Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

bony tony posted:

After Origins' and Odyssey's approach of "you're only limited by player skill and character level, kill a cultist you're not supposed to because his level is (skull) but you're a badass, go wherever, fuckit"

I actually think this drags the game down a bit in two ways. The first is I hate that some random clerk in a toga is able to kill me in one punch because the game just slapped a larger number on him.

The second is, even if you do manage to kill someone above your level they’ll just drop gear that is their level so you just wasted your time for a reward which may be outclassed by the time you actually reach that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Every time that a noticeably specific-seeming new character turns up in a Yakuza game (playing through Kiwami right now), you have to play a glorious little game with yourself about who they are. Are they:

A: Just a joke one of the developers liked?
B: A reference to a previous Yakuza game?
C: A reference to a bit of modern Japanese culture that you've never heard of before?
Or D: A real-life Japanese celebrity that you've also never heard of?

There's a decent chance of all four of these, and honestly, any result is great to learn about.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh my god, this game

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
man all this odyssey talk makes me want to try a AssCreed game since the last one i played was the on the PSVita and it was kinda assy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're all bad. You pick em up for 15 bucks cause they're always on sale, you think hey it can't be as bad as the last one, then you play it for fifteen hours, drop it realize you remember nothing about it and it dawns on you that it's the equivalent of eating packing peanuts. Just bland nothing consumed with no purpose, another portion of life wasted.

Play ape escape instead, it's pretty fun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

verbal enema posted:

man all this odyssey talk makes me want to try a AssCreed game since the last one i played was the on the PSVita and it was kinda assy

Counterthought, give Odyssey a try. It grabbed me in a way the couple I'd given a shot beforehand never did, it really feels like a standout entry even if the series as a whole seems very mixed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Counterthought, give Odyssey a try. It grabbed me in a way the couple I'd given a shot beforehand never did, it really feels like a standout entry even if the series as a whole seems very mixed.

I finished Odyssey for my first, and probably only, time last week.

When the game is good, it's great.

Shame about the other 90% of the game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I finished Odyssey for my first, and probably only, time last week.

When the game is good, it's great.

Shame about the other 90% of the game.

I'm 60 hours in after finding it fun and charming enough to make the effort to continue after switching consoles, and still having a blast :shrug:

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I really enjoyed my first 60 hours of rear end:O, and then i hit the point where i realized i wasn't even halfway through the game and so i kinda gave up. theres just too much to do.

Little thing: Cyberpunk went the opposite way. Instead of burning out halfway through, i got to the end at like hour 60 and was like drat i'm still in the mood for this. I guess this means my sweetspot for open world games is about 80 hours?

GAYIDS
May 3, 2020

by Pragmatica
I like the part where the lady touches the lights on the screen and then the letters appear !!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm forty hours into Odyssey and loving the hell out of it. Combat is fun and hasn't gotten stale for me yet, the world is really nice looking and just a relaxing joy to ride around, and the high points of things so far are REALLY high.

I just finished the quest where you meet Chrysis and she tries to burn the baby to make her escape. Kassandra just going the hell off on her in the cutscene before had me pumping my fist in the air ready to go. I can't wait to track this piece of poo poo down and give her what's coming to her.

I love how Ubisoft seemed so completely resistant to female playable assassins for so long, but then like, every one of them they've made has been fuckin' awesome. Honestly, I would follow Kassandra into hell if she needed me, she's so fuckin' cool. :swoon:

Vandar has a new favorite as of 07:51 on Jan 6, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I can recommend Fenyx since it's half the price, half the padding, and is essentially a sequel-spinoff to Odyssey. The cartoony aesthetic means you're not as grounded so you can all but fly and fight mythical enemies with your Devil May Cry powers. It even has the wire-snatch move.

You just have to skip past the plot.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Lechtansi posted:

I really enjoyed my first 60 hours of rear end:O, and then i hit the point where i realized i wasn't even halfway through the game and so i kinda gave up. theres just too much to do.

Little thing: Cyberpunk went the opposite way. Instead of burning out halfway through, i got to the end at like hour 60 and was like drat i'm still in the mood for this. I guess this means my sweetspot for open world games is about 80 hours?

I haven't played Cyberpunk but the AC games have just so much busywork to do. If the AC series cut out everything but the main story and a couple of the best side missions, I'd play a lot more of them.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Oh my god, this game

I laughed so hard at the fate of Testikles, and my heroes just going 'Well *poo poo*' :o:

edit: also the Argonaut Fleece armour is the best piece :colbert:

I see a lot of folks say the armour / weapons in Odyssey is a constant churn - I have been keeping more or less the same pieces and upgrading them for a big portion of my game - its expensive but if you find a piece with good +stats and effects, hang on to it. My three loadout slots for Melee, Archer and Assassin are all as tuned for that skillset as possible.

Assassin especially, everything has +to Assassin skill and effects for Rush Kill +1 / 25%+ to Bosses etc, to the detriment of armor protection or anything else. Basically if I'm in secret stab mode I'm not allowed to be spotted or I'm in for a hard fight.

