Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ciaphas posted:

is that the gym that introduced mountain climbers

because yeah.... yeah.......

No, it's a fair bit after that: 30x thigh press, 30x squat, 60x mountain climbers, 30x wide squat, 16x chair pose

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Oh lord I remember that one. Squat to climbers to more squats is some evil poo poo

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That gym made me want to die. Are you able to do those gyms from casual mode or whatever? Because I’d do that one on a day I’m feeling particularly self-loathing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

AnonSpore posted:

No, it's a fair bit after that: 30x thigh press, 30x squat, 60x mountain climbers, 30x wide squat, 16x chair pose

i had a similar set of fit skills on an adventure workout. It just about killed me too, even with 60% of the reps you're on due to difficulty (:smith:)

Luckily my legs are my strongest by a mile, but still!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh god I just got to that one too. I literally can't do wide squats, I have to cheat by just doing a normal squat but facing diagonally. And I'm pretty sure the form on my mountain climbers is terrible but I don't care because they make me want to die anyway.

It reminded me of the short period where I tried going to a group crossfit gym. So many burpees, never again.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

organburner posted:

The issue is, if you have the same brain worms that I do and you only play adventure mode and want max damage, some exercises just don't make sense to slot gameplay wise as they do so little damage.

I think someone said that at NG++ all skills are max damage so you can rotate them in and out whenever?

I would probably still need to use the outside gym mode to ever do those healing exercises though lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah on your third playthrough you get level 4 moves and all have the same attack power, you also get a new shake that boosts the power of every type of move.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I passed level 100 the other day and I am at the stage with the stone statues. I went to play one of them and I ended up doing like 80 squats and hit my limit. Barely finished the level and called it a day afterwards.

I think its good to get that stuff in and the core exercises, but my sessions have been light on cardio the past week or so.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The zone you're talking about has a level that nearly made me throw the game out a window. There's one stage where you have to do one of those super-tall trampoline jumps that take like 10 squats to do, and at the very top of the trampoline is a moving block that you have no way of seeing or hearing. The block goes all the way to the edge of the path, so unless your timing is lucky, it will push you off and right back down to the trampoline. It took me four tries to get to the top and stay there.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

By the way, if you beat the real Drageaux the statue bosses all disappear so it would be beneficial to beat him last. He’s in the stage where the estimated exp is like 10x all the other stages.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I ordered a weight vest like 2 months ago and it finally came today (this one) Tried a round with 42 pounds, which was too much, and lowered the difficulty from 25 to 19. I usually do 5 days a week for 20-30 minutes, did about 15 minutes today. I also do some resistance stuff the days I ring fit and today was leg day so legs were tired. Observations:

Running was surprisingly much harder. I don’t normally think of the running in place as doing much of anything but it was definitely tuckering me out.

Planks: I had the weights kind of evenly distributed in the pockets and the lower flap over my stomach kept flopping forward despite being strapped down. Made the exercise irritating but not more effective. Hoping when I cut weights and move them around tomorrow I’ll solve that problem because I like planks.

Warrior 3: I thought this would be really hard or maybe impossible with the extra weight on my torso but it just made the exercise harder in a good way. Felt it more in my stomach than usual. I like doing it on leg day because it stretches out my hamstrings but I was feeling it more in my abs today.

Overhead squats: Much harder in a good way. The vest was interfering with my range of motion during the dynamic stretching and I was worried it would be a having my arms overhead here but it was fine. Weight vest was definitely a plus.

Mountain climbers: basically nothing.

Boat pose: to the extent I could do it at all it was fantastic but I had too much weight and the weights around my lower back were interfering with my movement and I could only get one or two good reps (good imo, ring was oblivious to what was going on) out a set. Hoping when I drop the weight tomorrow this works out better.

Side step: I don’t set this very often and when I do I usually do ice skaters instead of the side step because it’s a bit more strenuous and registers ok (I just do regular side steps if I’m getting graded on it in a fitness gym or something). Just did regular ones and it was exhausting but the vest was restricting my arm movement and it wasn’t registering that well.

