Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's funny how the logical conclusion of high end speculation without a stable labour base is the collapse of entire economies, and yet the right just kerp throwing themselves at it in the hope that maybe this time they won't be the ones getting hosed by it.

And then you have big brained dudes like Rees-Mogg senior who says actually this is good, because when you're already minted, you can speculate on this instability to get even more minted.

Burn the loving aristocracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it's sort of true, the right's base is horrible megaboomers who are all on pensions and own their former council house and get free everything and basically exist on massive amounts of state subsidy throughout their entire lives, and in return for being given flags to clap at like loving seals they want everyone else to have all of that taken away because they are absolutely loving convinced they achieved everything they have by their own hands, rather than having it given to them on a plate.

So they aren't hurt by it, because they get everything they want either way, the cuts only ever hurt us.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

The only real issue with them FB maths problems that makes them actually confounding even to someone who really knows their maths is the ‘/‘ symbol. No one who needs to do maths that actually matters ever uses it (without brackets anyway, in the case of typing out your sums), because it’s the part which brings actual ambiguity. Is 2/3+1 two thirds add one, or 2 over 4? This is why it should be made a totally invalid way of writing a sum unless used with brackets, with the preference being a fractional form.

I've tried to stay out of this but that ambiguity would totally still be there even if you wrote it out as 2÷3+1, and unless you want Unicode to provide ⅔ but for every single combination of every single whole number (which might cause some storage problems) that ambiguity is always going to be there for people who don't know the order of precedence.

e: The actual problem with all of those FB maths problems is that the ambiguity is deliberate and it's pointless intellectual dick-waving but if we banned pointless dick-waving from the internet there'd be no internet.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 6, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Unicode could handle that fine with combining characters :colbert:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Guavanaut posted:

These also look awesome.

That's a big game of Guess Who!

The Question IRL posted:

That was the plan. But just like with that press conference they got it's location mixed up and ended up going to Moscow, Scotland.

When I was a small child I was briefly convinced my aunt and uncle lived in Russia due to this mix up.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 6, 2021

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I thought the main issue with the FB sums things was that they use pictograms to represent numbers, but then use an undefined pictogram that's supposed to represent half the defined one (so 2 bananas = 5 and the sum shows 1 banana) but that's not how pictograms work. The half pictogram can mean absolutely anything.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

josh04 posted:

Unicode could handle that fine with combining characters :colbert:

I'm aware of that (and you could even do it with just super- and sub-script characters, e.g. ⁴˛⁰⁄₆₉ or 420/69 if for some reason you wanted to keep it compatible with really old browsers) but remember what I said about pointless dick-waving being the only actual content on the internet?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Lungboy posted:

I thought the main issue with the FB sums things was that they use pictograms to represent numbers, but then use an undefined pictogram that's supposed to represent half the defined one (so 2 bananas = 5 and the sum shows 1 banana) but that's not how pictograms work. The half pictogram can mean absolutely anything.

That's a completely different category of dumb bullshit FB sums!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've tried to stay out of this but that ambiguity would totally still be there even if you wrote it out as 2÷3+1, and unless you want Unicode to provide ⅔ but for every single combination of every single whole number (which might cause some storage problems) that ambiguity is always going to be there for people who don't know the order of precedence.

e: The actual problem with all of those FB maths problems is that the ambiguity is deliberate and it's pointless intellectual dick-waving but if we banned pointless dick-waving from the internet there'd be no internet.

Huh, not sure what you mean here. The ÷ symbol is functionally exactly the same as the / symbol. What I meant was either writing it as (2/3)+1 or 2/(3+1), or as the fractions below are written. That removes all ambiguity, unless you literally don't know how to evaluate those equations.

