins(?) beefy men

I miss the original Oni designs.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

luke skywalker is a monster for hoarding all the green milk

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Silver2195 posted:

Unless we’re going to call Luke Skywalker a monster because of all the Imperial troops on board the Death Star?

yes, i've seen clerks

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I can't believe Log Horizon is coming back. I gotta dust off my database memes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

I can't believe Log Horizon is coming back. I gotta dust off my database memes.

Sadly, they cancelled the database in favour of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FdDoEg3WaU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the real question is will the ED be the 3rd time running of akatsuki-focus vignettes with the cast around her

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

But in Tonegawa it leads to a cool card game. I remain undecided on middle managers.

i think there's only one way to really solidify a position in this matter. we have to wait for a new season of kaiji where the cast gets isekai'd

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Silver2195 posted:

I don’t see how killing large groups of invading human soldiers who themselves have genocidal intentions, as invading armies in real life sometimes do is remotely comparable to trying to exterminate every last goblin, who are all dangerous rapists because of arbitrary world-building. At a high level of abstraction, both cases are alike inasmuch as the protagonist is killing large numbers of sentient beings for reasons that are ultimately justified (just like anything else in a work of fiction) because of decisions the author made, but treating them as equivalent seems pretty obtuse. Unless we’re going to call Luke Skywalker a monster because of all the Imperial troops on board the Death Star?
As a very casual fan of the manga up to that point it was the combination of making it clear that even if anyone surrendered they would still get slaughtered (this is a bad thing to do), going out of its way to have a sympathetic chapter on a One Of The Good Ones enemy soldier who didn't want to be there and had a tragic backstory for doing so (this is bad writing), and the follow up in the world/setting being a collective handwave/shrug from everyone else (a double whammy of bad thing to do and bad writing). There's probably some interesting things you could have done in that setting if it had actually been willing to commit to there being consequences but it being so quickly forgotten showed that they were taking the far lamer path of least resistance of just using it as an excuse to further the power fantasy climb rather than any sort of drama with plot gravitas.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Nate RFB posted:

As a very casual fan of the manga up to that point it was the combination of making it clear that even if anyone surrendered they would still get slaughtered (this is a bad thing to do), going out of its way to have a sympathetic chapter on a One Of The Good Ones enemy soldier who didn't want to be there and had a tragic backstory for doing so (this is bad writing), and the follow up in the world/setting being a collective handwave/shrug from everyone else (a double whammy of bad thing to do and bad writing). There's probably some interesting things you could have done in that setting if it had actually been willing to commit to there being consequences but it being so quickly forgotten showed that they were taking the far lamer path of least resistance of just using it as an excuse to further the power fantasy climb rather than any sort of drama with plot gravitas.

It's the bolded part for me. I can accept that sometimes bad things happen in war, but when the aftermath is just a collective shrug and 'eh, whatever, they deserve it + you did what you had to do' in a straight-up slaughter, that's when the alarms get sounded for me.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Boring low effort show has boring low effort plot beat. A truly shocking development.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lemon-Lime posted:

Sadly, they cancelled the database in favour of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FdDoEg3WaU

While unfortunate, the data is never truly all gone. Just gotta believe.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
https://twitter.com/AniTrendz/status/1346836267422519302

So they won't get to Goldy Pond this season then. Interesting :raise:

There will be some new content, I guess

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Man, I forgot just how weird the world of Umamusume is to facilitate the existence of horsegirls. Chairs with tail holes, extra-long phones, shoes with horseshoes on them.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Ibblebibble posted:

Man, I forgot just how weird the world of Umamusume is to facilitate the existence of horsegirls. Chairs with tail holes, extra-long phones, shoes with horseshoes on them.

And yet, the girls themselves don't have horse shoes. But it still makes the sound of stampeding horses when they're all running.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Results so far:

- Last Dungeon Boonies (or whatever shorthand will be used to try to cut down on the title size)*: I found the first episode charming and the protagonist to be refreshingly nice, as opposed to the way so many OP main characters who are so full of themselves. Some of the others are a tad screamy, but I'm hoping they tone it down as the series progresses.

-Youjo Shachou: An OVA released at the start of the year, it's a set of shorts asking the question "What if a four-year old child who isn't Elon Musk becomes the CEO of a corporation?" The main character is ridiculously twee (they even make the episode titles cutsey-poo), but somehow it works. I suspect when you get sugar in small spoonfuls instead of chunks, you're less liable to succumb to diabetes. As such, don't watch all 12 at once unless you have insulin.

Still waiting for Kemono Jihen and Heaven's Design Bureau, but I should see those by the end of the week.

*Yes, I know. Irony's a bitch. :holy:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neverland manga is finished, right?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sakurazuka posted:

Neverland manga is finished, right?

Yes, though s2 wouldn't cover the entire manga anyways.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Man I was way excited for otherside picnic and it did not disappoint. I've only read the manga adaptation, but I got kind of surprised by the comedy beats - not in a bad way though. Looking forward to where this goes. Anybody who's read the LN, would you rec it to somebody who likes the show and the manga adaptations but hasn't really clicked with an LN before?

Doodles posted:

- Last Dungeon Boonies (or whatever shorthand will be used to try to cut down on the title size)*: I found the first episode charming and the protagonist to be refreshingly nice, as opposed to the way so many OP main characters who are so full of themselves. Some of the others are a tad screamy, but I'm hoping they tone it down as the series progresses.

Yeah Last Dungeon was fun. Decent gags and the cast seems good so far. I think "refreshing" is a good way to describe him. Only real downside is that every single fantasy manga adaptation makes me wish for a dungeon meshi anime, and that ain't really a prob with the show.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

copy posted:

Man I was way excited for otherside picnic and it did not disappoint. I've only read the manga adaptation, but I got kind of surprised by the comedy beats - not in a bad way though. Looking forward to where this goes. Anybody who's read the LN, would you rec it to somebody who likes the show and the manga adaptations but hasn't really clicked with an LN before?

If you've liked the show and the manga, then yes, absolutely. The prose is quite good and adds a lot of nuance that visual media like anime and manga just can't really without breaking their own pacing, plus the four novels currently translated cover much more material than the manga currently has or than I expect the anime to hit.

Also, nitpick: Otherside Picnic is apparently just classified as a regular novel - not a light novel. The author's made tweets half-joking about getting frustrated when bookstores mistakenly list it in the LN sections because it costs him sales with people who dismiss LNs out of hand.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I blame MyAnimeList and Anichart.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

If you've liked the show and the manga, then yes, absolutely. The prose is quite good and adds a lot of nuance that visual media like anime and manga just can't really without breaking their own pacing, plus the four novels currently translated cover much more material than the manga currently has or than I expect the anime to hit.

Also, nitpick: Otherside Picnic is apparently just classified as a regular novel - not a light novel. The author's made tweets half-joking about getting frustrated when bookstores mistakenly list it in the LN sections because it costs him sales with people who dismiss LNs out of hand.

Thanks for the rec, friend. I also appreciate the clarification re: Novel/LN. I'll have to pick them up after finishing my current reading list.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/muteanime/status/1347030999469678592/photo/1

yurucamp s2 is airing right after a rerun of a place further than the universe, so there's official crossover art

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Is that girl holding a prinny?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its just a generic penguin plushie because penguins are a running joke in place further than the universe, but it is somewhat prinny-esque

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Homura and Sickle posted:

this sounds way worse than anything attack on titan has presented and that show is the go to for being called fascist for enjoying by weird internet dumbos who never engaged with the material but read an angry summary from a 7th grader once and got really mad
I haven't read that summary and I've just finished season 3, but it's like, really transparent? Eldeans = japanese, false history that marleans feed them = japanese war crimes that author doesn't believe happened, violent persecution of eldeans = japanese being made to feel uncomfortable when people bring up war crimes. Maybe it'll be subverted in last season, I dunno.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Attack on Titan appropriates fascist and holocaust imagery quite blatantly.

This does not mean it necessarily condones it or otherwise treats it in a positive light, and it is certainly possible for a work to explore such themes in a way that interesting and non-damaging. However refusing to engage or grapple with those themes being there in the first place honestly kind of sucks and when some AoT fans rush to its defense to paper over them it's hard to not read it being taken in bad faith.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Attack on Titan appropriates fascist and holocaust imagery quite blatantly.

This does not mean it necessarily condones it or otherwise treats it in a positive light, and it is certainly possible for a work to explore such themes in a way that interesting and non-damaging. However refusing to engage or grapple with those themes being there in the first place honestly kind of sucks and when some AoT fans rush to its defense to paper over them it's hard to not read it being taken in bad faith.

Yeah the show is actually about how fascism and historical revisionism is really really bad. It builds a fascist propaganda wet dream scenario and then gradually reveals that every element of it is a lie constructed to maintain a specific power structure that isolates the powerful from consequences to their actions. It's pretty neat tbh but it's definitely a pretty direct commentary on fascism

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Forgall posted:

I haven't read that summary and I've just finished season 3, but it's like, really transparent? Eldeans = japanese, false history that marleans feed them = japanese war crimes that author doesn't believe happened, violent persecution of eldeans = japanese being made to feel uncomfortable when people bring up war crimes. Maybe it'll be subverted in last season, I dunno.
:psyduck:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the part where the author of attack on titan is a fascist is the part where he said a guy who did war crimes irl is a guy he admired and thats entirely separate to whatevers going on in the plot of attack on titan

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

ninjewtsu posted:

Yeah the show is actually about how fascism and historical revisionism is really really bad. It builds a fascist propaganda wet dream scenario and then gradually reveals that every element of it is a lie constructed to maintain a specific power structure that isolates the powerful from consequences to their actions. It's pretty neat tbh but it's definitely a pretty direct commentary on fascism
It went from "we are last remnants of our people, surrounded on all sides by implacable and overwhelming enemy" to "we are last remnants of our people, surrounded on all sides by implacable and overwhelming enemy". The world-shattering revelation actually kept the status quo.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

They aren't the last remnants of their people, their people exist all over the world and we are viewing s4 directly from their perspective?

It is true that they are still in conflict with a larger enemy though so if you wanna go that abstract and vague about it the basic structure of the story did not change that radically no. They have not overcome overcome the symbolic concept of walls this is still the same story

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Dude, they're literally kept in ghetto's and forced to wear star of david armbands. It's pretty blatant that the Eldians are the Jews and the whole thing is a holocaust metaphor.

The show is extremely anti-war, there is zero chance it's secretly about how war crimes are pretty rad, actually. The upcoming episode will make it pretty clear that's not what it's about.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no seriously why do the specifics of the plot matter

quote:

In 2010, Isayama posted a blog post admitting that Dot Pixis was modeled after General Yoshifuru Akiyama, a general in the Imperial Japanese Army, to whom Isayama said "I respect for leading such a simple and frugal life."

maybe hes changed his opinions in the past decade but if you wanna say the attack on titan guy is a fascist just point to the part where he says he respects a colonizer

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Any history buffs here to tell us how well AoT maps onto the Russo-Japanese War

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Any history buffs here to tell us how well AoT maps onto the Russo-Japanese War
nobody on this forum knows what the russo-japanese war is except the plot of golden kamuy

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that was the one where the japanese had sabertooth tigers.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Endorph posted:

maybe hes changed his opinions in the past decade but if you wanna say the attack on titan guy is a fascist just point to the part where he says he respects a colonizer

A lot of people respect historical figures who it turns out did lovely things. A lot of historical figures did do lovely things that gets glossed over, especially when he was a member of your countries military. That doesn't make people who admire aspects of them or are ignorant of the magnitude of their shittiness secretly fascists.

Saying that we should just ignore that the guy is currently writing a virulently anti-fascist and anti-war manga because of a decade old blog post is a pretty flawed take tbh.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Yeah the author said a really dumb lovely thing in a (iirc private) blog 10 years ago, the extent to which the story is modeled after being pro-fascist I think is a different conversation.

I've never really been a big fan of using death of the author to sweep these kinds of things under the rug but as a jewish guy I'm seeing some intense anti-fascist messaging in the work and to my knowledge the author hasn't said very much pro-fascist stuff and hasn't at all since I graduated from high school. I understand why this poo poo he said before makes people uncomfortable with the story but for me personally I'm comfortable enjoying the work and what seems, to me, to be the intended message even if a blog post from 2010 contradicts it a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Isayama is a dumbass for supporting a general and I can believe he did a bunch of bad poo poo as a general in a brutal, expansionist colonial power. I understand why Chinese and Korean readers would be offended by the link. But I also think it should be mentioned that Akiyama retired in 1923 (died in 1930) and I can't find any sources specifically tying him to any war crimes.