Russian twist: surprisingly improved. Not like a huge jump in difficulty but enough and the vest didn’t interfere with it.

Chair pose: straight up improvement.

Triceps kickback: obviously no effect from the vest but I did them standing on the lightest resistance band I have under my back leg and could barely do them. Will definitely try that again.

I also had to do an ab twist rush which was basically impossible to do fast with the vest because of the momentum. Not more strenuous, just not possible. Think that was everything I tried. I’ll keep fiddling and trying other exercises till I have a firm opinion. Did all my favorites today so I’ll see if there’s anything else that I think would benefit tomorrow.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I wish they'd put something to do in Adventure Mode after you finish NG++, like let you re-do it with everything marked as incomplete, or at least respawn the bosses.

I could just start the whole game over, but I don't want to give up my ~global stats~ and I really don't want to give up Level 4 Skills

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I thought the journey to fitness never ended

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

By the way, if you beat the real Drageaux the statue bosses all disappear so it would be beneficial to beat him last. He’s in the stage where the estimated exp is like 10x all the other stages.

lmao I thought he appeared in the last stage regardless, I guess I was just unlucky! Or lucky depending on your point of view.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I guess I didn’t read that properly and yesterday I beat it with one or two stages left.

I had to do that moving platform squat area like 4 or 5 times to get it right before I got to him.

I’m not so worried about not getting xp in this game. Even if I fail and have to redo a level I still get the workout. I’ve only failed a level once, and had to abandon one time when I was feeling ill and couldn’t finish it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It feels like levels matter a lot until they don't matter at all; I'm a fair chunk past level 200 right now (turns out religiously doing ring presses as you run puts you far far ahead of the intended exp curve) and I'm not even done with my first playthrough. It's gonna suck fighting my lizard brain urge to do the Most Efficient Move when that'd mean I'm stuck with the same moveset for the entirety of NG+.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Once you are strong enough the power of the move isn’t so important so I still rotate in certain moves even if they aren’t the strongest. Like, Wide Squat is the strongest three-target blue attack but I don’t want to be doing wide squats all the time, so I do side steps and knee life combos sometimes. The only issue is that the strongest three-target red move is tricep kickback lv 3 at like 430 which is extremely low so I rarely use it.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I've seen a weight vest or ankle/wrist weights recommended as ways to increase your ringfitting workouts so writing up my experience with using a weight vest with ring fit for a week now. Started with 42 pounds at 16 difficulty, dropped it down to 30 pounds, upped the difficulty to 21.

I've gone through the entire exercise list except for some of the arm exercises which I figure are probably irrelevant, I mostly ignore them anyway. The two I figured the extra top-heaviness of the weight vest would increase the difficulty on the most were Warrior 3 and overhead bend, and they were both very doable for me, even with 42 pounds. I've been avoiding overhead bend a little bit just because ring fit wants a whole lot of reps and I'm nervous about hurting back and shoulders.

While you're doing the exercises, obviously the thing you notice the extra weight on the most is squats. The running in place is a lot harder, too. Day or two after though I'm way sore all through my core -- abs, lower back, and obliques, and I don't think I've ever felt sore in my obliques before in my life.

Having a vest and extra weight around your chest pulling down on your shoulders hurts your mobility. Anything where you have to raise your arms over your head is a lot more difficult, and not in a exercise-is-difficult way. That said I think for the most part it's hurting the game side of it and not the workout -- I'm missing goods and greats on knee lift combo but working a lot harder than I would have without the vest.

I've had to slightly rework how I'm doing some exercises to get extra effect and involve the extra weight. Planks if I slightly push backward off my arms I can feel it a little in my glutes. Mountain climbers I moved my hands forward a little bit and I feel it more in my lower abs.