E: Anyway, just finished reading Fisher's Capitalist Realism. A good read and pretty much describes where we're at pretty well, but his assertion at the end that it's now a prime time for new ways of living to be taken on board just seems very baselessly optimistic to me. Any small event can rip through the grey curtain for all of about five minutes, then is crushed, drops out of the news cycle and is forgotten forever.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 6, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Reveilled posted:

And there's only one of them that's any good and it doesn't do any half pictogram bullshit:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

And there's only one of them that's any good and it doesn't do any half pictogram bullshit:

Oh yeah that's a good one for loving with people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there a reason it uses emoticons rather than letters?

Am I allowed to use emoticons instead of letters to do algebra? If I could remember how to do algebra anyway?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a reason it uses emoticons rather than letters?

Am I allowed to use emoticons instead of letters to do algebra? If I could remember how to do algebra anyway?

Oh yeah sure.

Give it a go. It definitely is solvable too.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Private Speech posted:

Oh yeah sure.

Give it a go. It definitely is solvable too.

This is cruel and you should feel bad.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guavanaut posted:

This is the sort of thing that I'd give up on after 20 minutes and end up getting through trial and error. So I won't even bother trying. So there.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

That's a big game of Guess Who!

When I was a small child I was briefly convinced my aunt and uncle lived in Russia due to this mix up.

My mother told some friends in Wales that I was moving to Cairo - Oh... so she's moving to Cardiff then, isn't it? (There's an area of Cardiff called Caerau).
This was a spoken conversation not written.
There's also a small town in Illinois, US called Cairo and another called in Arkansas Egypt. So I used to have to add 'the one with the pyramids' when I was talking about my home to americans in forums.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Here's the solution for anyone who hasn't heard of it.

It was a pretty funny meme a while back.

https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-fi...be901&srid=u13p

It's worth reading.

TL;DR:

a=154476802108746166441951315019919837485664325669565431700026634898253202035277999,
b=36875131794129999827197811565225474825492979968971970996283137471637224634055579,
c=4373612677928697257861252602371390152816537558161613618621437993378423467772036

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 6, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Reveilled posted:

And if you post a comment to the effect that "if by half a banana you mean this, then the answer is A, but if by 3 strawberries you mean that, then the answer is B you then get a whole pileon of people who think you are stupid and don't know how to do simple sums because it is 'obvious'. Hence why I don't do them anymore.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

🍎🍍🍎🍌

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Going back to the rumours about Trump coming to Scotland; can't we deny him entry on the basis that it's not necessary travel?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Going back to the rumours about Trump coming to Scotland; can't we deny him entry on the basis that it's not necessary travel?

It's a US military flight, whichll be up to Westminster to block, which they won't, so he can land.
Scottish Police could potentially enforce restricting him to the plane, or maybe the airport, but he's still be President when he arrives, so that could be a diplomatic incident.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

It's worth reading.

TL;DR:

a=154476802108746166441951315019919837485664325669565431700026634898253202035277999,
b=36875131794129999827197811565225474825492979968971970996283137471637224634055579,
c=4373612677928697257861252602371390152816537558161613618621437993378423467772036

Whenever I see this sort of maths I'm really pleased that they exist, and that people that understand them exist, but am even more pleased that I don't have to interact with either on any meaningful level.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Sturgeon has said as much, so we'll see what ends up happening.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

It's worth reading.

TL;DR:

I didn't post the fully sadistic one, so you could get a correct answer with

a = 4,
b = -1,
c = 11

Which is more likely to make people go "that doesn't look right, let me check :aaaaa:" than "you just sharted a huge string of numbers at me, how was I meant to solve that :jerkbag:" but both are mathematically interesting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've got a solution the whole thread can get behind with regards to prosecuting antivaxxers. Lockup jack and mark zuckerberg and anyone else who is a billionaire and controls any form of media

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Whenever I see this sort of maths I'm really pleased that they exist, and that people that understand them exist, but am even more pleased that I don't have to interact with either on any meaningful level.