NoneMoreNegative has a new favorite as of 10:00 on Jan 6, 2021

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I can recommend Fenyx since it's half the price, half the padding, and is essentially a sequel-spinoff to Odyssey. The cartoony aesthetic means you're not as grounded so you can all but fly and fight mythical enemies with your Devil May Cry powers. It even has the wire-snatch move.

You just have to skip past the plot.

IDK I'm finding the story kind of funny so far. Barely started the game though :P

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I played through all of AssCreed Origins and it did a thing that kinda irritated me and made me curious about Origins and now Valhalla, which is:

A whole lot of the side quests seemed kind of tongue in cheek and not really taking the world seriously. There's room for humour in games but for every good humorous quest like The Flea of Cyrene there were three along the lines of "hurf durf I pooped my pants running away from the crocodiles, can you please kill them and retrieve my poo poo pants".

Did they fix that in later instalments?

I played through Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon Zero Dawn which are both definitely 'Witcher3-likes' in their approach and they did a lot better in treating their world with integrity so their humorous quests stuck the landing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The "humor" in Valhalla is pretty dire.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The only thing I find interesting about the latest crop of Ubisoft games is that I think it's hilarious that Fenyx Rising got overshadowed last year in the field of 'vibrant and eclectic action game set in Greek myth that retains the historical setting and majesty while injecting it with modern storytelling and humor, using the classic tales as set dressing while telling a new story inspired by it'. You wouldn't really think that specific a field would have competition, especially in the years since God of War moved on from Greece, but apparently it's still a field competitive enough to lose in.

I'm surprised how much I like Zagreus' voice acting in Hades. Even someone like me, who's dogshit at understanding emotions in performances, can tell exactly how he feels about every single person he talks to from one single line.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

I actually think this drags the game down a bit in two ways. The first is I hate that some random clerk in a toga is able to kill me in one punch because the game just slapped a larger number on him.

The second is, even if you do manage to kill someone above your level they’ll just drop gear that is their level so you just wasted your time for a reward which may be outclassed by the time you actually reach that level.
To be honest I can't see the RPG systems in the game as anything but a crutch - there's no incentive to do half the filler poo poo without XP and gear, but other than the actual unlockable abilities (which are generally really well done and open up different ways to play!) they're not actually interesting. Everything scales with you so you'll be fighting the same enemies from start to finish and since armour/weapons also scale it's not like you can get cool high level gear by taking on tough challenges, it just adds more busywork of equipping new functionally identical gear every level or two. Oh I'm level 360 and I'm still fighting and exchanging the same damage numbers as the wolves I met at level 4, how rewarding.

I realise this sounds reductive and could be levelled at a lot of other Action Games With RPG Elements, and it's a problem I have with quite a lot of them... but for some reason the homogeneous Ubisoft game approach just makes it feel very transparent. This stuff just doesn't add to the game in any meaningful way and it renders player skill secondary to a very linear progress bar of meaningless numbers.

Also it's a way to just keep the game "live" to justify it as an ongoing investment and sell XP boosters for real money.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

The only thing I find interesting about the latest crop of Ubisoft games is that I think it's hilarious that Fenyx Rising got overshadowed last year in the field of 'vibrant and eclectic action game set in Greek myth that retains the historical setting and majesty while injecting it with modern storytelling and humor, using the classic tales as set dressing while telling a new story inspired by it'. You wouldn't really think that specific a field would have competition, especially in the years since God of War moved on from Greece, but apparently it's still a field competitive enough to lose in.

I'm surprised how much I like Zagreus' voice acting in Hades. Even someone like me, who's dogshit at understanding emotions in performances, can tell exactly how he feels about every single person he talks to from one single line.

Hades is cheaper, a different genre, and the internet got real horny over everyone in it because they're fuckin' weirdos

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

You can adjust the scaling to be what you want now at least. You can make everything scale with you or I believe completely turn off scaling so that going back to earlier zones means running around one shotting everything, and going to higher level zones is probably death.

They didn't add that in till later I believe though? Still doesn't actually change the enemies you fight really, outside of them wearing fancy armor and such

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
At least Odyssey let you play as a woman. Who you can happily play as an extremely gay woman.

(let's not talk about the MUST HAVE BABY DLC)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
AC Odyssey had one bit of story DLC, where you go to Heaven, Hell, and Atlantis, and one bit of story DLC which is split into a bunch of smaller stories around Greece. That's it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

At least Odyssey let you play as a woman. Who you can happily play as an extremely gay woman.

(let's not talk about the MUST HAVE BABY DLC)

I love how completely and utterly thirsty Daphnae from the Daughters of Artemis is for Kassandra. Like, not even trying to hide it.

I hope when I finish the legendary animals questline, there’s an option for her and Kass to get a nice little cottage together somewhere. :swoon:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Vandar posted:

I love how completely and utterly thirsty Daphnae from the Daughters of Artemis is for Kassandra. Like, not even trying to hide it.

I hope when I finish the legendary animals questline, there’s an option for her and Kass to get a nice little cottage together somewhere. :swoon:

A helpful note: when you go to hand in the last of the animal skins, Daphnae is no longer at her temple / lodge, she is way over the map on Chios Island. I was lost a while at this point :o:

Post back when you do finish, pls.

NoneMoreNegative has a new favorite as of 15:44 on Jan 6, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vandar posted:

ha ha

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

ha ha

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bewilderment posted:

I played through all of AssCreed Origins and it did a thing that kinda irritated me and made me curious about Origins and now Valhalla, which is:

A whole lot of the side quests seemed kind of tongue in cheek and not really taking the world seriously. There's room for humour in games but for every good humorous quest like The Flea of Cyrene there were three along the lines of "hurf durf I pooped my pants running away from the crocodiles, can you please kill them and retrieve my poo poo pants".

Did they fix that in later instalments?

I played through Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon Zero Dawn which are both definitely 'Witcher3-likes' in their approach and they did a lot better in treating their world with integrity so their humorous quests stuck the landing.

I don't know if everyone would call it a fix, but Valhalla is a lot more serious with its side quests, yes.

Origins came before Odyssey. but I recall it being less slapstick as well.

BioEnchanted posted:

IDK I'm finding the story kind of funny so far. Barely started the game though :P

I only got up to unlocking the little hub area and canceled Ubi+ for now because I have other stuff to play, but I imagine the narration stuff falls off once things get more open ended.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Vandar posted:

That whole quest line makes it blindingly obvious that Kass was meant to be the main protagonist. It makes no sense at all for Alexios.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Catzilla posted:

That whole quest line makes it blindingly obvious that Kass was meant to be the main protagonist. It makes no sense at all for Alexios.

It has been stated that Kass was meant to be the only protagonist until the market team of Ubisoft demanded that they made a male protagonist too.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Post back when you do finish, pls.

Oh no.

It'll be a while before I'm strong enough to finish the animals but I will try to remember to post back...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Alhazred posted:

It has been stated that Kass was meant to be the only protagonist until the market team of Ubisoft demanded that they made a male protagonist too.

I am zero percent surprised, I keep thinking that she's memorably distinct for a game where you can choose male/female options without any substantial story differences and, well, :ms:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Origins came before Odyssey. but I recall it being less slapstick as well.

Origins was fairly serious, except any time Bayek interacted with little kids. Like the side mission that involves him jumping off higher and higher objects and the crowd of kids following him keeps getting larger.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hear all kind of griping about the plot of Immortals: Fenyx Rising, but it's working for me. I like the stuff with Aphrodite (got to the main boss in her area, probably gonna do a bunch of other stuff and leave all the bosses til later when I have a ludicrous amount of upgrades) and Zeus finally starting to develop some empathy for the others as he is forced through the story to see sides of them that he's never seen is an interesting use of the "Gods are assholes" idea. They are assholes who when their worst aspects are removed are forced to face what kind of people they really are and they don't like what they see..

Tthe screwball comedic stuff from the prologue was hilarious, but this is a new and interesting direction that I didn't see coming. Also the Phoenix OWNS :3:

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Jan 7, 2021

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I hear all kind of griping about the plot of Immortals: Fenyx Rising, but it's working for me. I like the stuff with Aphrodite (got to the main boss in her area, probably gonna do a bunch of other stuff and leave all the bosses til later when I have a ludicrous amount of upgrades) and Zeus finally starting to develop some empathy for the others as he is forced through the story to see sides of them that he's never seen is an interesting use of the "Gods are assholes" idea. They are assholes who when their worst aspects are removed are forced to face what kind of people they really are and they don't like what they see..

Tthe screwball comedic stuff from the prologue was hilarious, but this is a new and interesting direction that I didn't see coming. Also the Phoenix OWNS :3:

From what I've seen, each God has their essence removed which is basically their biggest trait. I didn't see Aphrodite so I don't know what her physical form, I'm just a bystander watching it time to time

Ares, without his power and strength, is a chicken :3:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

thecluckmeme posted:

From what I've seen, each God has their essence removed which is basically their biggest trait. I didn't see Aphrodite so I don't know what her physical form, I'm just a bystander watching it time to time

Ares, without his power and strength, is a chicken :3:

She's a tree that just wants to feed everyone shitloads of apples

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

She's a tree that just wants to feed everyone shitloads of apples

Which is appropriate given one of her greatest crimes came about due to her coveting an apple thanks to a spurned Eris causing problems.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah well gently caress you guys too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

OH NO, Aphrodite accidentally got Ares' essence!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I'm really digging Ghost of Tsushima, even if it is a little earnest sometimes and a touch too easy, even in hard mode. I'm only on the first act still, but there was a nice little side mission I did.

Throughout the game, there's been various duels, like miniboss battles with all the trappings of samurai movies. The gorgeous scenery, music and framing as you flick the sword out of its sheath is really atmospheric. One duel is with a guy who you find out has been impersonating a samurai. It loads like all the other duels, with a large health bar and everything, but as soon as you start he begins begging for you to spare him and that he wants to live, before you even get close to an attack. I love it when games pull this kinda thing - it reminded me a lot of the Mysterio fight in Spider-Man 2 on the PS2.