Aside from the squats all the ab exercises seem to benefit slightly, even the ones you wouldn't think, like leg raises. Just flexing with the extra weight is something. Having 2 inches of weights hanging off your chest makes pendulum bend more awkward than usual, and I always find it awkward, but it burns better.The yoga poses are almost all improved. It's a lot harder to keep your balance on tree pose when you're extra top-heavy. I did not feel like it was adding anything to hinge pose when I tried it, which surprised me. Doesn't really matter for Warrior 2 either. Boat pose is impossible for me with 30 pounds which makes me sad because I like it a lot. I can do it with 15 but that's not enough for everything else.

Other game stuff: rowing is ok, overhead bend I'm pretty sure is making me sore the next day but I don't notice it much while I'm doing it. Squat platforms are miserable. Rowing's ok, flying is awful, flying is always awful and having the weight hanging on my shoulder makes my should start hurting as soon as I start flying. I've done a bunch of fitness gyms and game gyms with the vest. No explanation but had personal bests on smack back and the parachute one with the vest on.

Anyway I'm going to keep using it and for the most part I think it's extending the value of ring fit for me.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I've seen a few videos of playthroughs and noticed that reps can be graded as 'Best'. I'm over level 100 and this whole time I thought 'Great' was the highest grade.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Best is just what the Japanese version (and maybe other versions as well?) uses in place of Great.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

DoubleDonut posted:

Best is just what the Japanese version (and maybe other versions as well?) uses in place of Great.

Ah ok, thank you! That makes a lot of sense since I'm pretty sure all the gameplay videos I've seen recently are from Japanese players. I wonder why they changed it for different versions?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I bought this a couple of weeks or so due to the gyms shutting again because we went back into lockdown. It's pretty impressive

Is there a way to stop the ring from slipping when holding it between your legs or pushed up against your stomach? Every time I do an excersise with it between my legs it will go flying at least once.

Also it feels like I have to put the leg strap on way higher than I should or it starts to slip down, or in the case of mountain climbers the action of doing them will always somehow loosen it. Then I start getting annoyed that squats aren't registering correctly.

I don't know how accurate the heart rate measurement stuff is either, it always seems to register fairly low most of the time. I'm playing on 23 difficulty so I don't think like my heart rate should be like 100bpm after most levels.

Funny thing is I've enjoyed doing the yoga stuff the most and thats probably the least likely thing I'd ever do for excersise haha.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I bought knee sleeves for an unrelated reason but then found they also did a bangin job holding the ring in place for thigh press. For stomach press I don't have a good answer either.

My bpm tends to be around 110 to 130 at best, I think it's just the nature of how the pulse measuring comes after like 10 seconds of rest at minimum. If ramping up your difficulty isn't an option maybe try putting more energy into each rep?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The heart rate measurement is not very accurate, I don’t even bother with it.

For the thigh press, you can lightly hold the top of the Ring Con with your hand to keep it in place. For the stomach stuff, the issue might be the material of your shirt. I’ve found that it has slipped but only when I wear certain workout shirts where the material is very smooth.

I have been able to play this since last Tuesday because I had some minor surgery last Wednesday, and I’m mad about it. I just wanna exercise drat it :argh:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The heart rate measurement is not very accurate, I don’t even bother with it.

For the thigh press, you can lightly hold the top of the Ring Con with your hand to keep it in place. For the stomach stuff, the issue might be the material of your shirt. I’ve found that it has slipped but only when I wear certain workout shirts where the material is very smooth.

I have been able to play this since last Tuesday because I had some minor surgery last Wednesday, and I’m mad about it. I just wanna exercise drat it :argh:

Fair enough it does seem to measure pretty low compared to gym equipment, but even then you aren't supposed to use that as an accurate measurement.

I am wearing my gym gear so maybe thats it, I'll try a normal t-shirt

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If you have something cotton like a cotton undershirt or a cotton-based workout shirt those are not very slippery. But when you start getting into other materials (which are better at moisture wicking and all that) they tend to be more slippery.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
For thigh press, I found that if I tilt the top of the ring towards myself, I have an easier time holding it in place without using my hands.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

day 69 yesterday :nice:

I'm finding that I'm having trouble with a lot of waist-bend exercises because of my gut - more specifically, the excess skin and pockets of stubborn visceral fat hanging there. Keeps me from good form and full range on overhead bends, bounces annoyingly when I jog, etc.

I wonder if I actually have a legitimate excuse to get some kind of compression gear or something...

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I found just wearing an oversized, long shirt and tucking it into my pants reduces that issue. But yeah, if you want to do compression gear, go for it, whatever keeps you moving.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Just hit day 7 - game's great so far :)

Out of curiosity:
  • How high does the difficulty slider go?
  • How necessary are the smoothies?
  • Do you eventually get to buy skills with money, or do you have to unlock all of them by levelling up?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The highest difficulty is 30, increasing it increases the number of reps.

Smoothies are great and you should make tons of them. I always pop a sesame smoothie at the beginning of levels, it gives you double ingredients. For the first few worlds you will need the quick heals for Drageaux battles. Early on you can get an advantage with 2x money or exp smoothies in boss battles or battle gyms. And sometimes you’ll want to use ones that change the colors of moves and boost power.

You unlock a skill tree eventually where you can unlock stuff for skill points, including new attacks. You get skill points by leveling up and sometimes from drinks you get as prizes. Some of those skills also cost money.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Your mileage may very on smoothies being super necessary in the early game. I'm over level 100 and I'm only now running into situations where I need to heal often and use the revive smoothies (because I suck at wide squat ab guards). I honestly get pretty bored squeezing them out when I don't use most of them.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
if you do all the side quests and don't skip fights and upgrade your gear regularly you'll eventually reach a point where basically nothing in the game can actually damage you.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The final boss will still be able to take off like half your health in one hit by buffing himself and debuffing your defense but otherwise yeah almost every enemy becomes a chump eventually. Attack smoothies are mainly there to make sure fights don’t take forever to finish, especially at higher difficulties when you’re doing a lot of reps.

Smoothies that let you go twice in one turn are also essential if you wanna beat the gold/silver enemies that give you a ton of exp/money but tend to run away. You’ll need money all the time even on repeat playthroughs since stores carry upgraded versions of armor. Popping 2x money and extra turn shakes against gold enemies is a pro strat.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Hey if I'm just starting out and, while I do walk around a bit, I'm out of shape and i don't exercise. Also been working from home since march.

So I'm beginner/casual. Should I start out daily or--like I've heard with some exercise regimens in general, I should start out every other day?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Morter posted:

Hey if I'm just starting out and, while I do walk around a bit, I'm out of shape and i don't exercise. Also been working from home since march.

So I'm beginner/casual. Should I start out daily or--like I've heard with some exercise regimens in general, I should start out every other day?

I'd recommend starting out easy, every other day one session. Better safe than sorry imo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Definitely take it slow to start and listen to your body. If you are feeling a lot of pain or like you can’t catch your breath, there’s no punishment for pausing and taking a break for 30-60 seconds. The game kinda makes it seem like it wants you to do everything continuously but even a personal trainer doing high-intensity interval training with you would have you rest for at least a minute between movements.

I just started messing around with Custom mode and it actually rules. Being able to basically do whatever you want including jogging levels is great. An actual use for the stretching movements! Plus you can increase the reps to max without messing with the difficulty level of adventure mode. I just wish that it gave you a better idea of the content in each jogging level, I accidentally picked one that had the platform you move along the track by doing squats and I definitely wouldn’t have picked that level on purpose!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
After a weird mismatch of shipping dates, I will finally get to try it out later. I have been on a large weight loss diet and want to vary my exercises, since everywhere is needlessly closed.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Scalding Coffee posted:

After a weird mismatch of shipping dates, I will finally get to try it out later. I have been on a large weight loss diet and want to vary my exercises, since everywhere is needlessly closed.

“Needlessly”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I hear getting covid is a great way to lose weight