Imagine this making sense:

quote:

But even if you don’t know how to find the transformation, verifying it is easy – or, at least, purely mechanical. The required transformation in our case is given by the scary-looking formulas

𝑥=−28(𝑎+𝑏+2𝑐)6𝑎+6𝑏−𝑐

𝑦=364(𝑎−𝑏)6𝑎+6𝑏−𝑐

As a response to that problem.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

gonadic io posted:

She’s a bit busy dealing with some other essential travel at the moment.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

mehall posted:

It's a US military flight, whichll be up to Westminster to block, which they won't, so he can land.
Scottish Police could potentially enforce restricting him to the plane, or maybe the airport, but he's still be President when he arrives, so that could be a diplomatic incident.

There's no way Trump would make his grand exit in anything other than one of the VC-25s, this is probably just some USAF general or high-ranking spook rotating in or out of Menwith Hill or somewhere like that (they can't land them at the actual "RAF" bases because they don't have immigration posts, and if they ever want to go for a pleasant drive in the country on the wrong side of the road or something they have to be officially landed in the UK).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

gonadic io posted:

I'm fairly sure as he's a head of state she couldn't actually stop him because Scotland isn't allowed to have its own foreign policy (yet).

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm fairly sure as he's a head of state she couldn't actually stop him because Scotland isn't allowed to have its own foreign policy (yet).

Parking a lorry on Prestwick’s tarmac would do

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Since we're all in lockdown again I hope everyone's ready to bang cricket bats against wheelie bins for our heroes and give them their proper due.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55561108

No they're not workers who deserve safe conditions and fair compensation, they're heroes, all they need is recognition!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
🍆+💦

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Total Meatlove posted:

Parking a lorry on Prestwick’s tarmac would do

I don't think Sturgeon can stop Trump landing, but I do think she can stop anyone getting off the plane.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Number go up :toot:

https://twitter.com/DarrenEuronews/status/1346853305377501185

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Finally breaking the South Korea's Entire Pandemic/day barrier.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

12th night, so there's still room for it to go up.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Up here in Aberdeen I work in Starbucks and our two central stores are as busy, if not busier, than before this 'lockdown' was announced. Suddenly families and other folk are out in droves for their "exercise walks" which just happen to all pass by our stores. Its obscene and just makes me think no-one is paying attention at all and we'll see that number will continue to go up, up, up. I'm ashamed we are even keeping the doors open to be honest, and if I could I'd have my store closed until February and beyond, but alas money needs to be made and we'll skirt the line until explicitly told: "Stop"!

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

The majority are in England right? Scottish, Welsh and Northen Irish deaths seem to account for less individually but might be proportional

Speaking with people they're shocked at how England is essentially a plague land full of misery

Just an awful country

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Walked past my local chippy last night and there were half a dozen customers crammed into the narrow waiting area between the counter and the front window (maybe 3' by 10' tops) plus the three staff behind the counter serving and prepping. Nine or ten people in an area the size of a moderate living room.

They were wearing masks at least but jesus christ.

Normally people queue outdoors but it's unbelievably cold so I guess the boss just told the staff to let people wait inside so they didn't lose trade or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ash Crimson posted:

The majority are in England right? Scottish, Welsh and Northen Irish deaths seem to account for less individually but might be proportional

Speaking with people they're shocked at how England is essentially a plague land full of misery

Just an awful country

literally the post above yours:

Armani Glasses posted:

Up here in Aberdeen I work in Starbucks and our two central stores are as busy, if not busier, than before this 'lockdown' was announced. Suddenly families and other folk are out in droves for their "exercise walks" which just happen to all pass by our stores. Its obscene and just makes me think no-one is paying attention at all and we'll see that number will continue to go up, up, up. I'm ashamed we are even keeping the doors open to be honest, and if I could I'd have my store closed until February and beyond, but alas money needs to be made and we'll skirt the line until explicitly told: "Stop"!

but nooooo it's just England that's infecting everyone, the noble Scots are pure and bold :jerkbag: